Stop It

The Sweetheart Search

“Eunji!  This is officially your sixth recording, how do you feel?”  Baekhyun cheers as I check in with him at the Friday filming.  

   “Ecstatic,” I smile up at him.  “I get to see you,” I whisper, and a grin forms on his face.  He looks sad, though.  “Is everything okay?”

   “Yeah.  I’m a little jealous, though.  Sehun told me you met him at the library yesterday.”  

   “Of course he did,” I sigh.  “Don’t worry.  It’s because I’m helping him and Hyerin.  That’s all.”

   He still looks worried.  Is he jealous?  That’s kind of cute, but I really don’t want him to be upset.  

   “I understand.  Just don’t fall in love with him, okay?”  He weakly asks.  I pat his shoulder and nod in agreement.  

   I’m not in love with Sehun, just interested.  That is all.  And Baekhyun doesn’t have to know that; all he needs to know is how important to me he is and how important having my first kiss with him was.  

   In the waiting room, Eunsang is eyeing me suspiciously-- per usual.  How was I friends with this girl?  Was she always this mean?  I just sit down and ignore her, playing with my phone.  A text comes in from an unknown number.

    Unknown: Are you excited about tonight?

    Me: Who is this?

    Unknown: Hint: I got your number from Luhan, and you kissed my cheek. 

Sehun.

    Me: In the words of the all-esteemed Sehun, a kiss on the cheek isn’t that     important.

    Unknown: Oh whatever.  Answer my question.  Are you excited about tonight?

    Me: I don’t even know what the theme is. 

I quickly save his number, just in case Eunsang can see from here.  Come to think of it, why is she even here?  Sehun doesn’t like her, he made that clear to me.  And the other judges are my friends...  I guess someone just really screwed up on the last episode.  I’m sure Eunsang will be out this round.  

    Sehun: It’s karaoke!!!  

    Me: What?!  I can’t sing and be recorded...

    Sehun: I know.  Your fans will go wild with desire and find you.  

    Me: I didn’t even think about that...  I get nervous singing in front of cameras.

    Sehun: I’ll make it easy on you.  We can rap. 

    Me: You’re so thoughtful.

    Sehun: It saves me, too.  I’m sure I’m going to be singing girly songs with     everyone else.  This will restore my masculinity.  

    Me: Whatever you say.  Isn’t your first date starting about now? 

    Sehun: Right.  I’ll see you in approximately 30 minutes. 

   I smile into my phone and keep staring at his name.  So this is his number?  I can bug him all the time if I want to.  

   When I go to sing with him, he’s grinning from ear to ear.  I’m worried. 

   “Eunji, you know I care about you a lot, right?”  He says and grabs my hand.  This catches me off guard.  Why is he acting so sweet?  

   “I guess so?” I respond.  

   “Well, you should know so.  Because I’ve picked the perfect song.”  

   There’s a lot of noise, then I hear Sehun rapping the beginning of a song that sounds familiar.  It’s “Stop It” by B.A.P.  I must say, this is the best, absolute perfect song to sing.  It’s fun, I don’t have to use incredible vocals, and Sehun can rap.  Like, he raps really well.  I dance along and visibly approve of his choice.  We get to the chorus and we’re both smiling like idiots.    

    Please don’t get mad, stop it, please don’t be like that
    It’s annoying, it makes me angry, I love you,
    How many times do I have to say it for you to understand my heart
                            -BAP, “Stop It”

   When the song finishes, Sehun gives me a bear hug and I hug him back as hard as I can.  

   “That was awesome!  I had no idea you could rap that well!”  I compliment him.  

   “I’m a man of many talents,” he responds and winks.  I roll my eyes and lightly punch his shoulder.  

   “Whatever.  Good job.”

   “You too.  I’m sure your fans will be even more in love with you, but at least they won’t come after you like they would if you’d sung another IU song.” 

   “True.  Thank you so much, Sehun.  That was really fun.”  

   Sehun grabs my waist and pulls me in for another hug, and I feel...  At peace.  He’s so calm and sweet right now.  He keeps swinging me side to side, and I can’t help but giggle into his shoulder. 

   “Someone split the lovebirds up, please,” Luhan yells before the cameras shut off.  He did that on purpose, and I’m sure it’ll be edited into the show.  

   “Ignore him,” Sehun laughs.  He puts his forehead to mine and closes his eyes.  What the heck?  EUNJI DOWN.  HELP ME.  He pulls away and ruffles my hair, then turns around and starts walking off.  “Go see what Baekhyun thought,” he advises me.  I do, but it hurts a little.  Is that how he’s going to treat me now, like an experiment for Baekhyun?  I‘m his friend, too; and I like him.  Can’t he be a little more generous?  Before I’m too far away, he calls over to me.  “You were super cute today.”  

   There’s the generosity I was waiting for.  

   Baekhyun approves.  He won’t stop smiling at me.  I was right about Eunsang being cut; she’s eliminated shortly after I reunite with Baekhyun.  She looks incredibly angry, of course.  I feel bad for her, I really do, but I don’t show anyone that.  Instead of leaving, she comes over to Baekhyun and I.

   “Are you two having a fun time with each other?”  She snaps.  I look at Baekhyun, but to my surprise he’s staring at her.  Sadly.  The same way he was looking at me earlier.

   There’s something I’m missing. 

   “Yes,” he answers.  She grins and leaves.  I take a few steps away from Baekhyun and look at him with worry.

   “What was that about? And why do you look so worried?” 

   “It’s just sad that she’s so jealous of you that she wants to ruin you.”

   “She didn’t say anything about ruining me,” I mumble.  “I know she’s jealous, but I don’t think she’s that vicious.”

   “She’s obviously vicious enough to come over here just to say something rude to you.”

   “Fair point.”

   “Hey, are you coming to our Halloween party at the loft next Friday?  Hyerin is coming, she was supposed to invite you,” he says. 

   “I haven’t heard about it until now.  Sounds fun.  Music and dancing?”

   “And probably some drinking.”

   “Ah,” I sigh.  “I’m not about that life.  But I’ll come for the party, and Piña Coladas.”

   “Sounds good to me,” he laughs. 

---

    Sehun: 2 o’clock tomorrow.  I’ll meet you at star fountain.  Then we’ll go     paddle boating!!! 

    Me:  Sounds good.

    Baekhyun: Are you doing anything tomorrow?  We should go on a date!

    Me: I’m busy.  Sunday maybe?  

    Baekhyun:  Dinner and a movie? 

    Me: Perfect.

   I feel bad not telling Baekhyun what I’m doing. I need to get over my feelings for Sehun so I don’t keep two timing him.  But technically I’m not, right?  We aren’t actually dating, and I’m doing what Hyerin told me to do. 

   Why are relationships so confusing.  I pick up my phone to text Sehun.

    Me: I’ll go with you under one condition.  Don’t tell Baekhyun you’re going     paddle boating, or that you’re doing anything with me.

    Sehun: Fine.  But watching him get jealous is so much fun.  :(

    Me: You’re terrible.

    Sehun: I’m nice enough for you hang out with me.  

   Fine, Sehun.  You win.