Lost In Secrets

The Sweetheart Search

“Sehun was trying to make a move,” I shout.  It’s true, in a way.  “I kept fighting him but he kept overcoming me.”

   “So that’s how you’re stealing his heart!  By resisting!”  Hyerin sings and I shake my head in amusement.  I’ve put Sehun in a sticky situation, and I’m proud of myself. 

   He looks at me.  Actually, he glares at me.  He the area between his teeth and squints his eyes so that I can feel how ticked off he is.  

   “I couldn’t help it.  She commanded me by her side.  She secretly wants me.”  He shrugs.

   This is a declaration of war. 

   “I might have told him to sit beside me, but he forced me into his lap.  Told me I was pretty, then caressed my ear.  I guess he’s been waiting for us to be alone for a while.”

   “And she put her hands all over my chest--”

   “Because I was pushing you away!”

   “That’s what they all say,” he cooes.  He’s not giving in, and neither am I.  

   Hyerin is about to faint.  Luhan is just grinning.  They’re getting happy about Sehun and I fighting like this.  Seriously? 

   “Let’s just set things straight,” I sigh.  “Sehun has some hidden desire for me and took advantage of a situation we were in.  End of story.”

   “That’s such a manipulative way of saying it.  What makes you so sure I have feelings for you?  Have you even considered the fact that I might have just been generous to you, because I can sense you like me?”  

   For a second, I almost ask if he can, but that’s ridiculous.  I do not like him, especially right now.  

   “Such generosity is going to bore you and the girls around you,” I snap.

   “Hyerin, let’s sign them up for couples therapy,” Luhan suggests.

   “I agree.  It’s so obvious they like each other, why won’t they just admit it?”  She asks.

   “We don’t!!!”  Sehun and I simultaneously answer, again. 

   Just then, Baekhyun enters the room with a rain poncho and a rather tired expression.  When he sees me, he lights up, but I can tell he’s worried.  

   “Eunji, why are you here?”  He hums as he takes off his poncho.

   “I’m helping Hyerin and Sehun with a project,” I half-truth.  I’m still here for that, technically.  I don’t want to tell him I came over with Sehun, alone; that might make him jealous.  “I didn’t know you were Luhan’s roommate.”  

   I purposely forget to add Sehun’s name to the list of roommates.  He chortles.

   “Really?  We’re all friends, Eunji; that’s why I’m part of the staff for the Sweetheart Search.  You hadn’t figured that out?”  He asks me.  There’s a bit of agitation in his voice.

   I feel guilty.  I am never, ever coming back to this place unless Baekhyun invites me.  I can’t deal with this unsettling atmosphere.  Hyerin and Luhan are obviously staring at Sehun and I like we’ve done something naughty, Sehun won’t stop staring at me, and Baekhyun knows that something is wrong.

   “Can I see your room?”  I direct at Baekhyun.  His eyes widen and he looks back and forth between Sehun and I.  “I’m just...  Curious to see if it’s as cute as you are.” 

   Luhan’s and Hyerin’s happy expressions die completely, vanish in an instant.  Sehun is smiling again and walks over to Luhan.

   “She’s playing hard to get,” he mumbles.  I’m pretty sure Baekhyun can’t hear it, but I definitely do, and it sends chills up my body.  

   “Well, I can’t deny such an appealing request,” Baekhyun chirps.  

   Okay, good.  Crisis avoided.  If I come out of Baekhyun’s room alive, I’m a titan. 

   I follow him down the hallway and turn right, and his room is sort of a surprise-- I should’ve expected it, but I didn’t think he was actually this obsessed with Taeyeon.

   “Can’t help myself,” he gushes.  Blush is all over his face, and I remember the first time I met him and how smooth I thought he was.  In all reality, he’s just a fanboy with a cute personality.  

   “I can’t blame you.  She’s beautiful.”

   “Well, so are you,” he compliments.  I roll my eyes and lightly jab him under the chin.

   “Are you going to put posters of me all over your room now?”  I laugh.  He hugs me and spins me in a circle.

   “If you really want me too~” he melodically announces.  I bet he has a nice voice; every time he pretend-sings it sounds really good.  

   “I want you to sing a Girls‘ Generation song for me.  That’s what I really want,” I request.  He smiles and nods.

   “Which one?      

   “He’s really good at ‘Lost In Love,’” Kai says from behind me.  I smile and give him a high five (he leaves me hanging for a while, but he finally reaches out and slaps his hand against mine.) 

   “I can’t do a serious one!”  He whines, but in a cute way.  

   “Do it.  I dare you,” Kai tells him.  With the mention of the word ‘dare,’ Baekhyun’s attention seems even more alert. 

   “Set up the karaoke machine,” Baekhyun tells him.  “We’ll be out in a minute, and then you’re going down.”

   “I never wanted any part in this,” Kai laughs.

   “I’ll take his place.  You’re going down, Baekhyun, whether you like it or not,” I slam.  I’m a good singer.  I love to sing.  I once thought about auditioning for an Idol show, but the simple life is good enough for me. 

---

 

   Baekhyun has risen to the challenge, that’s for sure.  When I told him I’d bring it on in a karaoke contest, I didn’t know he’d get this into it.  His voice is like the warmth you find in people on Christmas.  Totally unexpected and hidden, yet completely from the heart and embracing.  I feel myself drowning in his honey-trodden voice, and I’m okay with it.  The song is totally depressing and about a couple taking a break (spoiler: the break turns into a complete break-up) but he fills each note with such rich emotion.  When he finishes, we all clap for him-- including Sehun.  Baekhyun turns around and sends me a wink.

   “How was it?”  He asks, as if he doesn’t know the answer.

   “Incredible.  You should record stuff in the media building and put it on YouTube.  You’ll become famous.”

   “Well, if you’re good enough, we can do a duet and then I’ll put it on YouTube.  I’m too scared to go solo.”

   “Let’s just make a band,” Sehun sarcastically teases.  I punch him and stand up.

   “I’ll consider it, but I don’t want the internet to be aware of my pure talent,” I joke. 

   But it’s not a joke, really.  I scroll through the options on the CD and pick the one I’m going to sing.

   “IU?  You’re crazy.  You have to have stage vocals to cover her,” Sehun scoffs.  “Eunji, why do you think you can do anything?”

   “I know I can,” I snap.

   “And I believe in you,” Baekhyun encourages.  That’s all I need.

   I don’t choose ‘Good Day‘ because I’m not in the mood to do the high notes at the end.  I choose ‘Secret,‘ one of her lesser known songs but one of her best, in my opinion.  

   This song embodies my ideal kind of innocence and love.  She’s cutely writing her stubborn crush a love letter, and her feelings keep pouring out and she keeps talking about how much she wants to let this secret out.  

   I handle the ending rather well.      

   

   

Your heart is coming to me
    Again today, I memorize it into my dream
    I’m listening to my heart
    The sincere wind is filling up the entire room
    Filling it and flowing out, flowing  out

    I have a lot of secrets now
            -IU, “Secret” 

 I turn around a flash a peace sign, Baekhyun-esque and all.  No one is clapping like they did for Baekhyun.  

   Oh no.
   I’m not one of those people who thinks they’re better than they actually are, am I?
   “Eunji...”  Hyerin sighs.  “How?”
   “How what?”
   Baekhyun walks up to me and hugs me.  He gives me a kiss on the cheek (was it really necessary to do it in front of everyone?)  and faces Sehun.
   “Are you satisfied, Sehun?  She can do anything.  She’s the most amazing girl I’ve ever met, and I’m not going to let you steal her with the Sweetheart Search.”
   Sehun actually looks sad.  And pissed.  Piss-sad is how he looks.  Why would he care?  We’re just friends, anyway.  Sehun doesn’t argue; he looks defeated.  He gets up from his chair and heads toward his room.  Before he walks past Baekhyun and I, I step out of Baekhyun’s arms.
   “I’m not a possession,” is all I say.  Sehun listens, and I’m glad.  I did this for him/Luhan.  Luhan’s been sending me looks ever since Baekhyun got here.
   Why should I care about what Sehun thinks?
   Because.  Because he’s my friend.  And if he was really ‘being generous’ earlier, I’m going to do the same for him (even if there’s a 99% chance I’m misreading him.)
   I make sure Sehun closes his door before I turn to Baekhyun. 
   “Sorry, this atmosphere is just weird.  I don’t know what people want from me, and I don’t know what you want from me, and I don’t even know what I want.  So...  So I think I’m just going back to my own dorm, rain or shine,” I explain.  He nods and ruffles my hair.
   “That’s fine.  Let me drive you back, though.  That way you won’t get soaked,” he insists.  Honestly, I’d rather walk, but I’m scared of walking across campus alone.  I accept his offer and follow him to his car.  When we get back to my residence hall, I grab his hand and give it a squeeze.
   “You know that...  Luhan and Hyerin want Sehun and I together,” I sigh.
   “I know.”
   “And you’re okay?”
   “As long as I’m the one you actually like,” he assures.  I smile, and I kiss him.  Not on the lips, but on the cheek. 
   “Thanks for the ride,” I tell him.
   “I’d give you a ride every day if it meant I could have another one of those,” he teases.  I grin, get out of the car, walk in and wave from the door window. 
   That’s it.  I’m not playing this game anymore.  I’m going to have a long talk with Hyerin and tell her I’m sorry for not liking Sehun, and I’m going to talk to Sehun about making amends and seeing if we can help each other out.
   From the way I see it, we need each other.  I need him to get me closer to Baekhyun, and he needs me to help him open his heart... Or get over himself.  Either one. 

 

a/n: early morning post to celebrate 4 new subscribers over night!  thanks guys!!!