Just Like Old Times

Pinky Promise [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

About ten to fifteen minutes away was the Dream Forest park, the place where they wanted to go and have the picnic. Jae immediately snatched Mira's hand and dragged her out of the car and down the hill, not even waiting for the others.

Mira turned around to see what was taking the others so long. Kai, Chen, Luhan and Baekhyun were running a little late but just had to pick up some last minute things. Lay and Tao were helping Sehun, Chanyeol and Kyungsoo unload the car, which was a pretty sight itself.

It was a miraculous thing to hear that Tao and Lay were okay with riding with Chanyeol and Kyungsoo while Mira, Jae, and Sehun rode together. Even having Jae meet Tao for the first time was refreshing to see.

"Hey princess, are you just going to stand there or are you going to help us?" Sehun yelled out sarcastically and scolded Mira, and in return she just rolled her eyes, but decided to walk back up the hill to help.

"Let's go Jae, we should help." Fortunately, he obeyed.

Once they all had something to carry and the car was fully unloaded, each one of them walked down the hill trying their absolute best not to drop anything. They all had their hands full with food, equipment, utensils, and other things for the picnic. Although they were struggling, they didn't want to make more than one trip. 

As they found a great spot under a big tree that provided shade and coverage from above near the pond, everyone placed the items on the grass and began to set up the tents and blankets. While Sehun and Chanyeol worked on the tent, Lay and Tao set up the blankets, Kyungsoo set up the grill, while Mira set up the table to place the food on. After about ten minutes, everything was ready to go and all they were waiting for were the others to come. 

"Ahh, so relaxing!" Tao exclaimed as he squatted down to lay down on the blanket in front of the tent, soon closing his eyes. Chanyeol joined Tao and laid next to him, which startled Tao at first, but he got used to it after a couple of seconds. Chanyeol rested his hands behind his head and closed his eyes, "It's not as cold anymore, thank goodness. We can actually enjoy the day without having to worry about being cold!"

Mira picked up a blanket and laid it next to the big tree so she could sit down and lean against the trunk. She brought her knees up against her chest and hugged them as she closed her own eyes and listened to what nature had to offer. The rustling of the crispy fall leaves on the trees, the wind pushing through the green field and trees, the water splashing by other kids playing with it, the songs of the blue birds chirping, the beautiful-

"THE. PARTY. IS. HERE! WOOHOOOO!!!!!"

"BYUN BAEKHYUN IS HERE, PLEASE HOLD YOUR APPLAUSE!"

"YEAH, I'M HUNGRY! WHERE DA CHICKEN AT?!"

The not so beautiful and annoying little brats, aka Luhan, Baekhyun, and Kai, who interrupted Mira's meditation period. Mira scrunched her face in disapproval and peeked as she opened one eye and saw the cause of the loud noise. She sighed in defeat, got up and walked over to greet the cause of the commotion. 

"Kyung to da Soo, let's finally cook some meat!" The voice belonged to the hyper slash happy virus, Chanyeol. How he had so much energy in him, no one will ever know. He got up from the blanket to grab the meat off the table to grill while Kyungsoo attempted to light the grill. Kai, Baekhyun, Chen, and Luhan greeted Mira and the others before they began setting up the food they brought.

"Lu-hyung, Kai hyung! Hi!" Jae radiated off his bright smile as he hugged the two, then walked to Baekhyun and recited, "Baek-hyung! Get it? Your name is Baekhyun but I say Baekhyung because you're my hyung!" The innocent little comment made Baekhyun show his aegyo and he squeezed Jae's cheeks, "Jae! You are such a cute, handsome man!" 

"Hi little man, I'm Chen, aka the Chensing Machine!" Chen introduced himself first and expected a big hug or smile, but was slightly confused when Jae just looked at him with a "WTF" face. "W-What's wrong? Why are you looking at me like that?"

Jae pointed at Chen and looked at Mira, "This is Chen hyung? The hyung you said that can't dance but still thinks he's the best? What did you say? That he's full of himself?" Mira froze in her spot while her eyes widened in disbelief because her little brother just put her under the spotlight. Everyone's eyes were now focused on her. Oh, how embarrassing...

"WHAT. THE. HECK. MIRA. HOW COULD YOU?!" Chen remarked out loud, feeling a little hurt, but the rest of the gang dropped what they were doing and literally fell to the ground, laughing their asses off. 

"Hehe, I'm sorry Chen!" Mira awkwardly giggled and apologized, but that didn't stop the others from laughing at it. But Chen himself let out a chuckle while he shook his head in amusement.

"Jae, don't listen to her. I can DEFINITELY DANCE. She's just jealous." The fact that Chen put an emphasis on the words 'definitely' and 'dance' made it even more unbelievable.

Lay burst out laughing,"Let's leave that for Jae to decide! You'll see for yourself maybe later, Jae!"

Jae giggled and nodded in excitement, for he couldn't wait to see that. After the laughs died down, everyone continued to cook and get the ingredients ready to cook. With everyone's help, pretty soon the food was almost ready to serve.

The meat was the only item left that they were waiting for and once it was done, Kyungsoo and Chanyeol put all the meat on a plate and placed it in the middle of the table, surrounded by the other dishes.

"Alright everyone, DIG IN!" It was like starving cavemen fighting over a piece of meat. Everyone plunged forward to grab food even before Baekhyun could finish his sentence.

"Woah, watch out Baek! You almost made me drop my food!"

"MEAT! I. MUST. HAVE. MEAT! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND LAY!"

"Don't eat all of the fried chicken, you guys! Save some for me!"

"Kyungsoo, you seriously made this?! It's so good!"

"Yes, Chanyeol. But.. Chanyeol.. You have something on your mouth. Here let me get that for you."

"Oh.. Hehe, thanks Kyungsoo."

"Hey, let Jae have some chicken too, Kai!"

"Did you seriously just get some sauce on my Gucci shoes?!"

"Oh no, Princess Tao has arrived..."

"Shut up, Luhan! These cost more than your face!"

"TAKE THAT BACK, TAO."

"How is the food almost gone already?!"

"Wow, I'm so full. I feel like I ate a whole whale," Chanyeol was laid across the grass with his eyes closed and slurred his words from sleepiness. 

"I'm so full that I feel like my stomach is about the size of Shrek's, Winnie The Pooh's, and Snorlax's combined," Luhan challenged, making others laugh.

"I'm so full that every time I laugh, I feel like farting, but I'm scared that if I do, I'll accidentally poo in my pants," Chen simply stated with no shame.

"EWW, GROSS!"

"HAHA, what the hell?!"

His statement received both laughs and groans. All of the plates that the dishes were once on were now empty. Not a noodle, crumb, or grain of rice were left on any of the platters. It's been almost forty minutes since everyone has finished eating, but because they ate so much, everyone just laid peacefully on the ground, waiting to digest.

While Chanyeol, Kai, Chen, and Kyungsoo laid their bodies on the grass, you had Mira, Jae, Sehun, and Lay napping in the tent, while Baekhyun, Tao, and Luhan laid against the big tree next to each other.

Luhan stared at the sleeping Mira inside the tent and sighed. "Psst, heys guys," he whispered to Kai and the others laying on the floor. This grabbed Baekhyun and Tao's attention, but his attempt to get the other's attention failed and tried again. "Hey, pssssssst!"

Chen scrunched up his face and grumbled, "Whaaaaaaaat??"

Luhan glanced inside the tent again and made sure the Oh siblings were asleep. "Do you think this whole plan of trying to get Mira to remember will work?"

The other males remained silent as they thought to themselves. Here they were at a park together, having a picnic after not speaking to each other for years, just because they felt the need to help ONE person: Mira. 

Kai sat up and rested his elbows on his knees and looked at Luhan, "Why? Do you think it won't work?"

"I'm not sure... Do you think she has some kind of amnesia? Is that possible?" Luhan thought out loud. This immediately made Baekhyun freeze. Why? Because that one day Sehun pulled him aside to talk about Mira, Sehun told him a lot, if not everything. 

"Huh? Mira has amnesia??" Chanyeol now joined the conversation. 

"No, I'm asking if it's possible if she does," Luhan quickly corrected the tall male.

"If she did, doesn't that mean her brain is messed up or something?" Tao questioned. "I mean, she seems fine to me. But the fact that she can't remember some of her past... Sounds like it could be amnesia, don't you think?"

"But wouldn't she have to get treated constantly? I don't think she's getting treated," Chen added in which Kyungsoo replied, "I'm pretty sure she's not getting treated. I'm with her a lot with Sehun and Chanyeol. 

"Wait, since you guys are always together, wouldn't you know if she has amnesia or not?" Luhan brought up a good question to Kyungsoo.

"... No. W-we, well... I-I don't know..."

"Sehun just says that she 'distanced herself from the past', but we're not sure if it was voluntary or involuntary..." Chanyeol remarked, leaving the others dumbfounded and shocked.

Hearing this made Baekhyun want to say something. It was his turn to talk.

"You're right."

Everyone's attention turned to the owner of the voice. "Oh... Sehun... We didn't mean to wake you..." Luhan apologized and felt embarrassed.

"Nah, it's all good. It was getting cramped in the tent anyways. It's true, what he said about her distancing herself from her past," Sehun acknowledged Chanyeol's words. He quietly and stealthly climbed out of the tent, not wanting to wake Lay, Mira, or Jae.

"How so?" Luhan asked, leaving everyone else to tune into his and Sehun's conversation.

"Well, if you all must know, if you don't already... Mira's mother passed away while Mira was still a young kid and while Jae was still a few months old. Within that period, Mira was devastated to the point where she wouldn't eat or do what she loved the most... Dance. Not even more than half a year later, their father left for the States to break all ties with his past. He left selfishly without even taking his childrens' feelings into consideration. He felt like they would be an every day reminder of his deceased wife. He was a coward. Luckily, my parents were more than willing to accept them into our family. Although their father was a "total ", the exact words from my mom, they still took them in. Not for his benefit, but for Mira's and Jae's. By this time, her and I attended a different middle school than everyone else and the reason why we lost contact with everyone was because we had to focus on only Mira and Jae for awhile. To take care of them and protect them... I'm sorry... My parents provided so much love and attention to them and for once, she was happy. Genuinely happy. I started to see Mira eat again and she began to listen to more upbeat songs. Pretty soon, she was smiling again."

Sehun paused to smile.

"To see that major improvement in her was monumental. Ever since she changed, I vowed to always keep her and her brother happy. That I would be the big brother to them. She ended up talking to me again, which made me feel better. She even took the initiative sometimes to take care of her younger brother or my- I mean, our, parents. But it seems as if she distanced herself from the past so much that it caused her to forget about some things. After a traumatic event, you have to try your hardest to get through it, no matter what the obstacle is. Whatever it was to Mira, she succeeded because now she can't even remember who most of you are, even though if she's known you for two, three, even four years... My parents took notice of it and went to a doctor to ask about it and..."

He faded out the sentence, keeping everyone on their toes. Sehun stared blankly into the sky as if waiting for a confirmation from God or her deceased mother to say it's okay to tell them. 

Chanyeol stood up and walked over to Sehun to pat his back for comfort. Sehun sighed because all of this was still difficult to explain.

"You don't have to continue if you don't want to. If you're ready and if you want to, you can te-" Sehun interrupted Baekhyun, "No, it's okay. I'm fine. It's just that..."

Everyone was listening sharply. "Well, when my parents mentioned it to the doctor, he asked if she had any accidents that resulted in her head getting hurt or bruised. They declined... But remember that time when she was sent to the hospital? A few weeks before her mother's incident?" Some nodded their heads while the rest listened intently with their mouths open.

"The time when we were playing at the playground?" Tao asked.

"Oh yeah... We were playing tag!" Chen said and was trying to recall the memories.

"And... And she fell down the slide..." Luhan brought up. "We had to call the ambulance."

"The day she earned that scar..." Kai whispered under his breath, almost inaudible. Luckily no one heard him as he thought out loud to himself.

"She had to go through some scans to check if there was anything out of the ordinary. The doctor announced that she was fine physically. Just some minor cuts and bruises, but because of dehydration and constant practicing for a dance show, she had to be treated. He told my parents that her brain was perfectly fine and the fall didn't affect her head. But after her mother passed, all hell let loose. After she got released from the hospital, she got to spend one more week with her mom before..." Sehun sighed and closed his eyes to hold back his tears. He closed his eyes tightly and opened them a second later to continue, "As more time passed after her death and after having no communication with you guys and as we tried to help her recover from the death, she pretty much got herself to forget, in a way. It's complicated to explain... The doctor said it may have been too much for her to handle, so she tried to distance herself from the past. With her mother's death and her father's departure, she also unintentionally forgot the times before the accident... The doctor ruled out any kind of amnesia because her brain is fine, yet here she is, unable to recall memories from the past."

Baekhyun relaxed and was almost relieved that Sehun broke it to the guys. He started to feel a little burdened for being the only one who knew, but it became difficult to imagine how much burden Sehun has been feeling. Kai surprisingly wasn't freaking out, but that didn't mean his head wasn't going crazy and having a war inside.

"So that's why we didn't hear from you guys anymore... I see..." That was all Kai said before disappearing into his own thoughts. His head was so clouded up that he didn't know what to think. He felt like he had many questions to ask but for some reason he couldn't re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter