Twenty.

My Beautiful Nightmare

“Lena!” Ri On complained. Speaking in english made his pronunciation pinch particularly with a nasal whine. I shushed him, ruffling his hair in a near noogie. He scrunched his face in annoyance, nearly knocking his head into the man sitting in the next seat.

“Don’t do that.” I half whispered, tugging him back a respectable distance. Partly out of courtesy but also to cover my own accent, even though I would never admit that while my little brother was in earshot.

He gave me the stinky eye, his mouth scrunched up in indignation. “I’m trying not to, you bully!” Ri On looked adorable no matter how mad he got, making it hard not to tease.

I laughed into my hand, giving a wicked smile. “That’s the job of a big sister.”

He huffed and looked away, squeezing the life out of Mr. Whiskers.

Just an hour ago he had nearly plowed me to the ground with a hug, then spent the next ten minutes creating a puddle of salt water and snot on the front of my shirt. Umma and dad managed to help me calm him down and we all piled into a taxi heading for what my dad intended to be a ‘big surprise’. But when claustrophobic traffic and sky high skyscrapers started changing to curving highways and sandy slopes it became easy to guess our destination.

“Aren’t you excited?” I asked, purposely poking his cheek.

“When do we go swimming?” His lips pressed in a serious line.

“I don’t know, but soon. That’s the main point of us going to a resort.” Apparently the big project dad had been working on was this place, and its sister branches in Hawaii, the Caribbean, and Maui. The grand opening had already passed, and as a reward the company residing over construction gave all staff members an all expenses paid reservation to stay at one resort of their choosing. It was valid for a year, but leave it to my family to not even bother waiting until my summer vacation before going.

“Can we go after checking in?” He continued stubbornly. I wrapped an arm around his shoulder, grinning.

“You’re not tired from the plane?”

“No. You’re not either ‘cause you’re acting mean again.”

“This is not being mean.” I poked his cheek again, making the little frown lines on his face deepen “I’m caring for your well-being.”

“Yeah right.” He whispered, sticking his nose up in defiance.

“I heard that.” I said, attacking his hair.  

“You guys ready to go?” A warm voice appeared between us. Ri On shot out from my grasp, running around the bench to hug our dad.

“Yeah! Let’s go swimming!” He cried. Dad smiled, crinkles forming at the corners of his eyes. Time did nothing to change him; he wore the same variety of navy blue business suit and softly worn leather shoes. Maybe a few speckles of grey would creep down his hairline but Umma always attacked them with vengeance.  

Umma took my arm, and we all began walking to the elevators. She gave Ri On a look, one that said hold-your-horses-mister. “No swimming before eating.”

“...fine.” I could hear the sulk in his voice.

“But,” Dad placed emphasis on the syllable “we’ll be able to go after.” The sentence had my brother back to his bubbly self in a split second. “Lena,” I turned at his call, my lips already twisting in a ridiculous grin. Dad’s was worse. “how’s school going?”

“It’s lovely.” I said with mock enthusiasm. Ri On snickered at my pronunciation.

“Don’t laugh, that’s how you sound in korean Ri On-ah.” Umma chimed, giving me a wink.

Ri On was quick to defend himself “No I don’t!”     

“Yes you do-!” Dad swung him up onto his shoulders, chuckling. Together they towered over us like a two headed giant. “Are you to hungry?” He asked. I shook my head. Ri On pointed out a mini bar across the foyer, with floral umbrellas and an ice cream cooler. Arms out he made air plane noises as dad charged them away.

Umma turned to me, a grimace in her smile. With just the two of us the transition to korean was almost instant. “Maybe I raised them funny.”

“They’re 100% unique. You don’t see that in a lot of business-man-soccer-kid duos.” I laughed, using my suite case as an arm stand. They were definitely lively, which fit well with the sunshine and rainbows vibe the resort had. With the amount of children and families milling about they blended right in. “I think we stick out by not being so excited.”

“Let me take a nap first, then I’ll join.” Umma placed her hands on her hips, stretching backward until little cracks sounded from her spine. “Exams are coming up aren’t they?” She asked me.

I hummed in response “After summer break. It’s almost good that I have this ‘vacation’ now.”

“Just do your best Lena-ah, don’t go overboard.”

I gave one big nod “I never have and I never will.” Something between a scoff and a laugh came from umma, and we both ended up in fits of laughter.

“You’re still going to study! Don’t be lazy!” She pinched my sides, making me straighten with a thin squeal. My ultimate weakness was my ticklishness, and umma would never let me forget it.

A couple hours in and I was already unwinding from my strung up thoughts. There was nothing here to remind me of what waited at home, and it wasn’t like I was about to make an effort to remember; this was my break. I could fit into the crowd namelessly and catch up with my family, just how I wanted.

Once we reached our hotel room Ri On voomed to the closest bed. There were two; each a double size, with crisp white sheets and plump white and gold pillows. His chocolate sauce mouth spread into a grin, then he went for the high dive.

“I CALL THIS BED!” Ri On cried mid-air. Dad caught him by the stomach, saving us from a chocolate bed spread.

“Clean first, then dive.” Dad said, plastering a napkin across his son’s face.

“No diving on the bed.” Umma warned, rolling her suitcase across the lush carpet. I took off my shoes, wiggling my toes in the soft material. It was like walking on a flattened cloud.  

“I can dive in the pool.” Ri On countered, then looked to Dad with puppy eyes “Can we go now?”

“Dinner first.” Umma reminded. Dad caught her stare, then was quickly nodding along.

“Dinner first.” He repeated. I giggled a little, dropping onto the mattress. Now with a clean face Ri On quickly followed, face first.

“It smells like lemons.” His voice was a muffle in the sheets, and his hair puffed out like a mushroom. I played with it lightly, trying to make the strands stick straight up.

“We’re probably the first ones to use this room.” I commented. He looked up at me.

“I called this bed. Get off.”

“We can share.”

“I’m sharing with Daddy.”

“I can still be here for now~” I laid back, stretching my arms out as wide as I could. Ri On’s whine were almost instant.

“MOOM-”

Lightning fast she clamped a hand on his mouth. “No yelling in the room.”

“But-”

“No buts. Lena-ah help me unpack.” I sat up at the order, highly aware of my younger brother’s smug look. I made sure to topple him as I got up.

It had Umma shaking her head as I approached “What am I going to do with the two of you?”

“You’ve seen me less, take my side.” I cooed, hugging her until she shook me off.

“Let’s try to keep things fair, hm?” Dad murmured good naturedly, ruffling my hair and kissing umma’s cheek. Even with the romantic gesture her eyes trained on him like a hawk as his steps neared the door.

“And where are you two going now?” She asked.

“To find dinner!” Ri On said, latching onto dad’s hand to pull him out.

“Is there anything you two want?” Dad asked, leaning back against Ri On’s efforts. All he could manage to do was keep his head inside the room. “Chicken? It’s your favorite Lena.”

“When I was twelve, dad.” I responded, pulling out the dress Ha ri made me pack. Bunching it as small as I could I held it behind my back so umma wouldn’t notice its presence.

“Are you saying it isn’t now?” He asked, raising a brow.

“Nope.” I cocked my head to the side, grinning. He smiled and lifted a hand in a wave just before Ri On dragged him out.

“We just got here and I’m already exhausted.” Umma said, staring at the suitcases like they were out to get her.

“Wait till we go swimming,” I chimed. “because hyperactive children and waterslides make everything better.”

“In some ways you’re worse then your brother.” She scoffed, placing a fist to her hip.

“So I’ve been told.” I crossed my arms, mimicking her expression. Her face melted into a smile, and it made me smile too.

 

 

I breathed, moist air soothing my throat. The fog wasn’t ominous; it felt like soft clouds had descended from the sky and were simply floating above the ground. I held my arms out, turning in slow circles. Tendrils of white lingered at my feet, like they were following my every move. It was mesmerizing to watch. I could almost forget the tingles on my arms from the cold.

“Lena.” I turned at the sound of my name. A shadow of a figure had grown from within the fog clouds. I couldn’t tell who it was, not even as they drew close, the white of the mist masked their features away in pale obscurity. A leap of adrenaline went through me at the way he said my name.

Lips appeared first, then I could make out a nose and chin. Faint lines and shadows of hair began to be defined. Dishevelled, and originally silver. In the light it looked almost white.

“Sehun-shii?” I murmured, half in disbelief. Golden eyes stared into me.

“Let’s go.” His mouth was a seductive curve, and it made a tremor of energy go through me a second time. He was in his uniform but the jacket and tie was missing. Something was also missing in his regular demeanor.

A grin was on his lips, but it wasn’t the same as the little gentle smiles I’d caught him slip before. This image instantly made me think of Kai. There was an opaqueness in his eyes, like he was purposely hiding his thoughts from me and found it funny that I was struggling to read them. A twinge of thrill went through me without warning, impulsive and totally inappropriate.

“Where?” I asked “Do you know where we are?” There was nothing around us but the fog. I couldn’t even see our feet walking on the ground. Was I wearing shoes?

“This way.” He took my hand, tugging me forward.

“Where are we going?” I said, not willing to let the silence stretch. It was uncharacteristic of me to be so talkative, just like his forwardness. “Are we lost?” I prodded.

He turned back, and the golden eyes halted any words in my throat. He put a finger to his lips, smiling. “Shh.” The grasp at my hand tightened slightly, but that wasn’t the only place I felt it.

It was flustering to see this Sehun, without reserve or careful actions. Maybe the personality change came with the eyes.

“Where are we?” I heard myself say the words, bewildered and out of breath. His lips only curved up, his eyes crinkling with a smile that felt warm and dark at the same time.

Suddenly arms came around my waist, locking me still.

I started, a funny noise escaping my mouth “Sehun-shii what-”

Lips pressed against my own, erasing any other thought I could have had. My eyes blinked open with shock. Sehun’s were half lidded, watching. This close I could see nearly every detail of his irises, the shifting hues they held and how they melded together in moving color. Like they were alive, hooking into me deeply.

I closed my eyes. His mouth was soft and inviting, persuading me away from any kind of protest. I felt the tiny bite of cold the air gave them, and I could taste sweetness, like honey. His hands travelled up and down the back of my arms, drawing goosebumps across my skin wherever he touched.

“Wait,” I gasped, pulling back. My lips were a hairsbreath away from his own, too close to make any kind of clear minded judgement. “We shouldn’t be doing this.” I couldn’t be. It was me, the wallflower. Reality crashed back down into focus so hard I had to look away, fighting the wave of painful insecurity when it hit.

His hands planted on the sides of my waist. I barely had time to protest before he lifted me into the air, then sat me on something solid. It was a ledge, long and bare, its endings masked by foggy white. Sehun gave me little time to contemplate, standing in between my dangling legs. We were at eye level now; I had nowhere to run.

“Why?” He asked, his eyes revealing nothing I could read. It was almost maddening because I knew my mine did the exact opposite.

“Y-you, you don’t like me.” I wanted to recoil and step away, regain any bit of decency I could.

“I’ve never said that.” His words were a low husk. I flinched, shallow breaths escaping my lips as he kissed the side of my cheek. Butterfly kisses landed gently over my eyes, nose, and ears, each measured and slow. I fought the reflex to shiver.

“You’re patronizing me.” I said through grit teeth, trying to force firmness into my voice.

“Do you think I would do this with anyone,” His lips were against my ear, pressing against the lobe with gentle firmness. Slowly they travelled to the end of my jaw “even someone I didn’t like?” His touch wasn’t all sensual. It was like he was trying to break down the wall I’d built so hastily up, kiss by kiss. It was almost a blessing I was sitting, waves of tingles washing away the strength of my legs.

“I don’t know,” I spoke quickly. There was a part of me being lulled away in pleasure. If I stopped speaking I’d lose indefinitely “why are you doing this?”

He pulled back slowly. “Why you think?” He asked, his eyes holding the darkest intensity, one that made shadows of black linger within their gold. The low and gentle tone of his voice was so different from it; all I could hear gentle assurance. In his expression I could see something calculating and dangerous. Like a predator.

A shallow breath escaped my lips, shaky. “You...like me?”  

The gold of his eyes glittered as his lids slowly slid closed, his face tilted down towards my own. This time I didn’t think to pull away, letting any reason and sanity left in my mind disappear.

 

 

So when I first open my eyes the next morning, bewildered shame was a solid fist in my gut.

A dream?

The amount of hotel pillows around my head was as good of an indication as ever.  

Dad’s snoring was loud and clear, a good sign I hadn’t disturbed anyone. I scanned the room with my eyes, zeroing on the him and the flailed out starfish that was my brother in the other bed. It was almost hilarious, the way he had one leg dangling over the edge and the other slack over our dad’s chest. I craned my neck back, not willing to move an inch lest the bed creaked. Umma was a comparatively light sleeper compared to Ri On-ah and dad, but she too seemed well unconscious, the covers nestled tight underneath her chin as she slept next to me.

So much for a break.

Slowly I placed both hands over my face, my cheeks boiling in red shame. There had to be at least a solid hour before dawn. The stillness of the room was like a weight pressing on my chest, making me want to kick out a leg or punch a pillow to break it.

Did I seriously dream that up? ME? By context it wasn’t even the right guy!

Okay Lena. Get a grip. This is NOT the time for any funny thoughts. Anger can’t just randomly spark attraction.

My heartbeat wouldn’t calm down, its beats remaining steady against my ears. It didn’t help that the golden eyes had made an appearance too, picking at my scab of curiosity. With my lids closed I could see them so clearly, matched with that infuriating smile. It ghosted along from Kai, to Sehun, and even Lay wasn’t that hard to imagine.

Something was wrong with this kind of picture. The thought had been with me ever since the day I’d met Sehun and seen the transition first. I was almost entirely sure that the eye color wasn’t natural. Regardless, the fact I was paying so much attention was definitely going to come back to bite me later. 

 

~~~

 

Well hi lovely readers! How’s it going?

Here’s the latest double update as per usual (and I know it was late, as per usual~).

Please subscribe, comment, and upvote if it made you smile, laugh, or die of Sehun feels^^

Side note one: many of you have been commenting on the progression of Lena’s relationships with the other members; I just wanna say, don’t worry it is coming!

Another side note: somehow in my time gone M.B.N has gotten ten thousand views and three hundred some subscribers. HOW?! WHEN?! WOW YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING *does a victory dance* thank you so so much for giving this fanfic the time of day and I hope you continue to do so (that way someone will actually read these author comments and I’m not just writing for nothing).

Anyways many of you know this drill SO!

Until next time!

*bows 90 degrees, then throws confetti*

Bye!!!!!