Thirty Two.

My Beautiful Nightmare

The council meeting officially ended at some point past one in the morning. Turning away from the grim mood cast over the auditorium, the council members were set on eating together to celebrate Byeong Ho’s official installment. By default Baekhyun and Suho had to go, then so did Tao as his father had been invited too. Tao made sure to rope in a couple extra members; Kris, Chanyeol, and Chen ended up trailing the elders out the exit. Everyone went down to the main floor, agreeing to eat at the restaurant lounge there. It was past operating hours, but they still filed into a private room, where three tables were already adjoined and set. They sat; the elders were gruff and quiet while they looked at the menus. Mr. Kim called the hostess to start bringing in soju1, and the Exo members remained utterly silent, staring at menus or darting looks at each other, trying not to shift in a way that would make noise.

Nam il put his menu down, and with a very straight face said: “I hope these kids don’t mind eating with us old men.”

“Not at all sir, it’s an honor.” Suho bowed respectfully, the rest simultaneously following. In truth intimidation hung like dead weights over their necks.

“You follow your leader well.” Ki Tae said mildly, or as mild as the man could sound. It earned a few chuckles from his fellow councilmen, but Exo didn’t let out a peep. His gaze swept across their line, and Chanyeol could only remember to blink when the stare landed on him. “Is it his brains or strength that got to you?”

“Uh,” Chanyeol tried to laugh along “I guess his brain? Suho’s the smartest of us.”

“Talent is spread across these boys, I’ve seen it. Wasn’t Tao a gold medalist for a martial arts competition last year?” Mr. Kim spoke with a smile, the only visible one among the elders. Tao accepted the praise with a smile, but his father didn’t crack at the flattery.

“He would’ve gotten the medal two consecutive years if he followed my training regimen.” His voice a low rasp, touched with the slightest accent. “I started him up on it once. He quit half way, saying it was too difficult.”

“As I remember you are a tyrant when it comes to training.” Byeong Ho said, closing his menu. Tao’s father raised a brow.

“That’s not the word I’d use for it.” Mr. Kim poised a hand over his chin. “I went to some of his competitions before he enlisted in the army. I think people used to call him the training demon.”

“Hilarious.” Tao’s father rolled his eyes. No one in Exo could laugh at the joke, the memory of his training schedule still hanging over their heads.

“I think the name is accurate.” Chen finally dared to say. Chanyeol almost nodded his head, but realized the comment was telepathic.

Kris took a sip of his water. “Shut up, he can sense you thinking.”

“He’s not a mind reader Kris.” Suho intervened. Kris wanted to shoot him a look, but just then the man glanced up, catching the Exo leader’s gaze for a couple seconds too long, like he had stripped down his skin and was staring into his soul.

“Tao... your dad may actually try to kill me.”

What the hell? Why?”

“I have no idea.”

“That’s a bit melodramatic. Baekhyun spoke.

“Watch me end up in a body bag and see if you can laugh at me.”

“Okay, for the millionth time he is not out to get you Kris.” Tao cut in, almost exasperated “His expression is set that way.” The waiters came in with the entrees, saving Kris from any more analyzation. He gulped down the rest of his water anyway, and the rest of the pack stared at him weirdly.

“Gentlemen, enjoy.” Mr. Kim said, gesturing to the food. While they ate mild conversation stirred between the councilmen, the Exo members temporarily relieved from scrutiny. It wasn’t until they were nearly finished the meal that the elder Ki Tae looked up.

“I heard there was a commotion at the school.”

“Ah-” Baekhyun managed to say, suddenly very aware of his father next to him. Byeong Ho didn’t turn, but it wasn’t like he wasn’t listening “yes, there was an incident.”

“A little ruckus is normal in school.” Nam il said, setting his knife and fork down. Instantly Baekhyun felt a degree more esteem for the man.

“Because they’re creatures they believe they have tolerance for alcohol.” Tao’s father said after downing a glass. Byeong Ho held out a soju bottle to refill it, then brimmed his own. “It’ll be a cruel lesson in the morning.”

“How the hell do they know? How much do they know?” Baekhyun spoke, voice pitched high in panic.

“Uh, connections?” Chanyeol said. Kris just stared at his empty glass of water, sighing on the inside.

“This is why I didn’t want to come.”

“Yes kids we did hear about what happened at the dance,” Mr. Kim said with a grin, reading their expressions. “I hope no one touched that Fairy Ale.” For a moment they only blinked at him.

“I can’t believe Amara noona called it.” Chen said.

“Of course not sir,” Suho said, this time in more of a mumble.

“Still,” Byeong Ho spoke, leaning on the table and turning towards his son “how’d that escalate to Kai punching the vampire student in the face?” Baekhyun swallowed hard.

“That’s a good question.” Chen mustered. Suho was too busy choking on his water.

“Oh no, don’t say the leader wasn’t aware.” Ki Tae spoke, again, no one could tell if it was with humour or not.

“Well, we do have a lot of members and we were spread out at the time,” Chanyeol said, trying not to stutter at the multiple eyes pinned on him. “It was busy and there was alcohol, n-not that we had any-”

“It was a mistake,” Kris recovered for him “Kai is reflecting, so is Sehun. They’ll take the punishment the disciplinary committee gives them.”

“We aren’t all parents, don’t bring up stuff like this at dinner,” Nam il said to the other elders. “This isn’t like old times, we won’t scold unless it’s necessary.”

“It’s a still sufficient reason,” Ki Tae said wryly “fighting in a school, with human witnesses.” Suho wanted to wince at his tone, that inherent subtle disdain for the ignorant beings all creatures had to work around.

Nam il turned to the old man with an expression that almost made him seem younger. “You wouldn’t say the same thing if you had children, or grandchildren.”

Ki Tae’s frown didn’t lessen. “I’ve cared for yours, I’ve experienced enough.” Nam il remained unruffled, taking a long sip from his glass, then regarded the pack calmly.

“You twelve have been raised in different walks of life, but found each other and made the pact of brothers. Defend, protect, and sustain the bond, that is what we’ve taught you, and I believe you have all listened well. It is nice to see actually, especially as things are so difficult now, but there is no such thing as a time without conflict.” The other councilmen nodded in sound agreement.

“So, there’s a plan to deal with the Ghost, or uh, Ghosts?” Chen asked. After a moment’s consideration Nam il nodded, deciding to share the information.

“Yes. A task force, developed by us and our brother and sister councils.”  

“We will find the group and put them down.” Tao’s father said. “It doesn’t need to worry you all so much.” It was said so calmly, but the boys could sense the underlying extent to his words. Though only used in extreme circumstances, the council had the authority to order the death of its targets, even if it was only after garnering the support of the other creature councils. Maybe they already had put the proposal up and were waiting for a consensus. Sitting with them, Suho felt no more comfortable than he had as an awkward and out of place kid; there was a vast gap between the elders and his pack, in both mindset and power.  

“It’s funny to think you all will be graduated in a few years.” Mr. Kim spoke, almost wistful. “I can’t even call you adults when I’m looking at you.”

“We’ll do our best to improve and catch up.” Kris said with a small smile. The others nodded along.

Nam il considered them almost thoughtfully. “It’ll come with time, just follow and learn from the way of the wolves; keep the secret and order as we and those in the past have.”

“They’ll straighten up more after getting married.” Byeong Ho said. Baekhyun looked at his dad incredulously.

“Startled by females?” Ki Tae said in a gruff. “They’ll never find that attractive.”

“I-I’m not sir,” Baekhyun sputtered. “I can uh, talk to gir- females.”

“When Byeong Ho and Su Bin married, we all ate together.” Mr. Kim said, beaming at the memory. “Ah, Byeong still couldn’t stop turning red every time he looked at her-”

Byeong Ho looked at his plate, his eye twitching. “Enough.”

“Fine, fine.” Mr. Kim turned to the Exo members “But might as well look to the younger ones. Let’s make a toast, for the day the kids invite us to their own wedding parties.”

“Sir,” Suho said in an undertone amidst the chuckles. Mr. Kim nudged him good naturedly.

“Just trying to give you some good luck. It doesn’t hurt.” The table held up their glasses, and so Suho had no choice but to do the same along with Chen, Chanyeol, Kris, and Baekhyun. For the first time that night Baekhyun felt a little knot in his stomach, like when he was a child and had knowingly did something wrong. He had to push it down, smiling while the group let out a chorus of cheers.

 

 

 

“What’s wrong with you?” Yukiko asked in a low voice. With the door of the bedroom shut against her back, the room was a box of still quiet. The little digital clock on the night stand beside the bed blinked at each passing second in vivid, angry red.

3:31 AM...

3:32 AM.

She hated that clock, just like how she hated Hei’s room.

Yukiko glared at the body sitting composed at the work desk. He fit perfectly in the designed calm of the room, poised over his work space, which was entirely covered in sheets and textbooks. It was the perfect image of a diligent student in a diligently cleaned room.

She didn’t have to look around to know all the books were alphabetized on the shelves, the clothes pressed and folded in the drawers, and the hangers all facing one way inside the closet. There was no change; every time she came inside (which was nowhere close to often) it was exactly the same. Every paper on his desk was set exactly next to the other, no corner overlapping. It was perfectly arranged, as if prepared for the entrance of a scrutinizing eye.  

“You should sleep onee-chan.” Her younger brother said.

“Ah, is that concern for me?’ Yukiko placed a hand on her chest, but her face was hard like cold marble. He turned his head, flashing a smile; the wane shadows couldn’t stop his teeth from gleaming.

“Does it flutter?” He asked, noting her gesture. The heart within her skin was still, a cold muscle the size of her fist; she often thought of it as a stone that had been permanently lodged inside her chest. Every being in the world had its heart, but vampires’ were stuck with ones that were eternally still and useless.

“I can help you experience it.” Yukiko crossed the room slowly, purposely ghosting her index finger across the carefully structured order of his desk. His eyes followed the movement, even while his body kept still. With violent precision she stabbed her finger through the thickest textbook on the table, her nail slicing through the hundred-some pages to touch the wooden surface. A soft thunk sounded from contact; it was too fast for him to even try to stir.

“How ferocious.” He remarked, and Yukiko noted with satisfaction how his eyes cleared of some of their humour. “Mother would be disappointed at the lack of composure.”

“She will be incredibly disappointed to hear about the incident at the dance so it doesn’t matter,” Yukiko countered, her voice icily sharp. “She’ll find out Hei. She always does, about everything.”

“I know.” But it wasn’t like he cared.

“Are you trying to give us a bad name?”

“Don’t you mean give you a bad name?” He leaned back in his chair. The action was smooth, without even a creak from the spine of his seat. It irked her.

“Both mean the same thing, to me and to mom.” Yukiko slowly pulled her finger out of the book; a thin trickle of blood dripped down from under the nail, and some of the ebony polished had flaked off the edge. She the blood. “Time and time again you prove to be a disappointment.” The comment earned no response, so she leaned back onto the desk, tapping her bloody finger on the corner. He let her go at it for about a minute before he spoke next.

“What do you want?” He looked at her calmly. Like she was some kind of tedious distraction in the way of his work. It snapped like a twig inside her, crackingly to draw her anger into a burst. She slowly crossed her arms over her chest, waiting for the sparks to fade to ambers before she spoke next. This was the game they always played. Like snapping piranhas they chucked bait out for the other to take. If one snapped the other would be ready to sink their poisoned teeth in. “Wolf’s .” He smirked. Yukiko blinked at the comment.

“Says the vampire who plays with fae, then snaps their wings.” She cocked her head to the side, thinking. “Or however they make a metaphor of their little broken hearts.”  

“Why care so much?” He said, spinning his pencil around his finger. “The human is an obstacle-”

“For me? Unlikely. I never hold the same target twice.” She said. A pearl sized drop of blood finally came off her finger, slowly making its journey down the side drawers. “She’ll lose her grip soon enough.” Hei examined the wrinkly crimson line, his face void of emotion. She imagined inside him the fury rising in fumes, waiting to see a hint of its existence across his eyes, but there was nothing. Somehow, he had gotten better at this little game. It was why they never reached a line to stop; it kept being stretched out farther and farther in front of them, until she couldn’t see it anymore.

“Alright,” She mocked-sighed. “Shall I try the role of concerned big sister?”

Hei said nothing, eyes focusing back to his notes.

“Treaties say humans, dead or alive, are not our blood bags. As roundabout our other methods of getting blood are, they are useful and necessary to keep our existence a secret-”

“I wasn’t going to kill her.”

“Ha,” The short chuckle burst from her. It was the first in a long time that came out so authentic. “If there’s any bloodlust I can sense best it’s yours little brother. Don’t lie to me, it’s pointless.”

“Intentions can change.” He said.

“Really?” Yukiko perked up, swinging one leg over the other. “Regardless you stayed an idiot. What you did, and what I had to do to save you, dragged me down.”

“You’ll be able to claw yourself up, you always do.” He gave a look that could almost be called appraising. “Imagine if people knew the viper inside your sheep’s skin.”

She gave him a smile, placing her bloodied hand on his shoulder. “A false appearance is better than wearing insanity on top of your skin.”

He chuckled under his breath “I expected so much worse from you tonight. Did you already find a way to save yourself?”

“The disciplinary committee is two-thirds creature.” She smiled. “Being expelled will be the smaller issue for you. Of course mom will find a way to punish me for this too, but yours is going to be much worse.” He considered the thought for a while. It struck Yukiko this was the same person that used to shudder at the thought of their mother’s fury. She did too once. Now they waved the impending wrath over each other, numb to any kind of dread. Appearances became more important than that; it was one thing to look stupid in front of family, but it was unacceptable to be that way around anyone else.  

“You should go to your room.” Hei said. Normally she would be happy to trample on such an order, but with a mediocre shrug she got up, making sure to wipe some of the drying blood on the corner of his notes before heading to the door.

“Onee-chan,” He called just as her hand turned the knob. She looked over her shoulder at the boy in the chair, his hands slack between his legs as he stared. It suddenly felt like he was looking through her, right into her dead body. “I don’t really like fae.”

“What?” She asked, instantly irritated at his tangent. Lately, the ones he made weren’t making much sense.

“If you’re done with your wolf days, why not go for a witch.” He smile was a wink of a gleam in the dark. “They’re incredibly entertaining.”

Not as much watching your downward spiral. She thought, but didn’t let the comment come out of her lips. Instead she said: “Wow, you must be so busy,” with a smile so thin and acidic it make him laugh. With a final glare she walked out.

 


 

“I didn’t know you worked here.”

I froze at the voice, half bent over my display table. Brown and Rowling books were in each of my hands, a few other copies left stacked on the top of the international best sellers pile. The titles sat in a box for arrangement next to my feet. It was a Tuesday, my first day back at my part time job, a bookstore I’d been working in casually for the past two summers. I slowly turned around, my face morphing into a dark and disbelieving look I couldn’t stop from forming. Kai didn’t seem all that surprised from my reaction, but an oncoming grimace twisted his greeting smile. How many times could our meetings be called coincidence before they just weren’t?

“Are you sure?” I asked. The other half of the question stayed in my mind: Was it a lucky guess or are you just outright stalking me?

“I just came to get these-” As if to prove the point he held up two paperbacks “but then I saw you.” My gut only half believed him. It was probably right, if that made any sense. I focused back on my work, giving a short and dismissive nod.

“So, how’re you doing these days Lena-ah?” He continued when the silence between us stretched. I could feel his stare on my head, pointed and unconcerned with the awkward air hovering over.

“I’m fine.” I spoke, looking at a novel instead of his face. I couldn’t not respond to him with customers milling between the shelves. The head manager was also in today, and despite being a couple years past seventy and forever seated at the desk across from the cashiers, he managed to hear and see everything in the entire bookstore.

“You’re not hiding your limp from me are you?” Kai pondered aloud.

“No,” I slid a book across the table for emphasis “I don’t even have a limp, it was a light sprain.” So maybe I still had a teeny tiny hobble in my step. It was certainly better then the swollen lump I had for an ankle over the weekend. It had healed surprisingly quickly over the past two days though, enough that I didn’t have to cancel today’s shift.

“Lena-ah.”

“Hm?”

He came a step closer, enough that I could feel the presence of his body close to mine. He was in a thin hoodie and jeans despite the day’s warmth, but it was like heat literally seeped off of him. I couldn’t smell sweat, but it felt like he’d been running. Kai studied my face and something in his eyes shifted, the kingka playboy charm he always wore slipping off into something more serious. I met the look, stamping down the stirr in my gut.

“What did I do?” He asked, simple and honest and genuine sounding.

As usual I didn’t respond quickly, the right words escaping me. I lowered the book in my hands, my fingernails digging into the spine. “I’m still mad at you.”

“I know.” He looked down to them, and I realized my grip had tightened to the point the spine was curving. “Before you split the book let me apologise.”

“I don’t want your apology.” I said stiffly, putting the book down. He leaned to one side, his palm flat on the display top. The simple action angled him over me. Instantly I was an inch smaller in size and composure. “D-don’t stand so close.”

“I wouldn’t have to if you’d look at me.”

Well what if I don’t want to?! I internally hissed. The most I could muster was a glare, then I retreated back into the nearest aisle with some old novels. Of course he followed, tread quiet on the carpet.

“Lena-ah.” I didn’t like how he called my name. It was so familiar sounding, maybe even affectionate. As if this was a lovers’ quarrel. As if we were remotely close to something like that.

“Lena-”

“What?” I finally turned. Kai nearly walked straight into me but halted just in time.

“We need to talk.”

“Not while I’m working please.”

“I could help you out.” I fought the urge scoff at the offer. It was a miracle the head manager hadn’t caught us not talking about books. Such a plan would lead to a scolding in the middle of the store, for the both of us. “What am I supposed to do when you’re avoiding me?” He continued.

“I’m not, it’s only been three days!” I countered. “We didn’t even make plans to meet over the summer.” He couldn’t fight that point, but he made me consider if that were the case. In all honesty, I would’ve probably broken the promise. “Aren’t you in trouble or something?” I switched gears. Seeing the teasing in his eyes cool made me regret it a little.

“I’m on cleaning duty in the gym for the rest of the summer. I get to watch the sports teams practice.”

“Oh,” I said shortly “that .”

“It does.” He agreed, but he didn’t show much of a distaste for it. It was like he was waiting for my reaction.

“At least Hei was caught.” I said after a while. “He needs to be suspended.”

Kai’s brows furrowed. “Who?”

I frowned at his expression. “The guy you punched in the middle of the dance. He’s the one you guys warned me about, isn-.” My words trailed as the aura around him darkened.

“How’d you find out his name, when did he tell you?”

“Did you guys not know? I thought you-”

“Be honest, did you run into him again when we weren’t around?” He grasped my arms, searching my face for the truth.  

“He told me on the day I met him, on the soccer field.” I admitted. It froze him. He didn’t even blink. “I remember what happened. Why he was there-” the last part came out in a softer, shaky breath. I looked down at my arms, imagining the blood that once trickled down from cuts and scratches that couldn’t heal so quickly. “You guys can do more than just those eye tricks huh?”

“I can explain,” but he wouldn’t, not entirely.

“You guys did something,” The lack of scars, it didn’t make sense. No doctor could fix all that in a matter of minutes, let alone high school students “I can’t understand what, but I know you and Sehun saved me from Hei. You protected me.” I met his eyes, dark and smoldering, and wondered for the upteenth time what were the secrets that lay within them. “So, I’ll believe in that. But I want real answers, soon.”

“Not now?” He asked, a poor attempt of a joke. I frowned at him.

“I’m still mad. You lied.”

“I know.” He said. “I’m sorry.” I set the next book down a little more gently, suddenly unwilling to meet his eyes.

“Look, Kai-” I risked a glance down the end of the row, and immediately grimaced at the figure glaring us down “my manager just caught on that we’re not talking about books.” Kai looked confused, and made a move to turn. “Don’t make eye contact with him!” I whispered furiously.

“Okay,” His mouth curved up a tiny bit, a shadow of his usual grin returning. I bit my lips into a hard line, glancing at the box of books by the display.

“It’s fine.” Even if you weren’t here he’d fine something to nit-pick about. I was about to tell him to leave, but suddenly his hand reached up over my eyes, ruffling my hair.

“W-what are you doing?!” I exclaimed, nearly forgetting to keep my voice down. I swatted at his hand, but he pulled it back before I could touch him.

“Nothing terrible.” He said in a mute voice, his mouth curving.

“You’re unbelieveable,” I sputtered. It only made him laugh, a low chuckle that sent a stupid flutter up my chest, shifting my mind onto whole new ground. He leaned away, taking steps backward to the checkout.

“When do you get off?” Kai asked casually.

“Wouldn’t you like t-to know,” I huffed out, wracking my brain for a smart comment or jab to steady my ground. I couldn’t think of anything, and settled for a small mumble: “f-flirt.”

If he caught it, he didn’t counter me. I watched him go, steps long and relaxed between the aisles, but enough to attract the attention of a couple customers as he went. Our next meeting wasn’t planned, but it would be inevitable. He’d see to that.

 

~~~

 

Notes:

1 soju = a type of korean alcohol

 

Remember how I said I would try to update within a month and I kind of didn’t…

Well okay listen here before you judge me, it’s been a month + ten days. If you know my usual updating cycles you know it’s not that bad because I have been so much worse it’s not even funny honestly but I digress.

Okaaaaay so here’s a (hopefully) lovely long update for you lovely readers~

Hope it was enjoyable, hope it made sense, hope the typos and spelling errors don’t bother you as much as they will bother me in the future. If you did like this update of M.B.N please let me know by subscribing, commenting and/or upvoting this story as I would greatly appreciate it :)

You guys are honestly the best for keeping up with this fanfiction, even when I take so long to write it, so thank you^^

Until the next update,

*Throws confetti cause it basically what I do now*

Bye!