Mister Cloud and the Puppy Next Door

Baek in a Box

 

Perched atop the coffee table, Baekhyun swung his legs back and forth. Across from him, Chanyeol sat on the couch, his hands tucked behind his head as he thought. Whilst Baekhyun could still see him – easily, too – he was undecided if he liked being this far away from Chanyeol.

Chanyeol was within snuggling distance. Almost. But no matter how many times Baekhyun would try and – inconspicuously – lean forward, his arms stretched out in front of him in an attempt to close the gap between the two, Chanyeol still seemed to be just out of his reach.

Baekhyun frowned. No, he had decided. He didn’t like being this far away from Chanyeol – particularly when he wanted nothing more than a cuddle from his giant.

“Mister Giant?” he called softly, unable to hide his smile when Chanyeol looked at him. “What are you thinking about?”

For quite a while now, Baekhyun had wanted to know what was on Chanyeol’s mind. For Baekhyun, he thought of Pinkie Pie, strawberries and ways to make Chanyeol smile. Was Chanyeol thinking of ways to make him smile?

Waiting quietly for Chanyeol’s response, Baekhyun wriggled with anticipation.

“Well,” said Chanyeol slowly. “Everyone is going home the day after tomorrow, so I’m trying to think of a way to make their last nights here enjoyable.”

Baekhyun’s heart sank. So Chanyeol was thinking about the others, not him.

“Oh,” he said quietly, crinkling his nose in thought. He didn’t want to let Chanyeol know he was disappointed. “We could have a My Little Pony marathon!” That sounded fun. He was sure everyone would enjoy that.

“Is My Little Pony all you think about, Baek?” Tao called from the other side of the coffee table, leaning around Sehun to look at him. Baekhyun shook his head.

“That’s not true!” Baekhyun defended with a pout. He crossed his arms in front of his chest with a huff. “I like Disney Princesses, too!” And Chanyeol. Baekhyun thought about Chanyeol mostly. All of those Disney Prince Charming’s paled in comparison to his Mister Giant. Nobody could compare.

“Oh,” Jongin mused from his spot on the couch (Baekhyun was glad to see that he and Kyungsoo were further away from Chanyeol than he himself). “What about a horror movie marathon?”

“Horror movies?” Chanyeol asked, startled. He knew that Baekhyun would have nightmares for a week at the very least if he allowed them to watch something even remotely scary. “Joonmyeon lets you watch those sorts of movies?”

Jongdae shook his head, flashing Jongin a broad grin.

“He doesn’t know. Jisoo lets us watch them.”

Chanyeol furrowed his brow. He had seen Joonmyeon’s sister Jisoo a few times, but he would have never expected Joonmyeon to introduce her to them. It was difficult for Chanyeol to let Yoora meet Baekhyun, and even harder to allow her to play with him and pinch his cheeks. Baekhyun was his, and Chanyeol didn’t want to share him with anyone.

He couldn’t imagine how difficult it must have been for Joonmyeon to introduce his sister to nine when one was hard enough.

Jongdae’s grin widened as he watched Chanyeol’s expression of shock change to one of confusion.

“That’s why I like Jisoo. She’s my favourite person to play with!”

Getting to his feet, Baekhyun twisted the ears of his bunny rabbit jumper; Chanyeol had forced him to wear it and, if it made him smile, Baekhyun would be willing to do anything.

“But I can’t watch a scary movie,” he said, twisting the fleecy ears nervously. “I don’t like werewolves!”

“Not all horror movies have werewolves in them,” Minseok called from his spot on the carpet, Luhan sprawled out comfortably at his side.

“Werewolves?” Chanyeol asked, glancing from Baekhyun to Minseok. “How do you know about Werewolves, Baek?”

“Oh!” Baekhyun exclaimed, releasing the rabbit ears. “Jongin told me about them! I even heard one!”

“You heard a Werewolf?” Jongin snorted and Baekhyun nodded his head so quickly that the long ears on his hood flopped in front of his eyes.

“Yes, I did!” Baekhyun said. “The night before the picnic! There was a werewolf outside. I heard it howling and … And growling! Werewolves are scary!”

Chanyeol furrowed his brow, contemplating what Baekhyun had said before it clicked.

“Oh, that wasn’t a werewolf,” he said, his lips tugging up into a small smile. “There is a dog that lives in the yard next door to our apartment building. That’s what you heard.”

Baekhyun’s face lit up immediately.

“Puppy?” he asked, extending his hands out towards Chanyeol and wiggling his fingers. A broad smile spread across Baekhyun’s face as he swung his legs to and fro once more. There was a puppy nearby! How exciting!

“Not quite,” Chanyeol said kindly. “A dog is bigger than a puppy – older too. This one has been there since I moved into this apartment – four years ago.”

Baekhyun couldn’t make sense of this. “Puppy,” he said slowly with a nod. A puppy was still a puppy, regardless of its age. Just like Chanyeol was always going to be his Mister Giant, even if he grew.

“Okay,” Chanyeol replied, reaching across the gap and scooping Baekhyun up gently in his hand. “It’s a puppy.”

 


 

 

Horrified, Baekhyun stared between Chanyeol and his friends, his jaw agape. His friends perched on a pillow in front of the television, having finally decided on Monsters Inc. That was scary enough for Baekhyun, Chanyeol had decided; the others would still be watching a movie with monsters in it, too.

Baekhyun couldn’t believe it – he just couldn’t. What were they doing? They were … They …

“No!” he cried loudly, doing his best to grab as much pink substance from his friends hands as he could. “Stop hurting Mister Cloud!”

The tiny pieces of the cloud felt light in his hands; torn, ruined. Baekhyun was certain he wouldn’t be able to fix it, but he had to try. Scampering over to where the majority of the cloud lay, Baekhyun attempted to desperately attach the torn pieces to the cloud.

“Ew,” Zitao whispered quietly to Kris who sat at his side. “I’m not eating that.”

“Good!” Baekhyun replied, his tiny hands shaking. The cloud was dying and he couldn’t do anything to help it. “Don’t touch Mister Cloud again! He’s hurt!”

“Mister Cloud?” Luhan asked, tilting his head to the side in confusion. “Sehun? What is he talking about?”

With a roll of his eyes, Chanyeol picked Baekhyun up in an attempt to move him away from the coffee table. To his surprise, however, Baekhyun didn’t want to be picked up. Not even by him. The smaller began to sob, clawing desperately at Chanyeol’s hand.

“Mister Cloud is dying! We have to help him!”

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol tried to sooth as he cradled the crying Baekhyun gently against his chest. “That isn’t a cloud.”

It took several minutes before Baekhyun had calmed down enough to speak. Doing his best to wriggle himself into a sitting position, Baekhyun wiped his eyes with the sleeve of his jumper.

“I-it’s not?” he sniffed and Chanyeol shook his head.

“Oh my sweet Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said softly. “That is Fairy Floss, not a cloud.”

Relieved it wasn’t a cloud, Baekhyun allowed his shoulders to slump in defeat.

“But,” he began warily, “we’re taking floss from the fairies! It isn’t ours!”

Placing Baekhyun on his shoulder, Chanyeol leaned forward, tugging a small amount of the sweet from the clump of Fairy Floss, handing it to Baekhyun who sniffed it, unsure.

“It’s just food,” Chanyeol explained. “Try some.”

Crinkling his nose, Baekhyun took the smallest bite of the fluffy treat. It melted in his mouth.

“Well?” Chanyeol asked, turning his attention back to the movie. “It’s sweet, isn’t it?”

Baekhyun snuggled into Chanyeol, nuzzling his face against Chanyeol’s cheek.

“It is,” he murmured softly. “But Mister Giant is sweeter.”

 

 

In Australia, Candy Floss is called Fairy Floss. c:
Just for those who are unfamilliar with the name~



I went to Oktoberfest in South Melbourne today.
Lots of sun, lots of music, lots of food.
And of course, lots of beer.
Mmm~ I like beer.
 

My eonnie stopped by this evening too, with a
 whole lot of delicious sweets from her Eid celebration.
Ahhh, I've fallen into a food coma~
With that being said, 
Happy Eid <3

 

Thank you to Foreverlocket for her adorable Fairy Floss suggestion~
And Jee because, well. Jee.

Happy saturday!~
TIme for bed, I think.