Chapter 15

Breaking the Ice Hearts

 

CHAPTER fifteen

 

The last two days has been the two most uncomfortable days of Taecyeon's life; from the silent car ride to 48 hours in the mansion alone. He was stupid to think Yoona was willing to let her guard down, especially to the guy who has hurt her so much already. He wasn't sure if his behavior was due to was beginning to care for her for her or he just pitied her or if he was trying to make up for all of the pain he caused her. But he had more to worry then why he is trying so hard to befriend Yoona now. 

Yoona's mother hadn't finished her story and he had already promised to Yoona he wouldn't see her unless she gave him permission (very unlikely). He thought of ideas of getting something out of Tiffany or his mother but all his ideas ended with his sister and mother with an apologetic face telling him 'I'm sorry Taec, I can't tell you. Yoona wouldn't be happy if I did. But then again he also didn't know if they knew the whole story.

But he couldn't think much of that because the past two days had been a total torture. He was trapped him because a request from his mother that he stay with Yoona wherever she wants to go. With Yoona avoiding him, he couldn't tell if Yoona wanted to do anything but stay at home doing the same routine for the past two days: He wasn't sure what time she exactly wakes up but the time he woke up (both days at 7:30) she was already out of bed, fully dressed. After getting ready, Yoona would have breakfast out for him. While he ate, she was busy with some of the maids, making the bed and vacuuming the bedrooms. When he would finish, he moved on the to the morning news while she had a three hour class with an old white haired man in the study room. By noon, she would step out of the study room the cook lunch. While she was busy cooking, Taecyeon would be in his private study room, looking over documents or he'd be in the den playing with his PS3. When his hunger took over, Yoona was already backing in the study room- he assumed doing homework. From the time 1-6pm he wasn't exactly sure what she did because on both days he napped from 1-3pm, when he woke up, she was locked in the study room. She was still locked in when the sun was beginning to set, Taecyeon would only see her coming out and entering the kitchen when he was in the living room with the documents he needed to read over. After dinner she would be in any room that he wasn't in, either reading or folding clothes. At around 11pm she would head to sleep.

He was also torture because he was stuck reading and approving documents that he wasn't exactly sure what they were about expect they were about the construction for a new building the Ok University. Any spare time he had was for the documents... It was pure pain in the . The only good thing about them was it took his attention to secretly watching Yoona (or the room she was in) to something actually productive. 

This morning Taecyeon had woken up extra early to pick up Tiffany at the airport with Yoona. Yoona had already beaten him and was already in the in-walk closet to pick out clothes. Between the closet doors, he yelled "Hmmm... After the airport we are suppose to go the Art University for a meeting with hmm... our parents. Tiffany said to wear the white ruffled shirt next to the shoes. Did you find it?....Then pair it with the dark green skort (skirt/shorts), she said there should be a tiny brown belt on it... Hmm I'll be the bathroom then. " 

He waited for a minute to see if Yoona would have any trouble before getting into the shower. Half an hour later, he got out of the shower. He dried his black hair with a towel and wrapped another around his waist. He stepped out of the room, Yoona sitting in front of the vanity with some maids curling her hair. The maids bowed their heads when they saw him through the mirror (and blushing) but Yoona acted as if he didn't see him. He sighed and walked into the closet to change.

He grabbed a white dress shirt and black dress pants paired with shiny black Italian shoes that were custom made for him. Most of his clothes were picked out by Tiffany. After he buttoned up his shirt and cuffed the sleeves, he exited the closet. 

"Where's Yoona?" He asked the maid who was tiding up the vanity. 

She turned around, bowing before replying "She's downstairs with the other maids. She's having some trouble with the heels Tiffany told her to wear" 

He nodded his head and ordered her to leave so he can style his hair in private.

After styling his hair, he walked down the stairs his eyes busy on his blackberry. When he reached the bottom of the stairs, he ordered one of the maids to get Yoona as they were leaving now. Grabbing the keys to his families’ black BMW he waited for Yoona outside. The weather was getting warmer as the days passed and soon it would be summer. He ordered one of his men to bring the car to the front and waited. 

A few minutes later, Yoona stepped out of the mansion. She didn't pay attention to when Taecyeon stared at her, instead she thanked the maids for their help and proceeded to the car. Taecyeon shortly followed behind her

"Sit in the front" He ordered. And Yoona followed. 

The ride to the airport was quiet expect for the radio playing. Both were consumed in their thoughts. He parked in the underground parking a lot away from the other cars.

Yoona didn't wait for his command and open the car door as soon as he parked. He too did the same, quickening his step so he was ahead of Yoona. 

He made sure Yoona was following him by listening to her footstep, "Wear this" He ordered.

Yoona hesitated in taking the sunglasses, “Wear it" He said it more softly and then she grabbed it out of his hand. 

They walked together, side by side by the time they entered the airport. Immediately they were greeted by two young men.

"The same waiting area from last time" Taecyeon told to one "And you, make sure no reports or cameras there this time" he ordered the other.

The workers both nodded their heads, "This way sir" Said the one on his left. 

They all walked together in one pace. The walk was once again silent, expect when the man on the right excused himself to talk to the security guards. 

As they walked farther, Yoona's steps became slower and she began trailing behind the two men. When Taecyeon realized she wasn't by his side any longer he stopped to turn around. Both Yoona and the man stopped in confusion.

He walked back to Yoona, who looked slightly confused. 

"Let's go" He said, grabbing her cold hand and began walking again. Due to her slow speed, he dragged her as they walked across the airport. He could already sense the presence of the cameras... How they knew he and his family were at all times were surprising. 

He looked up, already spotting lenses. "I thought they've hired more security guards" He shook his head in disappointed, "I'm annoyed I see cameras in plain sight..." 

With this Yoona looked up in curiosity but Taecyeon stopped her before seeing one, "Keep your head down" He said, pulling her closer to him. 

"This way sir" The man said, now fearing Taecyeon. 

He led them to a seclude terminal that was closed for cleaning. His hand gestured turned some empty chairs and Taecyeon dragged Yoona with him.

"Get us some water and snacks please. I don't want to wait on an empty stomach" He order the man who seemed already frighten by Taecyeon's strong image.

He nodded and began walking (more like running) away.

The time seemed too dragged by, as the two sat in silence. 

The airport surrounds were all new to Yoona. Her eyes wandered around her surroundings. It was much larger than a subway stop and much cleaner. The airport was probably the second largest building she's ever stepped on, her previous university coming in first and the hospital in third. 

Recalling the hospital, she automatically thought of her mother. They had started treatment recently and so far her body was taking chemo well. It was the second time her mother had leukemia. The second time didn’t really come as surprise and it didn’t hurt her heart as much as the first time. She didn’t have to hold back the tears because some part of her knew that this was a possibly of coming back. Good things didn’t happen often in her life, she didn’t expect it to suddenly change.

She remembered the when she heard her mother was diagnosis with leukemia for the first time.She recalled her heart stopping as Taeyeon told her the news through the phone. The sudden stop in time and everything seemed to be falling apart again. She could live without her mother right? She was living fine without her father for years now... If you think “fine” is living in constant expectation of losing something or someone sooner or later.

She received the call at work, after a shift. The only time any family member could get a hold of her, not that they did. They respected her wishes to be alone for the time being.

“Yoona...” The worried tone in Taeyeon’s voice alarmed Yoona.

Yoona was already preparing herself for something bad.

“Come home... Please, Yoona” On the other end, she could tell her cousin was breaking down into tears. Yoona’s heart gave a tight squeeze and she could feel her chest constricting.

“She is diagnosed- with leukemia” Yoona already knew who her cousin was speaking of, “Your mother Yoona”

It was as if life was being out of her. Everything felt so surreal. She lost all senses in her body. She wasn't sure how she ended the conversation with her cousin but everything didn't matter anymore. 

The image of her dead father popped in her mind. White and cold and dead. 

Was her mother going to end up the same?

Of course her mother overcame it, with the use of all of Yoona’s savings and her college fund. It didn’t matter that she was broke, all she wanted was her mother, alive and well. A parent that could still hold her; a parent that she could still hold on to.

Too consumed in her thoughts that she didn’t even noticed as Jessica and Jay walked towards them.

It was only when she felt a squeeze from her hand, she came back into reality. Her eyes met her husband, his eyes so clear and easy to read, so different from hers. His eyes searched for anything that could reveal how what she was thinking but came up with nothing. Her eyes were as cold and empty as it was when they first met.

He looked away first, directing his eyes on the other couple. Yoona followed. They were all smiles, holding hands as Jay yelled from afar, “HEY GUYS!” 

As they came closer, Taecyeon said to them "What are you guys doing here?" 

Jessica replied trying to sound as if she was hurt, "What's wrong with picking up my best friend?" 

"Sorry Jess" He said as they sat across from them, "I meant how'd you know Tiffany was coming today?"

She playfully rolled her eyes, "You don't think we keep in touch despite the distance?" 

He chuckled, "You're right" 

"I'm always right" She grinned. 

Jay gave a dry laugh but nonetheless agreed, "Alright honey, whatever you say"

That was the perfect image of a marriage. No distance between the two. No type of awkwardness and tension. Nothing of the sort except love. Jessica and Jay are no perfect couple, of course. They had their conflicts and many misunderstanding but it was clear they loved each other and was always willing to work out their differences. 


"Hmm" The worker hesitated, looking slightly scared, "Miss. Ok's plane has landed" 

Taecyeon looked up from his phone, standing up. Immediately Yoona rose from her seat, taking her place beside her husband. Without hesitation Taecyeon laced his fingers with Yoona's. 

"Thank you " Taecyeon said to the male worked, then turning around his friends, "Let's go" 

Taecyeon and Yoona kept up with the worker, with Taecyeon shooting question after question to the worker. 

Behind them, the other couple whispered upon each other about what they had seen a few moments ago. 

"You said Taecyeon didn't like Yoona" Jay said, confused. 

"I thought so too..." 

"What did Tiffany tell you?" 

"Nothing too much. Just some fights because of Yoona"

"Between Yoona and Taecyeon?"

"No, between Tiffany and Taecyeon" 

"Fights? They never fight..." 

"I know. Tiffany believes Taecyeon didn't like how everyone approved of Yoona so easily and not Yuri" 

"What does Yuri have to do with anything?"

"Honey... I think Taecyeon still loves her" 

He scoffed, "Why? She left him at -" 

"Shhh! We promised we would never talk about it..."  She quickly threw a glance at Taecyeon's back, "Especially since he is right infront of us" 

He shook his head in disappointment, "How can you love someone like that?" 


Their conversation was cut when they entered the terminal due to the fairly large crowd. There were men with large video cameras resting on their shoulders,others madly clicking away on the camera hoping for a shot of the newly public couple and people with mics and tape recorders shouting for a moment of their time. All behind the gate, with security guards blocking their entrance of the terminal. 

Taecyeon blocked the view of Yoon from the large crowd. 

"Keep your head down again" He warned her, "Don't even look at the crowd" 

She simply nodded, looking down at her feet. While others would love the amount of attention she was currently receiving, she hated it. She wasn't use to the limelight, at least no anymore. She could hear her name being called causing her body to freeze in reaction. Maybe this was too much to handle...

Noticing the tension in Yoona's body, Taecyeon squeezed Yoona's hands. She averted her eyes from her shoes to Taecyeon's face. His features soften the moment his eyes landed on hers. "It's okay to be scared. It happens" 

He gave her another squeeze but Yoona was already looking forward. She drew a breath as the doors opened. 

They waited strangers exited out the doors. Many confused by the sight of cameras. But finally exited Tiffany, the last one to exit the plane. Dressed causally, in a pair of dark-washed jeans, a pink Yale hoodie (Jessica`s gift) and a her sunglasses. 

She smiled to the cameras, giving a small wave to the crowd before she turned to meet with her  brother and sister-in-law.

Taking note of the linked hands, she walked over with a bright smile to quickly embrace her brother. 

"Miss me, bro?" She joked before she moved to Yoona.

Giving her a gentle smile, "Have you been holding up well?" 

Yoona nodded in reply, choosing not to speak in public.

"Did Jess and Jay come?" directing the question to her brother. 

He nodded, pointing behind him "They stayed back to avoid the cameras"

"Let's go then" Linking her arms through Yoona and turned around. 

Taecyeon stay by Yoona's side, blocking any possible shots from the cameras. 


After a short distance of walking- away from the crowd, she spotted her best friend and her husband.

"Welcome back love" Jessica smiled, embracing Tiffany

"Thank you" She spoke as Jay gave her a quick hug, "I'm glad to be home" 

"Good, good" Taecyeon interrupted, "Tiff, we need to go now" 

She sighed, "Alright... Cut the reunion short" 

"You have that university meeting with your parents right?" Jessica asked, remembering a past conversation with Tiffany

"Yup, it won't take too long. Just a few papers to sign regarding the new scholarships our family are starting in the next top 2 schools in South Korea"

"Wow" Jay said, amazed, "That's nice of you guys to start" 


After changing into a more formal wear, Tiffany decided to take Yoona to Jessica's place for a girl's day. Jessica was to pick the girls up right after the meeting at the university. This left Taecyeon alone for the day before he was to meet up with the boys again. 

The car ride to the university was silent. Tiffany seating in the front with Taecyeon driving and Yoona seating in the back. Tiffany had fallen asleep in the front, due to jet lag. Taecyeon checked to see through the rear view mirror if Yoona was awake. 

"Are you alright?" He asked, still looking glancing back at the mirror

Yoona kept her eyes fixed on the window, but nodded. 

From there the ride was silent, until they reached the university grounds. He parked in the assigned parking lot away from the students. Tiffany perked up from her nap and began talking about her trip with Yoona as they made their way into the university halls. The students and teachers had stopped in their tracks as they watched the three walked towards the principle's office where their parents were already at. 

Taecyeon had paid little attention to their conversation, following behind the two. 

As they neared the conference room, he noticed a short figure down the hall. Instantly recognizing the girl, he excused himself to the restroom as the two girls were already entering the room. 

"Taeyeon?" He whisper, as he quickly walked towards the short figure.

She turned around, "Taecyeon?" 

"I didn't know you attended this school!" He smiled brightly.

"Yeah, for journalism. But what are you doing here?"

"My parents want to start a scholarship in this university as well" 

She nodded, "I heard about that. It's very nice of them" 

"Yup" 

"Mhmmm" Taeyeon said awkwardly, "I'm going to go. I have work" 

"Wait!" Before she took a step forward, "I need to talk to you"

She looked at her phone to check her clock, "I'm on break at 4'o clock. Just for 15 minutes though"

"Sounds great. Where do you work?" 

"I'll text it to you" She waved to him, walking away. 


The meeting had gone surprisingly fast with the exception of the questions regarding the new marriage.

The secretary bowed with the signed papers in hand. The director smiled, "Thank you for your contributions" 

"Our pleasures" Mr. Ok said, "It's great to see you again" 

"Yes. It's been awhile. Your school has been reaching headlines onces more" 

"I hope they've been good news" Ms. Ok jumped into the conversation. 

He gave a light laugh, "Always. Rumor has it Ms. Yoona had also attended the school for awhile" 

Taecyeon looked up, surprised with rumor. 

"She did actually" Ms. Ok smile, gently placing her hand over Yoona's

"Is that so?" The director asked, now interested in Yoona's presence, "For what, my dear?" 

"To be a doctor but now I'm in business" She said quickly, avoiding eye contact.

"Amazing. Very smart" He looked at Taecyeon, "And you son? How's school?"

"I'm taking the year off actually" 

"Oh" He looked away, awkwardly, "Yoona, how are you're studies now? Which school are you currently attending?"

She hesitated in answering, "Hmm.. I'm actually home school"

"How come?" He sounded shocked

Ms. Ok answered instead, "We didn't want Yoona getting distracted with all the attention regarding the marriage" 

He nodded understanding the reason, "Do you wish to return to university again?" 

Yoona thought about it realizing part of her missed the atmosphere, the classroom, the students, the noise. Everyday, she studied with one teacher, in the same room. She didn't know how to reply.....

"Actually" Taecyeon butted in, saying whatever came to his mind, "We are planning to attend together after all the commotion has died down" 

Happy with the answer, he smiled. 

That ended the conversation.


"Taecyeon, I wish to speak to you when you get home" Mr. Ok ordered as he entered the car. 

He bowed in respect,  "Yes dad" 

He waved them off along with his sister and Yoona. 

"When is Jessica suppose to pick you up?" 

Tiffany looked at her watch, "In a few minutes" 

To continue the conversation, Taecyeon had asked about her trip at the states. 

"Such an amazing fashion week!" Her eyes lit up, "You should have went!"

"Our definition of fun is completely different, Tiff" 

"You're right..." She turned to Yoona, "You should come next time" 

Yoona just smiled back. 

By then, Jessica had arrived with Hyoyeon in the front seat. 

"GET IN" Jessica yelled

Tiffany laughed, pulling along Yoona. 

"Bye Taecyeon" She waved to her brother "See you at home" 

The rest of the girls, except Yoona waved bye as they left. He waited until he couldn't see them any longer. When he couldn't, he turned and walked back to his car. Taeyeon had texted the address of her work and he was ready to ask her questions. 


He opened the doors, letting the bell ring. The cafe was small and cozy with small booths for couples. The cafe was empty, with no one in sight. 

"Hello" A voice came from an door behind a counters, "Sorry, I'll be right with you" 

There entered Taeyeon, dress, in a black dress shirt and a mid length skirt that was covered but her apron.

"Omo! Taecyeon" 

"I'm not too early, am I?" 

She laughed, "No no... Please seat - anywhere you liked"

He took a seat in a booth that was away from the front door.

"I'm almost on break, just give me a second!" 

He waited and waited but ended up falling asleep on the table.


After twenty minutes, Taeyeon lightly tapped the table to wake Taecyeon up. 

"Sorry for making you wait, my co-worker was running late"

She took a seat across him, handing him a cup of coffee.

"It's not a problem" 

She gave him a smile, "What's up?"

"I wanted to ask you a few question about Yoona's mother" 

She looked a bit shocked, "You've met her?" 

He nodded his head, "I really want know what's she's diagnosed with"

"Leukemia, for the second time" 

He looked at her in shocked, "Excuse me? When was the first time?"

"A few years ago... Yoona ran away for a few months when she was diagnosed. The only time we could reach her was at her work"

"She ran away?"

She looked at him in confusion, "You didn't know?"

"No..." He knew what going happen next, she was going to say it was a secret.

She looked conflicted, biting her lower lip. Her hands wrapped around her cup, her eyes staring down at the darkest of her coffee. She remained silent as she thought of all the possible outcomes of telling the past or not. She sighed a few times without even realizing it. When she looked up, her eyes looked dull and tired.

"Taecyeon, how many times in your life have your heart been broken?" She asked so seriously that it scared him to answer.

He looked her face, "Once" 

She nodded, sending them into a another silence....

With a loud sigh, she broke the silence, "I'll tell you Taecyeon. Not for you but for Yoona" 

He wasn't sure what she meant by that sentence but he didn't say anything.

" Yoona use to be so bright and cheerful but when her father died, it was like part of her died inside. I think she believes her father's death was because of her. Her mother had gone depressed, she was basically all alone. She didn't want to speak to anyone.Not even me. By the time, my aunt got her act together, Yoona was.... lifeless. She started working by the time she was 11 years old to help with the bills. When she was 15, her mother got a boyfriend" 

Taeyeon shook her head as she recalled memories

"I don't think she even loved him... But he promised her a better life for Yoona and she believed him. I should have known something was wrong with him because Yoona was always stay at my house when he was over at her's. After a few months, he moved in and Yoona began to stay long hours at school and at work. It was until my mother received a found call from the police department that Yoona needed to be picked at up. We found out then that my aunt's boyfriend had tried to Yoona. My aunt was so angry with herself for letting such a low life in the house... She couldn't look at Yoona for weeks. But I guess in the long run... It helped their relationship and Yoona. She started to smile for her mother.." 

"When was she diagnosised with leukemia then?"

"Yoona had turned 16 when she ran away... A few months later my aunt wasn't feel well.... And I guess you know what was wrong with her" 

Taecyeon nodded, allowing everything to sink in.... It all seemed too unreal. Too much like the shows Tiffany use to watch. 

"Taecyeon" Taeyeon said, "You've been sheltered by your parents and your wealth. Your heartbreak was probably because of a girl. But Yoona thought that her mother hated her because of her father's death. And to make it worst, a man who made her feel like she was a toy. Taec, she broken...."  

He was ashamed. Ashamed for all he did to her. For hating her. For thinking Yoona wanted this marriage. All he could do was all at his hands in disappointment and embarrassment. Because of his angry, he made Yoona's already painful life even worst. Not wonder Yoona can't forgive him, he wouldn't give himself if he was her. Now it seemed like his broken heart from Yuri was nothing compared to Yoona's life. 

"I'm sorry... Taeyeon. For hurting even more. I'll fix it..."

She gave him a small reassuring smile but said nothing. 

That smile gave him... Hope that maybe he could fix the relationship he currently had with Yoona.

 

Image

 

 author's note:(Updated on November 16, 2011)Gosh, I'm sorry for the waiting all the time. I give you guys too much excuse! I'm glad many haven't forgotten about my story. Thank for waiting so patiently and I hope you guys understand that because it's my last year of highschool I don't have a lot of free time anymore. I'm trying my best to write whenever it is possible. I'm already working on the next chapter but when that comes out... I don't know lol. This chapter is a bore for me to write because all I needed from this chapter is the conversation with Taeyeon and Taecyeon so you guys have the full story of Yoona's life. Please continue to be patient. Thank you so much!

» layout credit