Twenty Nine.

My Beautiful Nightmare

“Hm.” Ha ri bit her lips into a severe line, her fist clamped underneath her chin. I stood in front of her, feeling the dull pinch 3-inch heels managed to give to my toes. Attempting a mock curtsy I gave her a sugary grin that said ‘hurry up’. It was ignored.

“Twirl.”

My face pitched into a scowl, but I waddled in a slow circle like she asked. The presentation was fitting for a five year old, but Ha ri would make me do this every time I was in a skirt for the rest of my life.

“You’ve done nothing but stare for the last ten minutes.” I pointed out. “There is literally no part of me or my dress left for you to fluff, dewrinkle, or slab with lotion.” Just at that she leaned up off my bed spread, eyeing the side of my cheek.

“Stay still.” She ordered, holding a foundation brush. I let her dab at my face, crossing my arms over my chest. We’d been at this for nearly an hour, and the time for me to leave for the dance was steadily approaching. I tried to avoid the clock on my night table, but nervous anticipation thrummed inside my chest, forcing my head to turn. I’d been jittery last year too, but not to the point I thought I’d start involuntarily spazzing out limbs.

“Auntie you’ve done the best you can.”

Her concentration didn’t lessen “You make it sound like you’re a lost cause.”

“Well,” I shrugged “a trip up or drink spill could ruin everything you just did-” and make me the laughing stock of the entire school-

“Enough with the negativity.” She plopped back down, fiddling with the waist of my dress. I kept my arms crossed. “I wouldn’t put effort into something that was a waste. And you, Miss. Cutie are not.”

“Gee thanks.”

Ha ri grinned at my sarcasm, rising from the bed. For the entire process she had kept me in my room, covering the mirror on my door with a towel to ‘not spoil the surprise’. I had steeled myself for the inevitable mess this makeover would be, but seeing the aftermath of strewn clothes and makeup supplies made me wonder what I was being turned into. After doing a few more touches to my hair and face she stepped back, giving one final check over.

“Done?”

She scrunched into a little prune, giving me no response. Then she went for the mirror, gripping the towel in her hands. “Tell me if you think so.” She said casually, pulling it away with a graceful flick. For the first couple seconds I could only blink at my reflection.

“Wow.” I lifted a hand to my cheek, then thought better of touching anything. “That’s...wow.”

Ha ri broke into a giddy squeal. “I told you!” She turned my shoulders so I could look at the back and the sides of my dress. “It fits so nicely.” I tried to keep my expression a neutral line, but the corner of my lips started to rise sheepishly.

The dress was ivory and an a-line style, clinching just a hint at the waist. From the bodice up it had two layers; the lace stretching up to the rounded neckline and down my arms as sleeves, and the underneath seashell white satin sewn in with a sweetheart neckline a couple inches shorter. The skirt was also seashell white and billowed out softly to my knees. I could see a shimmery sparkle in it when the light hit.

“Of course it does, I tried it on before buying it.” I mumbled, trying to fiddle with the sleeves. Ha ri slapped my hands down.

“You didn’t even let me see it on you!”

“You’re seeing it now.” I pointed out, flicking my hair down over my shoulders. Ha ri made a face, but patiently pulled the strands back. My hair flowed down in soft curls thanks to her hand with a straightener (but that hadn’t stop her from complaining as to why we didn’t just buy a curling iron). Makeup wise, it was done surprisingly simply, an innocent look to compliment the feminine clothes. There was a pop of color in my lips, brushed in a rosy red, and in my eyes, lined in black kohl. My lashes looked longer too thanks to mascara, and my eyes seemed round and large.

It was the most dressed up I’d been since I was a kid. I actually looked good. Pretty even.

“My impeccable taste in clothing and makeup has once again been reaffirmed.” Ha ri proclaimed, waving her brow pencil like a wand. I chuckled at her boasting, picking up my small purse from the bed and opening the bedroom door.

“You’re picking me up later right?”
“Of course, it’s not like we have a magic pumkin and coach that can bring you home.”

I wrinkled my nose at the joke. “What time will you get me?”

“Is ten okay?” She started rummaging through her bag in the kitchen for her car keys “It’s not like you kids will go until twelve, and there’s no prince charm-” She slowly lifted her head, that maniacal cheshire’s grin growing on her face. I rolled my eyes, snatching my mask - an ivory lace contraption with white satin strands to tie around my head - from the table.

“As you were saying there’s no prince charming.”

“But there’s confession boy!” She practically sung, giggling like a mad woman at the sudden putting of two and two together. I slid on a jacket and swung the front door open, the mild evening breeze stirring across my bare calves.

“I never said he was going to be at the dance.” I said, my voice pitched down and an iron wall against her anticipation. Technically that wasn’t even a lie; kingkas were real, confession boy was not.

“He will.”

“He will not-”

“Shush!” She held out a finger for silence, the other locking our door. “Don’t jinx my premonition!” I sighed, walking towards her car parked across the road. At least the neighbors weren’t outside to hear her craziness.

The entire ride to the venue (yes, not the school. Somehow the student council budgeted enough money for that) Ha ri was a bustle of energy, happily chatting away at how much fun I was going to have. Twice she tried to convince me to ditch my photography club duties, or to at least ‘cut it short’ if I was getting along well with my fellow classmates. In a way she was making sense: pass or fail the history presentations had been done today, and the three of us had managed to put through with something solid in our time crunch. Summer vacation had officially started with the end of today’s classes too, so this was technically the time to destress and have fun.

Though I sat quietly in the passenger seat, my nerves were cackling in sync with her energy. I had to fiddle with my purse, the mask, or start counting buildings otherwise it felt like I was going to burst. A part of my mind was still well and aware of the mysteries I’d experienced the past couple days - namely the kingkas’ secrets and that creepy not-friend - and it casted a layer of anxiety over tonight’s formal. Every time I tried to reason against it the worries would just recoil back into my head, whispering ideas of how things could tumble into disaster. I’d considered mentioning the library incident to Ha ri, but ultimately decided to hold off. Partially because I didn’t want her to be worried, but also because I knew the piece of advice she’d give me: avoid him. Like I wasn’t already trying.

Tonight was going to be big, and it was going to be important, simply because everyone was going to be there. Every single queenka, every single kingka. Being a wallflower with a spotlight over my head made it easier to be noticed, or trampled.

Dear god please don’t let me fall flat on my face or get punch on my dress or be mauled by a minion.

The moment we pulled in both our mouths dropped. Roughly an hour had already gone by since the formal’s official commencement, but the curving drive leading to the entrance doors was filled with a line of cars, people walking out to the swung open doors in nicely cut suits or sequined, flowing dresses.

“We’re at the right place right?” I asked, frowning at my aunt.

“You’re the one who punched in the location.” She fiddled with the little gps stuck to the dashboard, but it only pinged, saying we were some metres to our final destination. “Woow you guys get the cinderella ball, and all I had was a smelly gymnasium that leaked rainwater?” She leaned back in her seat, digesting the view with unconcealed disbelief. “I want a redo.”

I laughed, but it was an agitated sound. The line went through quickly, and soon we were right in front of the building. I opened the car door, juggling my mask and purse as I slid out.

“Careful not to drop anything.” Ha ri called after me.

“Right.” I mumbled. It was a high school dance but everyone was dressed so lavishly, prepared and confident to make their mark on the night. My shred of confidence was starting to crumple being in the midst of them.

Don’t let it show. She’s worked so hard for you tonight.

“Have fun~! Be safe!” Ha ri waved vigorously through the window. More excited for me then I was for myself. “Remember to put on the mask before you go in!” I waved back will a big smile, then hurried up the steps.

Inside, the interior looked like it was cut straight out of a fairytale about castles and midnight balls. For a moment all I could do was stare, my mouth slowly dropping open in a small ‘o’. I counted a line four pillars on each side of the room, making a comfortable wall way divided from the center space designated as a dance floor. Golden hooks were bolted into each pillar, curved into an intricate ‘s’ as they held wide candelabras. Collectively they casted a wane glow to the room. Pale, but mysteriously romantic. Even the marble floor looked amazing, a checkered gold and black design spiraling out from the room’s centre. Between dresses and glossed dancing shoes I could make out the flares of a sun.

A hand caught my arm: “Lena-ah!”

I turned, and my jaw dropped farther as I took in Nana. Her dress ghosted the floor, fitted with a v neckline and double slit ending mid calf. She had white gloves that slid to her elbows, and an emerald jewel glittering on silver chain around .

“You look nice.” She commented, raising her voice to be heard over the pulsing music.

“T-t-thank you!” If I looked nice then she looked gorgeous. The dress was simple, but the style hugged her body perfectly and suited her so well. Her makeup was also well done, but the most surprising thing was her lack of eye wear. Despite her still expression, her eyes had a brightness to them underneath her sheer lace mask. “You look really good too-”

“HELLO!” Jae Hwa boomed, strutting up. He gave us a practice smile, adjusting the skinny tie around his neck. His suit was dark crimson and paired with a white dress shirt and black dress shoes. His copper hair was swept back artfully like coils of flame, still tame as beads of sweat lined his forehead. “Well?” He struck a dramatic pose, then another. It was definitely a handsome outfit for him, but I couldn’t bear to boost his ego any further.

Nana’s scowl spoke of her inability as well. “We’re taking pictures of the others not ourselves.”

“But I look great.” He pouted.

“Maybe we can do a group picture later.” I intervened, trying not to sigh. Night of the year or not, this was still Nana and Jae Hwa. “Have you guys seen the others?” I asked.

“Choon Hee-ah and Ji Hyuk-ah have been doing their rounds of picture taking with me. Dong Sun hasn’t shown up yet.” Nana’s face seemed to pitch darker.

“I found him!” Choon Hee gasped, dragging the 3rd year by the collar with her tiny fist. Ji Hyuk followed just behind them, juggling two cameras with an exhausted look. “He was holed up at the snack table, unsurprisingly.”

“For the record I tried too.” Ji Hyuk spoke, dropping one camera in Jae Hwa’s hands. I took the other, slinging the chain of my purse over my shoulder.

“The good stuff always runs out first!” Dong sun tried to protest. His annoyance simmered out quickly under Nana’s stare.

“Relax,” Jae Hwa put a hand on her shoulder “we’re still making good time!”

If a glare could cause spontaneous combustion Jae Hwa would have been ashes. “You have the next shift -” Nana’s gaze crossed to me “ - and so do you.” Rowdy laughter bubbled over from somewhere nearby, nearly drowned her words. But we didn’t need to hear to know to obey the vice president. “Student council just made their opening speech for the dance so the first shift is done. The second group -” She eyed to me, Jae Hwa, and Dong Sun “- will take over. Once your time’s up come here and I’ll collect and pass on the cameras to our supervising teacher.”

“Get some good shots and have a good time while you do! We’re not getting paid after all.” Jae Hwa yelled, throwing his camera strap over his head. A fitting pep talk coming from our president.

The music suddenly halted, and a voice boomed over the loudspeakers. A high school dance was a high school dance after all, so we had our DJ staged at the end of the dancefloor on a platform. His booth stuck out from the romantic grandeur of the hall as a mess of streamers and crepe fabric in black, gold, and silver. Strobing lights stood atop metal beams, casting lazer lines and scribbles of various colors over the crowd. He topped the sight off, a glittering silver body in his tail coated suit. A jester hat was bent over his head, and he donned a swirling mask that curved over one half of his face.

The shift of the crowd was almost immediate. About two quarters went for the stage, dancing and shrieking along to the music overhead. The remaining were still by the entrance way, caught by the sight of new arrivals.

Like a tidal wave the crowd there suddenly went back, breaking apart, and from their wake strutted in the queenkas. There was no set formation, the girls never grouped together the way Exo did, but they were still a unit. And they made their entrance, heels, masks, flowing gowns and all. Not far behind their tails were the queenka minions, dressed to match in beauty and confidence, but in an indefinable way still a step behind their leaders. The rest of us watched on, an awed hush settling over as they took over the edge of space before the dance floor, a couple metres away from where we stood.

I felt the flash of Jae Hwa’s DSLR go off.

“Look alive.” Dong Sun barked, hitting Ji Hyuk square between the shoulder blades. The boy straightened, but his eyes wouldn’t tear away from the spectacle.

“You have zero chance in that outfit.” Choon Hee bristled, eyeing his sneakers distastefully. Ji Hyuk straightened his tie, paired with a suit jacket and faded black jeans. Comfortable, but terribly underdressed.

“She’s got a point kid,” Jae Hwa leaned an elbow on his shoulder. “What the hell possessed you and forced you to wear that?”

“This is a semi-formal! It’s not supposed to be that fancy!” Ji Hyuk said defensively, but his expression showed he knew he had missed the mark.

“It’s okay young one. You will learn.” Dong sun said, snickering. The first year gave an indignant scoff as he crossed his arms. I mustered a sympathetic look, tying my mask onto my face. This scene wasn’t much of a surprise, neither was what was going to happen next. The onlookers’ berth of space was stretching wider, murmurs rising. Some girls deeper inside the hall dared to edge in, fixing their dresses and readying their best smiles.

The two leaders of Exo walked through, leading the rest of our school’s only kingka group inside. The energy of the room seemed to spike, then overflow over the rest of the school’s population. I could hear sighs of pleasure and impressed gushes pass between the girls. One even faked a swoon to her friends from across the room.

“Isn’t Suho-shii on student counsel? How’s he only coming now?” I asked.

It was Choon Hee’s turn to be star struck. “Oh he was always here, but of course he has to come in with the rest of the group.” She breathed a little airly. Ji Hyuk snickered silently, but stayed clear of her line of sight lest she smack him.

Exo took up the remaining space in front of the dance floor next to the queenkas, simply looking over the scene. Fans nearby wasted no time swooping in. The girls brought their charms and a few gifts to Exo, while a few brave guys even took the chance of walking up to their favorite queenka. It was the night where anything could happen after all, and people were ready to test their luck.

I lifted my camera to my face, focusing in through the lens. I found Lay first, caught in a dimpled smile. He was standing next to Luhan, I think - an extended studies student - and then came Chanyeol, in the middle of a full on chuckle. Trailing down to the other side of the line (and to my surprise) Kai and Sehun were stuck together, their contrasting expressions making it hard not to grin. Kai was in his element, talking and taking selcas with the daring fangirls. Sehun was an iron board, straight faced to a fault.

Choon Hee linked arms with me. A coy little smile stretched her pink lips. “Aren’t you going to say hi?”

“W-what?” I nearly dropped my camera, laughing uneasily under her stare. “I don’t think I can-”

“But you’re friends with them.” Her lips puckered slightly, as if mulling a thought over. “If you’re not comfortable with the crowd I could go with you-”

“So subtle Choon,” Jae Hwa drawled. She gave him a death glare, but when her head snapped back to me her expression was all innocence.

“Come on! You might have a hard time finding them later.” It seemed she was completely ignoring the most intimidating factor here, the pink and mild seeming line of queenkas. I knew the target puffing up her confidence with every glance she stole at him.

I gave her a small, apologetic smile. “I don’t know Suho sunbae, I can’t help you.” As expected, her charming grin dampened a notch.

“You could always try on your own while the queenkas are still at bay-” Jae Hwa suggested slyly.

“Not now.” Nana whipped around, sweeping an arm to the other side of the room. “Those on duty go.” Choon Hee released me with a pout, and I gave her wave farewell before heading into the crowd.

The formal was starting to pick up, the sea of dancers growing larger and more wild. The music ringed deep in my ears and thumped into my chest. Not an unpleasant feeling, but watching instead of joining in on the crazy made it feel almost overwhelming. I went for the walkway, weaving around dancing figures and people caught in laughter, cups clinking. Past experience taught me that after the initial awe wore off, formals tended to lose their charm. It was a social function after all, so not very comfortable for wallflowers, or just quiet ones in general. Sometimes I thought this was the most disappointing part of it all. This was supposed to be the night where anything could happen, but nothing ever did. The kingkas and queenkas reigned and everyone else watched. That was that.

A hand encased my arm, gentle and hot.

“It’s good to see you made it.”

I recognized the voice instantly, a furious rush of tingles tracing up my skin. I looked over my shoulder, finding Sehun’s impenetrable gaze peering through the holes of his metallic black mask. He was impeccably dressed in a navy suit, white dress shirt, and black tie. A ghost of a smile touched his lips. “Lena-ah.”

“Sehun-ah,” I was suddenly breathless “hi.” A couple excited murmurs touched my ears but they felt distant, my heart bursting into double time. The mask played into his eyes, always with a thought or secret, hiking up their deceptive charm.

Nothing ever did seemed to change, until now.

“Did you just get here?” He asked. I shook my head. “How’s picture taking?” He nodded his head to my DSLR.

“Good. Very s-sparkly and sequinted.” I said, cursing my stutter for the upteenth time. Now was not the time to lose my composure.

Breathe Lena, breathe.

“That was some entrance you guys made.”

“I hope that’s a compliment.” I looked at him in confusion, and his face gave me a small, telling grimace. “Some of the organizers made us wait before coming inside for a more dramatic entrance. Suho hyung was dragged out to join too.”

“Oh.” I said, feeling an impulsive urge to giggle. Somehow I didn’t think staging an entrance would stop fangirls from outright gawking when Exo walked in… or did anything really. “I thought you’d be used to these kind of things.”

“It doesn’t mean I like it.” His brows furrowed, looking back to where his friends were standing. “I don’t think many of the guys like it either.” He paused, noticing my face. “That was really conceited sound wasn’t it.”

This time I had to press my lips together. “Maybe a little.”

“So a lot.” His lips twitched, maybe from a chuckle.

“Um, yes?” I laughed. The still-faced kingka-ness in his character had momentarily shed. Funny, considering this situation kind of warranted it.

His smile faded into thoughtfulness, his gaze falling over me.

“Why are you-” looking at me like that?

He took one long step, daring us to be closer. Instinctively I gripped my camera tightly, like a shield. Or just a way to keep my head on straight, a reminder of what I was supposed to do.

“I should probably get to work.”

“Don’t you guys get breaks?” He asked. I detected a hint of teasing underneath his words.

“We’re taking turns, mine’s right now.”

“Can I take three minutes of that time?” I didn’t comprehend him right away. He offered his hand, bowing just so. I could’ve been wrong, but I thought I saw a twinkle in his eyes. “Dance with me.”

“Oh god I can’t. I mean I don’t- I at dancing.” I held my hands up, flustered. That didn’t deter him; he slipped the camera strap off my shoulder, placing it on his own.

“That’s not really convincing.”

“I don’t think you want any examples-” I protested as he started to lead me off the walkway. “I’ll only embarrass you. Really.”

He stopped us near the centre of the ballroom. His eyes narrowed a little, but it was enough to shave the still neutrality of his face. Suddenly he was just charmingly boyish. “If I didn’t know any better I’d think you didn’t want to dance with me.”

“That’s not what I meant-” the dancers here were much more vigorous, jumping around with their arms in the air. I hunched down, wary of being hit. But the music quickly died down, replaced with a slow, soulful romantic melody. There was a brief flurry of activity, couples shyly draping hands over shoulders or waists. Some were brave enough to ask a new face, leaving a few individuals in the arms of their crush or having to rush away in feigned indifference. Friends swung their arms together, content as giggling groups, and the remaining shuffled off the dancefloor. A nervous chuckle escaped my lips as I looked at Sehun, multiple stares no doubt pinning themselves against my back.

“I don’t know about this.”

“It’s dancing.” He said, but his voice was teasing. He took one of my hands into his own, placing his other across my shoulder blades. I rested my hand on his shoulder, focusing my gaze on my fingertips inches from his collar. We were close, a slim width of respectable distance between us, but I could feel the nervous tingles shooting from the crown of my head down to my toes. Out of the corner of my eyes heads were turning, soundless words of gossip rocketing around.

The ice prince dancing with a wallflower? Ha ri would never believe this.

“Relax.” He murmured, noticing how rigid I was. More panic struck me when I thought he was going to try to lead me in an actual waltz, but we simply swayed along to the music. “See? Not so terrible.”

“I guess.” We were probably the most old fashioned in posture, most couples glued together from the shoulders down. “But I think we should try not to jinx ourselves.” I chuckled breathlessly, my heart beat like a humming bird’s.

“Nothing bad’s going to happen.” He ducked his head, and I felt his fingers squeezing my own. “Trust me.” It seemed like the meaning encompassed more than just our dance. Lay hadn’t mentioned what had happened at the library to the guys in front of me, but a hunch of mine had been growing over the week that they all knew. Whatsmore Sehun’s usual detached demeanor had diminished. He was still quiet and relatively kind like usual, but he was more relaxed too. Less of a distant prince and more of a (be it insanely attractive) friend. I didn’t know how to react to him, or how long it would last.

So the only thing I could muster in response was a quiet: “S-sure.”

Deep breaths Lena. DEEP BREATHS.

“Lena.” He murmured.

“Y-yes?”  

But he wouldn’t reply, only staring. The red in my cheeks had to be beyond noticeable now, even with the wane lighting

“What is it Sehun?”

That smile grew on his lips, just a hint. “That.”

“Huh?”

“You said my name, without an honorific.” I blinked slowly in realization, then opened my mouth to correct myself. He beat me to it: “I like it. Don’t change back.”

“B-but-”

“-it’ll be weird when others are around?” He guessed. Slowly I nodded. “Well, what about when it’s just us? We’ll just be Lena and Sehun.”

He inclined his head, searching my face. “Is it a bad idea?” My stomach twisted in a funny way, the butterflies peaking up.

“I...I don’t know. It feels forward.”

“Forward.” He put it like a statement instead of a question.

I ducked my head, feeling my face burn brighter “And intimate.”

“What?” He ducked a little closer, more to tease then to hear.

“It sounds intimate-!” I all but hissed. He laughed quietly as I scowled at his collar.

“But not bad.” He murmured. I could feel his breath tickling my hair “Intimate, but not bad.”

I bit my lip, my blood running hot and cold across my arms. He had to be smiling, I could literally feel the satisfaction emanating from him but he didn’t go further.

At some point his head dipped again. “What do you think about meeting the rest of Exo?”

“H-huh?” That was a sudden leap. “Why?”

“They’re nice, I guess. You’d like them.” I let my gaze fall back to my hand, uneasiness making my face stiff.

“What if…” I bit my lips into a thin line. Sehun peered down with a brow raised.

“Finish.”

“It’s nothing.”

“Lena.” He pressed, but his voice remained gentle. I heaved a sigh.

“They might not l-like me. I’m not exactly good at leaving a nice first impression.”

He blinked down for a couple seconds. Then a grin larger than I’d ever seen before stretched on his face.

“Stop it.” I threatened, giving him a glare. “Don’t laugh at me.”

His eyes gleamed with them regardless. “That’s it?”

“Well, yes!”

“Did you think they’re all judgemental asses?”

“I didn’t say so-” but who says they can’t be! I took a deep breath, willing him with my eyes to knock it off. “They’re just… comfortable with themselves. Confident. Opposites can clash.”  

“True, but we have our flaws too.”

“Of course you do.” I said instinctively. It was only after I realized my words, and blushed.

Sehun took it in stride. “The things people say can really up play Exo, but honestly they barely scratch the surface about us. It’d be better if you just figured it out yourself.” He met my gaze, his eyes earnest. The look surprised me, but my unease wasn’t going to be that easy to shake. The last strings of the song played, and the couples around us drifted apart. I reached for my camera strap on his arm, slipping it over my head.

He let me do so without resistance, that ghost of a smile lifting his lips. I tried to ignore the responsive flutter in my chest. “See you later.”

Oh goodness.

I took even steps towards the platform, not willing to let him see his new mood affect me. Fiddling with the camera’s dial, I swept the area for a good vantage point. Here in the middle everyone faded into momentary flashes of skin, fabric, and color. It was hard to keep track of anyone or anything, bodies moving and grinding in a way that was dizzying to watch. I told myself it was the sounds and sights that made my head was spin and my heart pound thunderously. Suddenly I was collided into from behind.

“Sorry!” The person said, immediately helping me straighten. I turned, habit calling me to bow and apologise as well. Our gazes met, and the kingka named Xiumin drained of expression at the same time I did.  

Oh...oh my god.

Immediately I wanted to turn away, to take back the simple situation that made us face each other. But just a couple seconds of staring, and it was done. His orbs shuddered, like ripples across a sea of brown. He only had to blink once, twice, and the gold claimed them. His eyes blazed, making me forget to take my next breath. They were hauntingly familiar, inherently able to draw in my stare and haze my mind so I wouldn’t have a coherent thought.

No...no. I drew a sharp breath then released it. Forcing my lungs to work, and the gears in my mind to turn.

Was he in shock, or was it pain? I couldn’t tell, his body as rigid as stone. His gaze started to fall, maybe to an indiscriminate point on the hem my dress, and just stayed there. Like he couldn’t bring himself to stare directly ahead, or even move away. Does he recognize what just happened? I thought anxiously. Can he tell his eyes were gold? Any second now someone could turn and notice him like this. This was the wrong place and the wrong time for it to happen; there was nowhere to hide. But leaving him wasn’t an option either.

Against my instincts I lean closer. His gaze momentarily lifted. “We should get out of here.”

 

“Do I know you?” I asked the girl in the white dress. It took a moment for her to understand since my voice was so low, but then a breathless chuckle escaped her, brittle and nervous. Something deep in my chest trembled from the sound of it.

She casted an anxious glance over the crowd, trying to find something. I looked down again, watching her hand hover over the knook of my arm. Unable to hold on, but not willing to leave me alone.

The moment I looked at her, I knew it was her. In a crowd of hundreds of people, I had ran into her.

“Xiumin, where’d you go?” It was Luhan’s voice. A distant part of my mind remembered that we’d gotten separated. I had been looking for someone. Joonmyeon?

“Do you feel alright?” She asked, breaking my train of thought instantly. Instantly, the impulse to say yes surfaced and I wasn’t even sure where it came from. But my chest felt like it was tightening, filling with an intense buzz. It burned across my limbs without even a spark of warm. A fire made of icy flames. My gift, surfacing.

The bass drop crashed over the speakers, bringing the dancers around us to a new high. I tried to take deep, even breaths, pressing a hand to my chest. The girl grasped my arm, fingers curling on the fabric of my sleeve.

“Y-you’re ice cold,” Her voice filled quickly with anxiety. I glanced up, and her face filled my eyes, the strobing lights and wane candelabra candles a momentary frame. For a couple moments, my heart was beating harder than the music overhead.

“Xiumin?”

A couple moments… and that was enough. It was done.

No way in hell was I pulling a stunt like Chanyeol.

 

“I’m fine.” Xiumin said. I didn’t buy it for a second, my fingers getting colder the longer I held onto him. It was like he was slowly turning into a standing icicle. No matter which way I looked the crowd was densely packed, no sign of Kai or Lay or anyone that might be able to help.

Okay. Okay! Don’t panic, if you do then he probably will too and that won’t help!

I gave him my best reassuring look, discreetly pointing towards the balcony. “I think we should go there to sit down.” To my surprise he held me still when I tried to lead him away. A rueful kind of smile was on his downcast face.

“If it’s someplace calmer, people are more likely to notice.” He dared a glance up, his eyes flashing. “I need to stay here.” I wanted to argue, his eyes and icy limbs the perfect evidence against his idea. Someone somewhere had to be looking at us right now. We were the only two people in the swell of the crowd that weren’t dancing, an awkward sore thumb if anything else. But then I could start to feel the cold seeping off him, his skin temperature slowly starting to resemble something normal. In disbelief I pulled back one of his cuffs, pressing three fingers on his bare skin. The contact was mild, almost warm, as if I’d been the one with cold hands this entire time.

I stared up at him, stupefied. “How did you do that?”

His lips stretched in a vague smile, but he was unsurprisingly silent. The blaze of his golden eyes demanded my focus, tempting me off track. What is it with these people?

“I think I should find someone that can help-”

“Please.” The arm I held lifted, grasping me gently. Don’t go. The action said.

“Listen, Xiumin-shii-”

“You know my name.” He said, but it sounded like it was more to himself than to me. The corner of his mouth uplifted in a small, awed kind of smile. “I hope the others weren’t talking about me?”

“No, not at all actually.” I said, caught off guard by the new tangent. “I just knew.” He stared down at his hand holding mine. I could tell his mind was far away, locked within a mess of thoughts I still couldn’t bring myself to try and break into. Every time I met a kingka, they all had this same air to them. Like I’d just placed a problem right in front of them without a solution to solve it.  

“What’s wrong?” I asked hesitantly. His gaze didn’t fit the chaotic mess of a party we were in. It was calm... accepting? Also a bit examining, as if he was curious. “Nothing. I guess a part of me was just happy that you knew.”

I gave a short “Oh.” Whatever dilemma he had been thinking over seemed to have been resolved, or ignored. He was in the present again, and I could feel it through the weight of his stare. “T-that’s good.”

“Your name’s Lena, right?”

“Yeah.” I gave him an unsure look. “Did the other’s m-mention me?”

His lips cautiously upturned. “They did, everybody in the group has an idea of who you are.”

It took a second for that interesting piece of information to sink, and it left my smile a tad uneasy at best. “I had no idea.”  

He tilted his head, analyzing my face. “Lena-ah.” He tested the sound of my name, letting it fall from his mouth. Just a second ago he had been scared stiff, but now it was like the anxiety just evaporated, lost from his rapt attention to the present. To me. The butterflies in my gut were instant.

A nearby dancer swayed too close, brushing against my side. Boxed in, the only place either of us could go was forward, closer. I took baby steps, trying to leave as much of a margin of space I could. Our feet stood flush and his eyes scorched over me, barely concealed by the shadows of the fleeting light. My heart hammered against my rib cage, no matter how many deep breaths I took.  

“I need to go.” He murmured, his expression conflicted. Regretful?

“W-what? But you said it was safer here-”

“I know, it’s just-” He trailed off, shaking his head. “Let’s meet again some time, okay?” Then he retracted his arm, and the burning sensation I felt inside started seeping out to my skin, enveloping my body. I tried to call him back, reaching for his sleeve without thinking. But as quickly as he appeared he fell back into the crowd.

I stared at the place he disappeared, for a couple seconds gaping like a fish. What. Was. That.

That was it, these guys had to be messing with me. And it was working. My heart beat wouldn’t calm down, and my face had to be a tomato underneath my mask. I was hot, confused, worried, and slightly exasperated, all coming from the short half-hour window starting from my arrival at this dance. And this night wasn’t even close to being over yet. I trudged through the crowd, holding my camera in a death grip. A single thought stabbed against my brain with the pulse of a headache.

Damn these pretty boys.

 

~~~

 

 

Hello~ Guess who’s back?

Here we are with the latest update, I hope all you lovelies enjoy it.

If you did please show some love by commenting, subscribing, and upvoting. I’d sincerely appreciate it :).

Aaand until next time *Throws confetti*

Bye!

.