4.

Aphasia
AyaXiumin

4.

 

"That was a good session, Aya. I guess we'll meet here again in two weeks, right?" Dr. Choi asks, as she escorts me out of her office, with a hand placed on my back. I hum in agreement and turn and wave at Dr. Choi and Yoon Mi as I walk towards the door.

"Any progress?" I hear Yoon Mi say in a low voice. I walk out of the door and pause in front of the front window. I look over to them and could read Dr. Choi's lips.

"None. I just wished she could say something. A word, something.." Dr. Choi looks down and sighs before looking over at Yoon Mi to share a sad smile.

-----

A fifteen minute walk later, I arrive at my apartment complex. I walk through the lobby, sending a smile to the watchman, who is reading a magazine behind the desk. I head straight for the stairs, to walk up one flight and straight down a long corridor to stop at the last door on the right.

1099.

I press my security code in on the door handle. The door beeps and I open the door and walk in. I slip my shoes off and walk in, heading straight for the kitchen. Placing the containers on the small, white kitchen table, I look around for Alii.

"Alii," I softly call out.

A tiny bell jingles from the bedroom and moments later a grey classic tabby kitten, with striking blue eyes walks out, towards me.

Alii scurries to me and rests a paw on my left foot. I bend down to pick her up and hold her in front of my face.

"You missed me?" I say and she meows in response. She stretches her neck and tries to nudge me on my nose, but misses and hits my cheek.

"Oh Alii.." I think to myself and giggle.

Alii was merely several weeks old when I found her. Two dogs surrounded her, while barking aggressively. She tried to hold her ground against the dogs by meowing at them, but they were too strong and rough for her. I immediately shooed off the two dogs and took her to the nearest vet. Thankfully, she did not have serious injuries, besides minor scratches on her side and back legs.

After that, I decided to adopt and name her Alii, after the fighter Mohammed Ali. And since she's a girl, I decided to add another "I" to the name to make it seem a little feminine.

After changing my clothes, I notice Alii curled up in her favorite spot on the couch. I walk over to the plastics on the table and unpack them. I slide a pastry from one of the containers and make my way to the couch, plopping down next to Alii.

Before putting a piece in my mouth, I look over to Alii, who is intently staring at me.

"What?"

She meows.

"It's just bread."

Meow.

"But, I'm too lazy to make something."

She stands up, meows, and walks to the other chair, accidently stepping on the remote, turning on the tv.

"So, its like that?"

Meow.

"Fine.."

I get up from the couch to the fridge and open it up.

"I seriously need to go grocery shopping," I think.

"Alii, you hungry too?" I turn around.

"Alii?"

Meow.

"Hmm, I guess I can make some mixed rice and make Alii some of that tuna she likes.."

I pull out some vegetables and rolled eggs I made the day before and place them in the counter. I open the cabinet and pull out a tin can of cat food and place it on the side.

I pull a bowl out and mix in rice from the rice cooker and the other foods I pulled out with small pepper paste and set it aside.

"Alii, food time."

After putting the tuna in her food bowl, I carry both hers and mine, to the living room and place her bowl on the ground. She runs down and sits in front of it and glances at me. When eating together, she always waits for me to eat first. I smile and take a bite from my food and she begins to eat.

I sit down on the couch and begin to watch the tv. A large group of men appear in screen and one of them begins to talk.

"And here you got the inside scoop on EXO.... We are One! Exo - imnida" and the screen goes black and it goes into commercial.

"Hmm.. I wonder if there's a movie on.."

I reach to the other side of the couch for the remote and begin to flip the channels.

"You bastard! I lo-"

Flip.

"Are you my mother?" 
"Yes, I am, my child."

Flip.

"No ones supposed to know I'm a girl.."

"Typical.." Flip.

"Mister.. Ajusshi.." Won Bin appears on the screen.

"Oh its Binnie! Gonna watch this."

I place the remote down next to me and look down at Alii, who's peacefully sleeping with her head in the food bowl. I giggle to myself and turn my attention to the movie. Next thing I knew, my phone alarm went off, signaling that it is 10:30 am.

I stretch and roll off the couch, onto the ground. A small roll of red yarn rolls into my line of sight, quickly followed by Alii.

"I see you're up," I whisper.

She pounces on the ball of yarn and falls over. I smile and stand up. I glance over at my phone to see the date.

"Hmm its my day off....and nothing to do. I guess I'll spend it at the cafe."

I pick up Alii's food and water bowl and walk over to the kitchen to refill them. After I am done, I put them down on the floor and head to the bathroom. After I shower, I change into a brown sweater and jeans. Walking out into the living room, I grab my bag, phone, and my book, The Scorch Trials, by James Dashner and throw them into my bag.

"Alii, I'm going to be at the cafe for a couple of hours. Behave," I say and she meows in response.

-----

Thirty minutes later, I arrive at Davinci's and the door chimes as I walk in.

"Oh Aya, why are you here? You know its your day off," Grandpa questions as he walks towards me with a soft smile on his face.

I shrug.

"Nothing to do huh?" I smile and nod.

He sighs and guides me to the nearest empty table.

"You need to get out and experience the world. You should meet people, date, write to people, something..You're a beautiful girl, who's sadly been through some tough times, so you owe it to yourself to experience something worthwhile.." He smiles. "I remember, a bit before I met Grandma, don't tell her this, by the way," we chuckle, "I used to travel all over the country, meet many girls...One I would've married, if I hadn't met Grandma...." he trails off. He looks off into space and gets lost in his thoughts. I lean forward and tap Grandpa's hand and he laughs.

"Sorry, just going down memory lane."

Before he begins to speak again, the door chimes and in comes a man.

"Hmm...It's the guy from yesterday."


Author's Note:

Hi.

Okay, get it Minseok lol