Beautiful

Beautiful

You never put yourself and the word ‘beautiful’ in the same sentence. It wasn’t right.

And now this boy that you had just met was calling you beautiful?

Was he taking the mick like basically everyone else? You didn’t think so. He looked and sounded sincere.

You came out from your state of shock and a nervous chuckle escaped you, your cheeks slowly turning red.

“I won’t believe it now. If you ask me when I’ve passed this phase– if I pass this phase – then maybe it might be a different story.”

He eyed you from his position on the bed. He had gorgeous eyes, much nicer than anyone else’s. Maybe you only thought that because you could see the truth in his eyes. Maybe they were just simply beautiful. Whatever the reason, you found yourself lost in his them. He shrugged and you snapped back to your harsh reality.

“Fair enough. I guess it’s my turn, right?” He wrenched himself up into a seated position, and, even though he had put on a shirt since you came over, you could still see where the shirt hugged and outlined his torso and arms.

You nodded, forcing your eyes to Jimin’s face, away from his body.

“Well, I’m in a band. It’s called BTS… we play locally; nothing big. I sing and I’m part of the dance line. And the dance line needs a good physique. Two years ago, I don’t think I would even be considered for a dance part. I was fat.

But I wanted it. So I worked. I worked hard.

Gym before and after school, I cut down on eating carbs, I even tried dieting pills. It worked and I got the part. But I didn’t stop trying to slim down, get in shape.  I became obsessed with my weight. So what’s the easiest way to lose weight? Well, it’s all over the paper these days… eating disorders. But the people with the disorders look so skinny.

I mean, I know it’s bad to be too skinny, but I needed to lose weight. So I started making myself sick. That’s the bulimia part of my story.

The depression came with it really. And the suicide with that. It’s all linked.

That’s it really. Not much else to say.” He shrugged again and then lent back against his pillows, leaving you gaping at him.

“Is that it? Is that really all you have to say?”

Let’s be honest; you really expected some long story about how he fought his own battles, mixed in with his feelings especially after you poured your heart out to him.

He cocked his head at you.

“I wouldn’t be able to word it as beautifully as you did. I’d just sound stupid.”

He looked back down at his sheets. His voice came out in a murmur and you heard the fragility beneath the words, his voice matching up with the weak boy image you got when you first saw him lying in bed topless. This was the pale face boy with whom you felt connected, the first person you had told your story too. And on top of that, he had great looks. He just didn’t know.

Before you knew what you were doing, you were up and your lips were pressed against his cheek. His cheek was shockingly cold, but his skin was soft. Though you were only kissing him for a couple of seconds, you felt something more than just a kiss. It was something special.

You pulled away and backed into your chair, throwing Jimin a sheepish glance.

“What was that for?”

You noticed that a bit of colour had gone to his face… a red colour, making Jimin look a bit like a tomato. He was blushing.

You smiled at this fact and reached forward, cupping his hand.

“Would you believe me if I said you were beautiful?”

He looked at you and you both started to laugh. The first time you had laughed, properly laughed, since being in this place.

He caught your eye and you saw something new: a slight twinkle.

“Y/n. I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship.”

I think so too.