Confessions

When friends become something more

 

 

"How are things going?" Kibum sat on Jonghyun's bed and watched him turn off his laptop and put the guitar down.

The older sighed as he sat next to him. "I don't know... Jinki hyung doesn't avoid me as much as he used to but he still doesn't exchange more than a few words with me. It's usually just 'have you eaten?' or 'we're leaving in 5 minutes, get ready'." he looked down at his lap biting his lip. "I don't know if I should give him more time or try to talk with him now"

Kibum thought for a minute. "I don't think you should wait. It'll only get harder to talk to him with time. You guys will grow apart and before you know it you'll only be able to look at him from afar. Besides, the longer you wait the more time you give Yixing to make Jinki hyung fall in love with him."

Jonghyun rested his head on the pillow and looked up at the ceiling. "About Yixing... I talked with him a few days ago... I'm not sure if I understood him right but I think that he's willing to give Jinki hyung up."

"Eh?! How come? Are you serious?" Jonghyun nodded in response. "What did he say?"

"He said he's 'not going to take him away from me'. That's all." Jonghyun exhaled. "Do you think it's safe to assume that he's giving Jinki hyung up?"

Kibum furrowed his brows. "I'm not sure... I highly doubt he'd lie to you, he's not that kind of person. He probably meant everything he said but the question is whether he'll be able to keep up his word." he looked over at Jonghyun. "He might have decided to let Jinki hyung go but it might turn out he won't be able to do it." he sighed loudly. "But seriously, where did this kid come from? ...He never fails to amaze me."

"I know right."

They sat in silence for a couple of minutes before Kibum spoke up again.

"So what are you going to do now? I really think you should talk with Jinki hyung. You might regret it later if you don't."

Jonghyun sighed and pouted slightly. "I guess I'll try to talk with him... I just... really hope it won't end like the last time we talked."

 

 

 

"Hyung"

Jinki jumped hearing Jonghyun call his name. He turned around slowly to face him.

"U-um. Do you have a few minutes? I-i'd like to talk with you." Jonghyun was extremely nervous and it could be heard in his voice. He prepared himself for this conversation, he thought carefully of what he was going to say not to screw things up again. Yet, as soon as Jinki turned around his brain felt like cotton candy, his hands became sweaty and the unpleased expression on the leader's face didn't help him to calm down at all.

Jinki hesitated, his brows furrowed. He really wanted to say "no". He just recently learned how to look into Jonghyun's eyes and not feel like bursting out crying. He felt like he wasn't ready for this yet but Jonghyun was looking at him pleadingly and Jinki also appreciated the fact that the younger had the courage to approach him.

He bit his bottom lip anxiously. "Okay."

Jonghyun gave him a small nervous smile before they went in the direction of the leader's room.

 

They closed the door behind them and Jonghyun stood there awkwardly for a few seconds before finally opening his mouth to speak.

"Hyung, I'd like you to listen to me. Just hear me out. When I finish talking you can do whatever you want, just... let me say everything I want okay?"

Jinki nodded in response and Jonghyun exhaled slowly trying to calm himself down a bit.

"I know... I know that you're angry with me... and that you're disappointed. And I know that it's all my fault..." he glanced at Jinki to see if he was still willing to listen to him. Not seeing anything alarming he continued. "But I think that you don't know the truth. You probably have a wrong idea of what had happened the morning after the party when you saw me and Taeyon noona."

Jinki's eyes sparked dangerously but he didn't say anything.

"I just want you to know that it didn't mean anything. She was the one that kissed me, I tried to push her off gently but she was quite persistent. I didn't want to use too much force, she's my sunbae after all... That's why it took me so long to push her off. And it was an unlucky coincidence that you returned to the dorm when she was still on the top of me. Just... It really didn't mean anything, and I don't want you to misunderstand anymore."

Jinki was looking at him with an unreadable expression. His eyes were slightly narrowed, as he was trying to make out whether the younger was telling the truth. Not so long ago he would believe everything Jonghyun said without doubting him in the slightest. Now though, he was hesitating and it only made him realize how different their relationship had become compared to before.

Jonghyun swallowed nervously. He was glad that Jinki was still in the room, listening to him as he had promised, but at the same time he was aware that that was the easy part. Now, he was going to completely bare his soul to Jinki and it made his stomach turn.

"That night hyung on the other hand, meant a world to me." he lifted his gaze to look into Jinki's eyes to make him believe he was being genuine. "It was a dream come true for me, you have no idea for how long I wanted that to happen... I never said anything because I was scared you'd reject me. I was making eyes at you when you weren't looking for ages now... Kibum said I was being so obvious it was painful to watch." he chuckled softly. "I don't even know when I started to feel about you this way..." he smiled softly imagining all the happy moments he shared with Jinki.

"What I do know is that every time you smile my heart feels like it's going to burst... That when I hear your voice I feel like melting right on the spot... That when I look into your eyes it feels like I'm being in, and I don't even want to fight it. I know that every time I look at your lips I need to hold myself back not to kiss the heavens out of them. That when I look at you my hands itch to touch you all over. I know that every time someone else touches you I want to punch them in the face and scream that you're mine... You were never mine though and so I had to learn how to deal with this burning feeling inside my chest..." he looked to the side for a second before turning his gaze back to Jinki. "What I'm saying is... I love you and I'm asking you to give me a second chance. I love you and I want to make you happy. I just need you... to let me." Jonghyun swallowed and waited for an answer. Seconds felt like hours and he felt himself grow more and more nervous. His heart was doing somersaults in his chest and he never felt so vulnerable in his whole life.

Jinki stayed quiet though. He stopped looking at Jonghyun and dropped his gaze to the floor.

It was unbearable, Jonghyun felt like dying. His hopes were lessening with every passing second and he felt a strong urge to cry as the silence continued.

"Say something hyung." he pleaded.

Not so long ago Jinki would jump into Jonghyun's arms without blinking an eye. But that was before he spent so many days crying his eyes out because of him, that was before Yixing confessed to him. What he couldn't deny was the fluttering of his heart when he heard Jonghyun say he loved him. But he couldn't imagine himself starting a relationship with him now. He couldn't afford to hurt Yixing any more than he already did, the younger was too important to him.

"Hyung, please" Jonghyun looked like he was about to cry any second now, he couldn't take it anymore.

Jinki looked up at him with a pained expression. "I'm sorry but I don't think I can give you what you want..."

Jonghyun's lips quivered, he felt like throwing up. His world was crushing and he felt like he could do nothing but watch.

"I'm sorry... It's... not the right time... Let's take it slow okay? I think it would be best if we started to repair our friendship first. Then we'll see how it goes." Jinki smiled at Jonghyun warmly waiting for an answer.

The younger nodded hurriedly. He felt his eyes get wet from relief but he tried his best not to start crying. He gave Jinki a small grin and the older ruffled his hair as a way of starting to fix their relationship.