DOLOR

나의 수호 천사
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

나의 수호 천사

"My Guardian Angel"

 

The story of the last Grigori

 

 

 

DOLOR

“pain”

 

 

 

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

Steam arose from the warm waters that cleansed the mighty Dux of the High Guards. He sat on the marble pool, with closed eyes. Two more joined him, Jinwoo and Taehyun, his most trusted and reliable comrades, but he didn’t show any sign that he knew he had company.

 

 

 

“Would you rather hear this now or later?” Jinwoo asked, approaching the gutter where the Dux was leaning on, his back to them. “You are still trying to look for her. Have you felt her psyche?” He continued when the Dux didn’t answer.

 

 

 

“I can’t find her anymore.” The regret in Mino’s voice was obvious that Jinwoo and Taehyun looked at each other. “What happened to Seungyoon?”

 

 

 

“So I guess, we’re doing this now.” Taehyun shrugged. Mino rose from the water and took his robe to cover his body before facing his friends.

 

 

 

“Speak now, Jinwoo.”

 

 

 

“It seems that our dear little angel managed to seek Seungyoon’s help. He said that years ago, she appeared in his mind with a box of memory. He wasn’t able to see it but he had no choice but to do as she asked. This is the memory that is missing.”

 

 

 

“Gone?” Taehyun repeated. “Someone took it?”

 

 

 

“Not by any ordinary celestial.”

 

 

 

“This memory, is it what I think it is?” Mino asked and Jinwoo nodded. Taehyun ran his hand over his shiny locks of hair and sighed. Mino’s hands fisted.

 

 

 

“You we’re right.” Jinwoo looked at them both. “Once that memory finds its way back to Sandara, once she remembers, we will be forced to do what we should have done when we found her.”

 

 

 

“How will we stop it?” Taehyun asked. “There must be a way.”

 

 

 

“The Keeper, Seungyoon, chanced to look into my mind and saw that she has fallen. He deduced that perhaps her memory is linked to her pluma vitae. If Sandara finds her feather’s life, then so will she find the memory.”

 

 

 

“Where is it?” Mino asked, turning to Taehyun. “Where did Chaerin hide it?”

 

 

 

“I told her to keep it safe. I told her to hide the feather even from us.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In a dark room bedroom, a boy laughs in his sleep. A little girl smiles while watching him and her eyes widen as she noticed a glow from within his body, just by the area where his heart beats.

 

 

 

“He seems to be dreaming about something nice this time.”

 

 

 

The guardian angel by the boy turns to find another angel, perched by the window.

 

 

 

“How are you doing, Hayi?” She greets and the little angel smiles.

 

 

 

“Chaerin, the bad dreams seems to be disappearing. Could it be because of the feather you hid inside of him?” The angel, Hayi asks.

 

 

 

“Perhaps…” Chaerin smiles. She remembers the time that Sandara fell from heaven and she went looking for her. Her human found her friend and she was surprised when Jiyong took her to his home. That night, she left Sandara’s feather’s life with the boy, Hanbin. Trusting an instinct that told her that the pureness in the boy’s heart will keep the feather safe.

 

 

 

“I think it will be safe with him.” Hayi says. “I feel like good things are about to come to Hanbin and his family. Please don’t take it away.”

 

 

 

“No one is supposed to find it Hayi.”

 

 

 

“I will guard it for you just as I am guarding over Hanbin. I won’t tell anyone. You have an angel’s promise.”

 

 

 

Chaerin was thoughtful for a while as she looked at the face of the boy. She could feel just what he was feeling at the moment. Too different from the first time she came and he was having a nightmare. Her eyes widen at the glow within his heart.

 

 

 

“Is that?”

 

 

 

“I noticed it too. The feather is inside his heart.” Hayi informs her. “The glow was faint before and this is the first time its like this. I also see it when he’s with Dara.”

 

 

 

“Have you tried to speak to Dara?”

 

 

 

“I did but it seems that she can’t hear me. I know she was the angel who came with you and destroyed the Mora. What happened to her?”

 

 

 

“She’s becoming more human.” Chaerin says and Hayi sensed her regret. “Watch over her for me, Hayi?”

 

 

 

“I will. She has made Hanbin so happy.”

 

 

 

“So it seems. I’ll entrust the feather to you, and I hope it keeps him safe as well.”

 

 

 

“Thank you. You have my word.” Hayi says just before Chaerin disappears.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile, inside Dara’s room, just beside Hanbin's, a lady toss and turns in sleep. Cold sweat bathed her temple and her lips pursed together.

 

 

 

She was standing on a cliff. The vast ocean in front of her and the splash of waves against the rocks 50ft below her, echoed around. The Zephyr blew her golden brown locks of hair and her dress danced around her thighs, showing milky white skin. 

 

 

 

Sandara closed her eyes and spread her arms to her side, as invisible wings open behind her before she hops and jumps over the cliff. She smiles as the rush of wind on her face makes her feel alive as she dives down to the angry sea below her. As if to welcome her, the waves crashed and splashed water at the base.

 

 

 

However, just then, Sandara opens her eyes and instead of hitting the water, she bends her back to keep herself alight and her wings spread out, now visible. A movement from another cliff a few miles from where she was, caught her eye and the sound of a piercing cry of a demon reverberates in Sandara’s ears. She sees the demon on the water, waiting for its prey and when she adjusts her sight against the light, she sees the shadow of a human on the cliff, about to dive.

 

 

 

Sandara forces herself to pick up speed and save the poor soul, catching his body mid air, holding onto him tight and before they hit the water, she glances at the human’s face. 

 

 

 

“Jiyong…”

 

 

 

Sandara wakes gasping for air. The room was still dark and sun was just about to shine. She steadies her beating heart and evens out her breathing. She couldn’t recall the time she dozed off, and the dream, it was like a faded memory but now, she could hardly remember it. She stands and opens the curtains to look at the city before her.

 

 

 

Its another day and she smiles at the thought of another beginning.

 

 

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kwon Jiyong rummages around his closet, looking for a tie that he wanted to wear before going out his room. He greets his son on the breakfast table and his nanny who was pouring coffee in a cup for him. His eyes looks at the flowers in the middle of the kitchen counter.

 

 

 

“Oh, no new set for today?” Jiyong asks Dara. “These were the flowers yesterday, right?”

 

 

 

Just then, the doorbell rings and Sandara grins at Jiyong. She puts the coffee cup in front of him before going to the door and sees the delivery boy for the first time.

 

 

 

“Wait!” She says, taking the flowers he left by the doorstep. “You are the one bringing the flowers since 2 days ago, right?”

 

 

 

“Uhm…” The delivery boy was suddenly in panic, not knowing what to say for he was asked to keep the sender’s identity a secret. “Do you want milk? I also deliver milk!” He says. Dara giggles and nods. The boy walks closer to her and gives her a box of cow’s milk. Dara takes it and gives him some cash from her pocket.

 

 

 

“What’s your name?” She asks.

 

 

 

“Seunghoon.”

 

 

 

“It is nice to meet you, Seunghoon. And please tell whoever is sending these flowers, thank you.”

 

 

 

“Do you like them?” Seunghoon asks and she smiles before nodding. “I picked out the best ones! They are beautiful, like you.”

 

 

 

“Thank you.” She says then the elevator doors opened. “I think you better go. Thank you again.”

 

 

 

Back at the breakfast table, Jiyong was still staring at the flowers on the kitchen counter then he stands and throws them into the trash bin. 

 

 

 

“Why did you do that?” Hanbin asked.

 

 

 

“The flowers were dying. I don’t like the smell of dying flowers.” Jiyong answers and sits back down then easily changes the topic. “What’s your plan today?”

 

 

 

“I’m meeting Hayi today. We’re going to the park and play with our friends. Will it be all right?”

 

 

 

“Sure, its all right. I’ll be out today anyway.” Jiyong says and ruffles his hair. “Is Dara taking good care of you?”

 

 

 

“Yes she is!”

 

 

 

“You have to watch over her too, all right? Don’t let strangers get close to her.”

 

 

 

“Of course, I won’t Appa!” Hanbin tells him. “Dara is going to be my mom.”

 

 

 

“What was that?” Dara asks walking into the kitchen with a new set of flowers on her hands.

 

 

 

“Nothing!” Jiyong and Hanbin says at the same time. Dara fixes the flowers on a vase meticulously and Jiyong scowls.

 

 

 

“Who is it from?” He asks and Dara shrugs. “You don’t know?”

 

 

 

“I don’t. I met the boy who delivers them just now.”

 

 

 

“Why didn’t you ask him? What if there’s some poison in those flowers?”

 

 

 

“Jiyong, if the sender wanted to be known, he or she would have came to give it personally, right?” Dara tells him before sitting with them to eat.

 

 

 

“I still think its dangerous.” Jiyong says.

 

 

 

“If it was poisonous then shouldn’t I be dying by now?”

 

 

 

“You don’t die.” Jiyong says nonchalantly and Hanbin looks from his Dad to Dara, wondering if they were fighting like a married couple.

 

 

 

“I think they’re pretty.” Dara says.

 

 

 

“You are so easy to please.” Jiyong looks away from her before drinking his coffee.

 

 

 

“Send her flowers too, Appa! Dara likes flowers!”

 

 

 

“I’m allergic to flowers.” Jiyong mutters before standing up and Dara does the same. “No need to see me to the door. I’ll be back later. Hanbin, you still have some money?”

 

 

 

“I let Dara keep my money.” The boy turns to his nanny and she nods.

 

 

 

“I better go.” Jiyong says but Dara stops him.

 

 

 

“Your tie.” She says walking to him and fixing it in place. She holds the wide end over the small one and loops to the right to cross the front and up into the neck loop from underneath. She pulls the wide end through the loop and tightens the knot she made.

 

 

 

Jiyong was standing there, frozen staring at her, while she arranged his tie. It seems as if its the first time he’s looking at her face up close. How can there be anyone so flawless? The thought gave him goosebumps and he almost jumped when she spoke.

 

 

 

“There, done!” She says and Jiyong didn’t notice that he was holding his breath.

 

 

 

“Where did you learn this?”

 

 

 

“Bommie.” Dara answers before going back to her seat. “She said you don’t know the proper way to fix your tie.”

 

 

 

“You look good, Appa!” Hanbin says grinning at him. “You’ll be late!”

 

 

 

Jiyong just nods. “Thank you, Dara.”, and he says awkwardly before leaving.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_____________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Suenghoon was riding his bike back to his shop after he left Sandara’s place. He sent a message to Seunghyun that the flowers were delivered and that she liked them. He received a reply of thanks almost at once and the delivery boy was pleased that he was able to carry out his task. Work is important to him. Delivering milk, flowers and sometimes, newspapers was just like his true purpose in life.

 

 

 

Duty is important to him.

 

 

 

Because failing, meant never going back to how things once were. He was much a witness to how things can go wrong if he didn’t complete his tasks.

 

 

 

Seunghoon isn’t an ordinary delivery boy. While guardian angels looked out for their own humans, there were a group of angel messengers who worked for the whole mankind and serve as their bridge to the heavens. They help out in preventing catastrophes that will endanger humans on a larger scale. To go wrong, meant a massive destruction and that was never an option to them.

 

 

 

The bell by the door rings when Seunghoon enters his flower shop. He was done with his work and he was thinking of what to eat for breakfast. However, as soon as he closed the door, the blinds shut and the room darkened. He walked slowly to his counter and placed his bag on it before turning to the intruders inside his shop.

 

 

 

“To what do I owe this visit from the mighty High Guards?” He says, raising a brow at them.

 

 

 

“You have a pretty place here.” Taehyun says, picking one lily and holding it against his nose. “We ought to pay a messenger a visit once in a while, you know.”

 

 

 

“I’m sure you didn’t come here for the flowers.”

 

 

 

“Can’t we visit a friend that we haven’t seen for a long time?” Jinwoo asks, appearing behind him, sitting on the high chair by the counter. “You have a lot of cash.”

 

 

 

“Can we not play guessing games? What do you really want?” Seunghoon asks, rolling his eyes and taking the money Jinwoo was counting from his safe box. “They’re mine. Taehyun, if you’re not buying, put them down.”

 

 

 

“We need a place to stay.” Seunghoon whipped around and saw the Dux leaning in the shadowed corner of the flower shop. “We need your help, Seunghoon. You are the only Angelos that we know and trust.”

 

 

 

“Yes, but just as you said, I am an Angelos, I'm just a messenger. I don’t fight.”

 

 

 

Seunghoon was flustered to find the commander of the High Guards inside his shop. He looked at the others who nodded at him. Taehyun snapped his finger and the blinds opened, making the room brighter and Seunghoon saw that they were all in their human form. Their wings hidden, just like his.

 

 

 

“What do you need me for?”

 

 

 

“We’re not going to fight, or at least, I hope we don’t.” Mino walks toward him. “We’re here to look for something. We just need a place to stay. We won’t bother you for long.”

 

 

 

“You better not. My flowers are pricey and I will be in trouble if by chance I get caught in between whatever your business is, here on earth.”

 

 

 

“Don’t worry!” Jinwoo puts a hand around his shoulder. “Its not demon business.”

 

 

 

“What is it that you need to find? Why can’t you just let others do it? The High Guards don’t come down from their palace! Isn’t that what I was made to do? To bring you warning or to tell you anything about the humans and if they are in danger from the worst of demons. Did I somehow fail you?”

 

 

 

“Don’t be scared, Seunghoon. You didn’t fail anyone.” Taehyun says, picking up a white lily. “Its something not exactly part of our duty as soldiers.”

 

 

 

“Tell me. At least let me know what you came here for. I will offer you my home in exchange for that knowledge.”

 

 

 

“The less you know the better…” Jinwoo began to say.

 

 

 

“Then find somewhere else to stay.” Seunghoon insisted.

 

 

 

“We are looking for a feather.” Mino spoke. “An angel’s feather. If it falls in the wrong hands, then that's the time that we might have to fight.”

 

 

 

“An angel’s feather. Are you sure it is even in the area? What if its in Cabo or maybe the North Pole or Russia?”

 

 

 

“We aren’t certain but we are taking our chances.” Taehyun said. “The angel’s human is somewhere in this place. Perhaps she could be here and maybe, so is her feather’s life.”

 

 

 

“Feather’s life? You mean a fallen angel could be somewhere around my side of town?” Seunghoon was shocked. “Wouldn’t I know? I should still be able to feel her psyche, right?”

 

 

 

“We also tried to search for her but we failed.” Jinwoo answered.

 

 

 

“There is only one angel who was able to hide her psyche from others when she’s in the human world. She’s the angel that we’re looking for.” Mino walked forward to stand in front of Seunghoon. “We need your help. We will pose as humans, our powers reduced. You will help us try to hide our true forms.”

 

 

 

“Why am I having the strong feeling that its even far more dangerous than demon business?” Seunghoon sighs. 

 

 

 

“Please, Seunghoon?” Taehyun tries his charm. “We can even help out in your sales!”

 

 

 

“All the profit goes to me?” Seunghoon asks.

 

 

 

“Even tips.” Jinwoo grins at him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter