22.

Aphasia
AyaXiumin

22.

After the ceremony, Grandpa suggested for us to sit and relax with a cup of tea, like we used to, when I was in middle and high school. My hands are wrapped around the porcelain mug that Grandpa had set in front of me, several minutes before. The sweet aroma of the lemongrass, green tea fills my senses as I raise the cup to my nose, before proceeding to take a sip of the hot liquid.

What's taking them so long?

Glancing at the two vacant mugs on the other side of the table, I set my mug back down and stand up from the ground. I walk out from the living room, into the outside hallway. I glance in several directions, around the courtyard, hoping to see shadows of Grandma and Grandpa, moving through the house. I hear faint voices coming from the direction of the kitchen. My heels turn and I begin to walk to the kitchen. Stopping a few feet short from the entrance of the kitchen, I could hear their voices clearly.

"Every year, I get more worried about Aya. We're not getting any younger, you know?" A voice that resembles Grandma's fills the area. Sounds of the refrigerator opening and closing follow Grandma's words.

"She seems to be taking care of herself fine, dear," Grandpa responds. Sounds of chopping food stops and I could hear a knife being set down on top of a cutting board.

"I know...it just that I want to be able to see her happy...with someone. Knowing that she's safe with someone, someone who can be there for her when we can't be, will make me feel better. I want to see her get married. Our beautiful granddaughter, in a beautiful white gown..." Grandma trails off.

"I would like to see that too. It all depends if she wants to get married. If it was up to me, I'd rather hear her talk than to see her married," Grandpa sighs.

"Me too," Grandma sighs.

I quietly turn around and head back into the living room and sit down. Moments later, Grandma and Grandpa walk into room; Grandma holding a plate of cut apples and honeydew and Grandpa holding small plates and forks. They set their items down on the table and sit on the floor mats across from me. Grandpa hands me a plate and Grandma takes a fork from Grandpa, takes a piece of apple and hands it to me. I take a bite of the apple piece and while chewing, I watch Grandma and Grandpa settle down in their seats and take sips of their tea.

"Aya, I know I may be busy in the kitchen at the cafe, but I've been hearing stuff about you and, that boy, Minseok?"

I sigh and send a look at Grandpa.

"Hey, it wasn't me," he mutters in between chews. "It was Won, mainly telling your grandmother. I guess, a side of Hyun, too."

Those two...

I chuckle and shrug at Grandma's question.

".....So do you like him?" She slyly asks.

My eyes widen at her question. I grab a spare notepad and pencil from the compartment under the table and begin to write.

"...Grandma..."

"What? I'm just asking a simple question, that's all. I mean, we've never had a conversation about men in your life."

"Well, yeah I like him. We're good friends and he's a nice person. Don't you like him too, Grandpa?"

"Yeah, I like him. He's very nice and smart. I can see parts of myself in him, when I first started as a barista," Grandpa replies with a smile on his face.

"Hmm, tell me more about this kid. What does he do for a living?"

"He's an entertainer; he sings."

"Oh a singer, really? Can he sing well?"

"I would assume so. His group is pretty famous. I've yet to hear him sing in person though."

"He doesn't look like a singer though, but he is good looking. From watching him around the café, he does seem nice and patient," Grandma pauses for a moment before changing the tone of her voice. "Has he ever got fed up with you, since he's never heard you talk, or anything like that?"

I shake my head.

Is he curious? Does he care?  

"Not once?"

"No."  

"Has he done anything inappropriate towards you or anyone around you?"

I shake my head again. Grandma and Grandpa share a look and smile.

"What?"

"Oh nothing..." Grandma mischievously comments and smiles.

"What Grandma meant to say, is that we just want the best for you and to see you happy. And if you like Minseok, we're fine with it. If you don't like him in that way, we're fine with it too. But I think Grandma wants you to like him," Grandpa chuckles.

"Aya, you've grown up so beautifully. We're proud to call you our granddaughter. We love you." Grandpa continues.

A smile grows on my face as I look at Grandma and Grandpa. I picked up the pencil and notepad and began to write, 'I love you too', but something didn't feel right.

I shouldn't write it.

I look up from the notepad at my grandparents.

 

Dr. Choi gripped down on my hand.

"It's okay to be scared. But I believe you can do this. Try talking to someone, it doesn't matter you don't talk to me. It could be to your grandparents or Hyun and Won, or even Minseok."

"They will appreciate it."

 

"I love you too."

 


Author's Note:

Yep, that happened! :3