Chapter 10

Breaking the Ice Hearts

 

CHAPTER ten

 

It took them close to an hour, but they got there. With happy spirits, the boys quickly ran off to play a game of beach volleyball. It left the ladies to enjoy the warm sand. It wasn’t too soon when Wooyoung’s girls came jogging along the water. It was a scene of the screen. It was clear to say they were foreign with their white skin and blonde hair. They weren’t self-conscious about their body, showing their long skim body with bikinis. With a total of 3 girls, Taeyeon felt embarrassed about her body now. She wasn’t tall nor was she skinny, you couldn’t call her beauty like Yoona or y like Tiffany.

It was only her that paid attention to the foreign guest. The rest of the girls; Hyoyeon and Jessica were in the midst of discussing married life, while Yoona was staring off into the blue ocean. Her eyes seemed distant, the look of when one was focusing truly hard on something. But with a complex girl like Yoona, it was hard to figure out what was on her mind. Even though Taeyeon had grown up with her for most of her childhood, it was still hard for her to fully understand Yoona. Her mind and heart was under lock and key.

“Don’t you ever get jealous?” She directed the question to the two taken women. It was clear from her vision that now the 3 women had joined the team. Every now and then they would be close with the boys.

The two turned around, confused. When they turned around, it looked as if they wanted to laugh, “Of them?” Hyoyeon spoke, “No... Sweetie. We’ve been together for how many years now?... Since third year of high school. Junho and I have overcome a lot over our years together. A few girls don’t scare me!”

Jessica smile assuring, “Jay and I have been married for almost two years now. I’ve had him on lock down since I could remember. Jealously never looked good on me...” She giggled, “That’s what Jay says.... I just know he loves me, which is all I need to know”

 Taeyeon looked at the girls in awe. They were satisfied of who they were inside and out. They were beautiful and talented. Hyoyeon had mention few stories choreographing a few dances for idol singers. Jessica had even composed one song for an American singer- with the help of Jay. Taeyeon... what could she say she’s done for the past 22 years of living? She had to take a few years off so she could be could pay for her tuition.

Out of the three, Yoona was the strongest. Her life story would be better meant in a drama. Yoona was talent was her will. Never giving up once in her 20 years.

Most of Taeyeon had ended with her insecurities that led her past boyfriends in cheating on her. Well... just one boyfriend. But she only had one boyfriend.

The conversation soon led to how the two girls met their partners. Taeyeon’s  attention moved from her insecurities to fascinating history of their love life.

“It was the first year of high school. I might have been a freshman, but that didn’t change the popularity I quickly got from the peers. After awhile, I started to think I was something special. They didn’t call me the Ice Princess for nothing” She laughed, “I guess you can say I became to prideful of myself. Then Jay came into the picture half way into the year. Instantly the girls loved him, expect for Tiffany and I. I actually never liked him- if he says anything differently he is just lying to save his ego! We ended up being in the same homeroom. I avoid him for a very long time.  Then we got stuck doing a project together!” She rolled her eyes- too consumed in the past now, “After that, he thought he could treat me like a friend... what was worst was whenever I was around him, I’d get myself hurt and he would be the one to save me. One thing led to another, he saved my life during a ski trip. I owe him my life but all he wanted was one date! I actually didn’t know he was interested in me till that exact moment. Of course I had to say yes... and after that... things just clicked.”

“I actually didn’t meet the gang till the second year of high school- through Junho.” She giggled, “But not in the way you think. We were actually competing against each other at a dance competition. Even before the finals, it was down to us two. All was left was who was going to be the winner. I didn’t really think anything of him at the time. Either did him actually. He had a girlfriend at the time- together for a year or two. I’d often hear him talking to the others about her. It was right before finals when she broke up with him. I felt terrible that I won since he was in a slump, so I approached after, told him we’d have a rematch after. Then BAM! We became friends like that... soon he introduced me to the gang. We’d spent a lot of our time together, dancing... it was then I realized that I started liking him, but it was too late for me he got back with his ex-girlfriend. We started drifting... to the point where he wouldn’t answer my calls. I finally gave up after a year... realizing there was no hope. Then he called me, asking for a rematch. He ended up winning this time. I was going to give him the trophy that I won, but he stopped me- grabbing my wrist. Then he kissed me... He apologized for not realizing his feelings earlier in time”

The conversation continued without Yoona presence. Physically she was there but mentally, her mind was elsewhere... somewhere in Seoul... in a hospital. The days apart from her mother, she had grown more anxious. It wasn’t hard for her to hide her worries. It wasn’t hard for her to hide anything. She spent most of her time alone since she fainted, she didn’t worry about other paying too much details to her.

She founded the ocean a relaxing place. It tamed some of her wild thoughts that’s been in her head for years. The light breeze on her skin was refreshing. Something you don’t often feel in Seoul. The wave were soothing to her ears, calming her heart.

“I’m going to a walk” She didn’t wait for a reply. But when she was a few feet away she heard Taeyeon yell be safe. Her body wondered away from the loud noises of the group. It was odd to say that this was the first time in a very long time when she interacted with people this close. She hadn’t decided if this was a good thing or bad. She knew things never last.

Maybe this is what held her back in opening to others.

Negative thoughts only happen through negative happenings.

Physically she overcome the negatives, but mentally... she was still battling. Alone she was fighting.

She never realized how far she walked. Her legs held her up a trail to a cliff that gave a full view of the ocean. The wind was strong up here, Yoona couldn’t help but move a bit by the strong wind. She didn’t mind. Actually she liked it, it was as if she being picked up from her troubles.

Yoona never realized she was being followed. Her attention was too focused in her thoughts that even the heavy footsteps from Taecyeon couldn’t be heard. He followed her up to the cliff. Amazed with Yoona’s concentration  that it took him a few minutes to speak up.

“Hey” was all he thought up... He didn’t want to seem too forward but he didn’t sound too casual.

There was a slight movement in her shoulders, she was caught off guard but none the less she made no move to face him.

--PART TWO--

Silence consumed them both. Only the sound of the waves and the wind were present in their ears. Taecyeon watched the unmoving Yoona sitting perfectly on the large rock, only a few meters behind her but still unable to move any closer. He was scared- no- he was passed scared now. He feared Yoona and her unreadable emotions and lack of responses and her tough exterior... he feared her period. He feared laying another finger on her. But mostly importantly he feared the guilt that she implicated on him.

He wanted to speak to her... say something. Just so they can be on the same ground. He wanted her to forgive him. He wanted to be guilt-free. He just wanted her out of his life- but that won’t happen.

“What are you doing here?” Her voice was clear and sharp. Her eyes never moved away from the ocean but it was clear it was directed to him.

She didn’t mind him there in her presence, just the fact his constant staring was starting to bother her. It bothered that it wasn’t anger that was showing in his eyes but some other emotion that she wasn’t aware of.  There was something about him that was starting to bother her.

He was caught off guard. He wanted to be first to speak- be the man. There was a sense of pride in being the first- in anything.

“Look Yoona... about the past-” But she cut him off.

“There is nothing to take about” She didn’t want to think of the past anymore. There were too many things from the past she never wanted to face again.

“No Yoona, you need to listen-” Cut off again.

She finally looked at him, eyes burning with passion “I don’t want to talk about it. Not now, not ever.” It was clear to say her words were now final. She turned back again facing the ocean,

“Please go” She said quietly.

His footsteps were heavy as he began walking back to the trail. He didn’t want to leave as if there was something wrong but he wasn’t welcome. Who could blame here? All he’s done was pushed her away, it was only fair.

He was half way down the trail when he noticed that the group had split up into smaller groups in search. Among the group he spotted a familiar blonde hair, white skin. Nickhun was back from Thailand. Everything was left unsettled. Now he wasn’t sure how to face him.

“Hey man... where’s Yoona?” Nickhun asked as if nothing happened.

Taecyeon just pointed up, “She’s up there on the rock” He watched as Nickhun walked passed him without another word.

“Wait Khun” He waited until his friend turned around, “I’m sorry”

He gave a soft smile, “Forget about it, what are brothers for?”  

With that he knew that things were fixed once again brothers. 

He didn’t wonder why Nickhun were looking for Yoona. Khun was a nice guy- he knew he had no romantic feelings for his wife. He was simply a nice guy looking out for a girl. He blamed his angry for letting him think otherwise during the strip club when he protected Yoona. 

 He joined the answer shortly after he met up with the rest of the group. Surprisingly, they too were in search of Yoona. He told them the answer, pointing up at the cliff once again. At the same time, the group were in shock to see Yoona...dropping gracefully down into the water. She was head first with no sign of restraint.

 She wasn’t trying to commit suicide right?   

No she wouldn’t?

But she has no reason to live that Taec was aware of right?

No... Yoona is smart, death is never the answer.

As Taecyeon battled it out with his head, the others were quick to react. Taeyeon ran to shore... her eyes glued to where Yoona landed into water. It was as if her heart stopped and her breathing stopped. Her only cousin in the world was now leaving her already? No... She wouldn’t. She had too much to leave for. Taeyeon was right to take another step but something stopped her. She couldn’t swim.

Nickhun’s Point of View

I followed behind as soon as my sense came back to me. It all happened to quick... one moment we were talking then the next she slipped on some rocks.  Everything now felt surreal. For a brief moment my mind went blank- a total empty space. And then all I could hear in my head was the beating of me heart. How quick it beat for her....


“YOONA!”

Taeyeon yelled as Nickhun yelled the life-less beauty to the shore. He looked pale as well but all the attention was on Yoona. The boys came to his aid helping him along into the sand. Nickhun laid her down on the sand, pushed his ear to checking for breathing- nothing. He placed his hand carefully on her chest and began CPR. After 15 presses he stopped to give to mouth. He did this for another few minutes until Yoona’s eyes began to blink. She coughed out the salt water and her eyes focused on the sky. Taeyeon pulled her to her chest, hugging her tightly- letting all the water soaks into her own clothes.

“Don’t ever scare me like that please” She pleads for everyone to hear.

Nickhun stood up, joining the rest of the group. He watched as they continued to embrace. Yoona responded by pulling Taeyeon closer to her small frame. Taeyeon continued rubbing her back for comfort.

“Khun, can you help me get some clothes for Yoona and Tae?” Jessica tugged on his wet shirt, “And maybe some dry clothes for you too” She smiled.

He nodded in reply and the two headed back to the parking lot.


“Yoona, take theses and change” Nickhun smiled, Yoona nodded.  He was now dry and smiling once again. “They are actually some of my clothes so they will be baggy” She nodded again.

“Come on, I’ll take you somewhere private to change” Jessica offered, extending her hand out to her. Yoona reluctantly took her hand.

Nickhun watched as the two walked back to the parking lot. He was glad that he was the one who saved her, her saviour, her hero.  

“Thank you for saving my cousin” Taeyeon faced him, “I know you don’t know me, but I’m Taeyeon”

Nickhun smiled, noticing her friendliness, “Nickhun. It’s nice to meet a family of Yoona”

Taeyeon began to shiver as the wind picked up but she continued to smile.

“Are you okay?” He began to worry. She was soaked from head to toe. He was so consumed in Yoona’s health and safely he never noticed Taeyeon. He realized that she was over-shadowed by her cousin.

“Me? I’m fine-Just a little cold” She shrugged it off, her eyes shifted from to the group as they began packing up.

“Why don’t I find you a-” But he was interrupted by Wooyoung, “Hey... Taeyeon right?” Taeyeon smiled, agreeing, “Is your cousin alright?”

“She’s feeling better now. She’s changing right now”

“That’s good” He began walking away to his “friends”

“WAIT WOO!” Nickhun shouted, “Do you have a pair of dry clothes?”

“Yeah... I do. Why do you ask?”

“Taeyeon-”

“Who?”

“Taeyeon” He pointed to the short woman who clearly wasn’t happy with Wooyoung. He wasn’t the type to remember names unless he was interested. Clearly Wooyoung wasn’t interested in Taeyeon, but neither was she. It was also clear she was annoyed with him.

“She needs a change of clothes” Wooyoung eyed up and down.

“Oh”

“Do you think you can help me?” She said through her teeth, still showing her smile.

“Oh yeah” He quickly smirked, “It’s in the car just follow me”


Nickhun almost laughed as the two watched off. Wooyoung was trying to make conversation but Taeyeon clearly seemed uninterested in the conversation or at least still annoyed from the previous conversation.

“Hey, we’re going to leave soon” Junho started, “Can you find Taec? He sort of disappeared”

He spent five minutes walking eyes around his surroundings. He couldn’t remember the secret hideout that only the boys were aware about. Founded when they were 16 and the first time the boys ever tasted alcohol. There was something in his gut that told him he would be there.

“Taec... you know how long I’ve been looking for you?”

He walked closer to his best friend. He was facing the ocean- away from Khun. He gave no reply, but him still waiting.

“Are you okay?” He stepped closer.

“You think she did that cause of me?”

“Did what? –Oh! No! Oh no! She just slipped on the rocks...” He didn’t sound convincing, but it was true.

“You don’t get it... how I feel right now. The guilt, the anger, and the hate... God! It’s too much. Everything I do or don’t do is my fault...  ! I feel like I’m always wrong! I’m not trying to do this! It just... just... I don’t know. Honesty, when I saw her fall all I could think about how was it my entire fault. This isn’t good. She isn’t good.”

Nickhun stood in shock. So much emotion had been bottled in his best friend that he wasn’t even aware of. He was too consumed in making sure Yoona was alright that he had forgotten his own best friend. No matter the size the muscle of a guy has, the pain is still the same. He couldn’t say anything to help Taec. No words got heal the wounds that was caused.

Image

 

author's note I noticed chapter 9 was getting too long, so I just ended it there (changed the title ofcourse) and made this chapter about the beach.

Answered to your questions:Regarding questions about what happened to Yoona and Taec and Yuri, all will be answered in the future. In all honesty, I don't even know myself what happen to Taec and Yuri, I'm still on the fence about it. But with Yoona... I know for sure, just the time is pretty late into the story. Regards to where Khun is, he is in Thailand (mentioned in Chapter 8 when he was talking to Tiffany), but he is coming into the chapter. And about what Taec feels about the relationship with Khun and Yoona- at the moment nothing (since he has no feelings for Yoona, so why be jealous?) Finally about the Wootae and Woofany... I'm didn't expect people would be so picky about it, but if it comes to the point, I do have two endings to Woo... But i'd rather not go to the point. Please just try to enjoy the story as best as you can. If anymore, feel free to ask. 

And if anyone has exams, like me, Good luck :)

» layout credit