The Jerk, The Coffee, and The Penny Pincher

The Sweetheart Search

Years from now I’ll be able to laugh about how epically I failed to make it through the first round.  His eyes wake up for the first time and he shakes his head no.  I’ve already screwed up so far, so why not just take his plate?  I take his plate and finish off the chicken he had nibbled on and the rice he had left over.  I don’t speak to him, he doesn’t speak to me.  He just continues to stare.  I take a gulp of his water and wipe my mouth with my arm.  “I’m sorry; I hope you don’t think we just indirectly kissed or something,” I apologize. “It just...  I’m really hungry and it looks like they aren’t bringing me any food.” 

   Just like that, a smile breaks on his lips and he laughs.  

   “Is this for real?  Like, you’re not acting?” 

   “Why would I be acting?”

   “Oh, come on,” he chuckles.  “You’re wearing a red tracksuit and eating my food.  How scripted is that?”

   I grin and flip my ponytail around.

   “I even have the ponytail to match!”

   “Exactly!”

   “Too bad this is just who I am,” I shyly admit.  “I didn’t know what to expect, so how would I know how to dress?”  

    “I--”

   “Yes, yes; I know you applaud my coolness.  I’m a cool girl, yes indeed.  Anyways, if you could quickly tell me how I should dress next time, I’d appreciate it.  And according to my clock you have fifteen seconds so youshouldtalkreallyfast.”

   For five seconds he stares at me with a smile.  Then, he speaks.

   “You won’t be here next time,” he answers.

   “I’ll remember that when we shoot the next episode,” I smile, stand up, and march out.   

   Now I understand why Luhan and Kai are doing this for Sehun: he’s sort of  a jerk, and he needs to find someone who can fix him.  That girl definitely won’t be me, but I don’t mind pretending like it is for a few weeks and some cash.  

   The first thing I see as I step out of the tent is a mopey Eunsang.  She stares at me with guilt written all over her face, and I simply step toward her before she scurries off to the bathroom.  I’m really not that mad at her; I just want to know why she thought it was okay for her to do this thing and not me.  

   Someone wraps their arms around me from behind, picks me up, and swirls me.  I scream and try to wriggle away, but this person is too strong.  To my surprise, it’s Luhan. 

   “You made a lovely debut,” he winks.  I smile and snake my hand to the back of my neck in awkwardness.  “Just being myself, Lulu.”

   “Oh no.  Don’t tell me that Hyerin told you--”

   “That’s her pet name for you,” I laugh.  “I think it’s rather cute.  Tell me, Lulu; do you have any pet names for her?”

   “No,” he sighs.  “Pet names are stupid.”

   “You should totally call her Hye-Bay-bay, that way I can burst into song and sing ‘Hye baybay Hye baybay Hye’ whenever you do it.  You know that you guys are my OTP?”

   “What’s an OTP?”

   “One true pairing.  I ship you.  I believe in your love.  It will happen!”  I declare at the top of my lungs.  Luhan places his hand on my mouth and shushes me. 

   “Okay, okay, but keep that to yourself.  Sheesh,” he whispers.  “Eunji, it’s been good; I have to go socialize with other contestants.  I’ll see you in ten at the cut announcements.”

   “Sounds good,” I say and push him away.  Luhan is such a nice guy; I wish I could be better friends with him.  That pick-up-and-swirl thing was kind of unexpected, though.  Maybe our friendship is closer than I think it is.  

    I make my way to the bathroom.  Eunsang can’t avoid me forever.  I push open the door and walk inside, only to see her staring sadly into the mirror.  

   “I guess we have to talk,” she sighs.  I cross my arms and lean against the wall.

   “I’m not mad.  I just want to know why you got mad at me when I decided to do this.”

   She rakes her hands through her hair and gives me a glance.

   “I should’ve told you earlier.”

   “Told me what?”  I ask.  

   “I...  I like Sehun,” she mumbles, but I can hear her.  Guilt builds up inside of me and suffocates me.  At the same time, I laugh.

   “I’m so sorry Eunsang, but honestly, you don’t have anything to worry about,” I sheepishly laugh.  “We both know I’m just in it for the money.” 

   “But I’m so scared, Eunji.” She starts to tear up.  “Boys like you.  They don’t like me.”

   “I don’t know where you heard that from.  I haven’t even had my first kiss yet, and how many have you had?”  I tease.  “You’ve got this.  Just believe in yourself,” I encourage.  She nods and steps towards me.  “Can I have a hug?”  She nods again and hugs me.

   “Thanks, Eunji.  I’m sorry I got so emotional.”

   “It’s okay,” I assure.  I step back and give her a warm smile.  “So tell me, what do you find interesting about this Oh Sehun?  He’s not much of a charmer to me,” I giggle, and she laughs along. 

 

 

---

 

   “Ladies, gather around!”  Hyerin shouts.  She has climbed on top of a chair to tower over everyone.  “Welcome our lucky bachelor, Sehun!”  

   Sehun walks in with a smug grin on his face.  I roll my eyes and shift my weight onto one hip, hoping that my sassiness shows.  

   “I had a good evening with every single one of you,” he says.  Liar.  You made a girl cry.  “However, one of you goes home tonight.  Be sure to pick up your money from Kai,” he smirks, and girls laugh at him.  

   “I will,” I yell.  It’s obviously me getting cut.  Eunsang gently slaps my arm, but I can tell she’s happy to know I am not interested in this boy.  Sehun sighs and makes a couple steps towards me.  

   “Unfortunately, I’m not the one making the cuts,” he smoothly says.  

   “What’s that supposed to mean?”  I retort.  We stare at each other, cameras filming our every blink, until Luhan pulls him away.  

   “Let’s just announce who’s leaving,” Luhan suggests and makes his way back to Hyerin (while pulling Sehun away from me, who hasn’t stopped glaring at me.)  “Ladies, thank you for a wonderful opening.  It’ll be sad to send one of you away so soon, but please be happy that you had the opportunity to participate in such a wonderful way to raise awareness of our school.  Kai, would you like to make the announcement?”  

   “No,” Kai awkwardly laughs, “but since you’ve nominated me to...  Well, my fellow judges and I have decided that we are going to cut Sojin,” he announces.  The tall girl that was crying leaves the room in tears.  Meanwhile, I stare at Sehun in disbelief.  

   “Trust me, if I had anything to do with it, you’d be out,” he says over everyone’s whispering chatters.  He puts his jacket on and leaves.

   “I’d like to say I’d welcome that judgement, but I don’t welcome anything from you,” I shout.  Sehun ignores me and continues on his way.  “Jerk.”

   “Eunji calm down,” Eunsang says.  “You don’t like him anyway, remember?”

   “I’m developing a strong dislike of him, to say the least.”

   “Sounds good to me,” the checklist guy jokes.  He comes over to where Eunsang and I are standing.  “Kidding, kidding.  Miss Eunji, I’m glad you weren’t as mean to me as you are to Sehun.”

   “Who are you?”  Eunsang asks, thoroughly confused.  I realize I don’t know this guy’s name, either.

  “Baekhyun,  Byun Baekhyun.  Nice to meet you... miss?”

   “Eunsang,” she greets.  She looks at me and gives me a wink.  “Well, I’ll let you two do your own thing.”

   “Eunsang what are you--” I begin to ask, but she has already skipped off.  That little stinker.

   “Our own thing, eh?”  Baekhyun laughs.  “Why does everyone think I’m such a creeper?  I haven’t hit on anybody today,” he sighs.  I blush and tuck my hair behind my ear.  So he wasn’t hitting on me earlier.  He gives me a light shove.  “Want some coffee?  There’s no way I’m going to use all of my food money without some help.”

   “Sure,” I admit.  We turn on our heels and head toward the local cafe.  

 

---

 

   “So you’re doing this all for the money?”  Baekhyun questions for the third time.  It seems to really amuse him.

   “Yes!”  I semi-shout.  “I’ll do almost anything.”  

   “You’re something special,” he laughs.  “Penny-pincher to the max.”

   “That’s right.  I let you buy my mocha, didn’t I?”  I joke and he smiles.  

   This Baekhyun boy is too cute to be true.  His eyes smile.  His smile smiles brightly, and it’s beautiful.  His hair is so soft and touchable looking.  Everything about him screams “adorable.”  And then...

   There’s me.  Well, I have my ups and my downs, as does everyone.  But I’m not very cute, in action or appearance.  I don’t know why this guy keeps flirting with me, although he insists he isn’t.

   “Eunji-ah?”  I hear Baekhyun call.  I look up at him.  “What are you thinking about?  How devilishly handsome I am?”  

   “N...No!”  I yell.  I’ve yelled a lot today.  My blush gives me away and I quickly finish up my mocha.  “I was thinking about...  About how much friendship you’ve given me since we met, like, two hours ago.”

   He sighs and sits back.  

   “What a shame.  I was hoping you held some interest in me.  Oh, well.  You’re welcome for the friendship,” he sarcastically sighs.  I ball up a napkin and throw it at his face.

   “Don’t be like that.  It’d be weird if I liked you after only knowing you for such a short time,” I suggest.

   “I wouldn’t blame you,” he cockily admits.

   “Oh whatever,” I laugh.

   “So what you’re saying is, you’re weird and you like me?”

   “Not at all!”

   “Darn,” he jokes.  He stands up and grabs my cup.  “Let’s walk back to campus; that’ll give you some more time to like me.”  

   “Not today,” I tell him.

   “But tomorrow?”  

   “Shut up,” I suggest and he listens.  

   He walks me to my residence hall and gives me a hug.  

   “Would it be weird if I asked for your number?”  He asks me.  I shrug and shake my head.  “Good.”

    We exchange numbers and he finally leaves me alone.  That, my friends, was quite a lot of flirting.  Am I right?  

 

 

---

 

 

   “CHOI EUNJI YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SEE ANOTHER MAN,” Luhan yells at me as soon as I open the door to my room.  Hyerin isn’t sitting next to him, so I’m thoroughly confused.

   “Jealous?”  

   “I AM NOT,” Luhan shouts.  He blinks a few times, swallows, then lowers his voice.  “I want you and Sehun together.  I ‘ship’ you, or whatever.”

   “How can you ship us when we so obviously dislike each other?  And where’s your shipmate Hyerin?”

   “I ship you two because you dislike each other.  It’s so cute.  And she’s off shopping.  She dropped me off here to scold you when you got back.  We stalked you and Baekhyun all the way to the coffee shop, and we did not like what we saw.”

   “Oh get over it.  We both know that it isn’t going to go anywhere.  I’ve accepted my fate of being forever unloved.”

   “Be quiet,” Luhan tells me.  “You’re so lovable, no one knows how to love you correctly.”

   I start laughing and roll my face into my pillow.

   “Oh, Luhan; why can’t every guy be like you.”  I feel the edge of my bed sink and I see him peering down at me.  “What are you doing on my bed?”  

   “Do you really wish every guy was like me?” 

   Damn it, Luhan.  Don’t make me feel these emotions.

   “Sometimes, yeah.  What are you going to do about it?”  I respond.  He brushes my hair out of my face and smiles.

   “That made my day.  Do you think the girl I like will think that?”

   “Hyerin? I’m sure,” I answer.  “Now, could you get off my bed?  You’re starting to scare me.”  

   “After this,” he says.  He bends down, kisses my forehead, then gets off the bed.  “As long as I know that you, almost every guy’s ideal type, like me, I can rest easy.  Have a good night, Eunji.”  

   “But--” I begin.  Luhan shuts the door as he walks out and I am left, shaking in my bed from nervousness, wondering what on Earth just happened.  

   What makes me special today?  I’m wearing a red track suit from head to toe.  I haven’t brushed my hair.  I don’t have any make up on, except for Mascara.  Yet somehow, I’ve had two guys hit on me and I had dinner with another guy (but that one doesn’t really count, since I’m just in it for the money.)

   I’m going to sleep; at least, I’ll try to.  I don’t know what to do with my feelings.    

 

a/n: this will be updated over a short(ish) period of time!  be back soon!  <3