026

The Missing Pieces

NOW

APRIL 2017

 

                NAEUN was finally up and fresh from her morning sleep. She slit open her eyes, rays of warm sunlight darting in generously. She got up, her Adidas sweatshirt creased and all over her body. She zipped up on a cold morning, and kicked away the white blanket that was tangling between her two long legs. She got off and headed outside.

                She yawned naturally, and scratching the top of her head in confusion. Why is Jongin sleeping across the living room? And since when did her house look this small?

                She turned around and realized that she was in fact not home. She was spending the night at Jongin's and when reality hit her hard at the back of her head; she was close to falling apart.

                Man, what a messed up life I’m living right now.

                Naeun stretched out her arms until it made a snapping sound and lazily dragged her feet towards the kitchen. Jongin was still deep in his sleep. She smiled instinctively and headed towards the marble counter in the kitchen. She placed a glass she grabbed from the cabinet and poured herself a water. Naeun finished it one shot before going out.

                She casually walked over the to the place where Jongin was sleeping and took an empty spot on the single couch that was sitting opposite to the long couch Jongin was squatting onto. She crossed her two legs up and sat back, one hand propping her head as she took her time to stare at the peaceful-looking man.

                Wait - what am I doing?

                Naeun's smile died right off, and she quickly got up to proceed back to the room. Naeun got up hastily, embarrassed, and carelessly stubbed her toe into the couch's leg that she shrieked in horror from the devastating pain of it. Blood gushed to her entire face, reddening even her ears and she couldn't help but to curse.

                "JEEEZUZZZZZZ CHRISTTTTTT MY ING TOEEEEEEE CRAP KKKKK"

                Jongin's eyes blinked open, surprised, and he quickly looked up to figure out what was going on before his eyes. Naeun was bending over his single couch, crying and cursing in agony before catching her collapsing dramatically to the floor.

                "OH MY GOD NAEUN WHAT HAPPENED"

                Naeun turned at Jongin, half-glaring half-half-wincing and pointed a finger at him. "YOU DO NOT YELL AT ME OR I WILL KICK YOUR JONGIN"

                "Naeun, you're gonna wake up the entire floor. Seriously, what happened?"

                "THAT STUPID COUCH HIT MY TOE AND NOW I CAN'T- I CANNOT BREATHE" Naeun choked on her tears, and her red eyes startled Jongin, compelling him to feel the same pain she was having.

                He quickly sprang off the couch and made his way carefully over to Naeun. He grabbed at her reddening and swelling toe bur his hand was shoved by Naeun in a swift.

                "WHERE THE ARE YOU TOUCHING YOU MONSTER?"

                "You need to calm down or you're gonna lose your voice with all the shouting, and I'm gonna lose my hearing."

                "BUT YOU CANNOT TOUCH THEREEEE!" Naeun squealed, punching him lightly on his biceps. "It stings like mothering kk! Oh my God I don't usually curse this much over a short period time but I AM LOSING MY SELF-CONTROL"

                "How did this happen?" Jongin's face turned and twisted, almost angry at Naeun for getting herself into endless trouble,s until he saw her silent tears dropped down on her one foot. He sighed, slightly amazed at her ability of going careless over a small incident before helping her to get up.

                "Can you walk?"

                "I don't know. But I do know that I can't FEEL MY FREAKING LEFT FOOT."

                "Stop shouting, Jesus." Jongin grabbed Naeun by her left arm, supporting her by the waist as he helped picked up her steps and carried her towards the couch.

                "Stay there," he added, gesturing a hand. "I'll go brush my teeth first, then I'll treat your toe."

                "I can't feel it. Do you think we need to cut it off?" Naeun cried in her breaking voice before pouting her lips like a baby at Jongin. He stopped breathing for moment, feeling drawn and breathless at her small effort of looking adorable before snapping it off and quickly pulled himself together.

                .

                "Yeah, we can totally cut it off. Lemme go find some chainsaw in my freaking garage to cut off that swelling, ‘mkay? How's that? D'you have anymore swelling body parts that need cut off? I'll be real gentle."

                Naeun grunted, punching him in the air because she couldn't move from his seat and Jongin made a face before disappearing into his room.

                "I hope you got stubbed in the bathroom and break you freaking foot, you savage."

 

 

                HYORIN picked the daily newspaper that has been sitting gingerly on her working desk, underneath the bills and stacking white papers she has dribbled something on. She stared at the big bold title - HEIRESS WEDDING GOT WRECKED BY GROOM'S SECRET AFFAIR - and chuckled at the irony of it.

                Secret affair? What else is new?

                A ring on her intercom came through and Hyorin shifted her attention towards the caller. Her assistant, Kyuri was calling her to remind her of her shareholder meeting within an hour.

               "I got it," Hyorin said calmly before thanking her. "Oh and be sure to bring the printed documents that I asked you to do yesterday. Is it signed by Mr. Jung Yonghwa?"

                "It has. But too bad Mr. Jung won't able to attend the meeting today because he's got a conference call on wine conference in Paris he needs to be at tomorrow morning."

               "Oh," Hyorin gasped, subtle shock plastered across her face as she didn't hear anything about any wine conference from her business partner personally. "I see. It's okay. I guess I have to give him the updates myself."

                "I can do that for you if you don't mind, Ma'am."

                "No, you don't have to. I have something else to talk to him about anyway. Thanks for reminding me again though."

                "Sure."

                Hyorin sat back, her silky long fingers tended to her throbbing temple and began to close her eyes. She sighed, hating to have her migraine came back early in the morning. She slowly opened her eyes, and her gaze instantly fell on the raging woman that was in Minhyuk's arm.

                That must the one who ruined a 10,000,000 KRW wedding, huh?

                She smiled a sly smile, like a fox gazing its ignorant prey behind the snow, calm and steady whilst weighing any potential harm her prey could bring. And then when she registered the wailing face of the woman on the cover page at the back of her mind, her heart almost stopped.

                Oh my God.

             Hyorin's body jolted forward on cue, her hand clasped at , eyes widen in agonizing terror as her eyes continued to stare at the picture.

                This can't be real -

                Lana?

                - You're still alive?!

 

 

                OKAY. So Jongin is, after all, still a decent guy. He helped put a band aid around Naeun's mushroom toe and even blew on it before carefully cut off the bandage. He raised his gaze, warm and full of concern at Naeun before drifting it away, afraid he would make her uncomfortable. Naeun looked down to her mummified toe and wriggled it to test for free mobilization.

                "Thank you for not restricting the blood flow."

                "Thank you for not shouting in my ear when I was treating your wound."

                "I held back."

                "I appreciate your effort then," Jongin breathed out, smiling, before getting up to his feet as he picked up the first aid kit.

                "Jongin," Naeun called, her hand reaching for his almost too naturally, and Jongin halted his steps.

                "Yes?" He asked, ignoring the hand that was on top on his. "What?"

                "I-" The word somehow got stuck in , and her expression looked as though she has some shameful confession to tell him.

                "You're starting to scare me."

                "I..." Naeun bit her bottom lips cowardly. "Wanna go home."

               

 

                NAEUN told Jongin that she still couldn't remember her password, so when she said she wanted to go home she meant her parents' house.

                "Okay. I can drive you there," Jongin offered as he made his way into kitchen. He took out a milk carton, two bowls and two glasses. "Let's have some breakfast first," he added whilst pulling out a cereal box from a food cabinet.

                "But I haven't brushed my teeth. Do you any spare brushes?"

                "Yeah, I do. But it's no soft brush. Is it okay with you?"

                "Yeah. Whatever. I don't have any other choice now, do I?" She then gestured a hand towards Jongin to come approach her. Jongin didn't question much, and stopped pouring the cornflakes into the bowl right away before going over towards Naeun.

                "Help me get up," she said assertively, tiny smile enhanced her feminine feature. Jongin chuckled, disbelief, and offered a hand for her to lean onto.

                "Anything for you, boss."

                "Aww. I don't always get to meet this kind side of you. I should get into more trouble."

             "Yeah. I can totally help you stub your another safe and sound toe."

                "Okay not funny."

                Jongin shut his mouth, gave her a small nod and help her walked over to the bathroom.

                "I'll be quiet," he said.

                "Yeah. Better." Naeun gave Jongin a smile of encouragement, her hand patting his shoulder.

                He helped her stand awkward in front of the sink in the bathroom and took out a new set of toothbrush from the drawer above head. Naeun glanced up, feeling weird to see a drawer on top of her head and cabinet underneath the sink.

                "Is it normal to have drawer above your head or it's you being you?"

                "The man who installed the cabinet hated me for breathing down his neck when he was doing the cabinet for the kitchen so he did that on purpose."

                "How do you reach for your stuff if you keep'em in the drawer? It's pretty high."

                "I don't reach for stuff. I feel them around and just fish anything out. If I'm lucky I'll succeed on my first try. If not I will have to use the stool. And this time around," Jongin said, presenting Naeun with a green toothbrush as though he was surprising her with a birthday gift. "I got lucky."

                "I'd be super annoyed if I were your girlfriend. Screw stool, I might just as well sue the crap out of that - whoever made this."

                Jongin laughed lightly as he took out the toothbrush from the packaging and wet it with the tap water. "I live alone, so that didn't matter. Besides, Sehun is a tall guy, so he never complained. Unless Kyungsoo. But he never stayed here long enough to use the bathroom. So, yeah, it's no big deal, really."

                "Is Sehun your friend? Kyungsoo too?"

                "Yep," Jongin said crisply. "Childhood friend and the latter one is university friend."

                Naeun nodded slowly. It hit her slow and steady that Jongin could possibly have a real life outside the world of internship - a world where Son Naeun didn't exist, and she hated to admit it, but she dreaded to go further at the reality of it because she was so used to having him around and do things for her and to think that they could someday become strangers again made her spine shiver with fear. Jongin seemed to be the kind of person she didn't want to lose now.

                "Then don't use that drawer. Use this cabinet below," Naeun said suddenly, distracting her mind from unnecessary thoughts. She was then filled with curiousitu of Jongin's life story and everything he has to tell her but she didn't feel like she deserved to listen to any of those.

                Who was she anyway?

                "That's for towels," Jongin answered calmly, and squeezed out some toothpaste onto the toothbrush. "Now stop talking, and start brushing."

                "Wait-" Naeun said abruptly. "My hair. I need to tie them up or it will get in the way of me brushing my teeth."

                "Oh," Jongin gasped. "Do you have your hairband?"

                "No. Do you have a shower cap?"

                Jongin squinted his eyes, confused. "What's the point of showering if you're not gonna wash your hair? That's just pointless."

                "So you don't have one. Oh well." Naeun then gathered all her hair in a knot and stick it underneath her sweatshirt before pulling forward the hoodie and tightening it to her face with the lace. Her round face looked like a moon and her clean face smiled wickedly at Jongin.

                "Don't be surprised. I am this creative," she let out dry, humorless laugh, and raised a brow before taking the toothbrush from Jongin's hand.

                "Uh-huh. Call me when you're done admiring your creative self. Or not. Whatever floats your goat." Jongin then walked away lazily before the top of Naeun's head. "Weirdo."

                "Hey, I can hear you!"

 

                JONGIN drove into the street that was directed by Naeun and he made a left turn by the time he saw palm trees lining up along a straight driveway. They drove on, quiet, until Naeun's hand squeezed at Jongin's right forearm.

                "Are we here? I don't see any house."

                "Yeah, because I don't want us to get too close. I'm afraid I might chicken out and needed a runaway, so I gotta make sure that you are within my parameter."

                Seconds after Naeun said that, reporters’ mpvs and wagons started flooding in from behind. They came in a herd and drove past Naeun and Jongin's car like wind gushing by the beach. Flawless and free. Naeun ducked her head, hiding behind dashboard before turning to look at Jongin, genuine surprise carved across her face, thousands of questions began playing in the back of her mind

                "Hate to break it to you, but I don't think you can go home today."

               

 

                MINHYUK drew his hand forward, gaze falling sadly at his lover sleeping peacefully on the bed. It has been 20 hours since his wedding got thrashed by this woman before him hut never once did he vent out on her for doing it. All he wished for is for Lana to just open her eyes and escape the torture she's in. All Minhyuk wished for is for Lana to wake up, smiling, though in tears at him again.

                Doctor Jinki walked in on him with making a sound, but his presence was expected by Minhuk. Jinki was his long friend since high school, and also the doctor who took in Lana'a depression case. Minhyuk has been consulting and discussing every details and decisions about Lana's medical procedure with Ji ki, and not many know this private treatment because Minhyuk wanted to keep Lana from media's attention as much as possible. How would people like it to find a former Miss Korea is still alive after being presumed death of suicide when she was out of country?

                Minhyuk turned to his right slightly, and dismissing Jinki naturally as he looked down to his feet, while Jinki was silently scribbling something down on his notes.

                "This is probably a bad advice, but you should really go home, take a rest, take a hot shower, get some substantial breakfast and clean up the mess Lana made. Reporters aren’t stupid. If they found out you're here, it's only a matter of time before everything went viral. You said you wanted to keep Lana safe, and I believe you can only do that if you're not by her side for now. You know I always keep you updated on her condition, right?"

                Jinki then squeezed Minhyuk's tensed shoulder, and his friend sighed, letting out a tired, low groan.

                "I can't think clearly right now. There's just so many people I need to give explanation to, and I hate having to even look them in their face while they are judging me on the inside. I ing hated to be dragged into the whole marriage thing, so shouldn't they at least expected this kind of stunt from me?" Minhyuk then gave out a sudden scoff. "Oh God, you should've seen my parents' faces when Lana charged at Naeun. It was ing epic."

               Jinki scowled at irrational Minhyuk, and his long cold stare shut Minhyuk off. Jinki shook his head in disappointment.

                "I know you're on the verge of breaking down to the floor right now, but you cannot run from this reality. Go out and settle this whole mess as quick as possible. Nip it in the bud or you will lose the luxury of keeping Lana by yourself. You know I say all this because I care. If you don't start doing something - anything - to fix this whole thing, you know it better yourself that you'll be in a great er ."

                "I know. I know that, I do." Minhyuk then averted his gaze, intimidated at Jinki's truthful remark about the wreckage Lana had caused yesterday. "I just don't know what should I really do, or what should I even say to all those people."

                “You can tell them the truth."

 

 

****

Hi~

I wonder if you guys are  beginning to see Minhyuk in a new light or -

you're just gonna wait for more details just to be sure ;)