12.

Aphasia
AyaXiumin

12.

So he wants to get food with me? Just a meal..like dinner...

Not a date, Aya.

A small smile slowly grows on my face.

Wait what?....I mean I've never been on date before....

BUT THIS ISN'T A DATE...

It's just a meal with someone else...

....who happens to be of the opposite gender...

It's all good...

------------------------------
To: Minseok

From: Aya

Yeah, I would love to...

-------------------------------

Wait..no...

My right thumb quickly flies to the backspace button, leaving the message application empty. A moment later, my two thumbs begin typing on the screen before pressing the green 'Send' button.

--------------------------------
To: Minseok

From: Aya

Yes. Sounds like a plan!

Sent:  2:55pm

--------------------------------

Almost immediately, my cell phone buzzes, showing a notification that Minseok had responded. I hesitate for a moment, before I open the message.

---------------------------
To: Aya

From: Minseok

Great. Let's meet up around 7

in front of the cafe?

Sent: 2:55pm

------------------------------

-------------------------------

To: Minseok

From: Aya

That sounds good. See

you then.

Sent: 2:56pm

-------------------------------

"This is happening," I whisper to myself.

---

After an hour and half trip, traveling to the bank and back to my apartment complex, I collapse onto my couch, face first.

"Tonight is happening," I mumble into the cushion.

I sigh and jerk my head up, to be greeted by the view of Alii, sitting upright with her head turned in a slight angle, curiously staring at me.

"Tonight is happening," I repeat, before dropping my head back into the couch cushion. Moments later, I feel Alii's paws massaging my scalp, before one of her claws gets caught in my hair, causing her to panic and pull at my hair.

"Alii," I cry out in pain, while reaching for her stuck paw. After several minutes of struggling, I finally pull out Alii's paw and a small clump of my hair. She blinks at me and her paw and scurries away.

"Thanks?"

I get up and walk to the bathroom and turn on the light.

Let's see the damage...

I adjust the two mirrors around the sink, so that they are positioned to view the back of my head.

Okay, not as bad as I thought. I'll just figure out a way to cover this up.

I pick up the brush, lying next to the sink, and begin to brush my hair.

I guess I have time now to figure out what I'm going to wear tonight.

Satisfied with my hair, I place the brush down and head to my closet.

Oh goodness, I have nothing to wear.

I guess I wouldn't have anything prepared for this moment. All I have is jeans, some sweatpants, and clothes I wear to the cafe...

Peeking out from the back of my closet is the periwinkle and white dress that Won bought for me. Reaching out for it, I pick it up off of the rack and hold it up against the light.

"Is this too formal? We're just getting something to eat. But it is nice though..." I trail off.

I quickly put it back into the closet and sigh.

Tonight's going to be interesting...

---

Standing near the front door of the cafe, I glance down at my watch.

6:57pm.

He should be here soon.

I adjust my thin, army green jacket, while looking down at my knitted, peach sweater and black jeans. I look up and take a quick skim through the street crowd for Minseok.

Not here.

I turn around to take a glance inside the cafe and I see Grandpa squinting down at a receipt that a customer had given him. "He must have lost his glasses again," I ponder. Grandpa hands the receipt back to the customer and bows his head before turning around, while scratching his head, as if he's in deep thought.

Grandma walks in view, almost bumping into Grandpa before lightly scolding him and handing him his glasses. He reaches out to hug her, but she quickly smacks his hands away and scurries back into the kitchen. Grandpa watches her retreat with a smile on his face.

"What are we smiling at?" A voice emits from behind me. I swiftly turn around to see a brightly smiling man with sunglasses on.

Sunglasses at night?

Noticing my confused look, he slides the sunglasses off and slips them into his pocket. "Aya? It's me, Minseok. Sorry, I'm a little late. My practice ended a little later than planned," he responds.

I reach into my bag for my sharpie and notepad and scribble some words down. Smiling, I hand him the notepad.

"It's fine. And to answer your question, I was smiling at Grandma and Grandpa. They were being adorable."

"Aw, I missed it?" He chuckles. "Are you ready for some amazing food? I know a place that's right around the corner from here. Follow me."

He was definitely right about the place being around the corner because five minutes later, we arrive at a small restaurant, tucked in between a row of houses. It could have been easily mistaken as a stranger's house. Minseok opens the door and stands aside, while gesturing for me to ahead.

"After you," he smiles.

As soon as we enter, we are greeted by a bowing waitress.

"Oh, you're back? I see you couldn't stay away for too long" She laughs and Minseok joins in.

"A table for two?" I nod in response.

We follow the waitress to a small table, positioned next to the entrance of the kitchen. As we sit down, she reaches into her apron, for a small notepad and pen.

"Do you know what you want to order or do you need a menu?"

"Is it okay if I order for the both of us?" Minseok glances over at me. I smile and nod for him to proceed.

"Can we have two bowls of kimchi jigae, with a side bowl of rice and fried mackerel?"

"Is that it?"

"Yes, thank you."

Looking over at me, Minseok smiles and scratches the back of his neck. "Their kimchi jigae is really good. I feel like everyone should try it." Reaching over toward the edge of the table, Minseok picks up and places two cups in front us and pours water in both.

"Ummm, so I wanted to invite you out today because I won't be able to visit the cafe as often because my groups preparing for a concert. But don't worry, I will definitely be showing up for Grandpa's lessons," he chuckles.

"But I guess, the real reason why I thought about dinner was to, I guess, learn more about each other. Jump start our friendship, if you can say," he confesses while rubbing his neck.

"Jump starting our friendship... I see. Well then, let's play a game."

"A game? What kind of game?"

"21 questions. Both of us take turns asking the other a question and our responses have to be honest. Okay?"

"Okay. You can go first."

"Hmm...What made you become an entertainer, or I guess, the proper term, idol?"

"My parents encouraged me to try it out. I remember growing up, my parents would tell me that I would run around the house, singing and yelling at the top of my lungs, with my underwear on my head. Once my little sister came, they had to make sure I kept my underwear on," he laughs. "But music has been a constant in my life. I loved to listen to ballad singers after school and try to emulate them. After hearing me practice, my parents handed me flyers for talent shows and auditions. And then one day, I mustered up the courage to actually audition. Now, I'm here," he looks down at his hand on his lap for a moment before looking back at me.

He coughs. "I guess, its my turn. I feel like you get this question a lot, were you born here in Korea?"

"I don't haha. And yes I was. Shortly after I was born, my family moved to the US for a couple of years before coming back to Korea. My father was something like an ambassador, so my parents traveled a lot. When they traveled, I stayed with Grandma and Grandpa."

"And that's why you're so close to them. I see. Do you miss your parents?"

"Food's here," our waitress sings as she walks out with a large circular tray, carrying our food. She quickly places down the side dishes before sliding our rice and kimchi jigae, before finally placing the fried mackerel in the center.

"Enjoy."

"That was a question. I thought it was my turn?" A smirk grows on my face.

"You're right. But before you ask a question, you must try the jigae," he laughs.

I pick up my spoon and dip into the stew and take a sip.

This is really good.

"So.......?" I respond with a thumbs up.

"Really? You think so?" I nod before taking another sip.

"I'm really glad," he swiftly flashes a smile and I return the smile.

Tonight is happening....and I'm glad it is.


Author's Note:

Sorry for the wait. I just finished my moving. Now I'm about 2,300 miles away from my family. :( But this will be fun. I just got time to write this update, so I hope you like it.

Oh, my four year anniversary on AFF just passed. Yay! You can read my mini blog post about it here

Don't forget to comment, upvote, and subscribe!

And thank you for reading!