23.

Aphasia
AyaXiumin

23.

Three days later

The soft patters from my Converses gently echo in the vacant café as I approach the front window of the coffee shop. My hand reaches for the open sign, flipping it over, indicating that the coffee shop is now closed. I stare over my shoulder, back at the main café area, reflecting on the events that happened an hour before.

I lifted the last fruit tart off of the tray into the main display case, before closing the case and walking back into the kitchen with the empty tray. Grandpa was standing a few feet away from Grandma, who was slowly but surely making her way towards the ice machine, with her back slightly hunched over and a hand on her lower back.

“Let me help you, honey,” Grandpa urged, ready to help her.

“I’ll be fine; I got it. I just need some ice,” Grandma waved off, shuffling closer to the ice machine.

I walked up behind Grandpa and tapped him on the shoulder. He quickly looked over at me before turning his attention to Grandma.

“She hurt her back again, yet she won’t let me help her. This stubborn woman,” Grandpa exasperatedly replied.

Quickly thinking of something, I patted Grandpa on his back, resulting in him giving me confused look. I walk over to Grandma, who was struggling to put ice into a small bag, and took the bag from her hands.

“Aya!”

I scooped a small heap of ice into the bag and closed the ice machine. Carefully, I removed Grandma’s hand on the spot on her lower back and placed the bag on the area. She let out a long sigh of relief and proceeded to glance over to me.

“Thank you, Aya.”

“Go home Grandma,” I quietly mutter into her ear.

Her ears piqued up at the sound of my voice, still not used to hearing me, causing her to turn her head to look at me. Her eyes softened at the look of concern on my face. A sigh escaped her lips before she glanced over my shoulder at Grandpa.

“I…I think I should go home.”

“Let me take you,” Grandpa quickly said, hurrying over to help Grandma walk over to the office to get her stuff.

“Wait,” Grandma paused, “Aya, you’ll be here alone at the café. Hyun and Won left early and your Grandpa will be at home with me.”

“It’s fine. Today is slow. Go,” I mutter.

Grandma and Grandpa shared a look before looking back at me. Grandma slowly nodded and tapped on Grandpa’s back to signal for him to continue to the office. While they were in the office, I walked back into the main counter to see the two customers I had served ten minutes before. Pulling out a clean white cloth from my apron, I walked over to a slightly dirty table and began to wipe it clean. Sounds of shuffling became clearer as Grandma and Grandpa emerged from behind the black curtain into the main café area. Grandpa quickly waved to me before focusing his full attention on guiding Grandma through the front door, out of the café.  

Turning fully around, I gaze over to the nearest table and begin to stack series of chairs on top of their respective tables. Moments later, I head over to the storage closet and pull out a broom. I saunter over to a corner and begin to sweep away. Ten minutes later, in the middle of the cafe, there lies a medium sized dirt pile on the floor. Using a dust pan, I gather the dirt onto the pan, and head to the nearest trash can to dispose the dirt. After putting the broom and dustpan away, I head over to the display case and begin wiping away at the glass until a knock from the front door captures my attention.

Minseok.

Placing the cloth down on top to the case, I make my way over to the front door. Minseok flashes a smile and points to the door handle. I smirk and pull out my notepad and marker.

I’ll open the door... under one condition,” I write.

He raises an eyebrow and nods.

…you have to help me clean…”

He lets out a loud laugh that I could clearly hear through the door and mutters a quick ‘Yes, I will’. I unlock the door and Minseok opens the door and walks in.

“I guess my decision to come by, worked out for you. Where’s everyone?”

Grandma’s back is hurting, so Grandpa’s home with her and Won and Hyun left early for something family related. So it’s just me. But NOW that you’re here, I have less work to do,” I beam at him.

“Hah, lucky you,” he smirks. “So what do you have me doing?”

Well first, you can help me finish wiping off the display case?”

“Alright, let’s do this,” Minseok says as he claps his hands together. I shove my notepad and marker back into my apron as he follows me behind the counter. I hand him a clean cloth and the bottle of window cleaner before returning to my cloth. Minseok sprays the cleaner on to the display case, a little too close to me, causing the fumes to caress my nose, inflicting a loud sneeze. My head snaps down as I sneeze, letting loose strands of my hair to escape from my low bun.

“Oh Aya, I’m sorry. Are you okay?” Minseok tenderly asks, lifting my head up.

He’s close…

I slowly nod.

“…You sure?” He whispers as he steps closer to me. His eyes scan my face before locking onto mine as he takes his finger to slowly tuck a strand of my hair behind my ear. A moment passes and his finger stays behind my ear as his thumb softly brushes against my jawline and cheek.

“Aya, can I….” Minseok begins and my eyes drop to his lips.

Rosy and flushed

His tongue makes a quiet and swift appearance as they moisten his lips before disappearing.

“…can I…,” he repeats, with his voice no louder than a whisper, stepping slightly closer to me, causing the rest of his fingers cup the back of my neck.

“…can I…” My eyes swiftly fly back to his, which are concentrated on my lips.

“...kiss you,” Minseok mutters, with his eyes returning to mine.

Once again, I gently nod. A small smile appears on his face, before his lips crash down on to mine, capturing my bottom lip. His other hand carefully makes it way to my lower back, pulling me flush against his body. My hands grip his shirt, refusing to let go. We fall against the glass case, slowly kissing for what seemed to be forever.


Author's Note:

HEH.