Morning Rituals

Baek in a Box

 

Baekhyun’s eyelids were heavy, his hands stung from effort – and the more than occasional prick – his head often slumping forward as he attempted to stay awake as long as possible. It had been quite some hours since they had all gone to bed, Baekhyun having shooed his nine new friends out of Chanyeol’s bed with a huffy:

“Only I’m allowed to sleep with Mister Giant!”

He had snuggled into Chanyeol’s side and waited until he was certain they were all asleep before carefully – reluctantly – he wiggled out from Chanyeol’s side and made his way into the lounge room. It was there, sitting comfortably upon the couch (and, after quite a struggle to gather material and turn on the lamp) did Baekhyun spend the remainder of his night.

Baekhyun wanted more than anything to make it up to Jongdae. He had lied to Chanyeol in order to protect Baekhyun and, as a result, Baekhyun needed a way to show just how thankful he was.

Squinting in the lamp light, Baekhyun threaded another pink sequin onto the giant sewing needle carefully; his hands stung, tiny cuts scattered across the surface of his hands. Battle scars, Baekhyun had decided they were – all true heroes had them.

Jongdae had asked for a bejeweled cape – a pink one.  Baekhyun didn’t think Chanyeol had any jewels , or if he did, where he kept them. Sequins would do the same job, wouldn’t they? What Jongdae asked for, he would get.

Baekhyun wriggled happily at the thought of presenting Jongdae with his new, pink bejeweled cape. Oh, how he would love it! Right down to the darker sequined Pinkie Pie that adorned the back. It was, after all, the very least he could do to say thank you. And Baekhyun was certain that Jongdae would love the addition of Pinkie Pie.

If he didn’t, well … Baekhyun was particularly fond of it. Jongdae’s pink(ie pie) bejeweled cape, if he didn’t like it, was going to be in good hands.

A sigh of relief escaped Baekhyun’s lips as he finished securing the last sparkling sequin. His hands ached; his eyes stung. Neatly folding the tiny sequin cape, Baekhyun curled up into a small ball on the couch, wrapping his own fleece cape around him. It was cold in the lounge room – absolutely freezing. Baekhyun wanted nothing more than to climb back into bed and snuggle into Chanyeol’s side.

But he knew he wouldn’t be able to complete the journey back to Chanyeol’s bed without falling asleep. He had sacrificed being by Chanyeol’s side for most of the night, what was a few more hours going to do?

Baekhyun shivered. He had been so hard at work he didn’t realise just how cold the lounge room was.

“Mister Giant better wake up soon,” he whispered quietly, pinching his eyes shut as another violent shiver washed over his body. “I want a cuddle.”

Baekhyun’s lips tugged upwards into a small smile; the very thought filled him with a warmth that almost immediately eliminated the chills. Baekhyun’s face relaxed and he allowed sleep to take him.

A cuddle from Mister Giant would be nice…

 

 


 

 

 

Three hours of sleep was nowhere near enough, Baekhyun had realised. His head throbbed; his body felt heavy, sluggish. He was anything short of refreshed. Rubbing his tired eyes, Baekhyun reluctantly pushed himself into a sitting position and looked around the brightly lit lounge room.

The curtains had been drawn, letting the weak sunlight flood the room. From down the hallway, he heard Chanyeol humming to himself; his voice deep – something that Baekhyun always liked but never wanted him to know.

But something was far from how he had left it when he had gone to sleep;  Jongdae’s cape was missing and instead, one of Chanyeol’s woolen jumpers lay draped across him. Baekhyun couldn’t hide the bright smile that spread across his face as he climbed down from the couch, dragging Chanyeol’s jumper behind him;  Jongdae’s missing cape now the least of his concerns.

He padded softly into the kitchen where he spotted Chanyeol preparing himself breakfast – Several apples were had already been prepared – ten pieces, one for Baekhyun and each of his friends.

Chanyeol smiled down at Baekhyun as he came into the kitchen.

“Did you upgrade your cape?” he joked and Baekhyun shook his head, suddenly very embarrassed by the fact that he refused the leave Chanyeol’s jumper behind.

“It’s cold,” Baekhyun defended. He just wasn’t quite ready to part with it. “Thank you for leaving it with me.” He looked down at his feet, his ears turning pink.

“You’re welcome,” Chanyeol nodded, fixing his attention back onto breakfast. “Jongdae said thank you for the cape, by the way.”

“J-Jongdae?” Baekhyun stammered in shock. “How did you know it was for him?”

“Kyungsoo told me,” he replied simple.

“Oh.”

Baekhyun felt lost for words. He had been so excited to present his hard work to Jongdae. But if Chanyeol had given it to him … That was okay, too. Because that meant that he saw it before anybody else.

“Did Jongdae like it?” Baekhyun asked hopefully. “Did you like it too?” he added, quietly.

A small grin spread across Chanyeol’s face and he nodded.

“He did, but he said Pinkie Pie wasn’t his style.”

Baekhyun’s brow creased with confusion. Not his style? Pinkie Pie is everyone’s style.  “But isn’t that Kris’ line?”

“It was, but I guess Jongdae really looks up to him.”

Baekhyun held back a laugh. “Everyone looks up to Kris. He’s almost tall enough to be a giant, just like you!”

“Hardly,” Chanyeol snorted, his grin widening. “Can you do me a favour please, Baek?”

“Anything for you, Mister Giant,” Baekhyun replied, clasping his hands together hopefully.

Chanyeol paused, eyebrows raised. He hadn’t expected Baekhyun to say that. “Wonderful. Do you mind getting the others? Breakfast is ready.”

“Okay!” Baekhyun chirped. He turned around, trying to hurry off as quickly as possible, his body tangling in Chanyeol’s jumper.

“Careful,” Chanyeol laughed as Baekhyun wiggled free, his face bright read. With one quick look over his shoulder, Baekhyun hurried out of the kitchen, tugging Chanyeol’s jumper behind him.

It was the bathroom where Baekhyun found them; they had managed to climb up onto the bathroom counter and were studying themselves in the mirror.

“Breakfast!” Baekhyun squeaked as he clambered his way up the draws; they acted almost the same as stairs, only more difficult.

Pulling himself up onto the bathroom counter, he studied each one of his friends. Kyungsoo was brushing Jongin’s hair – with Chanyeol’s toothbrush.

“What are you doing?” Baekhyun asked him, tilting his head to the side. He had seen Chanyeol use that before and was certain it wasn’t supposed to be for hair.

“Brushing,” Kyungsoo said simply. “I didn’t know brushes this big existed! Look how soft Jongin’s hair looks!”

Baekhyun took a step closer to them. But Mister Giant puts that in his mou- “Wow, that does look soft!”

Kyungsoo beamed proudly. “Would you like me to brush your hair too, Baekhyun?”

“Yes please!”

He wanted to look as presentable as possible at breakfast. And, Baekhyun decided, he was going to sit the closest to Chanyeol, too.

Moving quickly to the side of the counter to wait his turn, Baekhyun let out a small noise of surprise.

“Luhan!” he squeaked. “Why do you have toothpaste on your face?”

“Practing shaving,” Luhan grinned, offering a small nod. “Yuck, it tastes like mint!”

“You’re not supposed to eat it!” Sehun clapped his hands together happily as he looked from Luhan to Baekhyun. “Doesn’t he look manly?”

Baekhyun smiled reluctantly. “Uh, sure.”

Mister Giant was manlier. Baekhyun let out a quiet sigh and he chewed on the sleeve of his jumper in thought.

Did Chanyeol use toothpaste to shave, too? Maybe he should try it one day ... 

 

 

 


Big thank you to NeverlasingEverland and shirubamuun for this chapters ideas~ 
Next chapter: Chanzilla. c;

 

I'm meeting Eric Nam tomorrow at Kwave.
Is anyone else going? Are you excited?~~