012

The Missing Pieces

NOW

MARCH 2017

 

IF anything, Naeun was always the obedient daughter to her parents. Her mother was a famous pianist in Asia, and when she asked her daughter to take the piano class, she did, no matter how Naeun kept messing up the keys and forgetting the notes. She still messed up the keys now, and sometimes she mixed up the songs, but she never stopped playing it. It was what her mother wanted, and she was more than eager to fulfill it. And also when her dad told her to start working right away after she finished her foundation studies in business, she shut and nodded to everything.

“Of course, daddy.”

“I got it, mom.”

But maybe, Naeun has had enough, especially realizing that not all the things that her parents told her to do was right, and fitting for her. And that matter seemed crystal clear to her when they told her one day, after having dinner with Minhyuk’s family, that she should get married to him; that he was the right guy for her, and he understood their lifestyle because he was also from a wealthy family. It was still drizzling outside the car when Jihoo told her that. And next to her, Sofia was squeezing her hand and giving her the smallest smile Naeun had even seen.

Very well, dad,” Naeun remembered agreeing, and when she threw a pitying look outside to a couple of cats running in the rain, her heart forgot how to heal herself again.

This time around – for once – can’t she have things the way she wanted? She only wanted to go the charity with someone who actually made her comfortable, so why Jihoo couldn’t let her get that chance? Didn’t she matter?

“No,” Naeun spat out. “I don’t want to do that. I don’t want to go to the charity date. And no, I’m not being selfish. I just want to make my own decision and I want you to respect that. I’ll donate some money if the money we collect isn’t enough. But I don’t want to go to the charity date or whatever you guys call it, and I don’t want Jongin to be part of that either. I don’t care if you don’t like my ideas on the events, and you’re more than welcome to take’m down and put back your Monet performance on the list, but don’t mess with my - stuff.”

The loud drumming silence that lingered after Naeun’s blunt outburst made she feel sick to the stomach. She nodded slightly to her speechless dad and pushed back her chair.

“I need some fresh air. Carry on without me,” Naeun muttered quickly, grabbing her purse. “I never had anything to contribute anyway.”

 

LUNCH time was over and Jongin only came back from the regular pizza place near his university. He dropped by the Head of Business Management Department because his lecturer called him to pick up his final year study form. He was required to fill in the usual details and acquire his legal guardian’s signature too so he thought he should visit the home shelter this evening. He could even get himself a free dinner.

He was home after hour long stuck in the traffic jam. He unlocked his door and was surprised to find a note stuck to it right in front of him.

Dear Kim Jongin, Armani was here to deliver your suit during your absence, Please kindly call the information line at 0099 from your house line to pick the suit. – Management Center, Jiyoung Apartment

Jongin pulled the note and crumpled it - funny, because he had zero idea about this Armani suit?

Wait – Armani?!

 

NAEUN was on her way to the Gree Mega Mall when her handphone went off throughout the car. She was on hands free mode, so she pressed a tiny button on the earphone around the leaf of her ear to receive the call.

“Hello?”

“Naeun,” Jongin called out suddenly and surprised her. Naeun quickly smiled, raking back her hair that was stuck to her face.

 “Yes?”

“Did you order a crazy expensive suit for me?”

“Yes,” Naeun nodded, her grin was getting wider. “It has arrived? Good. The ball is tomorrow night anyway, so perfect timing huh? Have you tried it on?”

“Yes, the suit has arrived. And what charity ball? And no, I don’t want it, so I will not try it on or put it on or accept it.”

Naeun fret and scoffed, displeased. “Excuse me?”

“Where are you? We need to talk about the suit. I seriously don’t get what’s happening.”

“No, I don’t get what’s happening. Why won’t you take the suit? Do you not like the suit? Do you not like the color? The brand? The size? WHAT IS IT?”

“Where are you?” Jongin said slowly, holding back his anger.

“I’m on the way to the mall.”

“What mall?”

“Gree Mall.”

“Okay. I’ll see you there.”

“No,” Naeun declined swiftly. “ Y’know what? I don’t feel like going shopping anymore. Are you home? Of course you’re home, otherwise you won’t be this much of a pain to have discovered the suit. Stay there. I’ll come over.”

“Make it fast then.” And like always, he hung on her just like that.

Naeun grunted, throwing the earphone on her chair and made a sharp turn to her left.

 

‘BIZARRE’- probably the only word that could describe Naeun’s feelings right now. She just couldn’t grasp the crazy reason behind Jongin’s refusal to accept the suit, what more wear it to the ball.

“I’m sorry but you need to take this back,” Jongin said coldly as he handed her a brown paper bag containing the suit he just folded when she first arrived at his door step.

“Oh my God! You even folded the newly pressed suit – wow, you must be super eager getting rid of this suit.”

“I’m not kidding. Seriously, take it back, Naeun.”

Naeun paused, feeling really insulted inside. She frowned, heaving a great sigh of disappointment as she crossed her hand, eyes staring intensely at him.

“What is wrong with you? Okay – if you’re actually clueless about the ball, fine, because I can help you clear things up. There’s this annual charity ball where we celebrate our fundraisers and sponsors-“

“I know about the ball. I just don’t understand how do I get to be part of it? And what’s with the suit?”

“It’s a formal event. Everyone needs to dress for the event. Guys need to wear suit. Women need to wear dresses or gowns. And I didn’t know if you already have a suit or not, so I thought of buying one for you as well when I picked up my dress.”

“Why?”

“Why what?” She snapped spitefully at him.

“You could’ve asked me first whether I already have a suit or not. And let’s say – no, I don’t, why bother buying for me? You think I can’t afford a goddamn suit?”

Naeun laughed mirthlessly. “So this is what it’s all about? You’re upset because I bought you something expensive?”

Jongin exhaled heavily, trying to calm himself down at Naeun’s stuck-up attitude. She thinks she knows it all.

“I’m not upset. I just don’t feel comfortable accepting this gift.”

“If you’re uncomfortable because you think I wanna and or can buy you, you’re dead wrong because that is not my definition of nice, Jongin. Why can’t you think of the value of my intention rather than the value of this suit? It’s less stressful that way.”

Jongin shut his mouth in a tight line, hating to have his pride bruised by a woman. “Just - go home. And take this with you, okay?” He handed her the paper bag but Naeun never budged to even move her hand. Her eyes never tore from Jongin’s bloodshot eyes. She then remembered of the fever Jongin’s been having.

“You know what, Jongin? I don’t want to argue with you about the suit. I already bought you the goddamn suit so just take it, and do what the hell ever you want with it. I bought it for you so it’s yours. I can’t take it back because that’s now the kind of person I am. And enough with your man pride bull. I’m sorry I’m rich and I’m sorry I have the money to buy expensive , but trust me, if I asked you earlier which brand you want, I would buy that for you. But I didn’t so I’m terribly sorry to have upset you. And you look tired, so, I will leave now. I will call you tonight to tell you more about tomorrow’s ball details; so, you better pick up your phone. Goodbye.”

Naeun then walked away, carefully making her way to the elevator without passing out because she did not just believe how cool she acted just now.

Way to go, Son Naeun.

 

SOFIA approached her daughter that night when she returned from her night piano lesson, Naeun was at parents’ house because Jihoo asked to come to talk about the ball but she hasn’t been able to meet her dad yet since she arrived. Jihoo was probably still at the office. It was 8.12 PM when Naeun realized her mother was perching on the arm of the couch beside her.

“Hey,” Sofia greeted first, planting a warm kiss on her daughter’s forehead. “This is a rare sight. You dad called you in?”

“Uh-huh,” Naeun nodded. “He said he wanted to show me something.”

“Oh,” Sofia raised her brows naturally. “But today, something else happened in the meeting room, huh? Something about you going against your dad and sticking to your desire?”

Naeun rolled her eyes. Rumours sure did spread faster wildfire. “It’s not my desire. It is just something that I want to do.”

“Same difference. So, tell me more about it.”

“There is nothing to tell really.”

“Oh, c’mon Naeun! You literally shook the entire room when you stood up to reject your dad’s suggestion about doing the dinner date. It was as though you were especially eager about going to this ball with this certain guy. What is that all about?”

“Err, ‘nothing’?” Naeun said in a flat tone. “You’re blowing things out of proportion, mom. I don’t wanna do the dinner date because I don’t want to spend my night with some rich, boring- old dude. I already have a partner, so why can’t I be with him?”

Naeun paused, realizing what she just said was what got her mom all curious about what went on in the meeting room. Naeun turned to look at her mom and was surprised to find she was already burning a hole in her face with the crazy intense look in her eyes.

“I certainly did mean it like that."

“This is ridiculous. Who is this partner and does he know you already have a fiancé?”

“This is ridiculous. What is wrong with you people? It’s nothing like that. We’re just friends, for God’s sake. Stop that, okay? Stop being dramatic. You’re making things a bigger deal than it actually is. Gosh, just where is dad?” Naeun stormed off into her dad’s office and locked herself inside. Her mom was outside, knocking on her door and Naeun hated how her mom could still knock in this kind of situation. Normal people would pound, grabbing her daughter’s hair but not Sofia. Sofia was very tender and gentle, even in situation that upset her feelings. Naeun did not know why, but she didn’t like that about her mom. It was as if Sofia tried so hard not to offend people by being angry.

Naeun should’ve just discussed things with her dad over a phone call rather than coming down to her parents’.

 

NAEUN must’ve fallen asleep in her dad’s office because the next thing she knew, she was in bed, in her old bedroom. She glanced over at the clock on the wall and surprised by the time now – 12:45 AM. Her head felt heavy, as though she was drugged to sleep.

Naeun rubbed her eyes and removed the comforter off of her legs. She got down to her feet and raced downstairs immediately. The whole house was already dark, except for her dad’s office. Naeun walked to it and knocked softly on the door.

“Come in,” came the reply from inside.

“Hey dad,” Naeun greeted shortly, swiftly fixing her tousled hair. “What happened?”

“I’m not sure if I remember it clearly, but you fell asleep in my room, locked in, and we had to break into my own office because your mom misplaced the master key and we couldn’t find the duplicated keys. And then, after the break-in was successful, we found you were falling asleep so we carried you upstairs and put you to sleep in your old room.”

“Who carried me upstairs again?”

“I did.”

“You did?”

“Yes,” Jihoo glanced momentarily at her daughter. “And then, you wake up.”

“Oh yeah,” she stifled a smile. “I was surprised. Anyway, you told me you wanted to talk about something. What is it?”

“Have a seat first.”

“If this was about changing my mind, then I’m sorry to disappoint you, but no, I will not do the dinner date, dad.  It’s uncomfortable and I don’t like strangers.”

“Your assistant was first a stranger before he became someone you’re comfortable with. Why can’t you give this date a chance? And it’s not like I’m hooking you up with someone. It’s for charity, Naeun.”

“Why are you so eager about having me to do the date? What’s in it to you?”

“Not to me, Naeun, but to the orphans we sponsor out there.”

Naeun fell silent intuitively at the mention of the word orphan. Naeun pulled back a chair and sat down across her dad.

“Okay. Tell me more about it.”

 

JONGIN was getting to his bed when he heard his phone went off on his study desk. He hurried to the phone before the he missed it. Naeun was calling him.

“Hello?” Naeun said naturally.

“Yes?” Jongin replied.

“You’re not asleep yet.”

“I was about to. What is it?”

“Okay,” Naeun drawled. “So, I was getting off meeting with my dad just now-”

“You just finished your meeting? At 12.00 in the morning?”

“It’s almost 1.00. But whatever. I wanted to ask you about the ball. Do you, uhm, want to go to the ball with me?”

Jongin was truly surprised by her outright invite but he remembered something about Naeun not going to the ball with her fiancé. “I don’t know. Do I have any other option?”

“What option?” Naeun asked, bewildered.

“Like not going at all.”

“You’re funny,” Naeun jeered mockingly. “I’m your boss and you need to follow my instructions. So, do you or do you not want to go to the ball with me? And hurry because this is super awkward for me to wait.”

“If I don’t go with you, whom will you go to the ball with?”

“If you don’t go to the ball,” Naeun paused for the fun of it. “You will have to join the dinner date.”

“What’s a dinner date?”

“A dinner date is a – date,” Naeun said with an awkward drag to her voice. “It’s like an event, where you will get paired up with one of the sponsor and accompany her night, basically, whilst explaining all the stuff about our donation. You need to be very confident and lead her so she will give more money to our fund.”

“I don’t understand.”

“In other word, some rich old woman will pay more money to have you join her for dinner.”

“Are you selling me out?”

“You,” Naeun said innocently. “And other 18 of our staff. We’re understaffed, so, guess what? I’ll be joining the date too, that is if you don’t want to go the ball with me? So, do you?”

“I don’t know. Why are we understaffed?”

“I don’t know! Gosh, Jongin, will you hurry up and make up your mind?”

“Do I get to pair up with a young beautiful rich woman?”

“If you’re lucky enough, then, of course,” Naeun said, clenching her teeth.

 “Mehh~,” Jongin shrugged. “What harm will it do anyway, right? Why not.”

“Why not what?”

“Why not join the dinner date.”

“Oh,” Naeun gasped.

, did he just indirectly reject my offer?

 Two rejections in a day, why the hell not.

“Okay. I’ll give you the papers tomorrow at the office. How’s your fever by the way?”

“Gone, perhaps. Just a little bit of cold, nothing serious.”

“That’s great. Okay. Good night.”

“Good night.”

 

 

 

****

Gosh I feel like I stall in this one. Worry not for the ball is defintely coming up in next chapter >:D