Chapter 22

Breaking the Ice Hearts

CHAPTER TWENTY Two

 

The four arrived extremely late because of Wooyoung’s tardiness. This played to Taeyeon’s benefit because she had been worried of being recognized as a previous trainee that was originally the leader of the now world-famous girl group, Girls Generation. Luckily for Taeyeon most of the people she had known previously had left early but despite this, her stomach turned in fear of meeting the one person she wished to avoid.

Hyoyeon had convinced her to be her date for the SM celebration party because she did not want to be alone. Taeyeon was basically guilt trip into agreeing, only to find out that Junsu and Wooyoung would also be attending the party as last minute invites.

Taeyeon, Hyoyeon and Junsu were enjoying the party together, while Wooyoung ventured alone. It was all fun and exciting for Taeyeon, that it temporarly made her forget about being recognized. Hyoyeon and then later Junsu were dragged away by their friends/co-workers. Now left alone, she moved to a more secluded area on the patio, away from the party. She enjoyed loneness by leaning on the railing, watching the ocean waves.

Her peacefully time was cut short when Wooyoung grabbed the sandwich in the hand. Their relationship, even if you call it that, was something questionable. Every conversation always ended in an argument to which Taeyeon would always fight the urge to pull his hair out.

YAH!” She said too loudly that those near them looked at them, she bowed in apology and then slapped Wooyoung’s arm, “Look what you did!”

With a smug look on his face, that would normally make girls blush but Taeyeon frown more, he finished the last piece of the stolen sandwhich, “What are you doing alone?”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, “Why are you here? Whose number did you pick up?”

Almost too naturally his arm draped around her shoulders, “And cheat on my fake girlfriend? Never”

Sometime between their arrival and tonight’s event, the tension between the two disappeared. Wooyoung wasn’t as moody as before and slowly became more playful with her. Now she had also taken the role of babysitting him whenever they were at out, a special request from his mother. He would often flirt with girls and it would be Taeyeon’s job to pull by the ear and dragging him in a girl-free zone. Overall she’s done a good job as his babysitter.

 “Please save me the lies” Lightly slapping his stomach, “I hope she was at least pretty”

“Not as pretty as you” He said playfully, ruffling her hair.

Taeyeon was quick to learn never to take Wooyoung’s words seriously; he was after well-known as Casanova. It also helped that she had many close friends that were male so she was use to all the skinship.

The two continued their conversation, not realizing that they weren’t alone anymore.

Taeyeon?” Hearing the voice caused Taeyeon to freeze on the spot, “Is that you?”

Wooyoung turned to the man who called Taeyon's name, he gave a charming smile “Oh hey Leeteuk. You know Taeyeon?”

Hegets a glance at Taeyeon. Her face is an unreadable expression, her eyes doesn’t leave Leeteuk. He also notes her now rigid bod, her small hands formed into tight fist. He finally notices the tensed atmosphere.

“Yeah… We’re old friends” Wooyoung notes there is an underlying meaning in her answer.

Leeteuk stiffly nods his head in agreement, “Old friends…”

The next few minutes was filled with silence. Neither Taeyeon nor Leetuek were willing to speak and Wooyoung didn’t know what to say to uplift the tensed atmosphere. He couldn’t understand where all the negatively was coming from or did he understand how Taeyeon, a little nobody could know Leetuek, a famous idol could ever meet when their worlds were so far apart. Unconsciously, Wooyoung pulled her closer to him, causing both Taeyeon and Leetuek to look at him with a mixture of shock and confusion.

Leetuek cleared his throat, “Oh sorry, I must’ve disturbed you two. My cellphone clearly isn’t here so I’ll just check elsewhere”

Even when he left, Taeyeon’s eyes remained rooted on where he was standing just a few minutes ago. Her body was still tensed and her face displayed no emotion. It was a scary resemblance to Yoona’s typical empty expression.

“What was that all about?” Wooyoung eyed Taeyeon.  

“Huh? Did you say something?” Her reply was delayed but at least now her body had loosen up.

She didn’t give him time to question her strange behavior because she quickly excused herself to the bathroom and remained with Hyoyeon for the remainder of the night. And after meeting a few girls, Wooyoung forgot the encounter.

 


 

 

The trip to the Philippines proved better than the previous trips. Not only has Taecyeon made good impression on current and future investors, he has also secured a number of contracts with the assistance with Yoona. The trip also marked a new chapter in their relationship. Without realizing it, he began learning new things about his wife.

She was greatly afraid of thunder and lightening.

She was a talented cook.

She ate all her vegetables except carrots.

She reviewed his work right before sleeping.

She was in bed by 10pm and asleep before midnight.

 

Though this marked a new chapter in their relationship, he was never prepared for the news his parents brought.

The morning after arriving, the couple was called into his parent’s office.

“Next week, Yoona will be working at the company”

Both knew about this, and Yoona was suppose to work with Donghae, the head of the Finance Department before working Taecyeon overseeing all the departments in the company. Yoona had already been preparing even before the trip. Taecyeon tuned out his parents voice, as they preceded to hand Yoona some important documents and information regarding her job. He didn’t understand the reason for his presences when all they needed to talk to was Yoona. And what seemed like forever, the conversation finally ended. He began to get out of his chair when his father stopped him and asked him to sit back down.

“Aside from Yoona’s new role in the company, we have also brought you both in for another reason”

From the tone of his mother’s voice, Taecyeon knew he wasn’t going to like what he’ll be hearing next…

“Ever since the revelation of Yoona as your wife, there has been paparazzo stalking the mansion day and night”

“Why don’t you hire more security?”

His father shook his head, “Photos are still being published despite the increase of security”

To make his point further he laid down a few magazines and newspapers of their return home from the Philippines. There were shots of them getting out of the car and entering the mansion. His blood began to boil knowing that his and family’s privacy were being disregarded for profit, “It’s come to the point that even the workers are feeling uncomfortable with all the attention”

His eyes remained on a photo of himself leaving the mansion, “What do you plan to do?”

There was a moment of silence as the two older parents exchanged glances; “We think it’s best if you and Yoona have your own place”

Taecyeon was taken back, “What? You can’t be serious?”

“We don’t like the idea ourselves but it seems like the only solution as of now”

He tries to wrap his head around the idea of living with only Yoona but failed. He couldn’t picture living with Yoona just by himself…

“When are we suppose to move and where?”

His mother handed him the details of a penthouse suit on it’s own floor with high security, underground parking, a separate elevator. “We have you two set to move on Thursday”

His head shot up, “What?!

 


 

 

 

It was already Wednesday, four days since Taecyeon was informed of the sudden move. It was simple to say the whole house went into frenzy. It seemed that only Tiffany was excited about the move because it meant that Tiffany and Jessica were able to shop for furniture and decorate the apartment. Taecyeon had been spending his days packing his belongings if he wasn’t assisting his parents with the company.

Currently, he was in the closet packing the last of his belongings before dinner with the boys. In the midst of packing, his eyes caught the sight of a medium-sized black box that had been hidden away behind his accessories. After reaching for the black box, he held in his hands, only able to stare.

He fought through the waves of unwanted emotions and opened the lid. The box was filled with old memories of the girl he loves. He noticed the two identical rings except one was smaller than the other. Taking the larger ring and placed in on his finger, still fitting perfectly.

With the smaller ring in his other hand, he stared at the engravings, I’ll always be yours –Taec . Inside in own ring was a similar engraving I’ll always love you –Yuri

 

“Taecyeon, where are you taking me?” Taecyeon walked behind her with his hands covering her eyes. He gently pushed her forward to an unknown location.

His smile widen, “You’ll have to wait and see”

Yuri giggled, “Alright” She placed her hands on top of his,” Just don’t make me fall, okay?”

He led her further up the hill; careful with each step he took. It was a big night for him and he didn’t want to ruin the perfect night. He had spent the last few weeks planning this night. Nothing was going to ruin his night.

“Just a few more steps… And stop”

He went forward and faced Yuri. She was still blindfolded but a small smile played on her lips, clearly enjoying his surprise so far.

He took a deep breath before he removed the blindfold that covered her eyes.

It was blurry at first but when her eyes focus on the beautiful view of the whole city. Her smile grew wider as moved closer to the edge. The view was breathtaking. The city lights contrasted the dark night.

“This is so beaut-“ She turned around to face Taecyeon, “Wha-What are you doing?”

Taecyeon was on bended knee and in his hand was a black box that displays a beautiful diamond ring. He assumed the look on her hair and the tone of her voice was due to surprise.

“Yuri, will you marry?”

She blinked,”Huh?”

He chuckled, “Just say yes, my love”

“Yes?”

That was enough to bring him to his feet with a large grin face. His heart was still beating like crazy. He placed the ring on her finger and embraced her into a warm hug. He snuggled into her neck; enjoy every moment of this special night.

“You just made me the happiest man on earth”

Yuri was still confused. What did she just agree to? She bite her lip out of shame and guilt…

 


 

 

 

She scanned the nicely decorated bedroom that she was supposed to call her own. She touched the green comforter, her eyes scanning the room. Jessica had done a wonderful job designing the whole apartment; she particularly liked the bedroom because out of the room, it made her feel almost at home. The color green reminds of her father since it was his favorite color and often wears green around the house.

Once again, her life was being shaken up and turned upside down. Everything has changed and Yoona never handled change well. Not only had she lost her appetite, she was also not sleeping well. She consumed herself in being the perfect daughter-in-law by diligently learning as much as she can about the company. If she were not at the home office, or in the kitchen with the cooks, she would be dragged store to store by Tiffany and Jessica. Despite being physically tired from all the shopping, cooking and paperwork, her mind would run wild at night and this kept her from sleeping normally. She spent her nights reading from self-improvement to horror novels.

“Oh? You aren’t sleeping yet?” Taecyeon’s voice startled Yoona. He out from the shower, clean and clothed in his night attire.

Yoona was too consumed in her own thoughts to hear that the water stopped running and the bathroom door had opened. She shook her head after she regained her composure, “I need to get ready for bed”

Taecyeon moved from the door, allowing Yoona to enter the bathroom. After a few minutes, he heard the water running. It had been a long day of moving and unpacking. Fortunately many of the furniture were already set up thanks to Tiffany and Jessica but many came disassembled. With the help of his friends, they assemble the rest of the furniture, which took the whole day. They only stopped to eat Yoona’s home cooking. After a long day of moving and assembling, the new bed was the only thing he looked forward to.

After twenty minutes, Yoona immerged out of the bathroom, her hair still dripping with water. It was little after midnight and though she was physically tired from the past week, her trouble mind was keeping her from a peaceful sleep. Tiptoeing out of the bedroom, making sure not waking the already sleeping Taecyeon.

Taecyeon stirred in his sleep, his arm stretching to the other side of the bed. Realizing the empty space beside him, he worriedly woke up. The clock read 4:32. The apartment was dark and quiet. In the search to find Yoona, he found opened boxes in the study room. It seemed that Yoona kept herself busy by unpacking all the books. Since Yoona was nowhere to be found in the study room, he continued his search through the guest bedroom, gym, and living room. There in the dinning room was Yoona sleeping on the table with her head resting on her arm. With more empty boxes around her, he could only guess that Yoona unpacked all the appliances for the kitchen.

With three large strides, he closed the gap between himself and the sleeping beauty. The moonlight serving as the only source of light. He tucked her long brown hair that covered her face. In her state of unconsciousness, she looked beautifully at peace. He also didn’t miss the bag under her eyes. Careful not to wake her up, he carried her in his arms back to the bedroom. Gently he placed her down on the bed. Her body automatically realized at the touch of the soft bed. He tucked her in under the covers and made brushed away all the hair covering her face before falling back to sleep himself.

 


 

 

 

Yoona took another sip of her coffee. It was already her second cup of the day but after another night of little sleep, she needed caffeine to keep her from falling asleep on her desk. After surviving her first day at work, she was feeling more confident with her work performance as the days passed. Donghae, her supervisor, was polite and didn’t seem to mind her cold attitude. His office was right beside hers and he would often check up on her every hour or so.

Her first day of work was full of stares and numbers and piles of paperwork. Everyone in the company was well informed about Yoona’s new position at the company so her arrival on Monday morning everyone literally stopped and stared at the couple as they made their way to the top floor to meet their parents. Yoona was too engrossed in her own thoughts along with her lack of sleep to hear all the whispers. After a quick overview of their duties, Yoona was introduced to Donghae. Donghae was to take Yoona under his guidance as the head of the financial department. On the otherhand, Taecyeon would already be working alongside his parents co-running the company. His office was beside his parents on the top floor while Yoona’s department and office were seven floors below him.

Yoona spent her morning under a pile of papers in her small office. Every hour, Donghae would pop out from the door and attempt to start a conversation. When it failed, he would check up on her work and happily surprised on how well she was doing despite it being her first day at work. One thing she learned from her first day at work was to always keep her office door closed. Employees from all departments had somehow found themselves at her front door. At first she didn’t mind but when whispers became louder, Donghae had to step out of his office and order them to get back to work.  

The couple expressed their exhaustion by letting out a relieving sigh on the elevator on their way home after clocking out on their third day of work. Since the two worked in different departments they rarely saw each other. The only time in the day they would see each other at work was in the morning, when they entered and in the evening, when they left.

He broke the silence by asking Yoona, “Did you eat your lunch today?”

“No” She said to honestly.

He had his personal secretary keep tabs on Yoona. His secretary informed him before leaving to pick up Yoona at her office that Yoona was getting praised for her wonderful work despite being new but she had also been missing meals in order to finish her job.

His annoyance was clearly visible on his face.

“We’ll start having lunch then”

 


 

“You seem to be in a rush”

Jokwon, Taecyeon’s adviser and old friend (but knew nothing of his real relationship with Yoona) was standing at doorway, watching the man work hard to finish his workload for the morning. Taecyeon made no reply and continued typing away on the computer. Never have seen his friend work so hard in his life, Jokwon moved close, taking a seat infront of Taecyeon.

“Just state what you want and leave” Taecyeon finally spoke.

Jokwon chuckled, unfazed with Taecyeon’s cold attitude, “I wanted to know if you wanted to go to lunch today”

“I’m done” His eyes lit up with accomplishment. He shut down his computer and began to clean up his desk.

“Yah yah!” He exclaimed loudly, “I’m still here, Taec!”

“Huh?” Taecyeon acknowledging Jokwon’s presences, “I thought you left. What is it you wanted?”

Jokwon was flabbergasted. “Alright, what’s the deal? You’ve been glued to your computer screen since you got here this morning"

By now, Taecyeon grabbed his car keys and wallet and was already out the door, “I’m going out to lunch, see you in an hour!”

Jokwon stood at the doorway, confused, just like everyone else on the floor. This was the first time Taecyeon left his office for leisure purposes. He liked to stay in his office unless he had a meeting to attend. His office was equipped with all the latest technology from a computer, two laptops, a flat screen television and a video game console.

Everyone, especially women, watched as he walked down the hall and into the elevator, paying attention to no one but the blackberry phone in his hand. After exiting the elevator, he made his way down the financial department straight to Yoona’s office. He walked through Yoona’s open door but stopped immediately at the doorway. 

Yoona was sitting comfortably in her black leather chair while Donghae was standing behind her. His left hand rested on the back of her chair and the other on the desk right beside Yoona’s hand. Donghae was incredibly close that he could probably rest his head on her shoulder. Yoona seemed unaware of their close proximity. It seemed that Donghae was showing something to Yoona on the computer.

“You see that column?” The hand on the desk, pointed on the computer screen, “The numbers shouldn’t be that high. You’ll need to check it over”

Yoona nodded her head and began clicking the mouse and typing on the keyboard.

Donghae leaned over her shoulder, their faces too close, “Yeah, that’s right”

“Are you ready to go Yoona?” There was an icy tone in his voice that quickly made Donghae jump back from Yoona. Donghae looked surprised and nervous but Yoona seemed unfazed by his appearance.

Taecyeon wanted to laugh as Donghae began to scratch the back of his neck, “Ah… Hey Taecyeon! I didn’t see you there”  

Yoona stood up, grabbing the cardigan that was on her chair. She made her way toward Taecyeon but stopped halfway “Thank you Donghae for your help. I’ll be leaving now”

Donghae sheepishly laugh, a stupid smile already forming “It’s not a problem! That’s what I’m here for!”

 


 

“Is Donghae always in your office?”

The question had broken the silence and startled Yoona. The whole car ride, no one dared to speak. Ever since they left Yoona’s office, Taecyeon was fuming with anger. The only conversation they had since they left the office was discussing what was good on the menu. They ate in silence, to which Yoona didn’t mind since all morning Donghae had been coming in and out of her office like he owned the place.

“Yeah”

Yoona watched as an unknown expression flashed across Taecyeon’s face. What?

He didn’t think she’d be so blunt and honest.

“And you are okay with it?”

Yoona was confused. Why he asked about Donghae? And what was making him angry?

“Yes. He’s my supervisor”

They stared at each other trying to figure out what the other was thinking.

Taecyeon sighed, annoyed with her answers, “Let’s go. I’m not hungry anymore”

 


 

“Word on the floor is that you yelled at poor intern Jongin?”

Jokwon had managed to enter Taecyeon’s room without any opposition from Taecyeon.

Since Taecyeon came back from lunch, his mood quickly went down. Anyone who came in his office faced the wrath of Taecyeon’s anger. Everyone on the floor worked in silence, afraid of making things worst. Jokwon, who had been gone most of the afternoon, was surprised when he arrived. The office floor was utterly dead silent and no one dared to look up even when Jokwon had greeted him or her.

If looks could kill, Jokwon should be dead right now “I’m not in the mood!”

“What happened at your lunch meeting?”

Taecyeon frowned at a recalled memory, “Nothing. Just leave”

Jokwon put his hands up in defeat and made his way out the door. Nothing could go through Taecyeon’s head when he was annoyed.

“Who’s Donghae?” Jokwon abruptly stopped at the random question.

Taecyeon pretended as if he didn’t ask the question and continued to do his work on the computer.

“Donghae? You mean Lee Donghae the one supervising Yoona?”

Taecyeon shifted his eyes from the screen to Jokwon then back to the screen. This indicated Jokwon was on the right track to whatever was bringing Taecyeon’s mood down.

“Nothing out of the ordinary, he comes from a good family, well-educated, clean criminal record… Seems like a nice guy from what I’ve heard. AH!- Actually there is something!”

“What is it?”

Jokwon smirked, enjoying the look on his friend’s face, “My assistant told me he can be flirty to attractive women”

Taecyeon’s head whip up. “What did you say?!”

“He tends to be very friendly to women he finds attractive… What does he have to do with anything?”

Taecyeon ignored his question and began fuming again, mumbling incoherent words.

“What about Yoona?” Jokwon was able to understand some of the words Taecyeon had been mumbling.

“Nothing. Nothing”

Ah! He was definitely on the right track now

“I think you said something along the lines of ‘Yoona is so blind. What am I going to do?’” Jokwon eyes danced with mischef, “Are you afraid that Yoona will fall for Donghae’s flirting ways?”

“YAH! Don’t be stupid!” Taecyeon exclaimed.

“Whatever you say” He began walking out the door again, “Oh! From what I heard, Donghae likes to visit Yoona often”

Jokwon smiled to himself, knowing he had left Taecyeon even angrier than before. 

It was cute to see Taecyeon jealous.

 

Image

 

 author's note:

i've basically cut the trip to the Philippines short because i really want to move on with the story. orginally when i began the story, it was meant to end at around 20-25 chapters but one thing led to another and here i am, no where near the end yet! this chapter really fasted forward and was a real big change for the main characters. i won't be focusing on subplots as much for now since i really want to speed up the storyline for the taecyoon. 

i think if you want chapters to come out faster, you'll actually need to remind to update once in awhile because i tend to get lazy!

leave me you thoughts, sugguestios, questions, anythinggggg!

please comment and upvote!

» layout credit