Chu~

Baek in a Box

 

Baekhyun sat on the couch, snuggled into Chanyeol’s side; from below, his heard the laughter of his friends as they explored Lego City, inventing many different games to play. Puffing out his cheeks, Baekhyun wrapped his fingers around Chanyeol’s jumper in an attempt to snuggle closer into his side.

It was Chanyeol who had suggested that Baekhyun had had enough play time for the day, and he certainly wasn’t going to disobey Chanyeol. It was Chanyeol who had caught him when he fell, making it look so effortless, like that saving his life was no big deal.

Baekhyun’s eyes filled with tears at the thought and he tilted his head backwards to get a better look at Chanyeol.

Mister Giant was so cool.

Rubbing his watery eyes with the back hem of his cape, Baekhyun got wobbly to his feet and gave the sleeve of Chanyeol’s jumper a small tug. Chanyeol’s lips tugged upwards into a small smile and, scooping Baekhyun up with one hand, placed the smaller on his shoulder.

“What’s up?” he asked quietly. “Did you want a better view of the Lego City?”

Baekhyun shook his head quickly, burying his face into Chanyeol’s hair. It was a better view from up here, but it wasn’t Lego City that he wanted to see.

“No,” Baekhyun squeaked, his voice muffled. “I wanted to thank you for saving me earlier.”

Chanyeol held back a chuckle. “Oh?” he asked. “That? I wasn’t about to let you fall. I wouldn’t let any of you fall.”

Oh.

So he would have saved anyone, regardless. Saving Baekhyun’s life really was no big deal to him. It might not have been important to Chanyeol, but to Baekhyun, it was more than a big deal.

Nuzzling his face into the side of Chanyeol’s head, Baekhyun forced a smile.

“Thank you,” he murmured, closing his eyes.

Chanyeol rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. He wasn’t entirely sure why Baekhyun was being so affectionate towards him. All he did was act on instinct. It was something anyone would have done to prevent someone dear to them getting hurt.

“Er, you’re welcome.”

“Mister Giant?” Baekhyun asked softly before falling silent. He didn’t know what exactly he wanted to ask. Chanyeol wasn’t really one for questions, after all.

“Yes, Baek?”

“Can I take you out to eat ice cream? I want to show you how thankful I am for everything that you have done for me.”

Chanyeol repeated Baekhyun’s words in his head. “Take me out?” he asked.

“Yes,” Baekhyun nodded, eagerly. His ears had turned pink with embarrassment but he refused to give up. “Like a date!”

Date?” Chanyeol asked uncertainly. Had he heard correctly? Again, Baekhyun nodded, only this time, he was disheartened by Chanyeol’s uncertainty. He fiddled with the hem of his cape, wrapping it protectively around him, as though without it, he might fall apart.

“Yes,” Baekhyun repeated. “We’ve already been on one date. Can we go on another?”

Chanyeol suppressed a laugh, dragging his fingertips through his hair, careful to avoid the side where Baekhyun had nestled himself.

“Baek, a date is supposed to be between two people who like each other.”

“But I like Mister Giant,” Baekhyun replied shyly.

“I know you do, but not in that way.” Chanyeol’s mind worked quickly, he had to figure a way to get Baekhyun sidetracked. “I thought you told me that you couldn’t buy things because you didn’t have any pockets to keep your money?”

Baekhyun thought about this for a second before wrapping his cape tighter around him. “Yes, I did. But I’ve thought of a way around it! I don’t need pockets!”

“Pardon?”

Sliding down Chanyeol’s arm, Baekhyun motioned for him to follow. “I’ll show you!” he announced proudly, puffing out his chest. “I’ve been saving!”

“Saving?” Chanyeol asked as he helped Baekhyun down from the couch and watched him scurry off down the hallway, almost tripping over his cape in his haste. Allowing his shoulders to slump, Chanyeol shot a sweeping glance across Lego City where the others played happily. They would be fine by themselves for a while. Letting a quiet sigh escape his lips, Chanyeol followed Baekhyun down the hallway and into their bedroom.

Baekhyun waited for Chanyeol to come into the room before wiggling into the gap under the chest of drawers, returning moments later with a match box.

“See?” Baekhyun said, proudly, pushing the match box towards Chanyeol. “See? I saved! I saved up lots of coins!”

Crouching down, Chanyeol picked the matchbox up with two fingers and, with a single tap from his index finger, the cardboard tray slid out. Chanyeol scanned over the match boxes contents, fighting back the urge to smile. Baekhyun had indeed managed to save. Forty cents, all in tiny five cent pieces.

Baekhyun stared up at him excitedly, hopping from one foot to the other.

“That’s enough money to buy ice cream for the both of us, right?” he asked, hopefully.

No.

“Sure, Baek.”

Baekhyun couldn’t contain his excitement. Launching himself forward, he wrapped his arms tightly around Chanyeol’s ankle in the biggest hug he could muster.

“Can we go then?”

“Go where?”

“On a date!”

 


 

Chanyeol let out a quiet sigh as he sat alone at the café table. Baekhyun had – somehow – convinced him to leave the others behind. It was just a date between them, after all. But he couldn’t help but worry about the others being home alone; what were they up to? Were they okay? Perhaps more importantly, was his house okay?

He felt stupid. With a thick scarf wrapped around his neck, Chanyeol sat at the most secluded table in the café, a large – almost untouched – sundae sat on the table in front of him. The spoon was missing, so even if he wanted to eat, he couldn’t.

Baekhyun sat next to him in the booth, Chanyeol shielding him from view. With the spoon in his lap, Baekhyun, his face covered in ice cream, ate happily.

Yum~” he smiled, tapping the toes of his tiny shoes together in contentment. Shooting a glance up at Chanyeol who was staring absently at the sundae on the table, Baekhyun blinked.

“Mister Giant?” he asked, doing his best to lift the heavy spoon from his lap in an attempt to offer his spoon full to Chanyeol. “Why aren’t you eating? Have some of mine!”

“No thank you,” Chanyeol said, a small smile tugging the corners of his lips upwards when he noticed the ice cream smeared across Baekhyun’s tiny face.

“But,” Baekhyun pouted, doing his best to lift the spoon higher. “It’s not a date if you don’t eat, too!”

With a roll of his eyes, Chanyeol took the spoon from Baekhyun. “Fine,” he said. “I’ll eat.”

 


 

Chanyeol didn’t know what to expect when he and Baekhyun got home, but it certainly wasn’t this. Lego City had been broken apart, tiny, colourful blocks of Lego were scattered everywhere – down the hallway, under the couch, in the kitchen.

But there was not a single sign of anyone. Not the sound of laughter or whispers. Nothing. Where was everyone?

Taking Baekhyun from his shoulder, Chanyeol held him close protectively. Had somebody come into his apartment while they were away? Quietly, Chanyeol crept through the house, peering into each room and under every surface.

Stealing a glance into the bedroom, Chanyeol rolled his eyes. There, the nine of them lay, sprawled out across the covers of his bed, sound asleep. A packet of potato chips had been opened – or rather popped, from what Chanyeol could only assume by someone jumping on them – crumbs littering every surface.

So then, that’s what they had gotten up to.

“Looks like an early night, Baek,” Chanyeol sighed. It had been a long day, so he was looking forward to curling up in bed and falling asleep. But first, he had a few things to tidy. Picking Baekhyun’s friends up one by one, he carefully placed them in their box-like bed, draping a small blanket across them all.

They were sure to have stomach aches in the morning.

After cleaning the potato chip crumbs, Chanyeol changed into his pajamas and climbed into bed, tucking Baekhyun in on the other side.

“Night,” he yawned, closing his eyes.

“Goodnight, Mister Giant.”

Baekhyun waited for the sound of Chanyeol’s gentle breathing to fill the room before he wriggled out of the covers, tip toeing his way to Chanyeol’s side. This was his normal nightly routine.

Climbing up onto the pillow, Baekhyun pressed his lips gently against Chanyeol’s cheek, praying it didn’t wake him.

“Thank you for saving me today,” he said quietly. “And for letting me take you on a date.”

Snuggling down under the covers, Baekhyun cuddled up to Chanyeol and closed his eyes, a content smile on his face. 

 

 

So I wasn't going to update this week, but
I've finished an assignment and six weeks worth
of Archaeology abstracts in two days. May as well 
reward myself with a night off to write~

Sorry for spamming you constantly, Kira.
Thank you for your wonderful idea.