Chapter 1

Breaking the Ice Hearts

 

CHAPTER ONE   

 

“You may now kiss the bride” The priest announced to the small group of people who were all gathered at a small chapel outside of Seoul. They were all here to see the two young couple get wed, whether they liked it or not.

Yoona looked into the icy stare of her soon to be husband waiting for his move. She wasn’t afraid or scared. Truth was, she didn’t feel anything. She felt numb and  tired of living her life. The young 21 year-old stood straight, her thin lips slightly frowning and her dull eyes. Even though she looked unhappy, she was still beautiful. Im Yoona had petit oval face, and double eyelids, with black flowing hair that reached her shoulder but her the occasion of her wedding, tied into an elegant bun, a natural beauty. As her soon to be husband leaned in closer to her, still able to see the anger in his eyes, all she could think about was,

How was she going to survive?" 


It had all started 1 month ago, Im Yoona was in her second year of university in Seoul, studying to be doctor. She was in a full paid scholarship, though she wasn’t the smartest person, she had determination and perseverance. It was a normal Thursday afternoon, after her classes she’d head to the school library to study she would do this every time she had classes because she didn’t have time when was at home. By the time she was finished, the campus was already empty with only a few students in sight. The winter weather was soon coming and the temperature was being to drop. It was unfortunate that the young woman was only in a hoodie. Yoona wrapped her tiny arms around herself, unaware of her surroundings. She would have got out of the gate in a couple of minutes but she had bumped into someone else, which landed both on the floor.  Lucky the young lady was in no rush, as she didn’t have work together, but it didn’t mean she didn’t have chores at home. When she looked up, she saw a middle-aged lady, well-dressed. Yoona quickly jumped up to her feet, forgetting her books on the ground to help the lady up. Yoona bow multiply times, apologizing for her rudeness, until the lady stopped her by holding her two tiny arms tight against her body.

“My dear child” The middle age women said in a motherly tone, “No need to apologize, it’s my fault too. Now let’s grab your books, before they get anymore dirty” The lady had began helping Yoona picking her heavy books, “Oh dear child, these are heavy books for such a small lady, what are you planning to be?” She asked as she handed the books back to Yoona.

“A doctor” Yoona replied

“For such a beautiful girl like you? I can’t believe that” Yoona felt herself blush at the compliment. It wasn’t so often she heard one. She had gone unnoticed in school and in work, because of her emotionless appearance. For the first time in such a long time she felt herself smiling. She bowed as a sign of thanks.

“A well manner lady as well, I like you....” The middle age lady voice faded at the end,

“Yoona, Im Yoona” The young girl continued to smile genuinely at the lady.

“Yoona” She said as if she was thinking about it, “I like it. I’ll remember you!” She clapped her hands together, before continuing, “Oh my dear child, I must leave now!” She hurried off to the university buildings.

Yoona hurried out of the campus and headed her way home, never realizing that this encounter with the middle-aged lady was special.

Life continued for Yoona as normal as it had been since was twelve; school, work, chores, sleep. Though sleep was always an opinion, since there weren’t enough hours in the day for the young lady to finish everything, she had often go days without sleep, by now she was use to sleep less than 4 hours a day. It was another school day for Yoona and later she had a midnight shift at a convenience store near her house. She was busy taking down notes from her teacher, until class stopped and the teacher answer the phone. His face had gone blank for a moment, while Yoona looked over her notes. It came to a shock that when the phone call was over, he called to her. She made her way down, not caring about the stares from the other students.

“Pack your stuff and go to the front gate, someone is there to pick you up” He said in a husky tone, as if he had something stuck in his throat... maybe fear?

Yoona nodded her head, and went back up to her desk and packed up her stuff. Though she was confused, she still obeyed her teachers command and walked the campus quietly. Everyone was in class, and Yoona took in the fresh cold air, wrapping her arms around herself like always. When she reached the front gate, she was shocked. There waiting for her was a black BMW and there stood a fairly old man dressed in a suit. He bowed to her, and Yoona did the same.

“Ms. Im Yoona, please come in” He requested, as he held the door open, “It’s a request from Mrs. Ok” She had heard her name before, after all the women was paying her scholarship. From what Yoona read somewhere, the Ok family is the co-founder of the school and had basically owned the school. Every year they gave one fortunate person for a full paid scholarship, Yoona was lucky enough to be one of them. Hesitantly, Yoona climbed into the back seat of the BMW.

Another hour later, Yoona was standing in front of a mansion. This was the first time seeing a mansion up-close, her house was nothing compared to this. She heard her name being called, and she averted her eyes from the building to the same man that drove her here. She nodded in reply and followed him inside, to the open-spaced living room. Yoona sat down on to the couch, as she was ordered. She stared into her hands, unable to understand if she had done anything wrong. Had they decided that Yoona wasn’t good enough for the scholarship? Then she heard a door open and close. She looked up, and one after the other came three people. She rose up and bowed. The first person was a young lady that looked around her age. She had black hair that rested above her shoulder, and side bangs. She had a circular face with an eye smile. Yoona smiled back. Then she saw, a tall muscular boy, with black hair styled into a faux hawk. He would have looked young, but the grim face that he plastered made him looked aged, and to Yoona, unattractive. Unlike the girl before him, he didn’t look at her; he looked like he didn’t even see her. But what shocked the most was the last person who came out the door.

“I see you haven’t forgotten me! Good!” chimed the same middle-aged lady from a month ago.

“Now I know you are wondering why you are here Ms. Im Yoona” Said the lady as she seated across Yoona with the young lady seated to her left and the gentlemen to her right, “First of all, I’d like to introduce myself to you and my children. I’m Mrs. Ok and these are my children Tiffany” Pointing to her left, and the young lady waved, “And Taecyeon”. When Mrs. Ok pointed to her son, Yoona felt a shiver down her spine when he saw his stare at her; it was like he was shooting daggers at her. It took a moment for her to get use to it.

“Well I’m not going to bet around the bush, I’ll say it to you straight dear. I like you, and I’d like you to marry my son”

It was the first time that the two children saw any emotion in Yoona face. Yoona glass-like eyes widen in shock and thin lips parted shaping into an “O”.

“I’m sorry, you said what?” She asked Mrs. Ok

The middle-aged lady giggled in reply, “I know it seems like a shock, but Yoona, I really like you. I even paid for your scholarship” She smiled, and then turned her head to look at his son. Now he had turned away from the conversation, looking outside the autumn weather. He hadn’t said a word since he came; there was no reason for him to speak since he didn’t have a choice. From what happened in the past, his mother had taken control of his love life, “Don’t you think he is cute?” She smiled and looked back to Yoona.

Yoona composed her face, “I’m sorry Mrs. Ok, I’m flattered that you would want me to marry your son, but I have to say no” She was about to get up, until Mrs. Ok stopped her.

“Please let me finish!” She turned about to her son, “Taecyeon, Tiffany, you may leave now” Without another word the two young siblings left. “Okay, now that they are gone, I can explain. We can help each other out, Yoona”

Yoona had an urge to laugh, but she stayed quiet letting the middle-aged women, “I just want you to marry my son”

“Why?”

“Because I like you! The moment I met you, I knew you were special so I had some little investigation. Don’t think anything wrong, this is actually my first time doing this. I found you a very interesting girl, I still wonder if you ever sleep! Oh my dear, you don’t even sleep in class! Constantly working, I believe you are more of mature then my son, that’s what he needs right now. Someone who is mature, to teach him how to live”

“I’m sorry, but how does help me?”

“Oh, let me finish, my dear! I wondered why you were always working three jobs and you are still studying then I found out about-“

“Please don’t say it” Yoona didn’t want the truth out, even if it was just the two.

“Alright alright! I won’t say, I’m not sure why my dear! I’m really proud of you, such perseverance and maturity ... I don’t even have that!” She giggled then saw the seriousness in Yoona eyes, “I can see why you seem so cold to others, but I see warmth in you!”

“I’m really sorry if I sound rude, but I still don’t know why this can help me?” She asked almost sounding impatient.

“You won’t have to worry about anything, not even working. Everything will be paid and your mother will be taken care of with my- well would be yours too, if you just marry my son”

“I don’t think I can accept this offer, it seems so self-fish of me”

“But your mother seems to like it!”

“Excuse me?”

“Your mother seems to think this is a good idea. She doesn’t want you constantly working, and just having to focus on school will her make her happy... and of course, it will make me happy!”

“My mother wants me to do it?”

“Yes, yes she does”

“Okay... I’ll do it” She couldn’t deny her mother’s request; she didn’t know how long she had with her mother.

“Just call me Omma!”

In one week, everything had totally changed. It felt as if Yoona’s life was put into fast ward, and she had no choice and stay back. She had no choice in any aspect of her wedding, not even the choice of the wedding dress. Not that she cared anyways; she didn’t have a choice in choosing her husband, why did it matter who was invited in the wedding. Every day before the wedding, she was forced into living in the mansion. Constantly hearing the yelling about her wedding, she missed the peace and quiet of her small house right outside Seoul. With only mother and her living in the tiny house, there wasn’t a lot of noise, but now her mother was in the hospital where she needed to be, resting before her daughter’s wedding. They had decided in a small wedding, despite the big commotion that the heir of the biggest company in Korea was to be wed. It seemed that was the only part that Yoona had been involved in; she didn’t want people knowing she was going to be the wife of heir of the biggest company.

“You look beautiful” said her soon to be father-in-law, smiling at Yoona, with Mrs. Ok on his arm.

This was the first that they had met, at her wedding. They were in the dressing room in the church, and Yoona was wearing her white strapless wedding dress. It was too much for the simple girl, it seemed more fitted for a princess then a girl who worked 3 jobs just to stay alive. She looked at them from their reflection in the mirror, merely smiling. A smile that didn’t reach her eyes.

“Well, my dear, we are going to check on your mother. We will see you outside” Said Mrs. Ok and they had left the room.

Yoona was glad her mother was able to attend the wedding even in the state she was in. They had a brief conversation on how happy her mother was that her daughter was getting married and that she had been able to be there. For Yoona, as long as her mother was happy, she didn’t how she was feeling. Now she was alone, staring at the mirror, finally feeling sadness. Even though her mother and soon to be in-laws compliment on how beautiful she looked, she couldn’t shake the feeling that she wasn’t supposed to be in this dress. She wasn’t supposed to be marrying the heir of the biggest company in Korea. She began fidgeting with her hands noticing that it was almost time; she just stared at herself.

“I guess I suppose be complimenting you... wife” said a deep voice at the door. Yoona looked at the reflection in the mirror to see Taecyeon in his black suit. His face matching Yoona’s, blank. Expect Yoona could see the hate in his eyes, but who could blame him.  He stepped closer to Yoona, but still left a large gap between them; Yoona remind staring at his reflection. They had remained silent for some time, just looking at each other.

“I’m sorry” whispered Yoona. Taecyeon saw a hint of sadness in Yoona’s usually blank eyes. He could never understand what she was thinking or feeling, but there he saw the first real emotion from his future wife. Though it was brief, he felt some remorse then was washed away with hate. Yoona had a choice in stopping the wedding, but she didn’t. And without a word, he left the room.

“You may now kiss the bride” The priest announced to the small group of people who were all gathered at a small chapel outside of Seoul. They were all here to see the two young couple get wed, whether they liked it or not.

Yoona looked into the icy stare of her soon to be husband waiting for his move. She wasn’t afraid or scared. Truth was, she didn’t feel anything. She felt numb and tired- tired of living her life. The young 21 year-old stood straight, her thin lips straights and her dull eyes. Even though she looked unhappy, she was still beautiful. Im Yoona had petit oval face, and double eyelids, with black flowing hair that reached her shoulder but her the occasion of her wedding, tied into an elegant bun, a natural beauty. As her soon to be husband leaned in closer to her, still able to see the anger in his eyes, all she could think about was, “How was she going to live now?”

The reception flashed before Yoona’s eyes that she could didn’t remember a thing. Only the smile on her mother’s face before she had to return to the hospital. Now she was in her honeymoon suite standing in front of her husband. Neither said a word, but Taecyeon made a move. He moved closer to Yoona, leaving no space in between them before he gripped her arms. Yoona made no expression whether she felt pain or not, he was starting to believe she was a robot.

“You’re my wife now, and you aren’t giving me happiness. Are you that boring?” He teased, and with that, Yoona closed the gapped between their faces, tip-toeing to reach his height. She lighted kissed him, not sure how to even kiss. This would be her second kiss now. After Taecyeon took the lead, and deepened the kiss, gripping her arms tighter, finally letting out his angry into his wife.

....That night Yoona scarified more than her body and her ity  but her freedom.

 

 Image

 

 

 author's note on March 31, 2013:  I'm in the midst of editing the layout of all the chapters. 

» layout credit