18.

Aphasia
AyaXiumin

18.

"So you're saying that he tried to kiss you," Dr. Choi queries, leaning forward in her chair with her elbows propped up on her thighs and a growing smile on her face.

"Yeah...I think so."

"Did you want him to kiss you?"

"I dunno. I think...I wanted him to. I'm just not used to this kind of attention."

"What kind of attention?"

"The romantic kind...from a guy."

"He seems serious about yo-," Dr. Choi begins to say, before she noisily sneezes.

"Oh goodness! Sorry, now that it's April, with all of the flowers blooming, especially the cherry blossoms, my allergies have been so bad. Please excuse me, I need a tissue."

Covering her nose, Dr. Choi rises from her chair and heads towards the door. She walks through the doorway, closing the door behind her until it left an inch crack between the door and door frame. A small electronic buzzing sound emits through my brown bag, gaining my attention, causing me to reach in my bag and pull out my cell phone.

Message(s)

Minseok

I press on the icon of the messaging app and open Minseok's message.

-------------------------------------

From: Minseok
To: Aya

 

My group decided to dress up

in animal onesies for our concert

last night. Ugh, I was forced into 

one.

 

Guess what I was?

I'll give you a hint: 

Your favorite animal.

Sent: 11:08 am

---------------------------------------

No way....

A smile appears on my face and chew on the corner of my lip as I type a response.

----------------------------------------

From: Aya
To: Minseok

A kitten/cat?

Sent: 11:09 am

--------------------------------------

 

 

--------------------------------------

From: Minseok

To: Aya

 

 

Bingo!

 

Attachment: 1232.jpg

Sent: 11:10 am

-----------------------------------

My thumb presses on the attachment link to open the image.

"So adorable..." I softly mumble to myself.

The door immediately opens and in comes Dr. Choi, with a knowing smile on her face. I quickly lock my phone and put it back into my bag. I pick up the notepad and pencil and set it on my lap.

"Uh sorry about that...Did I just interrupt you?" Dr. Choi questions, taking note of my actions.

"Oh no, just responding to a text," I write.

"Was it from Minseok?"

"...yes..."

"I see you two are definitely getting closer. Uh...have you spoke to him?"

"What?"

"Spoke to him..."

"Of course not. You know I haven't spoken to anyone."

"I heard you...," she pauses, "right before I came in."

My eyes quickly drop to my hands, which are settled on top of the notepad. My left thumb begins to draw circles in the palm of my right hand as I contemplate whether to answer her or not.

"So, I was right... right?"

I stare blankly at her. Her deep brown eyes peer into mine, pleading for me to tell her.

"Aya, please answer me. Can.... you talk?"

"...yes..."

"...For how long?"

"Since I was fifteen..."

"Why haven't you? Talked to anyone?"

I look away from her eyes back to my hands. "...I don't want anyone to get hurt again..."

"Aya...." Dr. Choi begins before she gets up from her chair and walks over to the sofa to sit next to me. She turns my body to face her and holds my hands in hers.

"Aya...," she continues in the softest voice, "the accident wasn't your fault. In this past couple of months, I've been seeing so much progress with you than I had these past years. I'm proud of you. I just don't want you go back that down that dark hole. Aya, please...look at me."

My eyes look up from the sight of her hands cradling mines to her soft, brown eyes.

"I always thought it was strange after all these years you couldn't talk, even when your speech and language therapy records said that you could. Nothing will happen if you decide to talk to people. Have you talked to anyone?"

I pull my right hand away to write on the notepad.

"Only Alii."

"And she fine, right?"

"Yes."

"See? Alii's okay. Have you thought about talking to anyone else? Your family – Grandma and Grandpa?"

"Sometimes to Grandma and Grandpa. Other times to Minseok..."

"How about talking to me? Have you thought about talking during one of these sessions?"

"Occasionally, but I'm scared."

Dr. Choi grips down on my hand.

"It's okay to be scared. But I believe you can do this. Try talking to someone, it doesn't matter you don't talk to me. It could be to your grandparents or Hyun and Won, or even Minseok."

"They will appreciate it."


Author's Note:


CAN WE

TALK ABOUT

THIS?

Don't forget to comment and upvote! Comments really help!!!!