Rhythm's Gonna Get Her

The Sweetheart Search

And suddenly, it's time for filming again. Baekhyun has been texting me and trying to meet up since our little coffee date/thing. Luhan won't let me hear the end of his argument; he's always repeating "You and Sehun are meant to be!" in my ear. I'm so confused; I know he only kissed me on the forehead but it left such an emotional impact on me... I mean, how can I ship the HyeLu couple when he did that?  

   Things are settling, though. Having him tease me about being destined for Sehun has helped me get over those feelings. But then there's Baekhyun, who is pretty much the human embodiment of a puppy-- he texts me good morning, he tells me he misses me, and he says he can't wait to see me today. 

   Today. Today is the second filming, and I've decided to show up in my red tracksuit again and make it my trademark image. I catch Sehun's eye as I walk across the Recreational Basketball Court, and he smirks. I pinch my nose in distaste and watch as he makes his way over to me. 

   "While the tracksuit matches the setting, it's the same one you wore last time," he comments. He pinches the arm of my sleeve and I shake my arm to move his hand away. 

   "While your judgement has been noted, you're still the jerk you were last time," I say back-- easy, breezy, vindictive. In the corner of my eye I see him smile and I turn to face him. "What?"

   "Look, I'm not a bad guy, and I'd really like to get to know you. You're the only girl who isn't being fake right now."

   "Eunsang isn't a fake."

   "Who cares about Eunsang?" Sehun says, and I quickly jump forward to cover his mouth with my palm. 

   "I do, and I happen to know she cares a lot about you, so don't you dare say selfish stuff like that," I warn. I can't help it if he doesn't like her, but I can try. 

   "Fine. But as I was saying--" Sehun starts, but a familiar voice begins calling out to me. 

   "Eunji!" Baekhyun cooes and skips over. "You didn't check in. How'd I miss you? Did you sneak by me so you could put the moves on Sehun?"

   "Not at all; I just didn't see you," I respond. "However, Sehun and I are having an important conversation-"

   "You're last today," Sehun tells me and turns on the balls of his feet,  an annoyed smirk gracing his face per usual. "See you later," he calls behind him. 

   I begin to go after him but Baekhyun holds me back. "Whoa there, Tiger. You'll have your time to dance with him."

   "Dance?" I ask. "Is that the plan for today?"

   "Yep. I heard Sehun was a member of a Cotillion club and he can dance well enough to do it competitively. So, today's event is to see who can keep up with him."

   "I'm a horrible dancer."

   "And that might just be your charm, other than your cute face," Baekhyun compliments with a wink and I feel like I'm fainting. "Let's go do something after filming today."

   It takes all of the strength inside me to stop blushing and agree to go with him. He pats my head and smiles. 

   "Go to the ladies' locker room. That's where all of the contestants are waiting." 

   I listen to Baekhyun and make my way to the locker room. All the color that was on my face has vanished, and suddenly I look flushed and dead. 

   "Eunji, are you alright?" I hear a concerned Eunsang. I nod and hug her. 

   "It's Baekhyun again.  He's trying to sweep me off my feet. I can't handle it."

    "If you like him so much,  just date him already," she teases. 

   Do I like him? He's cute-- anyone can see that. But I'd be pretty superficial if I liked him solely because of his looks. He's just a flirt,  and his flirting makes my heart flutter. But I don't think I actually have feelings for the guy, just a casual attraction. I'm sure that's how he must feel towards me, too. 

   Once all of the girls arrive, someone grabs my hand and spins me around. It's Kai. 

   "Luhan sent me down here to teach you some moves. He wants you to impress Sehun."

   "That's an unfair advantage," I scold. 

   "Luhan figured you'd say that,  and he told me to tell you that he has to keep his ship sailing, whatever that means." Kai grabs my waist in preparation. 

   I'm both honored and touched that Luhan would remember and use the vocabulary I taught him with one of his close friends.

   "I'm thankful,  but I just don't think this is necessary or fair."

   "But--"

   "I must say I agree with her," Baekhyun's voice calls. I smile over at him, thankful that he's saving me from this situation. He looks irritated and glares at Kai. As if he realizes it, a soft smile glows on his face and he comes over to us. "This won't be necessary," he says and takes Kai's hand off my waist. Kai doesn't argue and just leaves.  

   "Thanks, Baek. The fans would rip my head off if they found out I was favored. If this stupid thing has any fans."

   "Oh, it does. The first episode got 5,000 hits. Not bad, if you ask me. And if everyone who watched the last episode told a friend about it and liked it, we should have close to 10,000 this time around."

   "Don't you think that's wishful thinking?"

   "No; after all, stuff like this airs on television and is watched by masses," he chuckles. A girl is called out of the room and a slow song can be heard over the giant speakers in the gym. It was most likely chosen for a waltz. 

   "I can slow dance. Sort of," I say happily. I don't like Sehun, but he isn't incredibly intolerable, and I'd like another 20,000 ₩.  

   "Show me," Baekhyun suggests. He holds his hands and arms up and looks at me like I need to do this. I smile an embarassed, nervous smile and step up to him. 

   "I guess a little practice wouldn't hurt."

   The whole time I'm blushing,  and I swear, the entire time Baekhyun is staring at me.  Staring. Analyzing every feature on my face. 

   "Like the view?" I tease, and I regret it immediately. Did I just flirt with him?  He liked it,  though-- I can tell because he's still. Staring. At me. But now, it's like he's a smooth criminal. 

   "I do. I might have to stay."

   My heart starts racing and I gulp really hard. It feels like there's a golf ball in my throat, like I'm going through anaphylaxis,  but really I'm just incapable of handling such flirtation. 

   "I might like that," I dare to whisper. Baekhyun laughs and pulls me into a hug. "This is so much more productive than our coffee date ever was."

   I laugh along with him and pull away, afraid to agree with him. 

   But I do. I agree with him more than words could say. 

   "Hey, Byun Baekhyun," an angry sounding Luhan says loudly. "You don't have permission to be back here." 

   "Since when?" He asks, but not too coldly. He gives my hand a squeeze and leaves me to go talk to Luhan. I don't listen to their conversation, but Baekhyun eventually leaves.  Luhan glares at me, points his finger, and shakes his head. I understand. I wait to laugh, though,  until after he turns around and heads back to wherever they're screening the dancing. He's too cute when he's mad.   

   All 13 of the previous songs were slow, so I have no doubt in my mind that I'll be able to pass this round. All I have to do is not bicker with Sehun and not step on his toes. That should be easy enough. 

   I walk out and bow in front of him. When I stand up, he's smirking at me. Damn that smirk. 

   "I don't think you're a good slow dancer."    

   "How do you know?" I ask, trying to sound annoyed. 

   "Well, I mean, just look at you. You're so bold. So brilliant. So adorned in red, the color of passion and rhythm." 

   "Neither of those things have color," I genuinely laugh. I wasn't expecting a monologue from him.  

   "So," he says and turns to the camera, "I will now choose a song from my music library that is not on the approved playlist. I hope the judges and audience understand." He walks over to his laptop and clicks on something that I fear won't be a slow song. 

   And it isn't. 

   Sehun has chosen to play "Conga" by Gloria Estefan. While the song is good, my dance moves are not. 

   "Come on, Eunji! Shake those hips for me!" 

   "I will not be subjected to such embarassment!" 

   "I won't take no for an answer!" He shouts over the music and shimmies over to me. My eyes grow wide as he puts his hands on my hips and starts pushing them up, down, side to side, and every way possible for hips to move. 

   "I can do this on my own!" I yell at him and push him away. He nods and dramatically points at me, as if expecting me to rise to the challenge. I start stepping side to side, then I break out the classics-- the Sprinkler, the Shopping Cart, and the Scuba Diver-- and I'm pleased to see Sehun actually having a good time. He was actually dancing, and he was dancing very well, but my killer moves put him to shame (aka I looked so ridiculous he bowled over laughing.) As the song ends, Sehun comes over to me and actually hugs me. 

   "I'm glad I put you last. That was quite a way to end things," he cooes and I feel my heartstrings tug a little.  I don't let the feeling last long, though. He pulls away from me, smiles, and ruffles my hair. 

   "So do you think I'll make it to the next round?" I say happily. The smile on his face fades as he puts his hands in his pocket and shrugs. 

   "We will see. I've gotta go talk to the judges. Later," he coldly says and leaves the court. 

   Look at Sehun trying to be cool. Trust me, buddy; I don't want to like you as much as you don't want to like me. I'm going to make you Eunsang's.  

   The cuts are made at the smoothie bar inside the gym complex. All of the girls refrain from drinking one because they say they don't need the extra calories, but I go ahead and get one, and it's delicious. Anything pina colada flavored is my weakness-- except for actual pina coladas. A hand wraps around my smoothie and at first I think it's Baekhyun,  but it's actually Sehun. I look at him in disbelief as he takes a sip from my straw. He hands the cup back to me and purses his lips in an irritating-but-attractive way. 

   "What was that for?" I groan. 

   "That's payback for the other day. You know, when you took my drink. I hope you don't think we just indirectly kissed or something." 

   I'm so flustered that I say the first thing that comes to mind. "Those are my words! Plagiarism! "

   "They came out of your mouth, not a pen. You can't do anything about it~" he sings. For the first time, I feel like he's actually getting to know me-- he isn't forcing it, and he isn't being forced to. He's just doing it. I smile and take another sip of my smoothie. 

   "Gross. Sehun germs." 

   "Are you admitting to an indirect kiss?"

   "Are you suggesting you'd like that?" I sass. Baekhyun comes around and takes the drink from my hand and throws it away. I suddenly feel guilty. 

   "There. Now you can't argue about it anymore," Baekhyun says to both of us, but I feel like he's mainly directing it at Sehun.  

   "Eunji," Eunsang mumbles,  and I know I've crossed my borders. I grab her hand and give her a back hug. 

   "Why don't you just get with this cute girl and settle things?" I suggest with a grin. Eunsang giggles and I can tell it's a shy, happy giggle, but Sehun keeps his eyes on mine. I eventually have to turn away and start conversation with two girls I don't really care about just to escape the whole situation. 

   At the end of the day, I didn't get cut. Luhan stole me away from Baekhyun, saying that I needed to shop for a new wardrobe to impress Sehun. Baekhyun tried his best to tag along, but Luhan stifled his efforts. 

   "Hyerin, get your roommate in order. It should be common sense to abstain from dating while participating in such a program." 

   "She's stubborn. She won't listen to us. We just have to put hope in the fact that she's charming."

   "I don't know what you guys see in me," I laugh and finish paying for this cute little black dress they made me get for the next episode-- An Evening On The Town. Towns are so vague, I have no idea what we'll be doing. I'll have to tell Eunsang what I'm wearing so she can outdo me. She always does, but after today's event with Sehun I've felt apologetic.  

   I'm starting to enjoy the Sweetheart Search. Maybe, by some crazy fate, I will actually find somebody to love. However, if there's one thing I'm sure of, it's that the red tracksuit will strike again.