Dinner for Two

Baek in a Box

 

 

Baekhyun felt horrible. He had upset Chanyeol, even though he didn’t mean to and that bothered Baekhyun more than it should have. Chanyeol was stressed; it was noticeable at first glance. However, Baekhyun felt as though he had contributed to Chanyeol’s raising stress levels. And just that thought alone was enough to make Baekhyun’s eyes brim with tears.

Drawing his knees to his chest, a quiet sigh escaped Baekhyun’s lips. It was his fault and his alone. If only he had let Jongin watch Taemin when he had first asked. It would have spared Chanyeol the headache and it would have spared Baekhyun the guilt.

A shiver ran through Baekhyun’s body as he sat in the corner of the lounge room, his cape wrapped in a protective cocoon around him. All around him, his new friends laughed and joked without a care in the world; Luhan and Minseok walked laps around the room hand in hand deep in conversation, Sehun tottering after them as fast as his tiny legs would carry him.

“Luhan, wait for me!”

Yi Fan sat with his back against the leg of the coffee table, Zitao’s head resting in his lap. Yixing sat cross legged on the floor, a very large crayon in hand, drawing. Every now and then, he would wander around the room, find Mister Byun and give the bear a hug.

Jongin had his back to Baekhyun, his hands flapping madly about whenever Taemin appeared on the screen. Kyungsoo sat next to him, staring blankly at the television, his hands supporting his cheeks.

Baekhyun shook his head. Everyone was off having fun except him. Everyone seemed to have somebody to cuddle when they were feeling sad, or snuggle up to when they were sleepy. For Baekhyun, that person was Chanyeol.

And his Chanyeol, his Mister Giant was stressed. Baekhyun had to do something to make it up to him.

But how?

 


 

 

With his hands tucked behind his back politely, Baekhyun rocked on the balls of his feet.

“Excuse me, Yixing?” he asked kindly. Yixing stopped colouring and looked up at him, a sweet smile on his face.

“Yes, Baekie?”

“When you’re finished with it, can I please borrow the blue crayon?”

“Of course,” Yixing smiled. Stooping down to the open box of crayons, he lifted the blue crayon out with two hands, passing it to Baekhyun. “I’m not going to use it, so you can have it now.”

Baekhyun fumbled with the weight of the crayon, doing his best to make himself seem strong.

“Ah, thank you!”

“You’re welcome,” Yixing said. “What do you need it for?”

Baekhyun contemplated telling him. He didn’t want Yixing to get the wrong idea, but at the same time, he didn’t want him to tell the others.

“I’m writing Mister Giant a letter.”

“Oh,” Yixing responded slowly, turning his attention back to his masterpiece. “If you need any help, just let me know. Okay?”

“Thank you.”

Retreating back to the far corner of the room proved to be a difficult fete, as was seeing over the top of the crayon. When Baekhyun made it back to his corner, he leaned the crayon against the wall with a relieved huff. Already having fetched a sheet of paper, Baekhyun stood, his hands resting on his tiny hips as he stared at it. What was he supposed to write? 

 

 

 

Yes, that was a good start. He was certain Chanyeol would like the ducky, too. Baekhyun puffed out his cheeks, both out of determination and frustration. This was a lot harder to write than he originally intended.

“Dear Mister Giant,” Baekhyun read quietly to himself as he maneuvered the crayon across the paper. “I am sorry if I made you mad. Please accept my apology.”

He couldn’t just leave it at that. The letter would mean nothing to Chanyeol if it ended there. Thinking quickly, Baekhyun placed the crayon against the paper once more.

“As my way of saying sorry, please have dinner with me.”

He trailed off. A date? Did he just ask Chanyeol on a dinner date? Baekhyun felt his cheeks heat up and he shook his head quickly. No, it couldn’t be a date. Not when it was in their own house! Right?

 

 


 

Baekhyun busied himself for the rest of the afternoon in the kitchen, gathering things for their dinner. Two strawberries would be perfect for the entrée; one for him, one for his Mister Giant. Candles? Yes, candles would be nice. He wanted everything to be perfect. Now, what about that main course?

Kyungsoo would occasionally wander in and out of the kitchen, offering Baekhyun helpful suggestions and, at times, even assisting him with his preparation and cooking. Whenever Kyungsoo would question what it was for, Baekhyun would shake his head, smile and insist he just wanted to try his hand at cooking.

“There,” Kyungsoo said, taking a step backwards. He surveyed the two tiny pancakes, proud. They had heated the small amount of mixture over one of the candles – after much of a struggle to light them  - and placed the now golden pancakes on two (extremely large) plates. Again, it was one for Chanyeol and one for Baekhyun.

Baekhyun was sure that Chanyeol would be quite full after eating his strawberry and pancake, but just to be sure, he double checked the pantry; a small packet of cookies were on the second shelf from the bottom. Baekhyun was sure that, with a bit of effort, he would be able to reach them.

Shooting a quick glance up at the clock on the kitchen wall, he thanked Kyungsoo for all of his help.

“Mister Giant will be home with dinner shortly,” he said. “Everyone is waiting in the living room, let’s go!”

He helped Kyungsoo down from the kitchen bench, then, hopping down one drawer at a time, Baekhyun followed Kyungsoo back into the living room. Shooting a quick glance over his shoulder, he could just make out the faint flicker of candle light on the kitchen bench.

Would that give it away, perhaps? Maybe the candles were a bit too much.

The front door swung open and Chanyeol entered, pizza box in hand. Making quick work of locking the front door, he crossed the between the door and the living room, placing the pizza box on the carpet.

“You should have seen the chef’s face when I asked him to cut the pizza into miniature slices,” he said, shaking his head. “Wouldn’t let me leave.”

Baekhyun crept closer and closer to Chanyeol who sat, cross legged with his back against the couch, watching with mild amusement as nine miniature beings grabbed at the tiny pizza slices hungrily. Giving the sleeve of Chanyeol’s jumper a light tug, he waited for Chanyeol to glance down at him.

“What’s the matter, Baek?” he asked, tilting his head to the side. “Is everything alright?”

Baekhyun nodded, lifting his arms upwards. With a quiet sigh, Chanyeol scooped him up, placing him on his shoulder. Nerves and excitement filled the pit of Baekhyun’s stomach and he snuggled into Chanyeol’s hair.

“Can I show you something, please?” he asked.

“Can it wait until after you’ve eaten?”

Shaking his head, Baekhyun stared intently at Chanyeol. The pancakes were going to go cold if he took any longer.

“Please?” he repeated. “I left it on our bed.”

Raising his eyebrows in confusion, Chanyeol shot Baekhyun a quizzical look. “Our?” he asked. “What could you have left there that couldn’t possibly wait until after you’ve eaten?”

Pushing himself to his feet, Chanyeol made his way slowly down the hallway with Baekhyun on his shoulder. Coming to a halt in the doorway of his bedroom, he flicked the light on. There, on his bed was a piece of paper.

“Did you draw me another picture?” he asked and Baekhyun shook his head, his cheeks puffing out.

“Read it!” he chirped. “Please read it!”

Chanyeol had crossed the bedroom in a single stride, the letter in his hand. His eyes scanned over the letter slowly; Baekhyun’s handwriting was incredibly hard to understand and – was that a duck wearing a top hat?

“But we were going to have dinner together,” Chanyeol said slowly after a long silence.

Baekhyun ran his fingers through a lock of Chanyeol’s hair nearest to him. “No,” he said shyly,” burying his face in embarrassment. “I mean … It’s in the kitchen.”

“What is?”

Baekhyun hesitated. “Dinner,” he replied quietly. “It … I made it for you.”

Wordlessly, Chanyeol placed the letter back on the bed. His legs seemed to move by themselves and, in the time it took him to string a reply together, he found himself already in the kitchen. There, on two saucers were strawberries; one for him and one for Baekhyun.

To one side was a candle that looked as though it had been burning for several hours; the wax dripped onto the kitchen bench, the candle now was nothing more than a stub. On the other was two large dinner plates, something incredibly tiny sat in the center of each one.

Chanyeol was certain he would be able to swallow whatever that was whole. Baekhyun, however, had laid out a knife and fork for him, just in case.

A large smiled played across Chanyeol’s face and he placed Baekhyun on the kitchen bench in front of one strawberry saucer.

“I’d love to have dinner with you, Baek.”

Baekhyun couldn’t contain the happiness and excitement that welled up inside of him.

“Really?” he beamed and Chanyeol nodded, picking up his knife and fork.

“It’s a date.”

 

 

 

My assignments are due in a few weeks (haven't started yet) and
I'm pretty sure my brain has gone into hibernation. No thinking for me~
That being said, what do you want to see next in the Mini EXO
and babysitter Chanyeol saga?

 

This update's idea is credited to misskizzy. Thank you, Kira~ <3


PS: Pretty sure Baekhyun's handwriting is neater than mine.

*wails*