CHAPTER VIII

Just Admit It

As soon as school ended, Minkyung dragged me along to the nearest shoe store. I was in no mood to shop, well I never liked shopping much in the first place; but I’d rather be here than at home. After what happened in the classroom with Lay, I didn’t have the courage to face him, let alone be in the same room as him. My thoughts were all over the place. And every time I thought about him, my heart would race.

Something was very wrong with me right now.

“It that you’re not going tomorrow night.” Min sighed. I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at her as she pulled out a pair of golden heels from a shoe box. When did she ask the salesperson to get them?

Should I tell her? “You see…” I fiddled with my fingers, not daring to look at her. I could feel her gaze upon me already without the need to look up.

“Aish, you never tell me anything anymore!” She cried. “If this goes on, I’ll be the last person to find out when you’re engaged. Some best friend you are.”

I rolled my eyes. So dramatic. I’ve always wondered why she’s teaching History and not Drama.

“Wait a second,” She swivelled around in her seat and looked at me with astonishment, “Since when were you going? Do you even have a dress? Shoes?”

A sigh escaped my lips, “Since last Wednesday, yes and yes.”

“When did you have the time to buy a dress?” She stood up in her heels and gracefully walked over to the floor length mirror, twisting from side to side as she checked the pair of golden pumps.

I shrugged, “I didn’t.” 

I glanced up and saw her reaction through the reflection of the mirror, “Who’s that special someone?” She smirked.

Special someone my .

 

 

 

“He doesn’t know it, but he definitely has a thing for you.” Min stated again. She seemed to be really confident in what she was saying, but I had my doubts.

Lay couldn’t possibly have ‘a thing’ for me. What he has is the habit to tease me which as a result leads me on to think he does.

“That’s impossible.” I breathed out. Stupid, confusing Chinese boy. I let out an irritated sigh and slumped in my seat, looking out the window for a change of view. Maybe Min’s right about this one…

I could see her glance at me from the reflection of the window, “I’m correct, right?”

“Honestly…” I wish it were true.

“You wish I was right.” She finished off. I breathed out and nodded. “What has that boy done to our Hyeonju?” Min chuckled to herself. “He hasn’t kissed you, has he?” She abruptly asked. Luckily, the car had stopped, otherwise who knows what would’ve happened. “Yah! Don’t ignore me!”

I snorted, “No. Do you think I’m that easy?”

Min was silent after my reply. I could feel her eyes on me, reading my body language. “He’s kissed you, hasn’t he?” She finally spoke. I gave in and nodded. “When?”

“It was an accident, plus—” He doesn’t even know it. But Min doesn’t need to know the details; otherwise she won’t stop nagging me about letting a drunk guy taking advantage of me.

“Plus…?”

“He apologised.” Min silently nodded, acknowledging my answer.

“You know what, now that you’re here, let’s talk.” She shuffled in her seat so that she could face me. “Something’s up, and it’s bothering you. I betcha it involves him.”

Was it that obvious? Was he really bothering me to the point that I’ve been acting different lately?

“Come on, spill it.” She pushed on.

From the beginning when I moved in up until earlier that morning, I told Min almost everything involving Lay. Except the details with his ‘accidental’ kiss and whatnot. Min didn’t need to know the finer details to that incident.

She was silent the entire time I spoke, only nodding at certain times and sighing when he ticked her off. I was glad to have a friend like Min, and I was glad she made me talk.

It made me realise why my heart was acting that way whenever he was around.

 

Min nodded in satisfaction after I finished pouring out my thoughts and gestured for me to hop out. Knowing her, I knew she wanted to say more, but held back. “I’ll pick you up tomorrow afternoon. Bring your dress and the stuff you need with you as well.”

I nodded, giving her a smile to indicate that I was okay. “Thanks Min. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

 

Lay opened the door just as I was about to reach out, giving me a slight scare. He opened his mouth to speak, but I didn’t give him the chance. I didn’t want to hear his voice right now.

“Thanks.” I pushed past him. He grabbed my arm and instinctively, I swatted him away. I caught a glimpse of the hurt spreading across his face, but for some reason, I felt no remorse.

“Hyeonju…” he called out. My heart raced at the way my name rolled off his tongue. I wanted him to call my name again. I stopped, giving him the chance to say what he wanted.

Silence followed.

“Say what you want Lay, I’m in no mood to deal with your crap right now.” I huffed, waiting for a couple more seconds. He just stood there, watching me with confused eyes.

“Have I done something wrong?” He finally spoke.

I scoffed; was he actually serious? I could feel the anger slowly bubbling inside of me. “I don’t know Lay, you tell me.” There was so much I wanted to say, so much I wanted to tell him. But I was in no place to do so. Lay needed to find out himself, because frankly, I was sick and tired of him leading me on with no end result in sight.

He blinked at me, taking in my words. I stood rooted for a little longer, giving him another chance to speak. But I was beginning to think my time for him was a complete waste. I got fed up waiting and let out a frustrated sigh, leaving him by the door with the same confused look.

 


 

sorry if i disappointed you with this chapter :(
chapter 9 has been written, i just need to proof read it and hopefully, i can un-hide it later tonight :)

(250614)