VIVERE

나의 수호 천사
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

나의 수호 천사

"My Guardian Angel"

 

The story of the last Grigori…

 

 

 

VIVERE

"TO LIVE"

 

 

 

 

 

Chaerin was back at the meadow, fiddling with the black feather she found in her human’s room. She was contemplating about bringing it to the High Guards but then remembers Taehyun’s words. He said no one should find Sandara, not the three of them especially. She was at a loss now. She wanted to confront Sandara but then, their link seems to be weakening. There were many things that she couldn’t understand now.

 

 

 

The angel over her human was taking up most of her thoughts. Perhaps she couldn’t see the face of the angel because it was concealed by its black wings. And why did she look like a wraith? Was she a memory, perhaps?

 

 

 

Youngbae tapped her shoulder and Chaerin was startled, immediately hiding the feather.

 

 

 

“I saw that.” Youngbae says, sitting beside her. “Where did you get it?”

 

 

 

“In my human’s room.”

 

 

 

“It would be cool if angels did have that kind of feather. Did you dip it on black ink?” Youngbae said, thinking it was just an ordinary quill. He held out a hand. “May I touch it?” Chaerin nodded and she watched Youngbae concentrate on the plume and try to recognize its owner like she did before.

 

 

 

“Its no use.” Chaerin said at the puzzled look on Youngbae’s face.

 

 

 

“But this is a celestial’s feather?”

 

 

 

“Yes, but I can’t tell you more. Youngbae, this will be our secret. It isn’t dangerous, is it?”

 

 

 

“It doesn’t seem so.”

 

 

 

“Are you sure angels don’t have black wings? Not even in our history? Or perhaps demons, maybe?” Youngbae looked at Chaerin.

 

 

 

“Chaerin, this is hardly a demon’s feather and I know that you already think that.” Youngbae stared at the plume again and ran his fingers through it. “We would know. Although this seems to come from someone powerful since they were able to conceal their identity. Feathers are like footprints that angels leave behind and if this was a demon’s then I don’t think you could have brought it here, in the first place.”

 

 

 

“That’s what I thought.” Chaerin said, still concealing what she saw. “It would have burned as soon as I stepped on holy grounds.”

 

 

 

“There was something written about angels with black wings in our history. We don’t talk about them at present.”

 

 

 

“Why?”

 

 

 

“Because they were an abomination. Some believe that those who have swore allegiance to the Fallen Angel, Lucifer, had their wings burned and it turned black. Others say that, the angels who have lived with the humans, naturally have black wings to hide them in the dark.”

 

 

 

“Angels who lived with the humans?”

 

 

 

“Yes! Before our time, before demons escaped from Hell, the Seraphims, the highest of our kind, thought of a way to safeguard humanity and teach them about selflessness and fear of the Almighty. Some thought that the humans can only be enlightened if angels ruled over them, undisguised. Others think that to keep the balance, humanity should be left alone.”

 

 

 

“But isn’t that what made the Fallen Angel rebel in the first place?”

 

 

 

“Unfortunately, yes. He rebelled and set the demons free. Given no choice, the most “human” of all angels were created to protect mankind.”

 

 

 

“The most “human”?”

 

 

 

“Yes, the Grigori.”

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

His alarm goes off at exactly 7:00 am. Kwon Jiyong hits the annoying contraption with his fist, too groggy to get up. He remembers what ensued just a few hours ago. They have a guest in the house. Well, not really a guest, more of a stranger.

 

 

 

But then, what made him want to let her stay?

 

 

 

Kwon Jiyong shakes to take his thoughts away from her. Hanbin surely wanted the woman in their home. She looks fragile and weak. Surely if she ever has evil plans against him and his son, he will be able to use his strength on her.

 

 

 

Although, trying to convince himself that she was indeed, dangerous, Jiyong had his own doubts. Somehow, he couldn’t bring himself to think with much certainty that the small slip of a girl he had an encounter on the streets with, is a criminal of sorts.

 

 

Jiyong sighs and gets up to shower.

 

 

 

“She couldn’t be that bad.” Jiyong tells himself.

 

 

 

When he got out of his room, freshly bathed and in his usual working clothes, he finds his son and Sandara in the kitchen.

 

 

 

“Good morning Dad!” His son greets him and he replies the same but with lesser enthusiasm. He sits on the head of the table, and stares at the cup of coffee in front of him. “You made this?” Jiyong turned to Sandara and she nodded.

 

 

 

“Hanbin taught me how to make your coffee. I hope it is satisfactory.” Sandara says and Jiyong raised his brows. From what era is she? No one uses “satisfactory” these days. Come to think of it, her language seem to be not of this time. Its like he’s in one of those novels dated centuries ago.

 

 

 

Jiyong picks up the cup and tastes the coffee. He savors it in his lips then he nods. Hanbin and Sandara, who were watching him had smiles on their faces. “Its not bad.” Jiyong said and began to dig in the food laid out before him.

 

 

 

“What are your plans today, Hanbin?”

 

 

 

“Me?” The boy thinks for a while.

 

 

 

“Aren’t you going out to see Hayi and your friends?” Jiyong asked as he put some jam on his toast then he turns to Sandara who was just standing while father and son ate. “Dara, take a seat.” He says and she nods. He noticed that she was still wearing his clothes from yesterday.

 

 

 

“Appa, I need to get my stuff for school. Classes starts in a week.”

 

 

 

“Oh…” He takes a bite before speaking. “I’m sorry I have an important meeting today. It might take all day.”

 

 

 

“Its all right, Dad. I understand. Dara can come with me!”

 

 

 

“He’s right.” Sandara spoke when she noticed Jiyong hesitate. “Hanbin knows what he’s going to get so I’ll just be watching over him.”

 

 

 

“Are you sure, Hanbin?” Jiyong turns to his son. “Dara isn’t familiar with the city. You might be watching over her more than she will be watching over you.”

 

 

 

“I am and I don’t mind.” Hanbin smiles at him. “I’m a big boy, Dad! I have a list of what I needed from school.” Jiyong looked at the both them, still unsure but then he had an idea.

 

 

 

“All right, you both go and then let me know where I’m going to pick you up when you are done. What time are you leaving?”

 

 

 

“Maybe after lunch.” Hanbin says, already excited about the idea of going with Sandara.

 

 

 

As soon as he was finished, Jiyong stands from the table and takes his phone. “I’ll wait for your call, Hanbin. You both take care.” He says. “And Dara, I laid out clothes on my bed. I won’t be needing them anymore so you can have them.”

 

 

 

“Thank you, Jiyong.” Sandara replies and smiles at him. He just nods then leaves.

 

 

 

When he gets in his car and starts the engine, he puts his sister’s name on dial. She answers after the 3rd ring.

 

 

 

“Good morning, Jiyong! What a pleasant surprise!”

 

 

 

“Bommie, I need a favor.”

 

 

 

“Sure, go ahead.”

 

 

 

Bom listened intently at his brother’s request and she even took notes. She was already looking forward to the favor he was asking of her.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dara are you done?” Hanbin asks, knocking in her room. She opens the door and Hanbin smiles, giving her a look over.

 

 

 

“Is it all right?” She asks him, doubting if the outfit she chose from Jiyong’s hand-me-downs looked decent enough. She was wearing a white tank inside a bomber jacket and some tattered jeans.

 

 

 

“It is!” Hanbin says with a smile then he rans to his room, taking 1 of his beloved snapbacks from the rack. “Wear this too!”

 

 

 

Hanbin puts on his cap, while Sandara mimics him. They both hear a knock then Hanbin rans to the door. “Hayi!” The boy exclaims and his friend smiles.

 

 

 

“Hello Hanbin.” Bom greets him as well. “Your father told me that you wanted to buy what you needed for school?”

 

 

 

Sandara peeks at the newcomers and sees a beautiful woman with an equally pretty girl with her. The lady sees her and smiles.

 

 

 

“Oh, hello there! You must be Sandara.” Bom walks into the house and holds a hand out to her. Sandara clasps her hands to shake. “I heard a lot about you from CL. I am Bom, or just call me Bommie. I am Jiyong and CL’s older sister. This is my daughter Hayi. She’s a friend of Hanbin. Jiyong asked me to take you both to the city. We are also buying Hayi’s things for school. If you are ready, then we should go.”

 

 

 

Sandara was thinking of an appropriate reply but ended up saying nothing and just gave Bom a smile. Hanbin takes her hand and they all leave the house.

 

 

 

 

 

______________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kwon Jiyong was inside a very expensive looking restaurant where the VIP room has been reserved for him and his publicist.

 

 

 

“I’m glad you gave me a call, Jiyong.” A good looking man in a suit, s his coat before sitting beside him. Jiyong shares a friendly handshake with him. “I thought I was going to be unemployed, man!”

 

 

 

Jiyong smirked and shook his head.

 

 

 

“Seungri, I’m sure that even if you’re unemployed you will never be poor.” Jiyong said. “You are already rich to begin with. You don’t need me to bring you more gold.”

 

 

 

“Well, I was expecting you’d give me your sister but…” Seungri shrugged. “I guess I was a little too late to get to know you. How is CL?”

 

 

 

“She just came back. I think she’s living in that new high rise over the city park.”

 

 

 

“Wow! Your sister really has class. I thought rent costs over a million in that place.”

 

 

 

“She earns her dough. She decides what she can and what she can’t do with it. Besides, I think she bought the whole unit.” Jiyong leans over the table then taps on Seungri’s black folder. “Did you look into the background of this company? Are we good to go?”

 

 

 

“The black market gossip is giving me bad news.” Seungri says and Jiyong had a sudden bad feeling. “But then again, I hear they are desperate.”

 

 

 

“Desperate?”

 

 

 

“The company is in debt, neck deep.” Seungri opens his file and shows Jiyong the profile of the Yang Film Group. “But then, look at its past released films, his profile seems more promising than the other offers.”

 

 

 

“You just said they are in debt! What will they pay us if they can’t even handle that?” Jiyong stands up. “This is useless. I never should have agreed to this meeting.”

 

 

 

“Jiyong, did you even check the profile or did you call me immediately to take care of money matters without giving it a glance?” Seungri eyed him, suspicious.

 

 

 

“Well, you are better at money matters.” Jiyong sighed. “Look, maybe we can cancel at the last minute.”

 

 

 

“You want me to cancel now?” Seungri asked, opening the profile of the CEO of the company and showing it to Jiyong. The latter stared wide eyed at the photo. “I thought you should know.”

 

 

 

Seungri knew that Jiyong was seeing the CEO’s profile for the first time. How could he not recognize him? How could he not know? The handsome publicist shrugged his thoughts off when they hear a knock.

 

 

 

Two men in suits enter and they all exchange handshakes. One was a guy around their age, or maybe younger and he had this amiable smile that makes you want to smile back no matter how bad your day seems.

 

 

 

“Lee Seungri, publicist of Mr. Kwon. A pleasure to meet you.” Seungri says.

 

 

 

“Kang Daesung, Executive Director of Yang Films.” The smiling guy said. Seungri made a mental note that he had a strong grip.

 

 

 

“I’m Yang Min Suk, Director of Yang Films. Pleasure to meet with you, Mr. Lee & Mr. Kwon or should I call you, nephew?” He was smiling but Jiyong was too dumbstruck to move his mouth. “Your step father was rather dubious that you would like to take the offer if you saw him so he sent me.”

 

 

 

Seungri nudged Jiyong who seem to have frozen on spot. All men have sat down and Jiyong was still in a trance. Seungri began handling the negotiations on his own and Jiyong could just listen. In the middle of the talk, Seungri had to kick Jiyong’s foot under the table.

 

 

 

“Aw…” Jiyong grimaced.

 

 

 

“Jiyong, they were asking if we should get a scriptwriter or if you would write the script yourself. I was thinking that it will be more original if you did it.”

 

 

 

“Naturally, I’ll write the script.”

 

 

 

“Then his fee isn’t just for the copyright.” Seungri immediately said which made the 2 executives before him raise their brow. “Mr. Kwon’s book was #1 internationally. A lot of offers were given to him but he chose your company without even looking at your profile. It is a gamble, you would think, but then again, isn’t life all about gambling? Win or lose? Deal or no deal?”

 

 

 

“Then what is your price?” Daesung asked.

 

 

 

“8 milli” Seungri started to say but Jiyong stopped him.

 

 

 

“What was your offer?” Jiyong asked.

 

 

 

“Half a million for every month that we are filming then half the gross sales of the movie once released.” Daesung answered.

 

 

 

“Double if its reaches box office.” Seungri interjected.

 

 

 

“That’s fine.” Jiyong says and silenced Seungri with a glance. “Give me a week to finalize the script from the date of the contract signing.”

 

 

 

Min Suk and Daesung smiled and nodded.

 

 

 

“But, Jiyong…”

 

 

 

“I said its fine.” Jiyong said. “Finalize the contract and I’ll have our lawyers look into it.”

 

 

 

“Get back to us at once then we can schedule the contract signing.” Daesung said, already standing up and holding out a hand to Jiyong who immediately accepts.

 

 

 

“May I have a word, Jiyong?” Min Suk requested and both Seungri and Daesung left the room when Jiyong nodded.

 

 

 

“Why didn’t I know?” Jiyong suddenly asked. “He never told me that he needed money.”

 

 

 

“Jiyong, you know how prideful he is.” Min Suk said.

 

 

 

“No, I mean the company? Why didn’t I ever know of it?” Jiyong asked, turning to his uncle.

 

 

 

“I think its best if you talk to your father personally. You know where to find him.” Min Suk gave his shoulder a pat before turning to leave. “My work is done here. Your publicist is darn good. Don’t worry about the requests he made. I’m sure we’ll find a way to meet your demands. I hope to see you at the company building, soon I hope.”

 

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dara, come here!” Bom beckoned her to the small havana in the middle of the park where they sell snacks. Hayi and Hanbin were playing with their friends, the things they bought already tucked in the car. Dara approaches Bom who held out a sandwich and a drink to her. “I’m hungry. Let’s eat!”

 

 

 

“Thank you, Bom.”

 

 

 

“Call me Bommie. I sound so old when people call me Bom.” Bom glanced at Dara. “How old are you anyway? You’re probably the same age as Jiyong, aren’t you?”

 

 

 

Dara didn’t answer but Bom interpreted her silence as a “yes”. She was observing the younger girl. Dara never took her eyes off the children. She was also quite beautiful sans the snapback and the oversized jacket. How could she be just a nanny?

 

 

 

“Dara…”

 

 

 

“Yes?”

 

 

 

“Stop worrying about Hanbin. Technically, these kids are little adults. He’s very careful and truthfully, I’d trust my daughter with him.”

 

 

 

“I can see that they are very close.”

 

 

 

“Yes, they are. Hayi was born a year after Hanbin. Jiyong and I raised them together until Jiyong moved out of the house to live closer to his workplace. That was also the year his mother died.”

 

 

 

“His mother?”

 

 

 

“He and I, we aren’t really siblings. My mother died when I was just 3 and my father remarried when I was 15. He married Jiyong’s mother, Eun Joo. Then a year after I met Jiyong and we were just starting to get the hang of being a family, Eun Joo got pregnant with CL. She’s the one who shares blood with both us. Jiyong has always been distant to me except when Hayi was born. Since he took care of Hanbin on his own, he taught me how to take care of Hayi when she was just a baby.”

 

 

 

Even though she was already living among humans, and though her wings may be hidden, her strong empathy stayed with Sandara. She could feel just how much Bom loved his brother and how much she wanted to help him and show him that she cares.

 

 

 

“So I am thankful to Jiyong and it kills me how I see him so distant to his son.” Bom smiles when she turned to Dara. “But now I’m happy. I’m happy you’re with them, Dara. I hope you can help Jiyong and Hanbin get closer. In fact, I think you can do it because for the first time in so long, my brother reached out to me.” 

 

 

 

Bom held Dara’s hand. “So we have to do our next mission.”

 

 

 

“Mission?”

 

 

 

“My brother asked a favor from me and I promised I won’t let him down. So come on, let’s get you out of those disgusting men’s clothes. You deserve a whole new wardrobe change!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You as good as gave your services for free, Jiyong.” Seungri was shaking his head. Clearly, he wasn’t pleased with Jiyong’s decision.

 

 

 

“Would you rather let me loot my stepfather of the money, he doesn’t have?” Jiyong raised a brow at Seungri. “Min Suk said that he will try to meet your demands. Let’s wait for the contract.”

 

 

 

“Well, up to you.” Seungri noticed Jiyong looking at his phone. He’s been very distracted since the meeting then after that, while they were having lunch, he kept on playing with his phone. “Are you waiting for some call?”

 

 

 

“I sent a message to my son and he hasn’t replied.”

 

 

 

“I thought you said he has a nanny.”

 

 

 

“Ye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter