Nine.

My Beautiful Nightmare

 

“Lena,” Sehun murmured, pausing slightly to hear the name roll off of his tongue “consider us even now, with me doing this.” Your gaze locked with his a moment longer and his heartbeat sped erratically. The sensation was terrifying as much as it was addictive.

"Okay," Kai smoothly cut in "Lena." it had a sweet ring to it, like he could say it over and over but never get tired of it. "That’s an interesting name; it sounds foreign.”

“Thank you.” Murmuring softly, you fought the urge to blush. You were bad with compliments. You never got them often and if the off hand chance arose and you did, you never really knew how to respond to them. “I’m um, actually mixed.” And yet it didn’t show at all. Not that you could really get your hopes up though. Your mother was Korean while your father was half British half Korean. Though he did have many distinguishing traits – being a couple inches over six feet with thick fair hair and pale blue eyes – you only received your mother’s average height, flat black hair, and dark eyes.

“Really?”

“Y-yes, but I don’t really look foreign at all. I only have the name.” Surprisingly he smiled.

“But it’s pretty.” Your heart stumbled for a moment before bursting into high speed. That was unexpected, almost… flirty? “Well, now we know your name, but you don't know ours." He continued, gesturing to himself, Lay, and Sehun. You bit your lip, silently contemplating. You did know. You knew many things about each of them to the point it might become embarrassing if you said too much.

"Actually, I think I know who you guys are." You murmured, deciding to be honest. A look of surprise crossed the boy's face. It was innocent and pure looking, and without noticing it made your lips curve the slightest bit.

"Can you tell us who's who?" Sehun asked.

Get this right, they'll laugh at you if you don't.

Taking in a breath you looked up at the golden eyed boy in front of you "You go by the name Kai-sshi," Otherwise known as Kim Jongin, and by far one of the most popular and notorious kingkas of the twelve. He was known for his strikingly handsome features that could go from adorable to seductive in seconds. In other words, he was a pretty boy. Most of the rumours and ‘scandals’ you’ve heard were based around his character (if that could even count in a high school). Almost every queenka had eyes for him, claiming they have dated him, were currently dating, or going to date him, making him the playboy like no other. At least, that’s what you’ve heard.

“Go by? Does that mean you know my real name?” The surprise in his expression looked genuine, and made you internally squirm.

“W-well, uh, yes.” You didn’t want to make it seem like you knew much, if anything of them. “It’s Jongin-sshi, right?” Almost immediately the said boy smiled, his illustrious eyes twinkling.

“Yeah it is.” You looked down, the heat creeping farther up your cheeks. He chuckled a little, offering his hand “It’s nice to meet you.” Hesitating for a moment you reached out, shaking it.

“It’s nice to meet you too,” Murmuring quietly you averted your gaze. You didn’t want any of them to notice how much of an impact their eye contact was having on you, but it was almost impossible to completely avoid. As if you were in a half trance your eyes began to lift, locking with the eldest boy. "You’re Lay-sshi, right?" You asked softly. Lay was another nickname, his birth name being Yixing. He was known for his shy politeness but sincere and kind hearted personality. Although he was also supposed to have a little bit of a teasing side and was the type to forget things a lot, he was still deemed one of the most adorable and angelic of the group. Now, he looked really shy; it was a trait that reminded you of yourself.

“Do you think that’s my real name?” He asked almost hesitantly. One of his hands reached up to grasp the side of his neck, his head subconsciously tilting down. “Or uh, do you think it’s my real name?” A warm feeling spread over you as you shook your head.

“No, its Yixing-sshi isn’t it?” The latter simply nodded. He behaved almost cautiously, but looked more bashful than anything. He had spoken the least to you, choosing to observe the situation. Those were things you always tended to do. “It’s nice to meet you.” You murmured. He took a step forward, grasping your hand within his own.

“It’s nice to meet you-” You both locked gazes for a moment “-too.” Lay abruptly looked down at the floor, then back up to you. A polite smile graced his lips and he took a step back, his hand going to his neck again.  

Lastly, you turned to the boy at your side. He was watching you, his eyes a sweet honey gold, just as bright as the other two's had been. "And you’re Sehun-sshi." you finished. He didn't respond, but you knew you were right. Oh Sehun, the youngest of the twelve. He was also one of the most distant and mysterious members, the infamous ice prince. Not many people outside of Exo could boast of having talked to him; most of his responses to others were short and abrupt. A majority of the time he didn’t answer at all. To you that seemed to make his fan base one of the largest. With his quiet indifference and almost cold personality, it added allure to his image. Though honestly you didn’t think that was it. You thought there was more than just this persona.

He had been kind and considerate to you, a stranger. But what motivated him to do so, sympathy? If so he had already done more than necessary, and so did his friends for showing concern and waiting over you.

"We’re actually in the same class." you ventured further. That seemed to surprise him a bit, his eyes widening the slightest fraction. But that didn't shock him as much as it did Kai.

"Seriously?" You turned to him, slightly surprised by his reaction

"Yeah, class 2-B." you blushed a little, hoping he didn't think it was weird you knew. Kai continued to stare at you, his brow rising a bit in awe.

“That’s funny, I mean it’s already been a couple months and we haven’t even seen each other before.”

“We?” You echoed, looking between the two in slight confusion.

What does he mean? I was talking about Sehun when I said that…

Lay held a fist to his mouth; he could feel a small grin growing beneath it. “This doesn’t look right.”

“What?” Kai asked, his brow crinkling into confusion. “Am I missing something?”

“I think she’s the one that’s missing something.” Sehun averted his gaze to the floor, biting his lips to keep from smiling. It wasn’t working, his lips curving despite his attempts.

“What. Sehun.” Kai said.

"W-what is it?" You asked, trying to decipher their smiles.

“Kai's in 2-B too." Sehun murmured. Lay chuckled lightly under his breath at that and you felt your face begin to burn. “Did you, not realize it?”

"You seriously didn't know?" He asked, looking slightly baffled. You shrugged slightly, feigning nonchalance. As if the miscalculation hadn’t affected you in the slightest.

"Well, it’s not like we talked or... anything, really." You trailed off lamely, multiple pauses laced in to make you seem more awkward than you actually thought possible. “I mean there’s just so many people in c-class that it’s really difficult to know who’s there and who isn’t. N-not that I know a lot of people, or that I’m actually looking for someone in particular.” The more you spoke the more it only made your face burn. Mortification was a solid fist in your gut, squeezing every last drop of dignity within you.

Excellent work Lena, prepare to die of your own eternal shame.

"It's fine, you don't have worry about it." Lay tried to assured you, noticing your discomforted look. Kai on the other hand was still mute.

It was very arrogant and cocky to boast one’s own popularity. That was never something that interested Kai. At the same time, it was hard not to admit that he was liked. A lot. With the way some girls treated him, it always somehow crossed his mind just how well known and regarded he and his brothers were. Maybe before it would have been a bit much to say, but the way things were now he could honestly admit (though with a bit of embarrassment) that he had never been not recognized or overlooked by anyone.

This news alone brought a torrent of emotions swirling inside of him. Most of it was shock. He didn’t really feel irritated or angry; a twisted feeling remained in his gut that wouldn’t go away. It wasn’t terrible; it felt like nerves mixed with exhilaration.

He watched you for a moment, taking in your shuffling feet, pink cheeks, and bright eyes. Even in the midst of embarrassment they looked warm and pure. The conversation was reaching a pause, and he could hear your heart quickening in tempo against the silence.  The sound was nervous; he could feel his own heartbeat begin to quicken in time with it. This too didn’t feel bad at all, just a bit…funny.

"Anyways, I’ve been meaning to say this so um, t-thank you." You blurted, snapping him out of his reverie.

"What for?" It was Sehun that replied.

"W-well, for everything," you looked between him and Kai. "for helping me when I fell, and for helping me with the queenkas" The second recovered a smile. The first only nodded his head, but a warm sort of look remained in his gaze. This situation was definitely not one you would have pictured yourself in. But, this wasn’t so bad (even though you basically killed any chance of leaving a good image of yourself). They were...nice. A little different from what you had been expecting, but in a good way.

At least, for a first impression.

You weren’t sure what to make of their eye color. It would have been fine if it had always been that way, but you had clearly seen Sehun’s irises change in front of you. Who knew if the other two could do the same thing? Did it change at will, or was it as a reaction to something? The fact you hadn’t really gotten a good look at any of them face to face before today made it impossible to know. You had so many questions you wanted to ask, but it was impossible at this point.

"You’re still worrying over that?" Kai asked.

“It’s not fair if I don’t. I don’t want to be in debt.” You looked down, tugging on the long sleeves of the gym uniform.

The three of them had an indescribable trait to them. Something irregular, but you couldn’t quite put your finger on what it was. You couldn't be completely comfortable because of that. Maybe it was because at the end of it all, they were the kingkas. And you were only the wallflower. It was a fact you could only be all too aware of.  And it was because of that you knew you should make yourself leave.

"I should probably get going now." You murmured, shuffling towards the door. To your surprise, they immediately turned attentive.

"It will be break soon," Lay spoke softly, his heart stretching with each step you took. "You should rest here for a bit, and then go back when class starts later." You shook you head, giving him a reassuring smile.

"No, I should just go now. I probably missed a lot of work, and I still need to get my things."

“Then let’s go together,” Sehun spoke up, coming to stand next to you again. “You’ll need the help to find our friend so you can get your bag, plus we're in the same class.”

Great point.

“You could just point me in the right direction…” You trailed off, a half grimace on your face. It wasn’t that you were necessarily uncomfortable around them. No you were just in general awkward around everyone. But with them you had definitely been enough of a burden.

“What, are you afraid you’ll owe us something for this?” Kai came to your other side. Unlike the latter his face was all smiles. “Let’s go.” You stared into his golden orbs for a moment, then abruptly looked away. Not failing to realize you didn’t answer his question of course.

“A-alright,”

I’m stupid. I’m so stupid. Way to keep the resolve Lena.

“Lay hyung, are you coming?” The boy in question hesitated to respond, still standing in place. You look over your shoulder, catching him off guard for the umpteenth time with your gaze.

For a moment he forgot what he was going to say, the world around him getting caught in a fuzzy haze.

“Hyung.” The voice echoed distantly; even that was difficult for him to focus on. You were looking at him with a sort of curious expression; watching, waiting for him to react. “If you want to stay back that’s fine.” He forced his gaze to lift, landing on the tall figure at her side. Sehun’s illustrious gaze had dimmed somewhat, definitely not enough to be unnoticeable. There was a set to his jaw, his features coolly

neutral. “Don’t come if you don’t think you’re going to be comfortable.”  

“Sehun-”

“I would tell you the same thing but it looks like you're fine as it is.” Kai didn’t respond, the silence stretching between the three.

“Is something wrong?” You spoke, feeling unsure of the sudden quiet. “If there’s somewhere you need to be, don’t let us stop you.” Lay stared. With the color of his eyes his gaze looked intense, penetrating into your skin and sending tingles up your arms.

“Sorry, but I remembered I had something to do. You three go on ahead.” Sehun immediately turned, walking out the door. Kai soon followed but you hesitated a bit, bowing slightly. A small smile graced your lips as you did.

“It was nice meeting you anyways. Bye.” His heart fumbled a bit, unable to keep steady as you walked out the door.  

 

 

The moment I was sure the three had gone away I collapsed onto a chair. All of a sudden my chest felt like it was on fire, burning away from the inside out. The sensation was disturbing as much as it was emptying. I felt empty.

What have I done

Whenever I tried to close my eyes she would appear, her face perfectly seared on the backs of my eyelids. No matter how much I didn’t want to think about what had happened, what I done, it was nearly impossible. I shouldn’t have been here. I shouldn’t have met her.

“Hyung, go to class.” Kai’s voice echoed in my head. “We’ll talk about what happened later. For now just try and act normal.” I slowly lifted my head, my eyes veering off to the little mirror on the nurse’s table.

“That’s not possible at this point.” I couldn’t be normal anymore could I? Not with…her around. Like Sehun, and now Kai I couldn’t avoid this.

“Well you have to at least try until the end of school. We don’t have many options.”

We didn’t have any options, at least from what I could see. Suho and Kris explained it well enough; this was irreversible.

“The gold color will fade away soon enough; just try to calm down a bit. It helps.” Sehun’s voice was soft, I almost missed it.

I stood up from the chair, my steps almost soundless against the floor. Picking up the little round mirror I stared into its reflection.

A stranger stared back, their honey gold eyes swirling in a slow vortex.

“Breathe.” I inhaled deeply then exhaled, forcing myself to at least try to calm down. The color remained its rich hue, but the light began to dim, if only a bit.

“It’ll take a while, but its better then nothing.”

“Thanks.” I responded softly. The longer time passed on the color gradually began to weaken, growing dulled and darker.

“Sehun, tell me what really happened to you guys out in the field.” Nothing “What was a vampire doing there with her?” Another moment of quiet, but then his voice unfolded again in the back of my mind.

“I’m warning you now you’re not going to like what I have to say.” I couldn't help but chuckle. The sound was dark against my ears, as I watched my irises slowly trace back to brown.  

“Unfortunately that’s what I’m expecting.”

 

~~~