Chapter 23

Breaking the Ice Hearts

 

CHAPTER twentythree

 

After lingering in the shower longer than he usually have, he turned off the water and wrapped himself with a towel. Not even a hot shower and an intense work-out could relieve him from his annoyance of what occurred earlier today.   

He was bothered with Donghae's behavior with Yoona, his wife. But what troubled him even more was Yoona's lack of concern with the whole situation. He tried to rationalized his feelings from the drive home until now. He told himself he wasn't jealous. 

Why would he be jealous? He didn't see Yoona in a romantic light. 

At least that's what he kept telling himself as he mindlessly dressed himself in the bedroom, while Yoona was busily cooking in the kitchen.

He rationalized to himself that he was behaving like how any prideful man would react in this situation. Yoona was legally his wife. What's mine is mine, he possessively thought, and it didn't matter if he actually liked her or not.

He could almost understand Donghae's actions. Yoona was a beautiful woman and if his heart didn't already belong to someone else and if cruel fate didn't force them together in this marriage, maybe he could've had feelings for the young beauty. Maybe, just maybe

Wait. Did he actually consider having feelings for Yoona? 

He shook his head, as if it could clear his head by doing this action. My hunger is clouding my mental process, he naively thought as he continued flipping through the channels.

Yoona must be playing tricks with him. Women were all the same. They enjoyed playing mind games and toying with hearts by purposely trying to get them jealous. 

"Aw Taecyeon, don't be angry with me" Yuri's pout was hard to resist but he fought it by looking away from her face. He was angry at the freshman who was trying to get Yuri's number. But he was more angry at Yuri by flirting back and not sending the young boy away, like any other faithful woman.

They only in third year of high school at the time. Barely a year into their relationships and it felt like they were fighting more and more as the days passed.

She hugged his waist, "Come on baby, I said I was sorry" 

He sighed, his anger boiling inside him. 

"Like sorry would change what you did" He glared, "You were flirting with him like some -"  

Yuri dropped her arms, annoyed. He could be so difficult. Why couldn't he just accept her apologies and move on? 

"Some what? What were you going to call me? A ?!" 

His eyes widen, "What? No!-"

"But I'm sure you were thinking that in your head!" Tears began to form in her eyes. She looked so broken, "What was wrong with talking to that boy? At least he made me feel special" 

Along with her words, the tears that dropped continuously down her cheeks made him feel more guilty. 

"You are always so busy with your family's company that I feel like you are forgetting me. I'm just a dancer" 

Her sobs grew louder, breaking Taecyeon's already weak heart. He didn't realize missing a few school days and their date nights made Yuri feel so worthless. He engrossed her into a warm embrace. 

"I'm sorry Yuri for making you feel like you weren't special. Of course you are special to me. I'm so sorry baby" 

He didn't know how she did it but he could always make him feel guilty in any fight they had. One moment he was mad and the next he was the one apologizing. This wasn't the first time he caught Yuri flirting with another man. The last time he almost killed a man because he wasn't able to restrain himself.By the end of it, he was the one apologizing because Yuri was so mad that he got so violent. 

He frowned at the sudden memory, more annoyed than he already was. 

Yoona's voice brought him back to reality, announcing that dinner will be ready soon. 

Almost unconsciously, Taecyeon turned off the television, though he wasn't actually paying attention, and began setting up the table for dinner. Though it's only almost a week, they had fallen into a comfortable routine. After coming home together from the office, Taecyeon would head into the office to work on any unfinished or relieve stress by working out. When he was in the study room, Yoona would sometimes assist him before disappearing into dinner. 

He grabbed two sets of plates and utensils from the kitchen and began setting them across from each other. He wasn't use to doing any chores since he had maids to clean up after him at the mansion. Yet here he was setting the dinner table, something he would have never done except that his guilt got the better of him. Setting up the dinner table was the only thing he could do since Yoona did all the cooking and cleaning around the house.

When Yoona stepped out of the kitchen, holding a tray of side dishes in one hand, and the a tray with two rice bowls and two lager empty bowls in other. Taecyeon took both trays off her hands and began the dishes and bowls on the dinner table. By the time Yoona came back with the main dish, Taecyeon was already seated himself, anticipating what Yoona had made today. For that moment of anticipation, he forget his annoyance with Yoona because Yoona's cooking were too die for. He had eaten from some of the best chefs in the world but nothing could compare to Yoona's natural talent.

His eyes widen in delight,"Gamjatang!" 

Gamjatang was his favorite Korean dish but he couldn't eat it as often as he would like since the chef at mansion only made American dishes.

He devoured the food, eating everything on table and even the leftovers. When all the plates with cleared empty, Taecyeon was happliy patting his belly with a content smile on his face. 

"It was like you knew it was my favorite" 

Yoona gave him a small smile, "You looked mad today and I remember the chef telling me this was your favorite" 

Taecyeon facial features changed from surprised, confusion to pure bliss. He was in complete shock. All this time, he believed that it was only him that was making an effort in the relationship.

He didn't see Yoona starting and continuing conversations like he would. He didn't see Yoona on his floor to "casually" check up on him like how he would do whenever he was curious.Yet all along, Yoona seemed to know more about him than she led on. 

In one day Yoona had managed to bring Taecyeon on a roller coaster of emotions. 

 


 

"I'm surprised you're in a better mood today" Jokwon commented on Taecyeon's change in mood.

Taecyeon was a complete 180 from yesterday. He was cheerful around the office, greeting everyone with a wide smile. He even patted confused Jongin on the back for doing well on his presentation.

"What do you mean?" Taecyeon looked up, confused with the comment.

Jokwon looked at him as if he had suddenly grew three heads, "Just yesterday it looked like you were about to rip off Jongin's head and today you're acting like you two are the best buds"

Taecyeon frowned, "I wasn't that bad, was it?" 

"I'm probably exaggerating but I have a whole floor that would agree that yesterday was a terrible day for you and the whole floor"

Knock Knock 

"Amber, I told you I don't want to be - Oh Tiffany!" Taecyeon was in shock to see his sister at the company since she never mentioned anything through their text messages.

"What are you doing here, Fany?" Jokwon asked after the greetings. Tiffany situated herself beside Jokwon, facing Taecyeon.

Tiffany gave her famous eye smile, "I just wanted to check up Taecyeon and see how things are at the new apartment"

"What? You moved?" Jokwon turned to Taecyeon, "How come you never said anything?"

He shrugged but said nothing.

"You need to throw some sort of house warming party!" He exclaimed, his eyes already dancing with excitement 

"No way!" He didn't know why but he disliked the idea of other people coming into his house. 

But apparently Tiffany had different ideas. Her eyes light up with ideas.

"Jokwon, you're so smart! How does next Saturday sound?" 

The two went into discussion, leaving Taecyeon to groan in frustration. There was no turning back when Tiffany set her mind to something. 

"Oh!" She said mid-sentence, "Before I forget to say it. Taec, you should get Yoona a cell phone" 

"Why?"

Tiffany raised a brow at Taecyeon's defensive tone, "I don't want you to be a middle man when I check up on her" 

Taecyeon thought about it, maybe it was a good idea. 

 


 

"Where are we going?" 

Yoona looked out the window, noticing that the car was going the opposite direction of their apartment. 

"We're going to stop by the mall"

Though Yoona was confused, she remained silent through the remainder of the drive.

When they arrived, Taecyeon held her hand as he lead the way to the nearest electronic store.

"What are we doing here?" She leaned into him as a group of teenagers brushed upon her.

His arms wrapped around her arms, "Come on before you get lost in the crowd"

When they arrived, the couple were welcomed by an handful of ecstatic employees. 

"What can we do for you today, Mr. Ok - and Mrs. Ok" 

Everyone in the store seemed to recognize him almost instantly. A group of employees began to gather around the couple. Yoona grew uncomfortable with their attention turned to her. A few of them recognized her. Some looked in awe while others looked judgingly at her.

Taecyeon didn't seem to notice nor care of the sudden group that formed around the two. He was too busy talking to  the manger about what is the best cell phone. There was nothing for Yoona to do but wait while people stared at her. Usually Yoona would distract herself from feeling any unwanted emotion but with nothing to do, she grew more nervous and scared. 

"Great. I'll take this phone" Taecyeon smiled, handing the phone back to the employee to wrap up. 

He glanced down at the now stiff Yoona. Her eyes were unfocused and her breathing were short and quick. 

"What's wrong?"

"I want to go" Her voice barely audible, "I want to go home" Though there was no changes in her facial expression, he could hear the hint of fear in her voice that others wouldn't have noticed.

Taecyeon nodded, "We're almost done" He began rubbing her arm, hoping to calm her down.

Once he received his purchases he led them back to the packing lot, using his large body to push through the crowd and his arm covering her when needed. 

He heard her sigh with relief once they got into the car. Her head leaned back with her eyes closed. Her breathing had slowed down and her body had relaxed onto the passenger seat. 

He hesitated before he said, "I didn't think it was going to be busy today..." 

He sighed when Yoona didn't reply. Yoona was in her own world now. 

He clenched the wheel, angry with himself for allowing Yoona to feel scared.

He promised himself to never allow Yoona to deal with such a situation under his watch. 


 

Days passed uneventfully.

They had fallen into a comfortable routine that Taecyeon had accustomed with. He had grown to enjoy the silence during their meals. Even doing chores didn't seem a bother when Yoona would talk to him about work or whatever she was reading at the time. Half of the time he wasn't even listening, he was simply appreciating Yoona's effort in making their "partnership" work. Whether it was watching television in the living room or working on paperwork in the office, they were spending more and more time together.

After another wonderful dinner, the couple found themselves on the couch. While Taecyeon searched through the T.V guide for a suitable movie, Yoona was busily reading a book.

"What about this movie?" 

Yoona looked up from her book, "Sure" 

She set her book down as Taecyeon clicked play before turning off the lights. 

Other than the random comment Taecyeon make about a scene in the movie, they watched in a comfortable silence. An hour into the movie, Taecyeon was surprised to find Yoona fast asleep, leaning on his arm. He was too engrossed in the movie that he failed to notice that Yoona began drift into slumber. 

She looked calm and at peace. Breathtaking. The more he spent time with her, the harder it was for him to deny her beauty. Her independence and determination was enough to render him speechless. 

Through the remainder of the movie he allowed Yoona to sleeping on him, and when the movie had ended, he had carried her in his arms and gently placed her in bed without waking her up. 

After getting ready for bed, he found himself falling asleep with a smile on his face.

  


 

He raced through the busy streets of Seoul, trying to find the nearest open convenient store he could find. After parking between two parking spots, he briskly walked into the store. The young female employee jumped at Taecyeon's entrance. 

"Ah.. Where are the - Ah you know..." Taecyeon turned a shade of red, unable to complete his sentence. 

The employee brows met, "Excuse me?" 

Taecyeon rubbed the back of his neck, feeling his body heat up from embarrassment.

"Female products..." He could tell he was turning a bright shade of pink, "What medicine works best for menstruation cramps and headaches?"

The female employee suppressed a laugh as she spoke, "Aisle three, on your right" 

He dropped his head low, ashamed.

He couldn't believe that he was out in the middle of the night, buying sanitary pads and medicine for Yoona. Never once had he face this kind of embarrassment but he couldn't leave Yoona in such pain from her mensuration cycle. He had never seen Yoona in such physically pain, though she tried to hide it the whole day. She often didn't get cramp or headaches but when she did, it felt like someone was continuously kicking her stomach and pounding her head. For the whole day, she tried to ignore her headache. Unfortunately when she came home from work, her headache intensified along with her painful cramps. After dinner, Taecyeon found Yoona in fetal position, clutching into her stomach. 

He looked at the shelves of medicine specifically for females beside the sanitary pads, feeling overwhelmed with the amount of products. After 10 minutes of deciding what to buy, he just grabbed on kind of brand. By the time he came to the cash register, he was carrying two baskets of medicine and pads causing the worker to almost choke on her drink.

"Wow..." She mumbled as she continued to scan his purchases, "You're the second guy to come in tonight to buy practically the whole aisle. He looked as embarrassed as you did too, sir"  

Taecyeon frowned, wishing for silence. 

Across town, Yoona laid in pain. She hadn't moved since Taecyeon left half an hour ago. Yoona would've felt ashamed of having Taecyeon seeing her vulnerable but the pain was too much to bare for her to think properly. She was so consumed with her physical pain that she didn't hear Taecyeon enter the bedroom nor did she feel the movement on the bed. 

"Yoona?" He called but with no avail, "Are you okay? 

He leaned over her, brushing away the hair that had fallen on her face. This surprised Yoona, causing her to flinch. She wasn't use to people touching her face. She pushed herself by her elbows and leaned against the headboard. Her face no longer showed any traces of pain as it did when he first found her. Now she looked tired as if the life had been drained out of her. 

Yoona opened her eyes when she heard the shuffling of bags, "Wh-what is all of this for?" 

Taecyeon chuckled nervously, "I didn't know what brands you used so I just got one of each" He then dumped all the bottles of pills on the bed.

Her eyes widen at the sight of all the bottles when cramps began to intensify once again. Her hands clutched the bedspread to stop herself from yelling in pain

Taecyeon frowned at the sight of Yoona in pain. He quickly picked out the brand of medicine that the female cashier had reccommened. 

"Take these" He handed her two pills and a glass of water. 

He continued to watch her until her breathing calmed down and her hands released the sheets. She had managed to fall asleep. He cleared all the bottles and placed them back unto the bag before he gently lifted her up to tuck her into bed. 

She sighs unconsciously as she turns away from him to face the window.

The sound of his ringtone interrupted the comfortable silence. 

"Hey Taec" It was Junsu, "Are you coming yet? It's already 10pm!" 

He mentally curses in his head, completely forgetting that the guys had plan to hang out for the night. Seeing a girl in pain and having to embarrass myself in front of a convenient store worker could make you forget things.

"I'll be there soon" He said briefly before hanging up. 

He grabbed his phone and wallet, placing them at his back pocket. But before he could leave, he walked over to Yoona and pulled the blanket closer to her. He placed another glass of water and the bottle of pills just in case she woke up with pain. 

"I'll be back" He whispered as if Yoona was able to hear. 


 

"Oh Taec. Hey" There stood at the front door of Chansung's apartment was Junsu, "I would've thought you would've been Wooyoung since he called hour ago saying he was already on his way..."

Taecyeon removes his shoes, "I'm sure he has a perfectly good reason to why he's late" 

"You don't seem fazed by Wooyoung's strange behavior"

Taecyeon wouldn't call it strange but Wooyoung hasn't been exactly the same since the trip to the Philippines. His sarcastic remarks and rude comments still spill out of his mouth from time to time. He's cranky but not as much as before, he seems happier. From what he heard from the other guys, he hasn't been to a club or any social event that required women in revealing clothing. Wooyoung had been spending a lot of time at his parent's house on the out skirt of Soeul, something he rarely did. Taecyeon also heard from Tiffany that the two of them have been spending time together, going out to lunch and such.

Taecyeon, being naive, doesn't seem bothered by any of these changes in his friends. All his mind has been focused on the company and Yoona and from time to time Yuri.

Taecyeon pats his friend's shoulder before walking into the living room, "He'll be here soon, don't worry your too much"

 


 

"God damn it woman!" Wooyoung released a much needed sigh, "You almost gave me a heart attack with those cramps of yours" 

Taeyeon, who is now able to walk, shoots him a glare, "Hush it! It wasn't that bad" 

"That bad?" His expression almost makes Taeyeon laugh but she holds in it because it will only add fuel to Wooyoung's fire, "I thought you were going to die in the car!" 

On their way home from Wooyoung's mother's house for dinner, Taeyeon started to receive painful cramps. The unexperienced Wooyoung was frightened by the sight of Taeyeon groaning and whining in his passenger seat. He had to pull over after almost having a heart attack. Taeyeon then had to calm him down before telling him that she need pain relievers for cramps and -

"Hell no Tae!" He yelled, "I'm not getting you more pads! Who do you take me for?" 

Taeyon groaned as pains shot through her lower stomach, "You, ow, owe me! I got you a date with Tiffany!"

His eyes narrowed at the small woman. She sure knew how to push his buttons and take advantage of him.

He sighed, defeated "I hate you Taeyeon" 

"Please, just drive!" 

Taeyeon's voice brings him back to reality,

"Don't you have to leave?" 

Wooyoung glares, "Are you trying to kick me out after all I've done for you?" 

"No" She defends herself, "Didn't you say you were hanging out with the guys?"

He immeditatly stands up from the couch he was laying on, " " 

"Language!" Taeyeon warns and he apologizes. He grabs his phone from the coffee table and makes his way to the front door. 

"Have fun and be safe!" She greets him farewell from the door, watching him as he walks to his car

Wooyoung waves, "Bye! Stop getting cramps!"  

Taeyeon laughs and with a smile she replies, "I'll see what mother nature can do but thanks Jang!" 

 

Image

 

 author's note:

readers wanted cute moments, here you go. i honestly don't like this chapter at all but that might because i don't like overly romantic moments (i'm grumpy like that) so this is probably the most affectionate chapter i'll ever write about. this is pretty much a filler chapter. ugh. i hate this chapter, i'm sorry guys. 

whateves. i'm done

see you next time loves.

» layout credit