Knowing your rivals

When friends become something more

Okay guys so I've re-read this chapter after a while and I have to admit it's not that good... But it's only an introduction to the rest of the story so please don't get discouraged and keep reading ^^

 


 

 

The day of the Seoul Music Awards has come. All of SHINee members were silently hoping that maybe this year they'll finally be able to win a daesang. They debuted 6 years ago but unfortunately they were never able to win the award. And because of EXO's growing popularity winning it was getting harder and harder as time went by. Of course all of them loved their hoobaes, some of SHINee and EXO members were really good friends, it was no secret though that the ever growing competition in the industry was making things difficult.

It was completely quiet in SHINee's dressing room. Onew was sitting in front of the mirror looking at his reflection. He couldn't help but blame himself a little for not being able to win a daesang for those 6 years. He was the leader after all. He was the one responsible for the group. For the members.

He scanned the room with his eyes. Everyone was looking resigned, staring into space with blank eyes. Usually all of them would fool around, play games or just talk. He lowered his head in shame and felt his eyes get wet. It was all his fault. What kind of leader lets his dongsaengs lose faith? What kind of leader doesn't even try to make the atmosphere better?

He felt his tears build up, so not wanting anyone to see him cry he decided to excuse himself to the toilet. Before he was able to lift himself from his seat though he felt somebody's arms wrap around his shoulders, holding him tight.

" It's okay hyung " Jongyun whispered into Jinki's ear.

" Even if we won't win the daesang today, it's going to be okay. It's not your fault. We did our best, didn't we? "

Jinki felt his warm breath on his neck. He lifted his head and looked at Jonghyun's reflection. He had a soft, reassuring smile on his face. He was always there for him, he didn't need to say anything, he always knew if something was troubling the leader. They had that kind of friendship that everyone could only dream about. Jinki smiled to himself. He was really thankful for a friend like him. 

Jonghyun squeezed his shoulders one last time and gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

The older boy sprang up waving his arms in all directions.

" W-what do you think you're doing?! "

Jonghyun only send him a wink and run out of the room laughing like a mad man.

" Seriously, can't this guy be serious even for one minute? Always fooling around "

Jinki raised his hand to touch his cheek, he could still feel the warmth radiating from the place where the other man's lips touched his skin. His heart was beating a little too fast to be considered normal too. He wasn't stupid, he knew what that meant. He liked Jonghyun. Not like a brother. Like a man.

 

He always knew his feelings for his best friend were a little different compared to ones he had for the other SHINee members. At first he thought it was admiration. Jonghyun was handsome, funny, and his singing techniques were better than his. They understood each other without words and Jinki treasured him as a second oldest member in the group. With time though, he started to understand that what he was feeling was not meant for someone who was just a friend. Jinki got scared. He started to avoid Jonghyun because he felt that if he won't, he'll end up slamming him against a wall and doing all the things he kept dreaming about every night. He wanted to distance himself from his crush hoping that maybe it would help his feelings for him go away. Jinki avoided Jonghyun until the younger male confronted him about it. He was crying, asking why Jinki was behaving like this again and again and what he did to deserve such treatment. His face was dripping with hurt and at that moment Jinki hated himself. How could he do that to his best friend? Someone whom he was supposed to look after as a leader?  He could feel his heart breaking at the sight in front of him. He hugged Jonghyun tightly and kept whispering "Sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry". He never told him though why he had been behaving like this. And as hard as it was for Jinki they came back to being best friends. Just friends.

 

 

 

A few meters away from SHINee's dressing room there was Jonghyun leaning against a wall. He dropped to the floor and hugged his knees hiding his face in them trying to calm his racing heart. He could still smell Jinki's cologne, feel the softness of Jinki's skin on his lips. Jonghyun wasn't sure how long he would be able to keep this up. It was getting harder for him to control himself in Jinki's presence. He doesn't remember when hugging his best friend became a challenge for him. He can't stop doing that though because this is what Jonghyun does. He hugs Jinki. If he stopped Jinki would grow suspicious, maybe even try to talk to him about it and in the worst case he would find out about Jonghyun's feelings for him. And he can't risk that. He can't be without Jinki, he can't afford to lose him. And that's what would happen if Jinki was to find out. He would hate him and Jonghyun would die if Jinki was to hate him. He grabbed the material covering his chest and squeezed it tightly. When his heartbeat came back to normal he stood up, fixed his clothes and came back to the dressing room. He spotted Jinki and flashed him a blinding smile.

 

 

"Melon Music Awards. Among the three daesangs, Artist of the Year goes to... SHINee!! Congratulations!"

After SHINee said their 'thank you's and cried together on the stage it was time for the EXO members to join them. They were all praying the award would go to their sunbaes and their wish came true. You could spot Jongin and Taemin crying together, EXO members hugging and congratulating SHINee members. Jonghyun couldn't stop crying so Minho went to comfort him. While they were hugging Jonghyun spotted Jinki happily burying himself in Yixing's chest. He felt his stomach drop. He stiffened in Minho's arms and clenched his fists. This sight wasn't unfamiliar to him. Everyone loved SHINee's leader so he was often a witness of different people being touchy-feely with him. He hated that. But he hated Yixing touching his hyung the most. Why? Because Yixing was Jinki's second best friend. What's worst about the story is that they would probably never become so close if it wasn't for Jonghyun. Or Jonghyun's injury to be precise. He had hurt his leg and wasn't able to perform, so they sent Yixing who was still a trainee back then to take his place during SHINee's concert. Jinki being the caring person he is took care of the Chinese boy. Jonghyun had no idea how they became so close in such a short period of time. When SHINee members came back from Japan he wanted to go to the movies with Jinki. Excited, he went straight to his room only to see his crush tickling a guy he barely recognized on Jinki's bed. He stood in the doorway, unmoving, his heart loudly thumping against his ribcage. His mouth became so dry he couldn't swallow properly. He just stood there staring at the scene in front of him with his eyes wide open. They didn't even notice him because they were were having so much fun. Jonghyun finally regained power in his limbs. He left the room, carefully shutting the door behind him. Since then, Jonghyun considered Yixing his rival.