19.

Aphasia
AyaXiumin

19.

“Alii, please get off the table. It has to be nice,” I badger Alii, as she prances across the small, dining table, weaving through the plate setup. I lift her off of the table and gracefully place her onto the ground. The hissing from the stove reclaims my attention, as the foam from pot spills over the side, onto the stovetop.

Crap!

I hastily reach for the pot cover and lift it off the pot, watching the foam recede into the pot, showing the pasta noodles floating at the bottom. Keeping my eyes onto the pot, my right hand feels around the counter for the wooden spoon. I grab it and quickly begin stirring the noodles in the pot.

Knock Knock.

My head whips to the sound coming from the front door. I quickly glance over at Alii on the ground, snuggling against one of her balls of yarn. After lowering the temperature of the stove to a mere simmer, I walk over to Alii, scoop her up in my arms. Her tiny body wriggles against my arms, for a moment, before calming down.

“Please be nice to him, Alii,” I whisper into her ear. She lets out a loud meow in response. My hand reaches for the door knob and turns it to open the door.

Walking away from the office, I glanced over my shoulder to see Dr. Choi, standing at the window, watching me walk away. I smiled and waved to her and mimicking my actions, she replied with a smile and wave. Feeling a vibration from my bag, I pulled out the phone to see a new message notification.

 

Message(s)

Hyun

 

---------------------------------
To: Aya
From: Hyun

 

Ever since Minseok-ssi promoted
the café, we’ve been doing so well.

We haven’t seen him in the café
since that day, so do you think
you could thank him for us?    

 

Sent: 2:05pm

---------------------------------

 

----------------------------------

To: Hyun
From: Aya

Sure, how should I do it?
A simple text message or
a card?


Sent: 2:06pm
-------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------
To: Aya
From: Hyun

No, just buy or cook him a meal…
something like that. Only if you’re
okay with doing that.

If he hadn’t done what he did
we might have lost the café
in a couple of months.

Sent: 2:08pm

-------------------------------------------

A meal? That seems doable.

----------------------------------

To: Hyun
From: Aya

I’m okay with doing it.
That’s very true.


Sent: 2:10pm
-------------------------------------

I should send Minseok a message.

I opened a new message draft, with Minseok as the recipient. The cursor slowly blinked, as I contemplated what to type. With an idea in mind, my thumbs flew across the screen, pressing the letters before hitting the send button.  

 

----------------------------------

To: Minseok
From: Aya

Hey, I’m wondering if you’re
free anytime soon. I want to
thank you for the promotion
you did, on behalf of everyone
at the café.


Sent: 2:12pm
-------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------
To: Aya
From: Minseok

The only time I’m free is tonight.
I’ve got to appear on music and
variety shows for the next two
weeks.

But no problem. I really didn’t do
much. I overheard you guys talking
about it and I just wanted to help.

Sent: 2:13pm

-------------------------------------------

----------------------------------

To: Minseok
From: Aya

But still, I want to do this.
Hyun suggested it and I agree.
How about I cook dinner
for you tonight?


Sent: 2:14pm
-------------------------------------

 

-------------------------------------------
To: Aya
From: Minseok

Sure! Sounds like a plan. Should
I bring something?

Sent: 2:16pm

-------------------------------------------

----------------------------------

To: Minseok
From: Aya

Nope. I got everything covered.
So tonight, around 8?
Oh, you’ll get to meet Alii too!


Sent: 2:17pm
-------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------
To: Aya
From: Minseok

Yep!
Errr……

Sent: 2:17pm

-------------------------------------------

----------------------------------

To: Minseok
From: Aya

Haha, you’ll be fine.


Sent: 2:18pm
-------------------------------------

On the other side of the door is a well-dressed Minseok. My mouth slowly becomes ajar. A well-tailored white button-down shirt and black slacks hugs against his body. His sleeves are rolled up to his elbows and his right hand is tucked into his pocket. Dangling on his right arm is a long brown bag, with a maroon bottle cap, peeping out form the top.  

“Hi, Aya.”

…DO SOMETHING AYA…

CLOSE YOUR MOUTH!

My mouth swiftly closes and is replaced with a small smile. I move to the side, allowing him to walk into my apartment. With one hand, I close the door and he turns to me. He catches my eyes with a small grin hanging off of his lips. Catching both of our attentions is a small meow emitting from Alii.

“Umm, is that her?”

I nod in response. I bring my arms closer to him, motioning him to pet her.

“Err... I dunno. She doesn’t bite...right?”

A laugh escapes my lips and I shake my head in response. I motion again and he cautiously reaches over and pets her fur. Alii purrs in contentment and tries to his hand, but she fails. In embarrassment, she wriggles out of my arms and scurries to the bedroom.

“I didn’t want to come empty handed, so I brought some wine. Is that okay?”

I nod and turn to grab my notepad and pencil off of the coffee table. As I walk back over to him, I write a response onto the notepad.

Yeah it’s totally fine. It actually goes with the theme today. I’m making pasta.”

“Can I help?”

Sure. Can you cook?

“’Can I cook?’ Watch me,” he chuckles. He puts down the wine bag onto the dining table and turns to me.

“What do you need me to do?”

You can help me make the sauce. I cut and cooked everything needed; the mushrooms, onions, basil, and the shrimp. I planned on using Alfredo sauce,” I write and point towards the ingredients on the counter, placed in between the stove and sink.

“What about the pasta?”

“I got the noodles. The pasta should be done by now. Let me turn off the stove and drain it.”

“Okay, chef. Your sous chef is here. But he is wondering where the aprons are,” he laughs.

I point over my shoulder to a small pantry adjacent to the refrigerator. Minseok walks to the pantry and pulls out an apron. While he’s putting it on, I turn off the stove and drain the pasta in the colander that was set in the sink. Hearing noises from over my shoulder, I glance over at Minseok, who’s pulling a pan from one of my cabinets.  He flashes a smile and sets the pan onto the stove. He turns on a burner and grabs the olive oil that is placed next to the stove. He proceeds to make the sauce, causing a savory aroma fill the air. Once he is done, he turns to me, holding a spoon filled with the Alfredo sauce.

“Wanna taste?”

I nod and he lifts the spoon to my mouth.

It’s really good.

I give him a thumbs up.

“…you’ve got a little som-, “he begins to say as he stares at the corner of my mouth. I reach for the stain, but he stops me. He softly grabs my chin and wipes away the stain from my face. Concentrating on my lips, he stares for a moment. His eyes flash to mine before returning to the sight of my lips. His body begins to lean forward. Following his actions, I begin to lean forward as well.

MEOW!


Author's Note:

I got a new poster! What do you guys think?

Don't forget to comment and upvote. Comments really help!