Liar

The Sweetheart Search

  I make Sehun put me down a few yards away from the VC. 

   "I don't want Eunsang to see you carrying me," I explain. 

   "She's going to see that we're both soaking wet, and if she watches the episode she'll know all about our romantic evening." 

   "That was not romantic, " I laugh. "Case in point:" I twist up my dress and squeeze, and a small stream of water drips from it. 

   "True. It was... Clumsy. But fun."

   "Indeed." I look at him and smooth the imaginary mustache I think of every time I say "Indeed." He smirks and gives my shoulder a light shove. 

   "Eunsang is a nice girl. And she's pretty." 

   "Do you like her?" I ask eagerly. He shoots me a glare and shakes his head.  

   "Not romantically. But who knows what will happen? By the end of this thing, I might really want to date her," he says quietly and walks into the VC. 

   What? 

   He can't just say things like that and walk away from the conversation. I know we've reached the lobby, but he can't just tell me that and expect me to not ask questions immediately. 

   Everyone is staring at us, of course. Luhan is smiling from ear to ear; I've never seen him show so many teeth. Hyerin is beside him and looks equally enthused. For once,  I'm genuinely thankful for Hyerin being my roommate. She's quirky and fun. She can be self centered, but can't we all? 

   Eunsang marches forward and grabs my wrist. The look on her face is all I have to see to wish I'd never listened to Luhan. She pulls me to the porch, where we were sitting earlier, and crosses her arms. Her eyes look like they're about to throw daggers at me.   

   "Eunsang, I--"

   "We watched everything. From the walk over to the piggy back ride," she snaps. 

   "What?" 

   "Luhan gathered us all around and was like, 'ladies,  this is how to have a date with Sehun. I don't know what Eunji will do, but I'm sure she'll soften him up.' And you did. Were you thinking of me at all?"

   "Yes!  Eunsang, he's not interested in me. I'm not interested in him. We've talked about it!" I start to tear up. I can understand why she's upset, but she should trust that I really have no intention of dating Sehun. 

   "You're a liar. How could you talk to him? You're always picking little fights with him on this stupid show." 

   Can we just talk about how everything she just said contradicts? She thinks I'm seducing Sehun, then she thinks I'm nagging him. I'm not going to listen to an argument that doesn't have logic. 

   And I am not going to be called a liar. 

   "You wanna know how we talked about it, Eunsang?  I'm helping him with a project for the next two weeks, and we've actually decided to become friends. What do you think about that?" I sob, but I keep my posture strong. I can tell I've hurt her; tears are finally starting to well up in her eyes. 

   "Liar," she says under her breath. She huffs and looks down, then looks back up. 

   Then, she slaps my cheek. I look at her in disbelief. We're best friends. We came to the same college to stick together. Does she want to call it quits? 

   Her eyes widen and start staring at something behind me. I turn and see who it is, and I'm afraid Eunsang has ruined everything for herself. 

   Sehun is leaning in the doorway, arms crossed and chin up high. One eyebrow is raised, and his posture makes it obvious that he's judging. He steps over to me and puts an arm around my shoulders. 

   "You know how I told you Eunsang was cute? When we walked in the door?" He asks me. I look at her and nod. There's as much fear in her eyes as there is pity in mine. "Yes? Well, I retract that statement," he slams. 

   Eunsang is broken. 

   Sehun turns me to face him and cups my face with his right hand. He rubs his thumb over my left cheek and sighs. 

   "You'll have a red mark for a few minutes. I can't believe she slapped you, but I'm here now, okay? Let's go get some ice." He takes my hand and leads me away from Eunsang. 

   I know he's only being this sweet because she's watching. When we get to the kitchen, he lets me press the ice on my face. 

   "Sehun..." 

   "You didn't tell me she was crazy, Eunji," he laughs as if it's nothing. It isn't nothing. "Does it hurt?" 

   I assume he's asking about my face, but I nod because my heart hurts. I don't say anything; if I do, I'll cry. I'm already building up tears-- if one more is developed my eyes will burst. 

   Sehun takes my hand away from my face. I try to look up at him and see what he's doing, but before I figure it out, he's hugging me. 

   "You can cry," he tells me. 

   And I do. I cry a lot.  Our bodies are both wet and cold, and my tears are like little trickles of warmth.  Sehun my head but doesn't say anything. It's better this way. Luhan, Kai and Hyerin are searching for us, and when they find us they join in and we make a group hug. We tell them everything.

   “Eunji, do you want us to cut her out of the competition?”  Hyerin asks me.  At first, I really want to say yes.  I don’t want to see Eunsang again.  I’m too hurt, and I know that she is, too.  

   If I say yes, though, that would prove that I’m just as childish as she is about this whole Sweetheart Search thing.

   “No,” I firmly answer.

   “But Eunji, keeping her in might make it really hard for you,” Luhan cooes, and I want to give in so badly.  I don’t.  

   “Letting her stay would prove I’ve got a level head about this.  It’s about being the bigger person.”

    “What’s the point of keeping her here if we both know I won’t like her?”  Sehun questions, and I don’t know. 

   “Just...  Not this round.  Viewers would think I had a say in judging, and they’d probably predetermine my win.  Not saying I will win, I’m just saying it wouldn’t look good.  And Sehun, are there any girls you like in this?”

   “None of them are bad looking,” he shrugs.  I roll my eyes and turn to Kai.

   “Kai, what do you think?”

   “I think that Eunji’s right,” he comments.  Everyone looks at him and expects an explanation.  “It would help Eunji’s image out a lot, and Eunsang would probably rip open from guilt.  Let the girl stay, and cut the one we were planning on.”

   “Are you sure?”  Hyerin wonders aloud.  Luhan places his hand on her shoulder and nods.  

   “Let’s just stick to our original plan,” he tells her.  “Okay.  Don’t worry, Eunji.  Eunsang is safe this round.”

   “Thank you,” I mumble.  I smile down at the ground and poke Sehun.  “And thank you for consoling me.”

   “I was helping you out as a friend,” he complains and flicks my finger away every time I poke him.  The other three are all whispering about us, and I’m sure they think Sehun and I are romantically linked, and for a minute I deal with it.  I had a good time with him today, and I’m not going to complain about being coupled up with him anymore-- at least, not to his face.  He deserves better.  

 

---

 

    Me:  Can we talk?

 

    Baekhyun:  Uh oh...  That’s never a good way to start a conversation.  Is     everything ok?

 

    Me:  Yeah, everything is fine with us haha.  I got in a fight with Eunsang,     though.

 

    Baekhyun:  Was she jealous that you looked so pretty? (-.0)/ 

 

    Me: No, she’s scared that I’m trying to steal Sehun away from her.

 

    Baekhyun:  You wouldn’t do that.  You have me!  \(^o^)/ 

 

   I smile at my phone and roll over onto my stomach.

 

    Me:  I know!  So...  I’m in need of some comfort and friendship and stuff.      Can     we hang out tomorrow night?

 

    Baekhyun:  I have to babysit tomorrow night.  Coffee at noon?  I don’t have     my third class until 2.

 

    Me:  Sounds good.  Mine starts at 1:30 ^^ We can just hang out in the soft     area and watch TV until then.    

 

    Baekhyun:  Excellent.  They always have the most intriguing soap operas     playing in the soft area. 

 

   Oh, Baekhyun.  You’re as sweet as can be.  

 

---

 

   “You like caramel frappucinos, right?”  Baekhyun asks me as I walk through the doors of the café.  He’s holding two cups, so I’m assuming he went ahead and bought the drinks. 

   “I prefer mocha, but caramel will do,” I tease.  

   The soft area is crowded, which sort of makes me thankful.  I can tell Baekhyun anything I want to and no one will be around to hear it.  

   We sit down, and I’m automatically nervous.  I am so.  Close.  To Baekhyun.  He’s wearing cologne today and it smells like Christmas trees.  Oh, Baekhyun, I don’t care if Halloween hasn’t already passed; you can smell like a Christmas tree all year long if you’d like.

   “This is a smaller love seat than usual,” he laughs and takes a sip of his coffee.  “Whoa, that’s hot.  I gulped too much,” he croaks and reaches for my frappucino.  He takes a long, hard gulp of my drink and hands it back to me with a smile.

   “Mmmm, so that’s what Eunji tastes like?”  He chirps.  Blush fills my cheeks and I can’t look at him.

   “No.  I taste plain.”

   “Like water?”

   “Yes.”

   “I like water,” he hums, and I turn away from him even more.  He throws an arm around my shoulder and scoots closer to me.  Finally, I turn to confront him.

   Our noses brush.

   Our faces are dangerously close.

   I try to pull away, but Baekhyun grips the back of my head with his hand and I’m forced to stay there or have my hair ripped out.  

   “I want to know what it’s like,” he whispers.  

   “There are other people--”

   “I’m going to take your first kiss, okay?”  He cooes.  My eyes widen and shut rapidly.  They lock up and squeeze.  Baekhyun rubs his nose against mine, and I can feel his breath hit my face.  He pulls back and I look up to see he’s just watching TV.  “I’ll wait for a more romantic time, though.”  He grins and takes a sip of his coffee as if it was what he was made to do.  

   “Are you... Kidding me?”  I ask.  How could he just do that, and not have a problem with it?  I’m dying of embarrassment.  How much longer do I have to sit by him?  Talk to him?  All of the blood in my body is rushing to my cheeks and I might die, because it’s definitely not leaving my face to circulate around my body.  Nope.  Nuh uh.

   “I just thought it’d be a nice gesture,” he explains and tilts his head.  “So tell me more about you and Eunsang.” 

   I tell him, and it’s the greatest relief I’ve had since the event occurred.  Other than Sehun letting me cry on him.  That was nice.  Anyway, as long as Baekhyun is around, and as long as he lets me confide in him, I think I’ll be okay without Eunsang.  

   As much as I’m crushing on Baekhyun, there’s something different about today.  If it hadn’t been for the nose rubbing and the teasing, I wouldn’t have felt as anxious as I usually do.  Am I stopping myself from liking boys because Eunsang told me not to like Sehun?

   ...is Sehun causing me to feel this way?

   Yeah right.  Baekhyun has been nice to me from the start, and he’s shown an interest in me since day one.  I shouldn’t even pretend that I’m interested in Sehun; it’s probably just a vengeful thought popping up in my head because I’m still mad at Eunsang.   

a/n: i made a poster for this story but idk how to upload it haaaaaaa help me please ^^