One.

My Beautiful Nightmare

 

I used to wonder to myself why the quiet ones were always alone.

Okay so maybe not entirely alone; it's not like they're antisocial and without personality. They have their own circle of friends, but the amount of people in them was always small. Never more than a couple of people. Outside of that, it was like they were distant from others. Not isolated, but so far away from the world around them. Not entirely reachable, and not exactly touchable. When I was little girl I can remember never understanding why things were like that. Why was it that when a person used the least amount of words the life around them suddenly decided to shift away. Continue to move, live, and thrive but then suddenly dim in the presence of that particular person. The quiet one.

It used to bother me, a lot. As years passed and I grew older, going through the same plain routines day by day I still thought about it. I saw the faces of people laugh and smile, frown and darken, tear and cry around me, and wondered what made me so different that I couldn’t interact with them.

If a person didn’t speak the most words in a sentence, or have the loudest voice in a crowd of people, did that mean they thought any less? If anything, I thought they would have the most to say. After all that time keeping to them selves, I thought their minds would have been filled to the brim with words just waiting for someone to stop and hear them.

But then again, maybe it can be better that way. When you spend so much time so quiet, you get to actually hear and see the people around you. Then you see, there’s much less of a chance to be hurt if you're reserved from the world. 

 

 

Loud chattering and conversations floated down the hallways, echoing against each other into one chaotic roar of noise. I followed the tide of the people, keeping my books gripped to my chest and my head slightly tipped downward. Not much, just enough to allow my hair to fall past my shoulders. Even with the lack of space, no one gave me any real notice as I passed through. The last period before lunch break had just ended anyways; many were too excited to be bothered.

Like the majority of people here, I should have begun trying to find my own friends in the crowd. Also like the rest of the populace at this school, I should have made friends by now. It was already a couple months into my second year at this school and I wasn’t about to do either of those things. Not here anyways.

Technically, I guess I could be considered a loner at this point. Not the nicest social status you could get as a high schooler. To be honest if we had to give names, I preferred the term wall flower. It fit better, since I was easily the least noticed person in every possible situation. I’m not totally unknown, and I’m not really disliked by anyone. At least that I know of. Teachers usually remembered my name, though some needed reminders every once in awhile. I got good grades, and was in after school clubs – well just one, photography. The most conversations I have with people outside my family are either in school or my part time job. You can guess neither of them produces much. It wasn’t that people were trying to be mean, or that I hated them; I was just too plain to take interest in. Too formally awkward to be comfortable around, and too distant seeming to try and approach.  

I tucked my chin slightly closer to my chest, watching my worn black converse shoes walk me down the hallway.

I focused on my steps, letting the conversations around me become a lesser focus in the back of my mind. Finally I could get some peaceful time for myself. Though since I was always alone it wouldn’t be much of a difference would it? At least now I could eat.

Mm food–

Abruptly I crashed into a sturdy wall and fell back onto the cool tiled floor, my books scattering from my hands and the shoulder straps of my backpack falling to my elbows. I winced, my face twisting into a frown. Silently, of course.

Well, that hurt.

Strangely, the conversations around me came to an abrupt halt at my clumsy display. The hallway became deathly silent and still and I became rigid at my place on the floor.

What? Have they never seen someone fall before? Jeez what's wrong-?

"You!" A voice shrieked suddenly and I felt a hand pull violently at my hair. "How dare you bump into him?!" The hand at my hair tugged again, this time right at the roots. I clamped down hard on my lips to keep from screaming out right and stared straight down, my heart thundering against my ribcage. Next to my body was a polished pair of red heels.

A queenka. The most well known and influential kind of student this school had. No, it wasn’t that they were all extremely wealthy or had ties with important school leaders. They didn’t need those things. Every girl who held the title was accomplished: whether it was through school, sports, or after school activities they were all incredibly talented and excelled in everything they did. In addition to that, each and every one was supposed to possess incredible beauty and looks. Maybe that sounds a little exaggerated, but here it was the absolute truth. They had the medals, certificates, and hordes of men to prove it. By the school’s and any right-minded person’s standards they were considered the elite. Student council was always at the mercy of their orders; even teachers remained cautious and dealt with them as gingerly as possible. Why?

Not a single one could be mentioned without a warning being added to her name.   

The girl pulled my hair again, forcing my head to follow like a puppet to its strings.

"Oh my goodness, so you’re a deaf one aren’t you?" She mocked and I blinked open my eyes, which quickly rounded with shock. Not because of the queenka. In front of me was not the wall I had anticipated. It was a boy, one that I could recognize almost instantly.

A kingka.

If there was male counterpart to match a queenka, this would be it. The kingkas were equally matched in abilities and popularity. Maybe they could be considered less vicious, but that all depended on which one you were dealing with.   

Oh Sehun glared down at me, a towering figure with his hands shoved in his pockets. He had eleven other friends that formed the sole kingka group at this school, Exo. Not only were they popular here, but other neighboring schools were filled with die hard fans of them. I had seen other kingka groups before, but none were like them. This group, they were powerful. A shot of ice cold fear went through me and I dropped my head down.  “Hey.” My heart fumbled for a split second at the deep voice. His voice.

“Um, hello? Are you listening to him?!” The queenka shrieked, tugging harshly. My head snapped up in response, tears blurring my vision slightly. My gaze went straight up, locking with his accidentally.

His platinum blonde hair shone white in the harsh hallway light and his uniform remained the slightest bit wrinkled from where I bumped into him. His face was really flawless, from his sharp jawline, slim nose, to piercing brown eyes. Even in his angered state he was gorgeous, but also very frightening. His gaze was like ice, so cold and detached it made my body freeze over, unable to move an inch. My heart beat erratically inside my chest, so loud and harsh it thudded against my ears. I couldn’t blink, unable to tear my eyes away from him.

Please don’t be mad, please don’t hurt me.

It was in that moment his eyes began to change. I watched his dull orbs begin to shine, like they were taking in all the light around them. For a moment, his irises looked like they were stretching, gaining flecks of what looked like gold. In a slow vortex the golden color spread rapidly, claiming his irises and making them vivid. It was like they were burning with the color, as if he had a fire within his eyes.

Even with the pain at my head, it was mesmerizing to the point I didn’t want to look away. I couldn't look away, not even for a moment. His gaze was unwavering, suddenly more intense than before. I felt it sinking into my skin, sending tiny shivers throughout my body. It was thawing me out just as soon as it had frozen me. He didn’t say anything, only staring down at me. For a moment, it almost felt like the world around us had faded away. All I could see was him. All I could feel was warmth, like his gaze had something to do with it.

A harsh and unforgiving tug pulled me back to my senses. This time I didn’t anticipate it, and a loud cry escaped my lips.

"Oh my, did that hurt?" The queenka sneered, and she raised my head higher. "A lot is going to hurt when I'm done you little-" out of the corner of my eye I saw her hand rise up over her head. I shut my eyes and tensed, another cry escaping my mouth. A couple gasps was all I heard, then silence. Seconds passed, but I felt nothing. Slowly I opened my eyes, looking up. A hand held the queenka's wrist tightly in its grasp, preventing her from moving. The queenka's eyes widened with surprise and fear at who held her hand back.

"S-Sehun Oppa?" The latter didn’t reply, keeping his grip tight on the girl's wrist. I didn’t dare speak, frozen with shock. The crowd around us still hadn't moved a hair, too keen to watch what would happen next, but also keeping a wide berth in fear for themselves. Sehun closed his eyes, taking a long measured breath. His stotic expression from before was there, but there was a new tightness to his jaw that made my stomach drop. When he opened his eyes again, they were merciless and dulled. The warm honey brown I had seen before was long gone, and instead replaced with a dark brown. The queenka stood stock still, frozen in fear. She shivered slightly, and the grip on my hair lessened slightly.

"Oppa what-”

"Let go." he said slowly and quietly, enunciating deliberately. His voice was a menacing monotone and his body tense, angered. Without a word she released me. The moment she did he dropped her hand and she stumbled back into the sea of people, clutching her wrist to her chest.

For a moment Sehun just watched her, as if making sure she was going to keep her distance. After she hand taken a number of steps away, he turned back to me. I looked down at my books, suddenly feeling very afraid. No one said a word and silence hung thick above our heads. He kneeled down so we were at eye level.

I could feel him looking at me, taking in my shaking hands, teary eyes, and bowed head. I held my breath, too afraid to look up. Apart of me was almost embarrassed. What did he think, seeing me like this? It was more than a little pathetic. He reached out, his pale hand coming into my line of vision. I didn’t move, barely able to breathe. It moved closer, closer, and picked up a fallen textbook at my side. Then, he then took another one that was a few feet away. One by one he grabbed all my fallen books and papers, holding them within his hands. I remained still, my eyes round and unblinking. Sehun didn't move, my things still in his hands.

This couldn’t be right. There had to be something I was missing. My heart began to beat fast, faster than it had before. I could feel him looking at me again. I raised my head slightly, just enough to look squarely at my things. What did he mean by this? What was he going to do with my stuff?

"Those..." I whispered, not sure I could speak. Sehun didn't respond. Instead, he held his hand out, palm up to me. I looked at it bewildered, and looked up to his face.

“Can you stand?”

He wasn’t smiling. His expression was as neutral as it had been as before, but it wasn’t cold. Any hint of hostility had completely vanished. Just a moment ago he had looked so angry, but now it was the opposite. If anything, he seemed…gentle. Despite the situation, I felt my heart fumbling under his stare. I opened my mouth to speak. I wanted to apologize and say thanks; I wanted to ask him why he was helping me, even though I was a little afraid to know the answer. His eyes, they were brown again. Had that been my imagination? Was it just a trick of the light that I had seen them as gold?

Sehun grabbed my arm – gently – helping me up off the floor. Unlike with the queenka, it felt like he was trying to be careful with me. But why would he? Was I just imagining it? I bowed slightly in thanks, taking my books from his hands. He let me do so without protest. I felt my heart accelerating at his gaze and I fought the ridiculous reflex to blush. This was the worst time for it, but it couldn’t stop the warm feeling from spreading across my face.

“Are you, alright?” His voice was soft, lowered so that the crowd wouldn’t hear. Not trusting my own voice I nodded once, then twice. “Are you sure? I mean, your hair got pulled–” His hand came up, hovering slightly over the top of my head. I stared up at it, caught off guard.

“F-fine,” my voiced cracked, too soft to be heard.

“Pardon?” He bent down slightly to hear.

“O-oh I’m fine.” I repeated, silently wishing I could kick myself. His eyes gleamed with a look of relief.

“That’s good.” He said. I looked down at the books in my hands, my cheeks beginning to warm.

You shouldn’t be worrying, I was the one that bumped into you!

Still tentative, I opened my mouth to speak, but was cut off by a new voice.

"What’s going on here?” Another queenka emerged from within the crowd, her face full of annoyance. Unlike the other students who gave us both a wide berth she stalked straight up to Sehun, all the while giving me an incredulous look,. Sehun subtly tensed, and I felt my stomach drop to the floor.

"Nothing!" I blurted, making everyone turn towards me. The second queekna had a peculiar look on her face: a mixture of incredulousness, distaste, and now confusion.

“Nothing?” She spoke half to me, half to Sehun. Once again I felt my voice die within my throat. Great, what do I do?! Without thinking I ran straight through kingka and the queenka, bursting through the crowd and running down the hallway, my books clutched tightly to my chest and my head ducked low.

 

 

~~~

 

 

Hello lovely readers, how are you all? ^^

Well here it is, Chapter ONE!

Please upvote, subscribe, and comment how you feel about the story. It would be much appreciated XD

Okay that’s it for now, until we meet again:

*Throws confetti around cause hahaha I accomplished something*

Bye!