Girl From The Past

Pinky Promise [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai laid peacefully on his bed and was longing to take a nap after a long day of school. After the interaction with Mira and her brother, the universe must have been in a playful mood because life has totally rained on his parade during the following days.

He had to endure a week of test preparations and quizzes that tired him out, so even getting five or ten minutes of sleep was precious to him. He shifted slightly into the fetal position and started to drift off but was rudely awoken when he heard his bedroom door slam open against the wall. Kai looked over his shoulder to see why there was a loud commotion and noticed that Baekhyun was already striding towards his bed. 

"Wake up sleepy head and help me with the dance! We only have a couple of more days until our choreo projects are due!!" Baekhyun whined like a little kid which was something not so surprising.

Facing back to his wall, Kai returned to his original position and attempted to fall asleep again.

"Unlike you, I need to practice," Baekhyun declared eagerly. The continuing pestering from his friend was enough to prevent him from falling back to sleep. Annoyed that his plan to nap was ruined, Kai grunted and threw one of his pillows at Baekhyun, but the latter easily dodged Kai's attack.

"That will have to wait then. I have to get some groceries for Ma. She wants to make jjajangmyeon and soy sauce crab for dinner later," Kai replied as he regained enough energy to hop off his bed to change.

Hearing this made Baekhyun grin like a fool. Whenever his mother planned to cook, Baekhyun usually stayed. "Guess I'm staying for dinner," Baekhyun boasted excitedly as he plopped himself onto the bed.

Kai walked over to the desk beside his bed to retrieve his wallet and looked at an old picture that was next to his lamp before picking it up. It was a picture of him, Baekhyun, and other kids doing a silly pose. Behind them was a banner hanging that said 'Happy 9th Birthday!' 

In the middle was a younger Kai with dark-brown hair and around him were his best friends. It was a shame that they all had to separate once they reached middle school, but luckily Baekhyun and him were fortunate to have each other still. His birthday party was probably one of the few group get togethers they last had before separating.

There was no significant reason why it was on his desk but ever since him and his family moved in, his mother had put that on his desk and he just never moved it. Baekhyun glanced at his friend and noticed the picture frame in his hand.

"I wonder how it would've been if we hadn't all separated," Baekhyun pondered as the many possibilities entered his mind. He walked up to Kai then pointed to short boy with glasses in the picture, "I know he goes to our school. I wasn't as close to him as you were, but we talked a few times just to catch up. He's still the same witty guy we once knew." Saying this made both boys smile. 

"Ahh, Kyungsoo. Him and I used to be best friends in elementary school. I wonder if he would remember me if I were to approach him," Kai replied. Baekhyun shrugged and sat on the bed again. Kai remembered each kid in the photo, from left to right.

He noticed a particularly short, young girl who stood between him and another boy. Both her and Kai were sticking out their tongues and making the silliest face they could do. But what caught his eye, even with all the chaos that was happening in the picture, was that him and her were holding on to each other's pinkies. Kai remembered that day perfectly. It was the day that him and that girl met. They made a promise that day that only the both of them knew.

"Hey hyung, do you remember this girl?" Kai walked over to his bed and sat down next to his friend. Baekhyun grabbed the frame and looked at it intently.

Baekhyun smirked in an instant and nudged Kai in the ribs. “Yeah. Your little girlfriend. You two became inseparable that day!” A glare was shot towards Baekhyun's direction, but Baekhyun shrugged and giggled to himself. Yes, he giggled. Like a little girl.

“She wasn’t my girlfriend. We just happened to have a lot in common.”

“Dude, you totally liked her. Don’t lie!”

“You’re so annoying, Baek. I didn't like her.”

“Whatever you say. We all know you liked her.”

"Obviously you can't tell the difference from liking someone and being friends."

Kai got up from his bed and placed the frame back on his desk, but continued to study the picture. Him and the girl grew to become the best of friends. But after an incident, all communication dropped between them and he honestly doesn't know why even up until now. She just disappeared.

“Do you know what happened to her, hyung? After news broke out about her mom…” Kai winced after saying these words. It wasn’t something

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter