Twenty Three.

My Beautiful Nightmare

“I’m going to go.”  Lay said as the silence extended, and rose from his chair. He moved a little too quickly, the seat knocking into the desk behind him. His seatmate, a droopy eyed boy who had been nodding off, flinched in surprise.

“Woah. You okay?” The boy asked, scratching his head. Sleep deprivation was clear behind his glasses.

Lay patted his back, instantly apologetic “Sorry man.” A number of people were staring, most with bemused expressions. Heat creeped up his neck as he walked up the rows to the classroom door.

What the heck am I doing?

Walking through the corridor was hectic. He murmured apologies if he bumped into anyone and offered hellos as they came at him. Some laughed at his rushed behaviour, others . All Lay did was smile, slightly breathless. It was slow going at best, some part of him felt like it was too slow.

The main entrance was a plugged. People came shivering water droplets off their coats and umbrellas. Others had not been so ready for the downpour, trudging puddles into the school as they hunted for gym clothes or friend’s jackets to wear. The floor squeaked with every slide or slip, people latching onto each other in chains to keep from falling face first. One of the gym teachers stood amidst the fray, waving a metre stick threateningly so people would move faster. Lay stood at the edge, eyes searching between the faces. It crossed his mind what it must look like for him to be here.

“Anything?” Sehun’s voice was right at his ear. From the sound of it he seemed ready to drop everything and follow him there.

“I don’t know okay, there’s too many people.” It was loud. From fatigue sighs, to the normal chatter of conversation, to the stray peals of laughter the place was chaotic mess. He circled the space once, twice with his eyes. There were far more people in rain coats then there were without them.

Lay edged around the crowd. The glass doors had been swung open, pods of people continuing to rush in. He passed by them, stopping at the foot of the concrete steps. The rain began about a foot ahead, falling horizontal with the sound of a roaring ssa. The courtyard smelled like wet concrete and soil. People were speeding up from the gates, heads bowed under umbrellas, hoods, and hats. One guy held his backpack over his head, muttering curses as he passed his laughing friends. Three girls were hunched over a single polka dot umbrella, fighting to stay the most dry as they scurried by the steps.

All these people, and still no sign of you.

He walked straight into the rain, immediately feeling freezing water soak through fabric into his skin. The cold was a faint shock, alerting his senses. He blinked rapidly, trying to keep his vision from blurring over as he headed towards the gates. Every moment stretched thin. The longer he waited, searching, the bleak feeling in his chest grew. It twisted within his inner wolf, making it feel like it was about to rise.

“You okay?” A voice called. Lay turned sharply, noticing for the first time a person was standing next to him. It was a student, his uniform under heavy black coat. The umbrella he carried was black too; the boy extended it over them both. Even though the sun was already covered by the clouds a dark shadow was still drawn over them both.

“I’m fine.” Lay said. Reality seemed to hit him in the face. What was he thinking he could do, wandering around drenched? The stranger wasn’t staring at him with pity or judgement, but it didn’t lessen the sudden stab of self consciousness. “I was uh, looking for something.”

“I kinda guessed. No one would be out here without a good reason.” The boy chuckled. Lay tried to smile. The chill of the rain seemed to sharpen against his skin.   

Why didn’t I at least bring my umbrella?   

“You should go in, before it gets any worse out here.” Lay said, half of him in the right mind to follow along with such an idea. The other half kept his feet solid against the ground, unbudging.

“Of course. I hate the rain,” The boy grinned, taking a step towards the building. He looked over his shoulder at the kingka “do you want the umbrella?”

Lay shook his head, “No, it’s fine.” It crossed his mind how casually the boy talked. Was he a third year too? Did they have a class together that Lay hadn’t realized?

“Are you sure? I think you’ll need it.”

“I’m heading in too right now. Don’t worry about me.”

A small laugh escaped the boy’s lips “I didn’t mean you.” Lay stared back, confused. “Well in part it includes you but,” he put emphasis on the syllable, aiming the point of his umbrella towards the entrance gate “I meant it moreso for the lamb.”

Lay followed the direction of his gaze. A figure was crouched. Her bag was hitched up her shoulders as if to prevent it from falling, her hair inches from touching concrete. He inhaled sharply, the cold feeling attacking his lungs. It was faint, the rain muddling every scent into a near indiscernible heap, but it was there. The blossoms.

Something hit his side abruptly, making Lay jump. The boy was grinning, his eyes holding a dark gleam as he backed away, the umbrella now in Lay’s hands.

“One knowing is still one too many, wolf.” The words were hushed against the rain, too quiet to be heard. But Lay caught them, and it seemed as if the boy knew he would. “Don’t get too emotional, or I’ll get to point out your little eye trick for everyone.”  

“Who are you.” The words came out soft, nearly emotionless. Lay held the umbrella in a death grip, alarm signals were going off in his head.  

The boy smiled, the line of pearl white stretching just a hint too wide, revealing the extended points of his canines. Too long to be human, but perfect to bite into one.

“Lay?” It was Sehun’s voice, quiet. Wary. Kai was silent but still there all the same.The vampire walked into the mass of people, disappearing in seconds. Lay turned, lowering the black umbrella to his side. Without a shield the rain pour mercilessly over his clothes and face.

"He’s here." The wooden handle creaked in warning. If he held on any tighter it would splinter. You were looking up, staring from your crouch. It was like you had frozen at the sight of Lay. “Where.” Kai said. His voice had gone dark and lethal.

You had a hand was tucked under your knees, as if holding your ankle. Lay zeroed in on it instantly, closing the distance between you both..

“Find him.” Lay ordered, adrenaline cackling through his limbs, tensing the muscle and bone the way it would before a shift to his wolf form.

“L-lay sunbae.” You said, shocked. A plastic poncho had been hastily thrown over your uniform, some of the clear plastic still clinched up from your backpack straps. It had done nothing for your hair or face, which were well soaked by the downpour.

He crouched, shoving his nerves down as soon as they tried to rise. How long had the vampire been watching you? Did he trail you all the way here? Could it be he already knew where you lived?

“What happened?” He asked, reaching for your ankle. The moment his fingers brushing against skin you recoiled.

“Nothing.” The word came out an octave higher, as if from surprise. “I’m fine.” You stood, then nearly tripped from untied laces. Lay held your arm until you balanced, feeling the incredulous look grow on his face. You were wide eyed, staring at him in an almost wary way, like he was the one to be careful around.  

He was relieved. He was exasperated. And he was all too aware of the particular pair of eyes that could be watching you both that very second.

“You were holding your foot. Are you hurt?” He asked tensely.

“I was tying my shoes. W-what are you doing out here?!” You looked around quickly, and noticing the amount of stares at the both of you quickly ducked your head. “Why are you all wet?!” Without even a decent jacket on, Lay already knew he was in a worse state than anyone else outside. You picked up the umbrella at his side, holding it over you both. It was large, a perfect fit for the two of you. The thought was almost uncanny.

“Are you alright?”

“I was waiting for you.” He spoke slowly, looking back at the school entrance. You alternated between staring at him and at the doors.

“W-what? I didn’t say I was coming.”

“You’ve been gone all week.” He tried to keep his voice calm, reasonable at least. But all he could hear was the tone of someone upset, or just terse. “What happened to you?”

“A vacation.” You stuttered out. “My parents took me and my younger brother.” He stared at your face silently, searching. It seemed to unnerve you; the emotions running across your face were too easy to read. “I was supposed to be back on Friday but m-my flight got diverted.” He could see the surprise and apologeticness. The minute trembles in your hand told him you were cold too.

“Let’s get inside.” He took the umbrella. You followed with your shoulders hunched, staying just close enough to remain underneath the shelter. For once he couldn’t be bothered to mention something about it, his eyes narrowed at the entrance.

“He’s wearing a long black jacket and grey bag.”

“You think I need a clothing description to find him?” Kai said. Both him and Sehun were split on the main level, combing through the people surging in. “I just need his face.”

“Don’t start anything.” Sehun intervened, his voice like steel. “Lure him out. We need to find out what he knows.”

Your steps began to slow. Noticing your presence fade back Lay turned sharply. “Sunbae where are you going?” You asked, pointing in the direction of the front entrance. “We should go this way.”

“Right.” The cramped space of humans and Creatures was suddenly terrifying. He purposely stepped in front of your path, steering in the other direction “Let’s take a side entrance. It’s too crowded here.” The idea seemed reasonable so you followed his lead, though a bit slowly. The impulse move faster almost made him grab your arm again, but Lay restrained himself.

Inside there was the usual onset of stares, most reflecting amusement at the state you two were in. Embarrassment burned your cheeks, but after a while you began to notice it’s lack of effect on Lay. Instead of making conversation he was mute, focusing more on the people passing by. Occasionally he would turn and stare behind you both for seconds at a time, at what seemed to be nothing.

Is he looking for something? Is he ignoring me? Oh god, don’t tell me he’s trying to find Sehun and Kai.

After a while though, you got the sense it might not be that either; he was tense because of something, but what was it?

Eventually you reached the main common area. The large ivory clock clicked away relentlessly, time draining away to the beginning of classes. But Lay wasn’t taking you towards the second year classrooms; he was heading in the other direction entirely.

“Uh s-sunbae-” He stopped abruptly at your utterance. You fought the urge to gulp. His stare was intense, and yet he didn’t seem to realize it “I’m this way.” You pointed a meek hand down one hallway. “See you at lunch then?”

So confident and assured sounding Lena, really.

To your surprise he held you back, “Not yet. You’re a mess.” You’re mouth fell open, feeling a stab at your pride. Lay’s eyes widen a fraction when his words registered. “I meant your hair is soaked.”

“Y-yeah I kind of know that already.” You gestured with your free hand at his clothes “Y-you’ve been trailing puddles since we got in.” A line of mini pools started at his feet and went down the corridor. It was surprising he hadn’t slipped yet, or seemed to take note that he was soaked.

“There are towels in the infirmary. We can clean up there.” He murmured.

“This won’t be dry in ten minutes. Why not grab your gym uniform from the locker room?” You offered. It was a good idea, but doing so would separate you both.

“It’ll take too much time that way. Come on-” He pulled you along. You tried protesting, but when more people walked nearby you eventually fell into stupefied silence.  

 

The infirmary was like a bubble of quiet muffling the sounds of the outside corridors. Unfortunately the space wasn’t entirely vacant; the school nurse looked up from her desk top as we both entered.

“What happened to you two?!” She gasped.

I bowed slightly, peeking at Lay as I spoke. “H-hello. We came to borrow some of the towels.” She pointed her pen to the other side of the room, to the low shelves stacked with boxes. “Stay away from the cots! Don’t get them wet-” She ordered, eyes trained on the trail of water being brought in. “I sent some towels with the gym teacher. Did they already run out?”

It was more likely that the man had traded them for his metre stick.

“We hadn’t seen any.” Lay explained.

The woman stood from her chair, the same idea probably picking through her thoughts “Clean up quick. I’ll be right back.” She walked briskly out, the door clicking distinctly shut behind her. Silence hung between us.

Lay held a hand out, a towel in the other “Give me your bag.”

“I got it.” I said,  slipping it off my shoulders. The poncho crinkled with every move, even as I bent to balance the bag on the tops of my shoes.

“The bottom isn’t wet.” He plucked it from my grasp, balancing it against an empty cot. He held his free hand out again “The poncho.”

Reluctantly I shed it off, careful to turn it inside out so the water droplets wouldn’t spray the ground. Placing it on a nearby table I took the towel from his hand. “Thanks.” Lay nodded in response, grabbing a towel for himself. The abrupt pauses weren’t all awkward. He seemed too  lost in his mind; I was content in not having to attempt to make conversation, but curiosity was slowly eating at my resolve for silence.  

“How did you know?” I ventured. Lay blinked at me, coming to the present.

“Know what?”

“That I was coming. You said you were waiting for me.” I said quietly, watching his face. He met my gaze evenly.

How do they all manage to have the same look - like they’re consciously hiding something?

“I didn’t know.” He said after a moment, attacking his wet hair rigorously. “Someone said they they saw you on the way to school.”

“Saw me?” I echoed. “They recognized me?”

Lay gave a sidelong glance “Yeah. You’re pretty well known now.”

“Right.” I strived for an indifferent tone, throwing the towel over my head. In truth a tingly feeling still passed over my skin at the thought, like amazement and terror laced together. I was not popular. Anyone who wanted to date the one of the three saw me as an eyesore. But I was intriguing in a weird way, because kingkas talked to me now.

And one tried to seduce you. I nailed the thought in my head, like it would harden my expression and make me the intimidating one. Ha.

“How was it?” He uttered after a long pause. I had to pull the towel back so I could look at him.

“Huh?”

“The trip.” He murmured, not looking at me “Was it nice?”

“Uh, yeah. It was good.” More silence. “We were in Japan.” I offered. He nodded at the piece of information, then went back to his hair.

“What diverted the flight?”

“Engine trouble I guess.” I said, poking at the shelves. “What’s your um, clothing size?”

“Here let me grab it.” He said, coming up to my side. In trying to open a cabinet I held onto our fingers brushed slightly- his hands were cold, clammy with moisture.

“God you’re freezing.” I said, my brows furrowing in surprise. How could he go this long without saying anything? “You need to change.”   

I started rummaging through clothes, looking at the tags for sizes. “Would medium be okay?”

“Yes.” He said quietly. From the way he was acting it was like he didn’t really feel the cold. I held out a sweatshirt and some jogging pants, both in matching grey. He took the bundle from my hands. “Were you in the air when it happened?”

“Huh? O-oh yeah, it was during lift off.”

He watched my face, his eyes becoming softer “That must’ve been scary.”

I smiled just a hint “For a little bit. They got it under control pretty fast though.” I pointed out the bundle “I’ll go wait outside while you change.”

“It’s fine, there’s a washroom nearby.” He said, taking long strides to the door. At the last moment he looked over his shoulder at me “Stay here.”

Does it seem like I’m suddenly going to bolt?

“Right. Sure.”

He walked briskly out the door. I heaved out a breath I’d been subconsciously holding it.

What was that? And why the hell am I listening so nicely?

I flicked my hair down one shoulder, wringing the moisture out with the towel. The thought of Lay’s comment on my appearance had me running my fingers through it a couple times, then scurrying to the nurse’s desk for a quick peek from her standing mirror.

No one is going to care. There are more people drenched than you.

It was a vain effort to motivate myself to be indifferent.

I could’ve brought a hat. I stared at the face in the mirror, glowering subconsciously in dissatisfaction. Then again I don’t usually wear hats.

There was the sound of feet nearby the door, maybe people passing by on their way to classrooms. I stepped away from the desk, going at my scalp with the towel. It ended up being more of a cover, just in case anyone decided to peer inside. I already had enough of the stares directed me today, and first period hadn’t even started yet.

Surprisingly the sound got closer; a pair of feet stepped through the doorway. They were followed by a male’s voice: “Excuse me? Is the school nurse here?”

“N-no, she just left-” I said, turning quickly. The towel shifted over my forehead from the movement, partially covering the top of my vision. I had to lift my head higher to accommodate for it.  

Park Chanyeol stood a couple paces away from the doorway. My heartbeat faltered for a moment, then burst into a dangerous high speed.

Wh-... b-but, what is HE doing here?!

In Exo he was one of the more friendly and social members. He was in the music council, and volunteered a lot in many school events. The interesting thing was that there was supposedly no catch to his personality; the people who talked to him said he was pretty comfortable to be around.

The stare he gave me made my stomach twist. It was like the butterflies, only sharper. Almost exhilarating. I shoved the latter emotion as far down as i could, my face begin to flush.

“I um, think she’ll be back soon. She went to the front entrance for towels.” I tried to reach back for my bag, but only felt air. When I took a step, my foot hit the edge of the cot with a distinct thunk.

Oh god, stop talking Lena. But our gazes were locked together, and so long as they were I couldn’t stop the babble, the awkward turtle in me rising exponentially. “I mean she went to check if there were t-towels, the ones she brought there earlier.” I made a little gesture for the one on my head, like an afterthought “For the rain.” He didn’t say a word, and the twist turned into a clench.

He started forward. His strides were long enough that he crossed the room in a couple steps. It struck me how tall he was; I was average height, but near him I was suddenly small. I stepped back out of reflex, my calf hitting the cot a second time. His expression didn’t change, which should have been unnerving. I felt my brows furrow downward, my confusion turning into a glare.

“W-what?” I stuttered out. His eyes were searching, analyzing. For what? And why?

His hands came up to my face. With his fingers he curled the edge of the towel back, then cupped my cheeks. “It’s you.” His voice was quiet, distant. Like his body was here and his mind somewhere else.

I stared, bewildered. The butterflies swarmed my chest, as if they would explode out any second. This close I could see every line and curve of his face and knew he was undeniably handsome, just like all the rumours made him out to be. Honestly I wasn’t exactly surprised about that part anymore. But I still didn’t move, even as the small part of my brain retaining sanity was beginning to scream danger.

He dipped his head so we were eye to eye. My dark brown to his own. And the longer we stood the more his morphed, irises rippling like water across the surface. Brown to gold. “The smell is you.” He said softly, moreso to himself then to me.

I could feel him lifting my chin, angling our faces to be inches apart. His touch felt so gentle, so intimate I felt the trampled exhilaration revive, burst out and make my mind sluggish. It was happening too fast, I couldn’t think of how to move. I managed a small gasp, words of protest desperate to be flung out, and then they didn’t.

His lips closed in on my own.

It was the dream. The eyes, the kiss; all of it was happening again and from someone it shouldn’t have come from.

I couldn’t wake myself. This was actually happening.

“Let go of her Chanyeol!” A voice bellowed. Cold, sharp, and one I instantly recognized as Sehun. The nurse’s door had swung open with a bang, and suddenly I was being wretched back. Instantaneously Chanyeol gripped my arms, effectively locking me in place between the two towering figures. I stared blankly ahead, the seconds ticking slowly by until my head finally caught up with everything.

Oh...my...god.

~~~

Hello love readers~ How’s everyone doing?

I know it’s late but I hope you all had a nice christmas/holiday season (can you tell that this was supposed to be a new years update hahahaha I’m sorry~). BUT to make up for my tardiness I did a triple update! Yay for progress!!! If you liked it please subscribe, comment, or upvote. I wish you all fun times and good health in the 2017 year aaannd until next time!

*Throws confetti and does happy dance*

Bye~