Cape Crew is Forever

Baek in a Box

 

It took Baekhyun a lot longer than usual to fall asleep that night. His fear of the Werewolf that prowled around in the darkness of the night had been put to rest, but he could still hear the howling. And that unsettled him. Why was the puppy howling? Was it scared, too? Maybe it didn’t like being alone.

But it wasn’t the howling that kept him awake. Sighing quietly, Baekhyun pushed himself into a sitting position and peered into the darkness of the room. From next to him, Baekhyun could hear Chanyeol’s quiet breathing; he was asleep and Baekhyun didn’t want to disturb him.

Somewhere on the other side of the bedroom slept his friends. His friends who were going to be leaving him very soon. Baekhyun didn’t want them to go – Chanyeol’s home was as good as any. Why couldn’t they stay here?

A lump formed in Baekhyun’s throat as he thought about his friends leaving; his eyes felt dry. His heart felt heavy. Burying his face into the pillow to mask his sobs, Baekhyun lay. He didn’t want to wake Chanyeol, nor did he want to wake his friends.

It didn’t matter if he wanted them to stay with him forever, they had to go back to Joonmyeon. Baekhyun was sure that he missed them.

Balling his tiny fists around the pillow, Baekhyun’s body relaxed. Tomorrow was their last day together and he didn’t want to ruin it for them by being sad. Forcing himself to sit up once more, Baekhyun stared into the darkness once more, forcing his lips upwards into a watery smile.

He didn’t want them to leave, but that didn’t mean that they all couldn’t still be friends. Cape Crew is forever. Cape Crew is family.

Allowing his shoulders to slump, Baekhyun snuggled into Chanyeol’s side and closed his eyes.

“Goodnight everyone,” he murmured. “Sleep well.”

 


 

Sitting cross legged on the kitchen table, his friends around him, Baekhyun watched Chanyeol set up. Covering a third of the dining table in newspaper, Chanyeol set about organizing his paint brushes, making sure they were absolutely spotless. Finally, he set five tiny pots of paint onto the table and offered them a smile.

“Who wants to go first?” he asked, and when nobody made a move to stand up, he added with a laugh: “Don’t worry, it washes off!”

Baekhyun waited for a few moments, just in case somebody else wanted to go first, before he picked himself up and made his way over to the newspaper. Chanyeol smiled down at him.

“What would you like to be, Baek?” he asked and Baekhyun frowned, contemplating.

“A puppy!” he said after a few short moments of thinking.

“Of course,” Chanyeol chuckled, dipping the paint brush into the white paint before brushing it gently against Baekhyun’s cheek. Baekhyun’s eyes widened when the bristles touched his face and he pinched his eyes shut, squirming.

“It tickles,” Baekhyun giggled, doing his best to not wriggle out of Chanyeol’s reach.

It took about five minutes before Chanyeol set his paintbrush down and smiled. Placing a small, pocket sized mirror on the table, he watched as Baekhyun studied his reflection. Baekhyun made the cutest Dalmatian.

“Well?” Chanyeol asked. “What do you think?”

Baekhyun beamed happily, curling his hands and drawing them up under his chin. “Woof! Woof!”

Giving Baekhyun a light pat on the head, he turned his attention to the nine others who sat, watching them. “Who is next?”

Yixing raised his hand shyly. “I’d like to be a bunny, please!”

“And I want to be Iron Man!” Jongin announced eagerly.

“Well,” said Jongdae. “I want to be an even better Iron Man! Pink! With sparkles!”

Chanyeol smiled. At last, they were finally having fun. He was going to make their final day together memorable.

 


 

One by one, the balloons that decorated the room were popped; Zitao and Sehun had taken a liking to pouncing on them, laughing gleefully when Yixing would scamper to safety, covering his ears.

The streamers that twisted from the ceiling, lining the room in a wave of rainbow were pulled down and shredded into what Minseok proudly called confetti, before showering Luhan with it.

Loud music echoed throughout the house as Jongin tried his very best to impress Kyungsoo with dance moves that he had learned from watching Taemin’s live performances. From on top of the coffee table, Jongdae decorated the cupcakes with small jelly lollies, pushing them deep into the center of the cupcake.

From the windowsill, Kris sat, draped in streamers, a small pile of lollies at his side. He smiled at the others, watching as they enjoyed their final afternoon in Chanyeol’s apartment.

When it was his turn to have his face painted, Kris was unsure of what to pick. He didn’t want to keep the others waiting, but he didn’t want to turn down Chanyeol’s kind gesture.

“Well,” Chanyeol had suggested when Kris remained silent. “What do you want to be?”

“With Joonmyeon,” Kris responded softly.

A small smile played across Kris’ face and he lifted a hand to touch the cheek that Chanyeol had painted on. He hadn’t painted anything extravagant. Just a simple heart. But to Kris, that meant more than anything.

 


 

 

Getting his nine tiny house guests as well as Baekhyun all cleaned up and ready for bed was a task far more difficult than what Chanyeol had counted on. He was determined to have them bathed and clean for when Joonmyeon collected them in the morning. But they seemed quite unwilling to part with their face paint.

Kris had already decided that he was keeping his, taking himself to bed a good hour before everyone else. Baekhyun, however … Chanyeol should have known.

Baekhyun knelt in the bathroom sink wailing as the paint coloured water began to drain. Again and again, he scooped up a handful of water and splashed it back onto his face, as if hoping that his puppy face paint would return.

“Puppy! No!” he cried desperately. “Come back, please! Woof, woof! Don’t go!”

With a roll of his eyes, Chanyeol tugged a towel from the rack and wrapped Baekhyun up in it. Taking the corner of the towel between his fingertips, Chanyeol gently dried the crying Baekhyun’s hair.

“It’s okay,” he soothed. “We can paint your face again tomorrow, if you’d like.”

Baekhyun sniffed quietly, snuggling into the warmth of the towel.

“And the day after that, too?” he asked and Chanyeol smiled.

“Maybe.”

 


 

 

The atmosphere was different in the apartment the next morning. Nobody spoke, nobody smiled. Baekhyun felt his stomach churn sickeningly as he sat on the couch, his eyes on the front door. He didn’t want to cry – his friends couldn’t stay with him forever. It would be wrong to make them.

Joonmyeon had promised to come by at eight thirty that morning to collect everyone. And, at eight fifteen, Baekhyun knew that he had only minutes left with his friends. Getting slowly to his feet, Baekhyun made his way slowly across the couch, his eyes downcast, until he reached Jongdae.

“Are you alright, Baek?” Jongdae asked slowly.

Baekhyun threw his arms around his friend and closed his eyes.

“I’m going to miss you all so much,” he whispered, trying his hardest to hold back his tears. To his surprise, Jongdae let out a small sniff, his arms, too, wrapped around Baekhyun as he returned the hug.

“And we’ll miss you, too.”

A loud knock on the front door made everyone freeze and almost immediately, Baekhyun felt his heart sink. Joonmyeon was here.

“Chanyeol?” he called, opening the door. Before Joonmyeon had a chance to close it behind him, Kris wrapped his arms around his ankle, burying his tiny face into the fabric of Joonmyeon’s trousers.

“I missed you too, Kris,” he chuckled, scooping the other up in his hands. He cast a glance around the lounge room, where nine other little faces sat, watching him. “Did you all behave yourselves?”

“Oh yes,” Jongin grinned. “We were angels.”

“I have no doubt,” Joonmyeon smiled before he made his way down the hallway to where Chanyeol sat in the kitchen. “Thank you for looking after them.”

“It was no problem,” Chanyeol replied, getting up to greet his friend. “Only, I don’t think Baekhyun wants them to leave.”

“That means he will have to come and visit,” Joonmyeon nodded. “A play date. I’m sure my sister would love to meet Baekhyun, too.”

“Er,” said Chanyeol. “Sure.”

Chanyeol had spent the morning away from the group, giving Baekhyun time to say goodbye to his friends. In the meantime, he prepared the large box that they had first arrived in, lining it with soft blankets for their journey home.

“You know,” he said smiling up at his friend. “I’m really going to miss having them here.”

 


 

Baekhyun sat on the windowsill, his nose pressed against the glass; waving slowly. He watched as Joonmyeon disappeared down the apartments long driveway, the large box in his hands. Even long after he had disappeared from view, Baekhyun continued to wave.

He felt empty.

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol said softly, lifting him away from the windowsill. “You don’t need to be brave. Sometimes, it’s okay to cry.”

At Chanyeol’s words, Baekhyun collapsed to his knees as he was overcome with sobs. Cradling him gently to his chest, Chanyeol tried his best to sooth Baekhyun, but to no avail. Nothing seemed to work.

Baekhyun’s tiny body began to shake violently as he continued to sob; Chanyeol bit his lip. Seeing Baekhyun like this broke his heart.

“Shhh,”Chanyeol soothed, wrapping his hand gently around the others waist and lifting him once more. “Don’t cry, Baek.”

 Holding him close, Chanyeol’s lips brushed gently against Baekhyun’s closed eyelids, kissing away his tears. It took just over a second for Baekhyun to realise what he was doing, but even longer for Chanyeol himself.

“U-uh,” he stammered, looking away. “You stopped crying.”

Baekhyun nodded silently, his watery eyes watching the small tinge of pink that crept across Chanyeol’s face.

Holding Baekhyun close to him, it took quite some time before Chanyeol was able to speak once more.

“Baekhyun,” he asked quietly as the other snuggled into his chest, closing his eyes. “Where’s your cape?”

“I don’t need it anymore,” Baekhyun murmured, wrapping his tiny fists around the fabric of Chanyeol’s jumper. His voice was hoarse from crying, his eyes stung.

“And why is that?”

Lifting his gaze, Baekhyun offered Chanyeol a watery smile.

“I just watched my friends leave,” he said in no more than a whisper. “They left, and it hurt. But, you said it’s okay to cry. I don’t need a cape to pretend that I’m brave. I know I am.”

 

 


Sorry guys, they couldn't stay there forever.
But don't worry, Cape Crew will be reunited eventually.


On another note, my speedy updates are because
I'm trying my best to finish this before my end of year
exams and assignments take over my top priority.
(Which will literally be in a day or two.
I have three weeks left to save the semester!)
Otherwise, you'll be left waiting for an update for a while.
^^' 


Thank you to emchan for the pretty poster~
Kissy scene credits goes to AmiMiya~ 

 

Ps: notice anything about the Baek chibi?