Play The Field

The Sweetheart Search

 Hyerin reacts like she usually does when I tell her I’m not interested in Sehun: “Oh, but surely you are.  You just don’t want to admit it.”

   “No, Hyerin.  I actually really like Baekhyun, and...”  I pause.  What I’m going to say next will really hurt her.  “I think I should be eliminated from the Sweetheart Search.”  

   “Not happening, Eunji.  We’re keeping you in, unless you make a complete jerk out of yourself during the next filming.  Which I doubt you will; you have a better head on your shoulders than that.”

   “I could be really boring.  That would kill my role on the show and the show’s liveliness,” I threaten.  Hyerin looks up at me with what looks like tears in her eyes.  

   “After all our hard work.  You wouldn’t actually do that, would you?”  She mumbles.  

   “If I’m not taken off the show, I would.”

   She stands up and comes closer to me.  I sit on my bed as if I’m unfazed, but I’m actually sort of scared.  I’ve never made her this angry.  

   “Look, Eunji,” she whines.  She sits next to me and grabs one of my hands.  What is it with people and grabbing me today?  “Four of us have power over who stays and who leaves.  Two of us believe that you’re meant to be with Sehun.  Kai is still thinking things over, so he goes along with Luhan and I.  Sehun has stopped protesting you on the show.  He actually wants you to stay.”

   This is surprising news.  I know he told me I’m something to look forward to, but I didn’t know that meant he was going to solidify my position on the show.

   “Really?”  I weakly ask.  She nods and crosses her legs.  

   “Really.  He may not admit it, and you may not want to hear it, but Luhan and I are pretty sure he likes you.  It’s not some dream we made up; there are signs.  For example, when you were singing today, he froze.  Like, he didn’t drink anything, didn’t snack on anything, and didn’t talk to anyone.  Luhan started to whisper something to him, and Sehun shut him up.”

   “That doesn’t mean he likes me.”

   “Well, he’s definitely interested in you.  I know that we both saw how pissed he was when Baekhyun kissed your cheek,” she adds.  It’s true.  What’s worse is that I actually felt bad for him.  “And I know why you said what you said.  To let him know he had a chance.”

   “I felt bad for him.”

   “If you really care about his feelings for you, then,” she begins.  She’s about to argue some point that I won’t be able to counter.  “Stay on the show for as long as you can.  He’ll come around.”

   I want her to disappear from my life right now.  She doesn’t have any say in my romantic relationships.  I don’t want her to.  Before this stupid show, we weren’t close at all, and we’re not that close now.  But, with a lack of Eunsang and with desperation for a girl to talk to, I start crying.  

   “I like both of them.  Sehun and Baekhyun.  And I can’t stop liking either one.  I don’t know what to do,” I sob.  Hyerin pulls me closer and rubs my back.  “I don’t even know why I consider Sehun.  Baekhyun is sweet, kind, and the perfect fit for me.  He balances out my tomboy ways.  And Sehun...  He’s just not my type at all.  He’s the male version of me, if anything; and he’s a little bit more arrogant.”  

   “Eunji, you’re definitely a lot sweeter than you give yourself credit for,” she laughs.  “You’re nothing like Sehun, except when you’re interacting with him.  I’d say Baekhyun is more like you than Sehun.  You’re both adorable.”  

   “Are you trying to say opposites attract?”  I weep.  I want to push her off so bad, but I can’t.  I need to get this out.    

   “No, not really.  Just...  I think both stand a good chance with you.  Play the field...  But play Sehun first,” she teases.  I wriggle out of her arms and laugh.  

   “I won’t try to get eliminated from the Sweetheart Search.  I’ll stick around for as long as I can.  But Hye...  As far as playing the field goes, I’m just going to do what my heart tells me to,” I tell her.  She nods and my hair one last time.  

   “Okay,” she sighs.  I know she ultimately wants what’s best for me, and I have to put it behind me that she thinks Sehun is the end all, be all.  

--- 

   “We need to talk,” I address Sehun the next day on the set.  Baekhyun is off trying to find a girl who didn’t show up.  

   “The way you say stuff makes it look like we’re an actual couple,” he groans.  Fortunately, cameras haven’t started rolling yet.  

   “Whether you like it or not, we are.  We’re a fake couple to thousands of people and to our best friends.”  That was the first time I’ve ever addressed Hyerin as my best friend.  “Couples need to talk.  Including fake ones.”

    “So what do you want to talk about?”  He asks, annoyed.  I can’t believe what I’m about to do, but the moment feels like it’s needed.  Plus, Eunsang is watching.  It’ll feel a little bit like revenge.  

   I get up on my toes and wrap my arms around his waist and rest my head against his chest.  It rises sharply in what I assume to be distaste, but to my surprise, he hugs me back.

   “I’m sorry I’ve put you in this situation,” I mumble.  He taps his fingers on my back as if he’s angry, but if he’s really angry he can let go.  

   “I signed up for it in the first place.  Not you fault,” he laughs.  I hug him tighter.  

   “So we’re still friends?”

   “Of course,” he chirps.  We release each other and I look up at him fondly.  

   “What a relief,” I state.  He smiles and pats my head.  “So, do you want me to stick around and help you?”

   “Help me what?”

   “Help you find a girl that you actually like,” I tell him.  I didn’t want to say “help you get over yourself” because I was tired of egging him on.  He purses his lips as he considers it.

   “Sure.  I’ll do something in return for you.”

   “What?”

   “I’ll help you get with Baekhyun.  Officially,” he laughs.  “You two are so awkward.  You act like a couple, but you won’t actually date each other.  What’s that about?”

   “I’m just...  Really bad with boys,” I admit.  “We’re technically not supposed to date until the Sweetheart Search is over, too.”  Sehun grins and puts his hands in his pockets.

   “I’ll help you to become more confident around him.  There’s one thing I want us to agree on, though,” he hums.  I my head to the side to show him I’m listening.  “When we go on our dates for this show, let’s just have fun.  You and me.  Drama-free, no strings attached; just a good time to hang out.  It’s funny that this show is the only place for us to be friends and not have people surround us in drama.” 

   Sehun wants me to stay on the show, just like Hyerin said.  He’s telling me it’s for friendly reasons, though.  I don’t know what to think.  

   Sehun!  Do you like me or not?!  

   “Okay,” I agree enthusiastically.  If anything, this will help me to play the field, as Hyerin suggested.  

 

a/n: wowowowowowow!  lots of love for the sweetheart search came in yesterday!  i'm so lucky to have awesome readers ^^ this chapter was kind of slow, yeah?  so, in celebration of so many new readers, i shall post another chapter later today to show my love! <3  stay tuned for a jealous sehun!