013

The Missing Pieces

NOW

MARCH 2017

 

FRIDAY finally came, and to all the higher-ups of the hotel, they only wished tonight would go smoothly without any mishaps. Naeun, however, couldn’t be seen around the office since Jongin first clocked in that morning. He tried her room a couple of time to get her signature on the proposal about the new hotel’s construction in Jeju Island but she was still unavailable. Jongin decided to finally give her a call.

“Hello?” Naeun said after the call has connected through.

“Naeun,” Jongin called hastily. “Are you coming to work or not? I need your signature regarding the updates on Blue Diamond Hotel in Jeju Island.”

“Oh.” Naeun gasped. “I will be coming in, just a little late. I’m at my parents’ house, picking up the documents our tonight’s dinner date.”

“What kind of documents?”

“The ones that say who our dates for tonight are.”

“Do we need to study them or what?”

“Of course we do. We need to know everything about them to pull them in, right?”

Jongin grunted, hated the fact that he needed to do some reading on top of being forced to the ball. “Who is my date though? Is she young? Do you attach a photo with the documents?”

“She’s an old widow. I’d like to think when she was young and sensual, she seduced a married man before breaking his family apart. Soon enough she executed her old-time plan of killing his dumb ol’ husband years after they have married, which kinda explained why she got all his wealth after he died last two years of food poisoning.”

“Ha-ha,” Jongin sneered flatly. “You’re just making that up.”

“You’ll know when you get the papers, Jongin. Keep your heads up, ‘ey mate.” Naeun laughed hysterically at the end of the line, slowly sending Jongin to dwell in the negativity she falsely propagated.

“What about you?”

“What about me?” Naeun asked back almost blankly.

“What about your date?”

“Hahahh-,” Naeun chuckled in her cheerful sing-song tone. “Let’s just say he’s the total opposite to your date.”

“A high-school kid and poor?” Jongin snapped. “You’re an angel.”

“Yah Kim Jongin, he’s 27, you dimwit, and very pleasant to the eyes-”

“Please remember to come quickly to the office and sign these bloody documents so I can post it fast to the management over there without being cursed as a slowpoke intern, okay? Goodbye now.”

Jongin then hung up on her before getting back to his work, utterly irritated. He exhaled heavily before showing the documents that were in his hands.

Pleasant to eyes my .

 

JIHOO gave his daughter a worrying look across his face when he realized the lie she had just sputtered on the phone. He grabbed his tea cup, looking collected, before shooting his curious question at Naeun.

“May I know why you did that?”

Naeun pouted , and slammed down the papers furiously as she sank deep in her chair. “I don’t know. You tell me, dad. Why would you set Jongin up with Hyorin? You know I don’t like her. She’s a brat, playgirls and she thinks she’s better than me.”

“Exactly my point. I set her up with a man, not a woman, Naeun. I don’t how that could upset you. And by the way, maybe, in the smallest space in the universe, she is better than you.”

Naeun gasped, jaw dropped, hands grasping at her hurting chest. “You did not just say that? My Lord, you’re worse than Kim Jongin. Dad, you better take it back or I will flip out real bad.”

“Flip badly how? You’re in my house. You don’t have the power.”

Naeun shut in tight, frustrated line as she rolled her eyes at her dad that could travel into another galaxy. “Hyorin is no better than me, dad. At least I don’t marry someone old to maintain my wealth. That’s just pathetic.”

“I know,” Jihoo nodded slowly. “But she’s got a son now, which is nice. I talked to her parents last week at tourism fair, and they told me she plans to retire early from the hotel business. She wishes to have her son take over the Great Empire Hotel at the age of 17.”

“Are you serious? 17? But Hyejong is only 3, right? Wait a minute-” Naeun mused for a second, counting internally about the of the mother-son pair and Hyorin’s age when she did retire.” She then looked up at her dad with big wonder eyes fluttered up in awe at him. “Are you saying she will retire at the age of 40? Dad, are you serious? That’s freaking young!’

“Yes,” Jihoo said calmly. “Why? You feel like competing against her? Naeun, you’re much younger than her. If you have a son - or a child - now, you could easily keep up with her. But your wedding is only 9 days away so I wouldn’t worry much about that.”

Naeun’s mouth closed in automaton hearing the word ‘wedding’ slipped from his dad’s lips. She nodded slowly, almost looking dispassionate about it and she continued to look down at the papers on the coffee table.

Bummer much.

 

WHEN lunch break was up, Jongin decided to accompany Soojung to the lunch because she told him she had something to say. Jongin was reluctant at first because he meant to accompany Sehun who was pestering him about not spending more time together, but he had called Sehun to reassure him that he was just being an emotional wreck and should calm down. Jongin however promised to treat him on a breakfast first thing tomorrow morning.

Jongin was making his way over to the elevator when the door opened up at a perfect timing in front of him, and exposed a still Naeun staring down at his feet.

Naeun then looked up with a small jump and smiled shortly at Jongin. “Where are you going? Lunch? It’s already lunch break?”

“Yep.”

“Oh, I see.” Naeun nodded. She stepped out of the elevator and allowed Jongin the space to ride. “Oh and come into my room after lunch, okay? It’s about the date tonight. I have the documents about your date tonight.”

“Alright,” Jongin muttered without a hint of excitement and nodded his head to dismiss her. Naeun nodded back, but she stayed to watch the doors closed in before walking away.

Wait – why did I stay?

 

SOOJUNG pulled his orange juice close to her and sipped at the straw half-heartedly. She was not exactly hungry, but she was eager to meet Jongin during lunch break. She had something to ask him about the ball tonight.

“So,” Soojung began slowly. “How’s your internship so far?”

“Just fine, I guess. I don’t do much though,” Jongin ended with a small laughter. “But I remember you looing all jittery on our first day. How is yours going?”

“It turns out fine. I have a lot of calculations, and some predictions to make here and there about the rise of hotel stocks, which are tiring, but other than that, everything else is fun.”

“That’s good to hear.”

“Yeah,” Soojung nodded with a hint of a shy smile. “So, uhm, I have something to ask you about tonight’s ball.”

“Uh-huh. What is it?”

“Have you, uhm, found yourself a date?” Soojung blurted out timidly, face flushed with red tint coloring her chubby cheeks.

Jongin was quiet for some seconds before pulling himself together for her answer. “I’m sorry, Soojung, but yes. But not exactly like a date, though. My boss, uhm, she asked – forced, I mean – to join like a charity dinner date or something like that because we needed to raise more fund for the, y’know, hotel.”

“Oh yea,” Soojung grinned sheepishly. “I know. I’ve heard about that Wow, so you actually signed up for that, huh?”

Jongin nodded with a heave of a sigh. “Uh-huh. And I don’t mean this in a bad way, but I would like to go to the ball with you if none of this happened.”

“Well – yeah, whatever. It’s okay. We all gotta do what our boss says, right? It’s totally fine. I understand.”

“I’m pretty sure that you can bring outsider as your date - college friends, roommates - y’know, anyone who’s not related to the hotel.”

“Yeah,” Soojung said lightly. “I know. I just don’t know who else to ask.”

“You can try asking Kyungsoo. He’s always free.”

“Yeah. Maybe.”

 

IT was 1.20 and Jongin was already done with his lunch. He and Soojung left the café to get back to their respective workplace. They were getting to the elevator when Jongin received a text message from Naeun.

Buy me Iced Americano please. - Naeun

Jongin slid back his phone inside his pocket and kindly asked Soojung to go ahead without him.

 “Why?” Soojung asked. “What’s wrong?”

“My boss, Naeun, asks me to buy something for her.”

“Oh. Okay then,” Soojung smiled, and at that moment, the elevator door gaped open in front of them. Soojung stepped in before waving Jongin goodbye.

He obediently turned around and went inside the café again. He stood before the counter, waiting for his turn.

“One Ice Americano,” he said when a female barista greeted him kindly.

“Is that all?”

“Yup.”

“Do you want to try our latest mint-flavored macarons? They are brand new on the menu, and we are having a 40% off on all minted macarons. But my personal suggestion would be strawberry, or mango. They’re very popular.”

Jongin nodded, processing all the information he received. “How much is one box?”

“Only KRW3000 for 3 pieces.”

“Okay, I’ll take it.”

“And what flavor would you like?”

Jongin tilted his head sideway. He had zero idea about what Naeun’s personal favorite. He didn’t even know whether she liked macarons or not. But she had not had her lunch, so Jongin thought some macarons would do it. He wanted to be nice occasionally.

Jongin frowned before blurting out his question. “What flavor do most girls usually like?”

“Strawberry,” the barista answered with a crooked smile. “And tiramisu.”

But Naeun isn’t like most girls.                 

“And what flavor is unusually popular with girls?”

“Surprisingly, green tea. Or ginseng.”

“Oh,” Jongin gasped. Naeun will probably kill me if I buy ginseng.

 “Green tea then.”

“Alright.”

 

NAEUN heard soft knocks pounding on her office door. She cleared before declaring ‘enter’ firmly. The door swung open, revealing Jongin, copping her Iced Americano, and also a box of what it seemed to be a macaron box. Naeun smiled unconsciously as she watched him in.

“What’s in that box?”

Jongin’s gaze fell on the box he was carrying and he naturally placed them on her desk.

“My apologies.”

“Huh?”

Jongin let himself sit down before handing her the coffee. “It’s about the suit. I’m sorry I acted like a total ungrateful jerk, but I did not know how else I should decline your offer.”

“But you’re still not gonna take the suit?” Naeun asked simply, acting cool-minded, and took a sip at her freshly brewed iced coffee.

“Yep.”

Naeun shrugged her shoulder, dismissing him coolly, and took the box into her hold. “Macarons?”

“Yep.”

“What flavor?” Naeun undone the fold of the small box and took a sniff at the steaming macarons. “Fresh from oven. Sweet.”

“Green tea.”

“Green tea?” Line began forming cross her forehead as she looked up at him in curiosity. “Are you kidding me? You bought green tea macarons to a lady?”

Jongin wanted to answer ‘you’re not like most ladies’ to her that he was afraid his words would come out as a cheesy pick-up line, so he decided to only nod.

“You don’t like green tea?”

“I mean,” Naeun chuckled in disbelief. “They’re fine. But I like dark chocolate.”

“Oh,” Jongin gasp. “Yeah, well I didn’t know what your favorite is.”

“Hence, the phone,” she snapped heartlessly.

“That would have ruined the surprise, jeez.”

“Surprise?” Naeun raised her brows. “Yeah. Green tea is definitely the ‘it’ flavor for the ladies.”

“Will you just eat them? Jeez, you sure do have a lot of energy for someone who skips lunch.”

Naeun clenched her teeth at Jongin’s mockery but she thought that was something she should get used to by now. Naeun kept the box away and exhaled heavily as she got back to her papers.

“Thanks anyway.”

“How sincere,” Jongin said mockingly.

“Good Lord,” Naeun sighed, grabbing a bunch of papers clipped together and handed it over to Jongin. “Yours to study.”

“What is this?” He took the papers, and carefully browsed them through one by one. On the first page, a passport photo of a chocolate-toned woman, with full lips and a beautiful set of white teeth was paper-clipped at the top right corner of the paper. Jongin looked down, scrutinizing every detail written in the information box.

“You’re pairing me up with an heiress?” Jongin’s gaze flew on Naeun’s impassive expression. “And she’s nothing like what you told me.”

“No. My dad did the pairing,” Naeun snorted. “He must be crazy.”

“She’s 26,” Jongin grinned, and his fox-like eye-smile pierced though Naeun’s heart like thin ice. She did not know why she felt anxious about it, but she can’t help but to be obvious about it.

“A noona then, huh?” Jongin added in amusement.

“You must crazy happy.”

“Little bit.”

“Guys are all the same,” Naeun said soullessly with a disappointment shake to her head. “Oh and FYI, I didn’t lie about the she’s-a-married-woman part, so yeah, don’t get too excited about it.”

“Widow,” Jongin corrected. “And no, I’m not that excited.”

“Yeah right.”

Jongin shrugged, eyes looking back into Naeun’s eyes teasingly. “Well, believe it or not.”

Naeun squinted her eyes as she stared into his brown eyes, weighing the potential truth behind his words. Her eyes fell on his twisted sly smirk involuntarily, and she sensed a strong force exuded by it. Naeun leaned back hastily, awestruck by his ability of stirring something inside her.

. That bloody smirk was-

STOP IT RIGHT THERE SON NAEUN.

Just – don’t.

“Will you please get out, Jongin? I’ve got stuff to do.”

Jongin chuckled dryly like an unamused baby and pushed back his chair before nodding politely at Naeun. “Of course. I guess I’ll see you tonight, boss.”

Naeun glared up at him, and it made Jongin burst into a small laughter before he went for the door. Naeun slouched in her seat at the sight of the door swinging shut, and wondered why was wrong with her racing heartbeat.

 

JONGIN first arrived at the ball when it was only 5.55 PM; 5 minutes into the official event. He hated to be in the spotlight if he arrived late, so he thought it was best to avoid all the nonsensical interview and red carpet glam and quietly creep into the ball.

The grand ballroom was a spectacular sight, like a drawing out of a fairytale book. He looked up, personally mesmerized by the European styled candle-lit chandelier, the golden streaks from the crystal, and they the dangles sway under the breezing air-conditioner. He inserted his hands inside the pockets, feeling cold suddenly and continued to wander across the wide ball room with awe.

He turned back to the registration counter because it dawned on him when he saw the number on the table and realized he has yet to check in. He sauntered leisurely past the giant ice sculpture of a well-carved diamond shone by a sapphire-blue LEDs underneath the holder.

Blue Diamond, huh. Clever.

He approached the counter and was greeted with a sweet smile by two ladies dressed formally in a similar red dress.

“Hello,” he said. “I’m Jongin, and I’ve signed up for the charity date.”

“May I see some identification?”

“Sure,” Jongin gave a tiny nod before reaching for his inside pocket. He took out his wallet and fished out his I/C and his internship pass. “There you go.”

The lady with a dimpled-smile nodded thoughtfully at Jongin before proceeded with the formal procedure of guest registration. Two minutes later, she returned Jongin’s documents along with a booklet of tonight’s tentative event and a card that stated a number.

“What is this?” Jongin held up the small card.

“That’s your table number, and underneath it, the 4-digit number is your lucky draw number. If you’re lucky enough you’ll score some big gift tonight.”

“Yeah,” the second lady behind the counter agreed. “The main prize would be a Rolex watch – gold edition.”

“Najeong,” the lady reprimanded kindly. “That’s just a rumor. And it’s not Rolex, but TAG Heuer.”

Jongin almost dropped his jaw but he remained composed and smiled politely at the ladies and thanked them for the hospitality. “I’ll get inside first. Thank you.”

How could people just give Tag Heuer as a lucky draw prize? What is this world?

“You’re welcome,” the first lady smiled at him. Once Jongin was out of earshot, she turned to her partner and raised a thumb.

“He’s hot, right?”

“Totally.”

“I wonder who his date tonight is.”

“Yeah. Lucky rich lady.”

 

EXACTLY about 30 minutes before the opening event began; Naeun and her family finally arrived at the red carpet. Naeun extended her leg out first from the Rolls Royce before being greeted by a chauffeur waiting outside.

Naeun pulled the thin scarf around her chest and took the chauffeur’s hand before getting out of the vehicle. She strutted forward into the center stage where all paparazzi were lining around behind the barricades. She had photo sensitive epilepsy, so she could not really stand in front of flashing lights for more than 1 minute, or she might black out. Soon enough, she nodded at her at the end of the stage and the man approached her to grabbed her.

“Thanks,” Naeun whispered breathlessly. “I really, really hate it when it happens.”

“I understand, Miss Son,” the kind man who has been working long for Naeun and her family only smiled at her. They then walked off the stage and made way to the grand entrance.

“Where are my parents?”

“They’re right behind you.”

“Okay. Just drop me off here by the door., Kyujong. I wanna walk inside with them.”

"Alright then, Miss Son.”

 

JONGIN looked down at his phone in his seat casually to refresh back about how his date should look. He took a picture of her with his phone and saved it for future reference, like now. He studied the wide, feminine smile and he can’t help but be amused by it.

No wonder she got the man.

Jongin then looked up at the commotion by the entrance but a tall woman figurine blinded his sight. Jongin’s gaze fell helplessly on the tanned-skin, fox-like eyes who was approaching his way.

It was Hyorin.

Jongin was nervous suddenly, but he tried his best to hide it and showed her his best smile yet. She looked seductive in her long dress that exposed her shoulder with thin strap around her neck, and her hourglass figure somehow managed to hide her widow status. Jongin never laid his eyes on a woman like her, and deep down, he was glad to be accompanied by such a woman in this high-class event.

“Hi,” she began, and her husky voice sounded very pleasant to Jongin’s ears. She drew her long fingers and lean hand to him and Jongin accepted it calmly.

“Hi,” Jongin smiled like a gentleman. “I am Jongin. Your date for tonight.”

“I’m Hyorin,” she said naturally. “You’re not bad for a blind date.”

Jongin laughed shortly and thanked her for the compliment. He walked around the table to pull out a chair for her. “Glad you feel that way.”

Jongin then silently looked behind to check out what was going on at the entrance, and when he saw Naeun walking in with confidence and beauty, he couldn’t take off his eyes of her.

Perfect.

Naeun was walking behind her parents, maybe, because Jongin could’ve sworn he has seen that old man before with Naeun. And Jongin also realized the woman in his arms was fairly stunning – probably explained the beautiful trait Naeun is blessed with.

The champagne strapless train dress fit her well-contoured body snuggly, and she looked confident wearing it. The train behind her feet was not a heavy drag and the length was just right for people not to step all over it. Naeun pulled her back in a braided bun and secured it with a butterfly-shaped bobby pin. She paired a pale blue diamond on her neck and ears, and opted for a natural face make-up. She followed silently behind her parents and Jongin’s eyes did not stop trailing her every movement until he was called by Hyorin.

“What are you looking at?” Hyorin asked curiously, feeling a bit outcast when Jongin ignored her. She leaned back and chuckled when she saw the Sons family have just seated down at their table.

“Do you know her?” Hyorin asked again, this time, she did not looked too uncomfortable.

Jongin’s lips turned into a thin smile and shrugged. “She’s my boss.”

“Oh right,” Hyorin clapped her hand. “You’re an intern. I almost forgot. Is she a nice boss?”

“Maybe,” Jongin shrugged again. “People mostly have different opinion on ‘nice’, so I don’t really know how to answer that.”

“That is true.” Hyorin smiled, and tilted her head slightly to study the tensed expression on Jongin’s face was still couldn’t stop glancing over his shoulder.

Tonight should be fun.

 

 

*****

Comment and subcribe ^^

Also don't forget to cast your upvote if you find the story interesting <333