Twenty Six.

My Beautiful Nightmare

The cafe they had chosen was actually nice, open and airy with a simple style. Small booths lined one of the side walls and the front while round tables covered the rest of the space up until the front counter, which held a display for mini cakes, pastries, and sandwiches. The front wall was made of glass, reflecting a view of the street and bustle of people outside. The ceiling stretched up a couple extra metres and had three sky lights, streaming more afternoon sun in.

If you could stop fiddling at the straps at your bag in an attempt to remain distracted (and therefore calm) you might actually be enjoying the place. But you couldn’t, so as the three of you sat at one the round tables two particular thoughts entered your mind:

The smell wafting in from the kitchen was good, more than good, and you wanted a piece of whatever it was they were making.

Then you were questioning your sense of judgement for agreeing to go along with this little ‘study group’.

I had the ENTIRE walk here to talk myself out of this but no. I freaking clammed up like the awkward turtle I aM WHY DO I LET THESE THINGS HAPPEN-

Sehun rose from his chair, saying he was going to order. Your eyes trailed after him as he walked towards the counter. The cashier, who had been idly checking her phone underneath the register, immediately perked up at his approach. Whatever shift you noticed in him earlier was gone now, but the likeness to the dream Sehun had struck you, and it was becoming difficult to not watch his form whenever the chance arose.

Kai drummed his fingers on the table.

You turned away from the counter.

“You look distracted.” Kai mused, crossing his arms.

“I’m not.” The cashier was listing off the specials, her chirpy voice cutting in between the pauses.

“Really?”

Really. You thought with twinge of annoyance.

“Or do you just want to disagree with whatever I say?” He continued, raising a brow.

“No.” Maybe.

“Lair.”

Something between a laugh and scoff escaped your lips at that.

“What is it?” His eyes crinkled. You leaned back in your chair, fiddling with your sleeves. It took you a moment to respond.

“You always... try to read me.” Even as you spoke you could feel it. His stare, his form lounging comfortably in his seat, was direct and watching. Paying you his entire attention. “I can’t figure out why.”

“I’m curious.” He admitted, but his gaze stayed as impenetrable as ever. “I’m just trying to understand.”

“What?”

“You.”

“Why?” You said, unconsciously making a face. It made him laugh, and the action softened him just a little.

“It’s called trying to get to know a person.”

“W-well, you could just ask questions. It’s the considerate way.” You mumbled, towards the windows.

Kai’s signature grin returned. “I’d ask, but you don’t look like the forthcoming type.”

Well...yeah.

“For example,” He gestured behind himself towards the cashier “I’d ask if you were hungry but I have the feeling you’ll say no.”

You decided to ignore the comment: “Aren’t you going to get something?”

“Still deciding. Everything here’s good.”

Soon Sehun reappeared with two drinks in his hands. One looked like an ice coffee, the other some kind of frozen frappe with a swirl of whip cream. Settling in his chair he placed the latter drink in front of you.

“I didn’t know what you wanted so I got the vanilla one.”

The gesture surprised both you and Kai. You started up.

“Y-you didn’t have to-”

“What about me?” Kai blinked at his pack brother. The latter took a slow sip of his drink before responding.

“I’m not paying for you.”

“Why the hell not?” Kai continued to stare.

“The last time I did you said you’d pay me back. Where’s my money?” Sehun gave him the evil eye out of your field of notice “It’s not in my wallet.”

“That’s so cheap-” Kai said aloud.

Sehun turned to you, ignoring the comment “This is to remind him of his debt. Don’t worry about it.”

“A debt?” You echoed. It didn’t feel like a good idea to you to start one.

Kai rolled his eyes. “It was only a couple times.”

“Six times.”

“Sorry for not being specific.”

“If I don’t you might never pay me back.”

“I will!” His tone sounded offended but you couldn’t help but grimace.

This feels almost too fitting for his character. In a way...they kind of remind me of Jae Hwa and Nana.

“You’re not even that stingy with Luhan hyung.” Kai grumbled internally.

“I’m starting to make the effort.” Sehun said stoically.

“With me as the first target? Thanks.”

“Uh, I- um. Thank you.” You said awkwardly, eyes wandering from the menu board, to the window, to an indiscriminate point on the table’s surface. The smell of buttered pastries came in another wave, little hints of espresso or cocoa following here and there. Every breath dug into your empty stomach, until you could feel the beginnings of a growl.

Oh god, don’t let me regret this.

You reached for the straw, ripping the paper wrap off. The cold slush hit your tongue was half melted, but sweet and creamy. For now it would appease the grumbling beast, but now a flutter of nerves was shifting inside your chest.

“What topic did you guys choose?” You asked, striving to stay on track.

“We have a couple of ideas but nothing’s set in stone yet.” Sehun explained

“Wasn’t Mr. Im expecting a plan the class after he announced the project?”

His mouth went into a straight line “Yeah. He doesn’t really have any good expectations of us.”

Not a good outlook, but it didn’t surprise you. Mr. Im probably didn’t have favorites pupils let alone ones that he had decent expectations for.

“I was thinking we could look at ancient greek and roman mythology.” He continued.

You pressed your lips together, thinking. “That’s a pretty wide scope.”

“But it gives us a lot to choose from. Plenty of stories about humans incurring the wrath of gods, enough to scare others to not make the same mistake. They made sacrifices and prayed regularly for divine assistance: Poseidon for safe travels over water, Hera or Hephaestia for childbirth, Athena for victory in war.” Sehun listed off, stirring his drink.  “We could pick a few and go in detail.”

You had read myth stories as a kid, but time had made the details fuzzy. At best you could remember Zeus and Hercules, but the latter was just from the disney movie. “Any in particular you think would be good?” You asked.

Sehun rested the tip of the straw on his bottom lip, giving it some thought “Maybe Apollo. He has the strongest connection to the Oracle at Delphi.”

The name flashed through your memory “The one on the tripod?”  

Sehun nodded “Pythia was her title. People went to her for advice about everything.”

Wow, he’s really thought this through. You were mildly impressed, but academic intelligence was a common thread between popular students.

“Her answers could be kind of crazy; travel, temple building, or serpent slaying.” His nose crinkled. A look of distaste “A complicated way to answer... any question.”  

“That counts as a society mover if anything else.” Kai noted, turning to you. “I was thinking we could look back into Celtic societies and the Druids.”

That was something you’d never heard about “Who are the Druids?” you asked.

“A group in their society thought to have enhanced abilities; prophecy, magic, shape-shifting.”

Sehun was instantly in Kai’s head: “Really?”  

“It’s not like we’re going to give a demonstration. Besides you think the others aren’t going to pick something with similar traits to their own kind?” Kai said smugly. “Druids might fit a bit better with the sorcerer or witch category but we could make it work.”

Oh how Sehun wished to send a blast of wind in Kai’s face, knock him off his chair and out the door. But it would have to wait, maybe until they faced off next in Hagwon.

“Both sound good.” You said. But each was going to take a lot of research to be done well. Sehun and Kai seemed to have a good grasp of things, and it made pressure for you to catch up.

Bells chimed as the door opened, signalling new customers. You caught the cashier straighten for a second time, her voice carrying the enthusiastic chirp.

“Welcome!” Instead of ordering the new arrivals walked into the dining area. Your eyes widened when you caught sight of their faces.

“Sunbae-duel?” Your mouth popped open. Somehow Chanyeol and Lay’s entrance brought little surprise to either Sehun or Kai, the latter only suggesting: “We should move to a booth.”

“You should of sat in one in the first place.” Lay chided, nudging the latter’s shoulder. You looked between them, confused, then inklings of suspicion began to build in your system.

Okay this doesn’t feel so coincidental. Why do I get the feeling they planned this?

You picked up your bag, following them to a booth in the corner of the shop. Kai, Lay and Sehun ended up one side, leaving the latter for you and Chanyeol.  Both of you went to sit first in unison, then shuffled away to let the other go first in unison. It was an awkward hover of politeness, which probably could’ve been overpassed if you both weren’t trying to avoid eye contact.

“One of you sit down.” Kai said, bemusement in his voice.

“After you.” Chanyeol murmured, stepping back. You ducked your head, scooting to the inner side.

“So,” Lay spoke, the new silence stretching “What were you guys talking about?”

“Project ideas for history.” Kai’s gaze flickered to your face “We could probably break for some food though.” At the prospect your stomach gurgled hungrily.

Once at the counter you hung back, meaning to get some time to pick something to eat. You couldn’t ignore the feeling of stares pinning into your back from other patrons. In particular there was a pods of girls sitting a table back, and you caught them whispering amongst themselves out of the corner of your eye. You five were the only high schoolers there, but something told you it wasn’t because of the uniforms.

At least there’s no trampling stampedes of fangirls here.

You had thought you were finally getting better at dealing with stares as you spent time around the kingkas, but when paying you accidentally showed the cashier a coupon voucher instead of your card, and while walking back with your food your ankle hooked with an empty chair and nearly sent you down face first.  

“Are you okay?” Chanyeol asked, stepping next to you.

You plastered a smile on your face “Yep I’m great.”

I have officially reached a new level of awkward clutz today.

Once back at the table you all dug into your food, and conversation lessened. Verbally, that is.

“Does she have a boyfriend?” Chanyeol questioned warily. Sehun nearly spit back his drink.

“If Lena-ah does then we’d technically be ed guys.” Kai said idly.

“Then who was that guy who put his arm around her?”

“A classmate, he’s her club president but that’s about it.”

“How do you know that?” Lay asked, sneaking a glance.

Kai took a bite of his food “How would I not know that, Jung Jae Hwa’s a loud mouth.”

“But you got him on the subject,” Sehun cut in “You asked.”

“You thought they were dating too!” Chanyeol exclaimed.

Kai stopped chewing “I did not. If you’re that suspicious ask her straight up Chanyeol hyung.” Chanyeol instantly sputtered, coughing at the food in his mouth.

“Are you okay sunbae?” You asked, alarmed.

“His soup is probably too hot.” Lay grimaced, sliding the tin of napkins forward. Chanyeol took one, mumbling a thanks. The tips of his ears were bright red.

“I’m not asking her that.”

There was a brief pause.

“Should I ask her?”

“No Kai!” Lay said, exasperated.

Sehun eyed the second oldest warily “You’re not going to set the table on fire right?”

“No. I’m fine now.” Chanyeol said, frowning at his plate. His little burst of heat had surprised everybody that morning. Heat pulses were common for wolves with the gift of fire, when they were young and ill trained. Chanyeol hadn’t felt the involuntary reaction since adolescence. “She’s not hurt right?”

“You only scared her is all. She hasn’t mentioned it since.”

“You scared me too.”

“No one cares Kai.” Sehun snapped, and the latter responded with a loud slurp of his drink.

You bit into the second half of your sandwich. Now being not so starved you took the chance to peek around the table. The line of downcasted brown eyes irked some strange part of you. What had you done to spark the color shift in the first place and why wasn’t it happening now?

After eating the conversation reassumed, surprisingly over the history project. Lay and Chanyeol tried to help out, brainstorming along with the three of you. Staying focused on the topic made talking bearable, and the awkward cloud over you lifted itself a bit. Time went by faster. The next time you checked your phone it came with a stifled gasp.

“It’s late.” A solid hour had went by. There was no way you’d make it home before Ha ri. “I need to get going now.” You apologised, shuffling out from the both.

“See you tomorrow then.” Kai grinned. Sehun waved a hand and Lay smiled. You bowed slightly and headed for the door. The evening breeze was cool as you headed back up the north road, trying to calm the stir of nerves in your gut.

Okay, all in all that wasn’t so bad. I mean it was awkward but better than what I was expecting-

“Excuse me!” Someone called out, Chanyeol. You recognized his low voice before even turning. He caught up easily, but the red in his face made it seem like he’d been running. You recognized the warm color for something else.

“Yes?” You murmured. The nerves came back with a vengeance, tracing across your skin.

“I didn’t get a chance to say this before,” He took a breath, like he was steeling himself “I wanted to uh, a-apologise for the earlier today.”

“Oh um,” the thought of the kiss came tumbling back, smacking you red in the face. For the last bit you had managed to stop thinking about the incident “t-thank you-”

“It was totally uncalled for. I didn’t mean to freak you out or anything!”  He blurted. Discomfort had wrung him through. The thought softened your guard, just a little.

“It’s okay-!” But it still kinda wasn’t “I m-mean mistakes happen.” But it hadn’t looked like a mistake to you. He had taken one look at you then went straight for it. “Uhhh, I have a question!”

His head popped up “Yes?”

“Well,” Rouge bloomed across your cheeks at the fact you were talking about this, but you didn’t stop “w-w-what did you mean when you s-said I smelled?”

“I, what?” He looked half baffled.

“You said I smelled like something… or that I was the source of a smell?” The entirety of the day the comment had hacked at your mind, especially considering the fact you had skipped the last opportunity to wash your blazer.

“That was, uh.” Chanyeol held a hand over his jaw, then started scratching his hair. Confusion was turning into awkwardness, and awkwardness into slight horror “Wh-what I meant was that-, well it wasn’t like you smelled terrible.” His eyes averted from your face, and your cheeks immediately flushed.

Oh my god I smell like B.O. He’s trying to play it off but I must, why the hell would he talk about smell in the first place! Ha ri warned me about this happening but I didn’t listen and now he noticed and is trying to be nice about it-

The string of thoughts were starting to show on your face, and Chanyeol started back tracking “I’m not just saying it’s bad! Really, you actually smell good!” His face burned brighter, and he lost the ability to look you in the eye “N-not that I was intentionally sniffing you out or anything. I mean I just walked in the room and noticed so I said something-”

“I get it.” You halted him, wanting more than anything for the topic to be dropped “Sorry I s-shouldn’t have said anything.” Discomforted silence sagged on you both like dead weights.

A sigh escaped his lips “Can we just start over please?”

“U-uh, yeah. That’s a good idea.” You mumbled, fiddling with your sleeves.

“My name’s Park Chanyeol.” He stuck out a hand, but then it faltered “I said that earlier.”

“Yes, you did.” A little laugh escaped your lips. You caught his hand. “I’m Kim Lena.”

You both shook hands. It struck you how easily his encased your own, how solid and warm it was. You started taking baby steps backwards “I guess I’ll see you t-tomorrow then?”

“That’d be good.” A relieved smile spread across his face, the nervousness momentarily breaking away. He backtracked towards the cafe, eyes still focused on you “At lunch-?” He nearly tripped on some uneven cement, gaining the looks of a few passerbys.

“I guess so.” You said softly, giving him a small smile before you turned. It didn’t leave your face for a little while afterwards, and you realized a part of you, though small, was okay with that.

At least, until you got home.

 

“Where have you been?” Ha ri was at the door as I took off my shoes, arms crossed over her chest. “You didn’t text me either.”

“Sorry auntie, I didn’t think I’d be late.”

The frown of concern didn’t leave her lips “What happened?”

“School project. My group and I needed to figure something out since I’d been gone for so long.” I said, winding my keychain around my fingers.

“Oh. Well tell me next time if you’re staying out. I was worried for a bit there.” She walked by, pinching my cheek (or practically half my face) as she did.

“Ow- Ish dis necishari?” I whined. Ha ri didn’t let go so easy, even when my squeals turned into ugly squawks of pain.

“Hmmm, yep. It is very necessary!” She said over my protests, finally releasing me with a sugary smile. I glared at the back of her head until she disappeared into the bathroom, silently cursing.

“You’ll get frown lines if you keeping looking at me like that.” She called over her shoulder

“Thanks for caring!” I stuck my tongue out at her as the door swung shut.

Besides the hum of the bathroom fan, I was left to the peaceful quiet of our cozy living room. Plopping down on the couch I stared up at the ceiling, listening to the clock tick off the seconds as they passed.

Up until last week I was always in my bubble, a safe distance from people and the crazy that could come from relationships. Being near kingkas was like taking baby steps to the edge, testing the boundary and weighing my options, wondering how far I was going to push. The incidents with the queenkas and the kisses had made me slowly reel back to safety, to being the reserved wallflower I was used to being. A quiet one, ordinary to a fault, and able to fade into my surroundings. But being there wasn’t going to get me answers. The longer I mulled it over the more it was dawning on me that I didn’t want to retreat; I wasn’t through with the kingkas yet.

 

~~~