CHAPTER XII

Just Admit It

I forgot to delete the 'UPDATE' chapter before posting this one, so some of you may have seen the wrong chap heh. sorry. 


Once I arrived at school on the following Monday, I could hear students chattering about gala left and right. Two days had gone past, but the event continued to be the hot topic in every conversation.

Like them, the events of Friday night’s gala never ceased to leave my mind and over the weekend, despite the regret that filled me, the images continued to haunt me. I didn’t know if should’ve classified it as haunting, but I seriously felt like digging a hole for myself and hiding in it for the next century or so. Maybe I felt embarrassed seeing that I had no idea who the mystery guy was, but then again, it just made everything more exciting.

I had to suppress the giggle that was threatening to escape my lips. It’d be bad if my students saw me giggling to myself in the middle of the hallway. Although, I hoped they couldn’t see the light blush on my cheeks as of this moment.

“Miss Lee!” I heard someone call, pulling me out of my train of thoughts. I swivelled around just to see Min sauntering her way over with a knowing smile. “Could you come with me for a moment?” She ever-so-sweetly asked. Something was fishy with her expression. Min didn’t usually act that way unless she was hiding something. I faked a pleasant smile and shook my head. Her face fell, the grin completely disappearing.

“Class is about to begin Miss Kang.” I returned her sweet smile and left her in the corridor. Seeing the look on her face, what Min was hiding definitely involved me. She knew something which I didn’t and it only annoyed her even more when I ignored her.

 

My morning lesson dragged on despite the weather outside being bright and sunny. Nothing felt gloomy, but I had a bad feeling growing in me, like I knew something ill-fated was going to happen anytime soon. Although I only had two lessons today, the three hour break I had in between wasn’t able to do anything to rid of this uneasy feeling. The fact that my lessons were the first and last of the day obviously made everything feel even more horrible than it was to begin with.

But it wasn’t until my last class did I finally realise what this ill feeling was.

There were about ten minutes until the bell would ring to signal the end of school day. As if on cue, one of my students sitting beside the window shot up from her seat and pressed her face against the glass. Immediately following her abrupt movement, the female population of the room rushed to her side. What followed was a round of ear-splitting squeals and screams. The boys glanced at me, waiting for my next move, but I simply shrugged and gestured to the clock.

Math being the last lesson of the day and there being only ten minutes left; what power did I hold?

That being said, I was just as curious as my students were. It wasn’t until my eyes found their way to what was so intriguing did I lose my interest and regret doing so.

As soon as our eyes met, I felt my heart pound in my chest, each beat thumping loudly in my ear. I didn’t know what came over me, but the images of my make-out session with the mysterious being flashed in my mind. I could feel my cheeks heat up as the blush made its appearance. But despite all the thrilling thoughts that bounced around my mind, I couldn’t find the strength to tear my eyes away and neither did he. It was like a long distance staring contest in which the first to look away would be the loser. And from the looks of it, I was on the losing side.

“Oppa is staring at me!”

“Nahh! Our eyes like totally met first.”

“Puh-lease, he’s staring at me!”

I forced my eyes to look elsewhere when the girls’ pointless argument broke into my thoughts. But I didn’t hesitate in glancing at him again. I was pleasantly surprised to see that he was still looking in my direction. Involuntarily, a smile played on my lips as I shook my head. But as soon as it had appeared, it vanished when I noticed what he was mouthing.

At that moment, I felt as if my heart was about to rip itself out of my body.

“What’d he say!? What did he say!? Did anyone else see what he was saying!?”

“That smirk! Oh, if only I wasn’t a minor, then he’d be mine.”

“SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT HE SAID!”

It was the exact same two words I heard that night. The two words that made my heart thump loudly; the two words that made me lose my strength in his arms, the two words that he whispered before the frenzy began.

 

“You totally ignored me this morning! I had something important to tell you!” Min complained once all my students were no longer in hearing distance. I rolled my eyes and continued on with what I was doing before she barged in. Seeing that she was already waiting outside the room when the students were filing out, Min must’ve allowed her students out earlier.

“It probably isn’t that important.” I shrugged my shoulders. I could see her pout in the corner of my eye. It was irritating her even more since I wasn’t giving a single damn about it.

She harrumphed, the pout on her lips visibly clearer. “How would you know? What I know now could be life or death.” She threatened with a ‘deadly’ tone.

I chuckled at her attempt to pull me with her wicked ways. “Fine. What is so important that the legendary Kang Minkyung is hiding that could threaten the lives of the people of Earth?”

Min rolled her eyes at my choice of words. Nonetheless, she didn’t leave a single second and immediately spilled out what was bugging her all day.

“So apparently—this is apparently—during the time you disappeared, the chairman’s son was nowhere to be found. But get this, as I was rushing you back inside, I saw him heading into the function room.”

The images instantaneously flashed in my mind again, awakening the unwanted thoughts.

Either I heard wrong, or I heard wrong.

“W-What do you mean?” I honestly couldn’t comprehend what I just heard. Were my ears really deceiving me? Did everything just have to get worse? Is this some sort of trick? Am I in some sort of hidden camera show? If so, someone please just tell me.

I didn’t even wait for her response and left the room without saying another word. I hoped Min would understand the reason behind my sudden departure.  

 

Was this some sort of sick joke my life is pulling on me?

 

 

 

The journey home felt like time had slowed down. I was glad he wasn’t at home when I got back. I felt like a zombie, not really knowing my destination or objection, yet I was doing things as usual like any normal human being would.

But then I found myself thinking about him again.

Hadn’t I thought enough as I was making my way home?

What did he really want from me? Was I just some toy for him? Entertainment?

Was I really just the cleaner girl?

But asking myself all these questions, it finally hit me. And it hit me very hard.

I had fallen too hard.

It struck me how much I was expecting the same from him. That our feelings would be mutual. But then I remembered those words he said to me when I first moved in.

‘Do not fall in love with me.’

Should I still hope for the best? Or give up now?

They were simple and precise words, but the more I thought about the more I realised that there was another meaning to it; which at that time I didn’t understand.

But it feels as if I know now.

Living with him for the past couple of months allowed me to see a few sides to him. When he’s angry, happy, whatever you name it. But one thing that I noticed was, no matter how much he was trying to show how happy he was, I could see the fear and pain in his eyes. They were always present, always re-appearing if not. As if all those moments brought back horrible memories.

 


Hi, I'm kinda back...

Did I perhaps...rush things a little?

This chapter didn't turn out how I wanted it to, but I don't want to leave you guys hanging anymore so I'm going to finish it soon.
Maybe, 2-3 more chapters until it'll be completed :)

Please leave a comment my lovely subbies ^^ & thank you for sticking with me even though I've been a terrible author :')

(281114)