Chapter 11

Breaking the Ice Hearts

 

CHAPTER  Eleven

 

“How is she?” It was clear from his voice he was worried. He watched at Taeyeon descended from the staircase.

She nodded her head, “She’s sleeping now”

It was already midnight by the time they reached the mansion. Despite the late hours, Taeyeon agreed to help Yoona to bed. It was childish asking someone else for help to take care of his wife.  It was going to be another quite night for him, as Jessica and Jay had decided to stay over Junho’s place. 

“Alright thanks”

She just nodded in reply again. She began to get her things ready, not minding that Taecyeon was watching her every move.  In the back ground were the low voices coming from the television. Taecyeon tried to push away the thought that he would soon have to face Yoona. Even in her sleep, he still feared her. He felt as if he was the cause of the cliff incident.

“Did you happen to talk to Yoona?”

Taeyeon looked up from her back pack, confused. “Of course I did...”

“I mean... did she tell you why she – ah – ended up in the water?”

“Not a why but how”

“What do you mean?”

Taeyeon reassured him with a smile, “Don’t worry she didn’t try to kill herself. It was all an accident.”

“I’m sorry what? It’s not like she tripped on rocks because the wind was too strong”

She chuckled, “That’s right! I know it sounds surreal but Yoona has no reason to lie. She has no reason to purposely lose her life... now”

Taecyeon also choked on his own saliva. Was she aware of all the pain he caused Yoona? Clearly she wasn’t informed.

“Taeyeon... has Tiffany or Yoona ever mentioned about me”

She stopped to think before she continued picking up her things, “Yeah... they told me some things here and there, why do you ask?”

“I’m just curious”

“If you are wondering, I’m aware of what has happened since the wedding...”

“Oh...”

“If I had met you a couple of months ago- when I had met Tiffany- I would probably try to hurt you but after awhile I realized something”

She took a deep breath before she continued, her eyes full of wisdom and understanding,

“You never wanted this- from the start. You were forced into this marriage. Yoona didn’t really have a choice either. Both of you were going into this marriage with no real feelings for each other. So who do I blame? ... I know your actions weren’t the best- well... they were wrong period. I may have understood to your past behaviour... but that doesn’t mean I’m forgiving on what happens in the future. You may not love my cousin, but I do. I’m not telling you to love Yoona, but I’m going to warn you now... hurt my cousin in anyway, I will be back to hurt you. I promise you this.”

Her sweet voice had become serious; her understanding eyes had become sharp like a warning mother.  Just like he had Tiffany, Yoona had Taeyeon.

“I- I understand”

“I hope you understand where I’m coming from” Taeyeon smiled as finished picking up her things and putting her sweater on, “I’m not just Yoona’s cousin anymore. I’m also yours.”

“Thanks Taeyeon Noona” Taeyeon’s smile grew even better.

“Anytime, I left my number on the bed side if you need me. I’ll see my way out. Good Night Taecyeon” She waved before disappearing to the hallway. She made her way outside to the cold.

The dark setting wasn’t something she was fond of. She liked the bright sunlight. So many things had happened in the past 24 hours that she couldn’t even process everything.

This was the most she had spent time with her only cousin since Yoona disappeared a few years ago. They had once lived together, even before her mother’s sickness. When she turned 20, Yoona had packed up and left only leaving a note. A note stating she couldn’t bear putting her Aunt and Uncle through so many burdens that her and her mother had put on them. The exact note that brought Taeyeon to tears for weeks because she lost her best friend. But she respected Yoona’s choice and never looked for her.

It was only shortly after a year when Yoona had come to Taeyeon for a favour.

“It’s Taeyeon... right?”

Taeyeon looked up, surprised to find only the curious Wooyoung.

“Yes, I’m Taeyeon”

“Oh...” He drifted off awkwardly, “What are you doing here?”

She smiled now realizing how tired she was, “I was just here to make sure Yoona was alright. Why are you here?” She didn’t want to talk anymore, she just wanted to sleep.

“I just wanted to check up on Taecyeon”  He said smoothly

“That’s nice” She looked away, “There is my ride. I should go. Good night Wooyoung”

“Are you sure? That taxi doesn’t look safe. I’ll give you a ride” Instinctively his “manners” kicked in. Though he didn’t have an attraction towards her, she was still a woman.

“Thanks but no thanks, I’ll be fine” She smiled before waved off.

“Come on, I’m not going to bite. Let me give you a ride. It’s not safe to ride in the taxi in the night”

She sighed in defeat, “You win”


The ride home was silent but Wooyoung liked it better this way. At least this girl named Taeyeon wasn’t the chatty type. How can you make-out with a girl if they are always talking? But it’s not like he wanted any ual contact with the short girl beside him. She wasn’t even y. She seemed too innocent and cute for his likely.

It bothered him that he couldn’t even catch a glimpse of Tiffany. He had hoped that she was home. His plans were unsuccessful. Now he was giving a ride to someone he barely knew.

“Taeyeon, how’d you meet Tiffany?”

No reply.

“Taeyon...?”

Nothing.

“She’s sleeping...” He spoke to himself.  He only caught the glimpse of her shut eyes.

She must have been really tired.

Great... she’s not use to me anymore.


He woke up with a mild headache with little recollection of the last few hours. Wooyoung woke up to the sound of ringing and unwillingly he rose up from his bed only to put on his shirt that lay on the floor.

“Hello?”

“... I’m sorry. I must have called the wrong number. I was looking for a Taeyeon”

There was a buzzing sound from his ears, but maybe that was from all the alcohol he drank from last night.

“Taecyeon?”

“Wooyoung? What the hell? Why do you have Taeyeon’s phone?” The voice on the other line gave a worried yet annoyed tone, “Don’t tell me... please don’t tell me... Come on Woo!”

“Shut up will you?” Wooyoung hissed, “I have a guest... It’s not Taeyeon don’t worry!”

“What the hell are you doing with Taeyeon’s phone?”

“AH!” He hissed as someone beside him was still sleeping, “Didn’t you call for a reason? I’d be gladly to hang up now!”

“YAH! I need you – well Taeyeon” He took a loud sigh, “We’re in the news again...”

“So can’t your family cover it up again?” He asked too casually, as he tried to get dressed.

“They have a film of Yoona at beach...”

“Seriously?”

“Yeah... can you just find Taeyeon and bring her to the mansion. I don’t want to leave Yoona alone since Tiffany isn’t coming till tomorrow” Wooyoung’s eyes widen at the name of Taecyeon’s sister, “Thanks man.... Oh I think Yoona is awake” And without warning the line went dead.

--Part Two (March 18, 2011) --

“Do you know how long I’ve been waiting for you?”

He watched as Taeyeon descended down the hill and out of the gated university. She was wearing ripped jeans with oversized hoodie.  He expected a flustered Taeyeon, blushing at his sudden appearance. Except she just walked passed him, leaving him in embarrassment while other girls giggled in the back ground.

He pushed himself from the hood of his car and began following the shortie.

“Hey... Hey you!.. YAH TAEYEON!” He might have looked like an idiot but she wasn’t aware of how much strings he had to pull just to find her!

Well just one string: Chansung. The maknae had connections all over Korea, Japan and Philippines.  He only waited less than half an hour before Chansung called back with not only what school she was enrolled in but along with her schedule.

He was in such a rush that he left his guest (which he had recollection of her name) sleeping with the maid to clean up the mess.

Taeyeon took the earphones from her ears. She could have sworn someone called her. She shrugged before taking a step further but suddenly got stopped. She turned around in utter confusion.

“Wooyoung?” There stood a handsome young man, dressed in black clothing with his black leather reflecting the sun’s light. He had dark shaded covering his small eyes only showing a slight frown. “What are you doing here?”

“I need you to come with me right now”

She responsed quickly, “I’m sorry, I can’t” With that she turned around, walking off, leaving Wooyoung annoyed for the second time today.

“Oh you aren’t walking away from me again!” He quickly grabbed her small wrist pulling her back to face him.

“What are you doing?” She half yelled, half whispered.

Their scene was beginning to catch the attention of people.

“Are you aware of how much trouble I’ve gone through just to find you and now you are walking away?” He pulled her closer, whispering in her ear. He didn’t need others to hear him.

As soon as she was pulled in, she pulled out. “Oh god Wooyoung! You smell!” She couldn’t help but laugh shaking off his hand on her wrist to hold it up against .

He was in such a rush to leave he forgot to at least take a shower after a passionate night.

Thinking on his feet, he changed the topic. He shifted his eyes away from her innocent face to something that didn’t make him feel a mix of unwanted emotions; a tree.

“Have you seen the news today?” He couldn’t look at her face again.

She pondered for a moment, “Nope, I’ve been in school since 5 am... What is this all about?”

“Your cousin is in the news yet again. I need you to come with me” He took another step closer but she took another step back.

“I want to... I really do but I can’t. I have an important exam today that I can’t miss”

He took a deep sigh, “I’ll wait”

“Are you serious?”

He wasn’t sure himself what came over him but he knew that Taeyeon was the key into seeing Tiffany.

“I’ll just meet you at the front when you’re done, alright?”


“Please tell me you are coming soon?” He was hopefully that he wasn’t going to face the world alone. He needed someone, anyone.

Taecyeon had been alone (expect the few whispers of the maid). Yoona wasn’t willing to come out of their room. She had trapped herself in her studies unwilling to face reality. He didn’t expect it at all.

He had hoped to prepare in himself... think of a speech of what was in the news maybe how this shot had been shown when they were in a private area. Ultimately, he wanted a plan- something he could show Yoona that he was worth something.

But she woke up earlier than expect. He was in the midst of watching more of the news. By now some even had theories of what exactly happened but they weren’t close to the truth.  It only the sound of a dropping glass that made his heart beat faster in fear. He knew it was Yoona. He knew she had seen enough. He turned around to find Yoona with her eyes wide open and mouth in the shape of an “O”.

I guess being in shock isn’t an emotion people can hide well.

But as soon as he saw the shock in her face, she quickly composed herself. Her eyes shifted from the screen to the floor,

“I’ll clean this up” Her voice was just a mere whisper. She quickly walked off into the kitchen. She came back with a dish towel and began to clean up. He wanted to stop her, tell her that they needed to talk this through, but he couldn’t... something held him back. He didn’t want to push her anymore that he had in the pass. So he let her clean up in silent expect the sound of the announcers from the television.

“I’m –I’ll be in our room” With nothing else, she turned around and headed up the stairs never daring to show herself.

“I’m coming as soon at my meeting at 1:30 is finished” Tiffany showed stressed also. With her fashion line finally kicking off now, her life was just beginning but her family needed her. “Mother and father can’t come till tomorrow afternoon.”

“What is going to happen?” He was truly worried. Everything was being thrown out of proportion.

“The best choice is a press conference or maybe a simpler interview... but I really don’t think Yoona can handle such a personal atmosphere”

“A press conference Tiff? Really now?”

She took a tiring sigh, “I know but we aren’t left with many choices are we? This way it won’t be so personal... more on the business side of our lives”

He knew she was right... there wasn’t much choice since Yoona would always be put in a difficult position.

He was use to the limelight but she wasn’t.

“Yoona... how is she?”

“She hasn’t left our bedroom... I’m worried now”

For a while the line was silent before Tiffany took another sigh, “Leave her for now. Is Taeyeon coming soon?”

“Hmmm... From what I heard” Leaving out the part that Wooyoung had her phone and even took her home- out. Tiffany didn’t need to know this – there was so many things happening already in his nunna’s life., “She’s coming after a exam”

“Oh yes... I almost forgot she’s in school still.” Suddendly there were mumbling and moving clothing on the other line, “Sorry Taec, I need to go. I’ll see you soon!”  


Wooyoung had preoccupied himself with the university girls that came and gone. The girls were friendly knowing the fact he was important in this country just by looking at his clothes. They would come over just by glazing at his gorgeous smile, taken by it. It wasn’t a surprised he had received many numbers by now.

He was too busy with a group of girls that he never noticed Taeyeon coming down once again. She was happily talking to her friend. They were in a midst of a conversation when her friend had stopped, her eyes looking straight ahead.

“Hey, did you say that was your friend?” Taeyeon watched as her friend’s face suddenly became pale.

She looked to where her friend’s eyes were set on, “Do you mean Wooyoung” Despite the large crowd of girls, she was still able to spot him, “We aren’t friends really. He’s just helping me out with a something”

She didn’t respond back. Her friend was already half turn- walking back to the university, “Hmm... I think I left my ballet shoes in class!” She yelled over her shoulders before she quicken her steps.

Taeyeon watched for a few minutes before she turned back to Wooyoung- who by now was alone. She found her friend’s behaviour odd but she didn’t think too much of it at the time.

Her eyes met with Wooyoung’s. He had a change of clothes and now he wasn’t sporting his dark shades. She smiled automatically, waving slightly to him. She forced her legs to move forward. In all honesty, Wooyoung wasn’t someone she enjoyed being with. He seemed like a nice guy- only when he liked you or need something from you. At the moment she didn’t know whether he liked her or needed her.

“I’m glad you took my advice” She smiled before she opens the front door before he was able to.

She watched as he walked to the other side to the driver’s seat, “Come on, I don’t have time for this”

With that he started the car and drove off in high speed.

Taeyeon gripped her seatbelt, holding on to her dear life, “Slow down will you? I’d rather not die now!” She yelled, her body frozen.

She heard him chuckle before the car slowed down. She released her grip from the seatbelt and on to her lap. She had kept her eyes on the window, watching as everything around her was a blur. With the tinted windows, it had already felt like it was night time yet it wasn’t even pass 6 yet. The sun was still out, yet she was already feeling sleepy. She was running on 3 hours of sleep, something she wasn’t use to.

The only sound in the car was the music playing quietly in the background. Taeyeon had attempted to translate the songs that were all in English but failed – miserably. English wasn’t one of her strong points but it seemed it was one of Wooyoung’s. Once in awhile, Taeyeon could hear him hum the words to the unknown songs, to which was now making her in a more drowsy state.

She soon as she was ready to fall asleep, she was startled by a loud ringtone.

Stay- Mblaq...  Just like her’s.

But it couldn’t be her’s... It was coming from Wooyoung’s pocket. She watched as he reached for what she assumed was the ringing phone in his pocket. Strange... it looks like her own.

“Hey Taec... Yeah I have her, we are on our way now.... You want to talk to her? I think she’s sleeping right now... Alright, I’ll just see you then”

He hung up the phone.

“Wooyoung, is that my phone?” She asked, slightly bothered that one; he had her phone and two; he answered it casually- like it was his own.

“Oh!” He said startled, “You’re awake”

“Is that my phone?” Now eyeing the phone on his lap, she could swear that was her phone.

He throws it on to her lap as it was a toy, “You left it last night”

She didn’t know how to reply without getting even more annoyed so she kept shut and continued to stare at the window.

Usually Wooyoung would say some charming words to win over her heart, but he knew when to use his charms- and this wasn’t one of them. He had analyzed her – like he had done so many times in the pass- she had a hidden temper. Behind her innocent smile was bottled up anger and frustration. She was just like many other girls expect she didn’t seem like the type to break down and cry but-

“Hey Tiffany” She answered her phone, whispering.

Just by her name, his heart skipped a beat. Automatically, he listened closer just to hear their conversation.

“Yeah, I’m on my way now actually... My test?” She let out a small chuckle, “It wasn’t bad. How is everything there?... Really?” She laughed again. They continued to have small talk.

He tuned out the cheerful small talk until he noticed Taeyeon’s voice got softer and sad. Automatically his ears began listening again...

“She’s going to be fine... I’m sure of it” Despite being sure of herself, she sounded worried. She couldn’t help recall all years of Yoona’s “darken” past.

Taeyeon had hoped that her lovely cousin had reached the end of the dark tunnel, but does it seem like there was no ending...

“I’ll just you tomorrow when you come back”

That was it... all he needed to hear.

Taeyeon hung up, her eyes instantly looking down at the phone.

Wooyoung was happy, Taeyeon was a different story.


They had arrived the gated community without the realization of the cameras following them. Oblivious to camera shots being directed to them as they knocked at the front door. 

They were welcome come in by one the maids, leading them into the living room where Taeceyeon had fallen asleep on the couch. With the mutual understanding, Taeyeon moved towards the staircase with Wooyoung drew closer to the couch.

Taeyeon softly knocked on the bedroom door.

No reply.

She knocked again.

No reply.

Finally she opened the door that led her to find Yoona sleeping on the bed with a bunch of textbooks and notebooks surrounding her. Her skin looked pale, making the dark circles under her eyes more noticeable.

She moved closer taking one slow step at a time until she was beside Yoona. She sat herself, pushing all the hair in front of Yoona’s face. Her breathing was light almost inaudible. She had seen her in this state once too many times.

Yoona was 12 at the time when her father had died in a car accident. She locked herself in her bedroom for days... with little food. When someone was able to break into the door, Yoona had buried herself in her books. She had read over 10 chapter books.

Taeyeon learned this was how Yoona learned to deal with her problems. She knew it wasn’t healthy but she didn’t know what to do.

Yoona stirred in her sleep before she blinked a couple of times,

“Afternoon Yoona” She smiled, grabbing Yoona’s cold hand, “How are you feeling?”

Yoona pushed herself up, grabbing a textbook with her free hand. “I’m fine” She began scanning the textbook.

Taeyeon continued to watch Yoona with a heavy heart.

Was she a bad cousin if she didn’t want to see her loved one hurt?

“Did you get something to eat? You must be hungry”

“I’m fine” She repeated once again.

Taeyeon rose up, “I’ll get you something to eat, alright?”

Yoona didn’t answer back but continued to read.

Taeyeon could feel close up but stopped the tears from forming in her eyes.

She needed to be strong... someone needed to be.


 Nickhun had arrived shortly after Wooyoung and Taeyeon, also unaware of the cameras that stood infront of the gates- hidden behind the trees and bushes.

He found the two boys watching the television – to be exact the channel that only presented celebrity news and rumours. The private life of the rich and famous was nothing to people who wants to know everything.

He was use to them... the paparazzi, the crazy fans, the rumours. He was singer. With this chosen career meant losing his privacy.

Since there wasn’t a lot to hide, he wasn’t afraid.

Taeyeon walked down the stairs and quickly hide the sadness with a cheerful smile but Nickhun had noticed.

“Nickhun, hello!” She reached the bottom of the stairs, “How are you?”

“I’m a bit tired from the flight, but other than that I’m wonderful”

She nodded her head, “That’s good to hear”

“Where is Yoona?”

Despite watching television, Taecyeon’s ears were listening to the conversation.

“She’s...” Finally her cheerful facade dropped, “I don’t know... I’m worried”

Nickhun nodded, “Why don’t you have a rest with the guys while I speak to Yoona myself. Maybe I can help out”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure” He gave her a dashing smile, before leaving her with the boys.


He had knocked a couple of times, each time with no answer. By the 5th time, he decided to open the door himself.

He found Yoona on the bed with books surrounding her. She didn’t seem to notice his presences. He couldn’t help but notice her natural beauty despite her appearance.

He watched her for a few minutes before he realized that he was being to cross the line between normal and creepy.

Clearing his throat, he was able to receive her attention.

She started at him, her lips pressed into a thin line.

“I heard you’ve been here all day”

She watched cautiously as he removed the space between them, sitting at the end of the bed.

“You must be hungry...”

She instantly answered, “I’m fine”

He felt the need to see more than her blank facial expressions. He wanted to understand her without having to decipher her.

“What are you studying?” Changing the subject hoping to open her up

He took a textbook reading over the text.

“Is this what you wanted to do in life?”

“I wanted to be a doctor”

“Why didn’t you pursue it?” He watched her facial expression, but there was no change in them.

“Because I couldn’t”

He left it at that, not wanting to push her any farther.

“You know when I was younger I use to be afraid of growing up? I use to pretend I was still that little 8 year old without a care in the world even though at the time I was already 9? I probably sound stupid right?

Yoona just continued to watch him as if she was thinking, why are you telling me this?

“I realized something after that... You can’t stop something that has already begun. You just need to face the facts and hope that things end up alright. You can run from reality but you can never hide from it.”

They sat in silence. He watched as Yoona began soaking in his words. She looked as if she was struggling. Her lips slightly pouted and her eyebrows drew closer.

“Why don’t we get something to eat?”

Yoona watched his face- fool of hope. It took her a few minutes before she replied.

She nodded her head.


The three were seated promptly on the couch in the living room; all eyes on the television. Taeyeon ’s eyes flickered back and forth from the door to the screen. Taecyeon had his ears listening to any sound from the upstairs, while Wooyoung mindlessly watched as the people in the box continued to speak on the rumours regarding Yoona.

Taeyeon’s eyes caught the door open. Nickhun was holding Yoona from the back. A smile began to form on her face.

Taecyeon, as well now turned around to find the two descending down the stairs. There was a small part of him that wished it was him that helped Yoona, but it was washed away by the guilt realizing he was the one that put her in this position.

 Nickhun continued to hold her waist as they walked down the stairs, she didn’t shake his hand off and he was glad.

Her eyes immediately landed on the zoomed camera that was directed on her face. She felt sick to the stomach. She wanted to run back to the comfort of her textbook but it wouldn’t do anything good. The problem will still be there where she hides or not. Atleast this way, she wasn’t fooling herself anymore.  

“Welcome to reality” He whispered into her ear.

 

Image

 

author's note: I hope you guys are updated with this part. I should be writing my essay on Gandhi but I told myself I would finish this chapter today, so you guys are very lucky. I really don't like editing because I never catch it with my eyes

Also thank you to Mark517 for making the wonderful poster!

oh oh... who is taeyeon's friend?

» layout credit