Babysitter, babysitter!

Baek in a Box

 

 

 

From his spot on the couch, wrapped up in a blanket to ward off the cold, Mister Byun and Mister Ducky at his side, Baekhyun stared blankly at the television screen. It was the season finale of My Little Pony, but he seemed far from interested in it. No, something was not quite right with Chanyeol.

His birthday party had gone off without so much as a hitch (even though Baekhyun had to stay hidden the entire time), there was still a lot to clean up, even three days following. He didn’t have much of a chance to talk to Chanyeol; he wanted his house back in its perfect state and Baekhyun, despite multiple attempts at helping out, had continuously got into the way.

This resulted in Chanyeol going out to purchase several seasons of My Little Pony on dvd to keep Baekhyun occupied, and a somewhat hilarious – on Baekhyun’s part – conversation at the check out between Chanyeol and the worker.

“They’re for my niece,” he muttered, the tips of his ears turning pink with embarrassment.

“Sure,” the worker grinned.

But something wasn’t quite right. Chanyeol had cleaned the house, but he still hadn’t said a word to Baekhyun. Instead, he sat in the kitchen, staring blankly at his canvas. Baekhyun shook his head sadly. Maybe Chanyeol was sick again? It was a good think he liked bread.

But what if Chanyeol wasn’t sick? What if his Mister Giant was sad? Nobody should be alone when they’re sad.

Heaving a quiet sigh, Baekhyun shoved the massive blanket off of him, using the corner that draped over the side of the couch as a means to climb down. Quietly he waddled through the lounge room and into the conjoined kitchen to where Chanyeol sat, his cheek resting against his hand, a blank expression on his face.

Baekhyun gave Chanyeol’s pant leg a gentle tug, his big eyes full of concern.

“Mister Giant?” he asked quietly. “Are you okay?”

Chanyeol blinked, breaking out of his daze. Offering Baekhyun a small smile, Chanyeol scooped him up, placing him on his knee.

“Oh, I’m fine Baek,” he said, his voice somewhat distant. “I was just … Thinking.”

“About what?” Baekhyun asked.  Was Chanyeol mad at him? Maybe found out that Baekhyun had  - some time ago – discovered where he hid his sweets (and helped himself to them)?

Chanyeol shook his head, exhaling loudly. “One of my friends is coming over today.”

Baekhyun blinked, his head tilting to the side in confusion. “A friend? Are you having another party, Mister Giant? Will there be cake? I like cake. I like parties, too!” Baekhyun clapped his hands together excitedly, rocking on the balls of his feet. “Oh, can I come? Please?”

“No, Baekhyun. He is coming over to ask something of me.”

He? Baekhyun sighed inwardly with relief. Chanyeol wasn’t inviting a girl over! Baekhyun couldn’t quite hide his gladness over the fact. Closing the distance between himself and Chanyeol, Baekhyun reached out, grabbing a fistful of Chanyeol’s knitted jumper, pulling it gently.

“What does he want to ask you?” he asked. Maybe Chanyeol’s friend wanted to go to the picture theatre with him. They could all watch Frozen together!

Chanyeol offered Baekhyun a one shouldered shrug. “He said something about babysitting whilst he was off on a business trip. I didn’t know he had a kid.”

“Maybe it’s a puppy?” Baekhyun suggested, giddy with excitement. “I’ve always wanted to see a puppy! I bet they’re soft!”

“Or,” Chanyeol suggested, “maybe he has been asked to look after a niece of nephew? “

Baekhyun shook his head, resisting the urge to snort at the comment. A niece or nephew? Nope! It was definitely a puppy.

 


 

 

 

A loud knock echoed throughout the house and Baekhyun, startled, almost toppled off Chanyeol’s knee. Chanyeol shook his head, a small smile tugging the corners of his lips upwards.

“That would be Joonmyeon,” he said with a small nod. “Do you want to come see?”

Baekhyun nodded eagerly. Scooping him up with one hand, Chanyeol tucked him into the pocket of his cardigan. “Now, you need to be quiet, okay?”

Snuggling into the warmth of the pocket, Baekhyun tucked his knees up to his chest. If it meant looking after a puppy for a few days, he would do anything.

Making his way down the hallway and to the front door, Chanyeol unlocked it, welcoming his friend into his home. Joonmyeon looked visibly exhausted, thick bags under his eyes. With a large box in his hands, air holes poked into the top, he followed his friend back into the kitchen, placing it on the kitchen bench.

“See?” Baekhyun whispered just loud enough for Chanyeol to hear him, peering out of the pocket. “It is a puppy!”

“No it’s not,” Chanyeol muttered back, causing Joonmyeon to shoot him a confused glance.

“Sorry?” he asked. “It’s not what?”

Chanyeol shook his head quickly. “Nothing,” he dismissed. “So … What was it that you wanted to ask me?”

He turned his attention quickly to the box, attempting to peer in through one of the many air holes that littered the surface. Something shifted around inside the box, making Chanyeol both interested and concerned.

Joonmyeon sighed quietly. He looked as though he hadn’t managed a good night’s sleep in over a week.

“Work getting you down?” Chanyeol added and Joonmyeon offered him a one shouldered shrug.

“Yeah, it’s hard to have a balance between work and life. Coming home to a mess every night isn’t exactly something I enjoy.”

Chanyeol chuckled. Mess? Joonmyeon was one of the tidiest people he knew. His house was always immaculate.

Motioning towards the box on the bench, Joonmyeon continued, “I would like to ask you to babysit. I believe I have mentioned this briefly before? There’s an international conference coming up and I cannot seem to get out of it.”

“Babysit?” Chanyeol asked slowly. Joonmyeon had asked him a few days ago, but he was expecting something a little more … Human. “A puppy or a kitten? I didn’t know you were the type to keep pets, Joonmyeon.”

From Chanyeol’s cardigan pocket, Baekhyun could feel himself growing more and more giddy with excitement. A puppy! He could ride him about the house! He could hold onto its collar when Chanyeol would take it for walks. He would be like a knight, only his trusty steed was a canine. It would be so much fun.

Joonmyeon chuckled softly, dragging one hand through his hair. “If only,” he said. “That would be so simple.”

He unfolded the corners of the box, pulling them apart so the two could see the contents of the box. Chanyeol’s jaw dropped.

“Wow! He’s even taller than Joonmyeon!”

“Is that a cardigan? Really?”

Joonmyeon shook his head, heaving a heavy sigh. “The first one,” he said, “that is Jongin. The second, that’s Jongdae. He’s a bit of a Diva sometimes.”

Chanyeol couldn’t believe it. Baekhyun. They were all Baekhyun! Well … Not really. They were all Baekhyun’s height, each one with a different appearance, a different style – a different personality.

“Nine of them?” he asked, dumfounded.

Joonmyeon nodded. “You’re taking this a lot better than I intended,” he said, impressed. “I thought you would be freaking out and -“

Reaching into his pocket, his eyes still fixed on the nine tiny figures in the box, Chanyeol lifted Baekhyun out, placing him on the kitchen bench. Immediately, Bakehyun reached for the hem of his cape, twisting the fabric around shyly under Joonmyeon’s gaze. He backed away from the stranger uncertainly, until he reached Chanyeol.

“M-mister Giant?” he squeaked nervously. Chanyeol chuckled, placing Baekhyun on his shoulder. Immediately, Baekhyun tried to burry himself in Chanyeol’s hair. As brave as Baekhyun thought he was, this was his first time actually seeing another giant like Chanyeol so close up.

“Don’t be afraid, Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said quietly. “This is my friend, Joonmyeon. He’s not going to hurt you.”

Joonmyeon offered Baekhyun a warm smile. “Hello, Baekhyun.”

Turning away from Chanyeol’s face, Baekhyun inspected Chanyeol’s friend cautiously. “H-hello, Mister Joonmyeon,” he said quietly.

“Very polite,” Joonmyeon chuckled. Chanyeol  lifted Baekhyun from his shoulder, dumbfounded.

“Mister Joonmyeon?” he asked. “Why didn’t you call him ‘Mister Giant’ too?”

Baekhyun shifted on the spot nervously. “Because,” he said quietly, “for a giant, he isn’t very tall. And because you’re my Mister Giant ,” he added in no more of a murmur, looking at his feet.

“Baekhyun?” Joonmyeon asked kindly. “Would you like to meet the boys?”

“Boys?” Baekhyun asked shyly. “You have two puppies?”

“Oh no,” Joonmyeon said. One by one, he lifted each tiny figure out of the box, placing them on the kitchen bench. They were all just like him! Each one with tiny hats and tiny shirts. Tiny pants and tiny shoes. Baekhyun looked from them to Joonmyeon, confused.

Why were they here in Chanyeol’s house?

Quickly raising his hands out in front of him, Baekhyun pinched his eyes shut tightly,

“No!” he said, his voice shaking. “No, no, no! You can’t take Mister Giant! I won’t let you!”

Staring at the tiny figure in the palm of his hand, Chanyeol couldn’t hide his shock. Baekhyun was … Trying to protect him? Did he really mean that much to Baekhyun?

“Calm down, Baek,” he soothed. “I’m not going anywhere – and neither are you. I’m just … Going to be looking after them for a week, as well.”

Baekhyun nodded slowly, still less than thrilled. “They’re not allowed to sleep in your bed, though,” he said flatly. “Only I am.”

Joonmyeon fought hard to contain his laughter. “You let him sleep in your bed?” he asked. It didn’t matter how many times Chanyeol tried to explain that even though he did make Baekhyun his own little bed, he kept waking up with Baekhyun snuggled next to him, Joonmyeon would laugh harder and harder.

Chanyeol gave up. He placed Baekhyun on the kitchen bench next to what he decided was to be Baekhyun’s new ‘friends’ (despite Baekhyun’s protests that nothing could replace Mister Byun and Mister Ducky), turning his attention to Joonmyeon.

“Do they ever grow?” he asked quietly, moving to his friends side. “Or do they, you know … Stay that height forever?”

“There has been cases where they have grown,” Joonmyeon replied just as quietly. “But to do that, their guardian has to show them they truly care.”

That didn’t make sense. “Why hasn’t Baekhyun grown, then? I’ve made him a little bed. I wore a cape out in public for him! If that isn’t truly caring about him, I don’t know what is!”

“When the moment comes, you’ll know. But tell me,” Joonmyeon trailed off, glancing down at Baekhyun to was shyly introducing himself to the others, his cape wrapped protectively around him. “Why didn’t you tell me about Baekhyun?”

Chanyeol wasn’t quite sure how he was supposed to respond, so he didn’t. He remained quiet for a good, long while as he contemplated Joonmyeon’s question. After what seemed like an eternity, he exhaled quietly.

“Baekhyun ... He was my little secret. I guess, in a way, I’m like him. I had no intention of sharing Baekhyun with anyone.”

 

 

Decided to update tonight as I have a million things to do this week;
(Working on my Silent Hill cosplay is my priority seeing as the con is next saturday
and I like to leave things to the last minute. Luckily I'm good at making things gory? Huhuhu. ;w; )

A few of you have asked what would happen if Baekhyun was to meet a mini *insert EXO members name here*
This is what would happen. c:
Lots more chapters of mini EXO and babysitter Chanyeol to come.
Whooo~


List your mini EXO ships and I'll do my best to make them happen.
^^

PS: Happy early birthday to Aryetty!
Have a wonderful day!

PPS:  It's here, Jee~ It's here! :D

PPPS: Haha, made you keep reading~