CHAPTER VI

Just Admit It

Hopefully you guys noticed that I double updated on the 19th with chapter's 4 & 5


White board marker squeaks sounded throughout the small classroom as I wrote down a list of math formulae. The students sitting behind me obediently copied them into their work books while whispering to each other about the upcoming event the school was going to hold.

“Who are you taking to the charity gala?” a hushed voice questioned.

“I don’t know yet. Maybe I’ll ask Miss Song.” The latter guffawed to himself.

I silently chuckled and finished off the last question. Good luck with that buddy.

I clapped my hands together, gaining their attention. “Okay class, since no one’s going to get their work done this lesson, I’ll let you hand it in on Monday, but make sure you’ve copied it all down before you leave.” The classroom erupted into a loud cheer as I shook my head, knowing very well that I won’t receive all 30 sheets of answered math formulae by Monday.

“Miss Lee.” A student called gaining the attention of his classmates. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at me.

I blinked a couple of times at the large sea of brown eyes. “Yes Jiwoon?”

“Are you going to the charity gala next Friday?”

I shrugged, “Maybe.”

“If you are, who are you going with?” Lay’s face popped into my mind for some odd reason, lighting a small fire in the pits of stomach. I shook my head to rid those thoughts.

“I’ll be going by myself.”

A wave of ‘aww’s’ echoed as a result. “Will you go with me Miss Lee?” some idiot boldly yelled out loud. I furrowed my eye brows and looked the culprit. Lee Minhwan.

I sighed and rolled my eyes, “No Lee Minhwan.”

“Then I’ll ask Miss Song.” He quickly replied with confidence that he’ll receive a yes from her.

I shrugged, “Go ahead.”

The bell went off, signalling the end of another lesson and the beginning of lunch. The students sprang up from their seats and darted out the door within seconds. Without rush, I made my way to the teacher’s lounge.

A short vibration caught my attention and I looked down to see a new message notification.
 

Come to the office, and don’t think about running off today >:|
-Min
12:36PM

 

Okay
-Hyeonju
12:36PM

 

“Sit down, I’ll grab us a cup of coffee.” Min pointed towards the empty lounge area as soon as I walked in. I sighed, knowing that she wanted to have a chat with me.

 A knock came from the door just as I was about to sit down. I sighed again and made my way over. “Hey Miss Lee!” Minhwan greeted with a toothy grin. I returned his smile. “Is Miss Song here?”

“Miss Song! A student wishes to see you.” I called out.

Min popped her head out from the miniature kitchen. “Who?” She mouthed.

I was just about to say his name, but realised that this was my chance to escape from here. “LMH.” Min’s eyes widened and quickly made her way over.

Let me tell you one thing. Min loves Lee Minho.

“H-hi Miss Song.” The student earlier stuttered, his cheeks glowing a bright shade of pink.

Minkyung gritted her teeth and in her breath before replying with a smile, “Lee Minhwan. What brings you here today?” She side glanced at me with slitted eyes. Oh, if looks could kill, I’d be dead by now.

“I-I was wondering…do you want to go to the charity gala with me?” Minhwan’s gaze was on the ground while his feet shuffled from side to side. His arms were behind him, while he fiddled with his fingerss

“Sorry Minhwan, maybe you should ask a student.” Minkyung smiled apologetically.

Grabbing the required folders, I sniggered and hurriedly snuck out the other door before Minkyung could get to me. Sorry Min, maybe next time.

 

Walking past the main entrance, I noticed a small crowd forming by the door. Girls especially, were whispering and giggling to one another while hiding behind their books. I followed their line of sight, curious as to what the commotion was.

Oh. Just a bunch of guys. I didn’t bother checking properly; I wasn’t in the mood to deal with this sort of thing right now. Hey, a teacher also needs a break.

“Hyeonju! Ah, Miss Lee!” The sound of Lay’s voice reached my ear.

Ohhhh…

I slowly turned to see Lay making his way in, my eyes enlarging at the sight. I stood rooted to the ground, for some reason, unable to find the ability to leave. But as the distance between us decreased, I regained my senses.

Our eyes met for a split second before I glanced at my non-existent watch, “Ah, would you look at the time.” I muttered to myself, pretending as if I hadn’t seen him and my heels. I hurriedly escaped the hallway, while the profanities in my head went off.

“Miss Lee!” He called out with a playful tone. I could tell he was getting pissed that I was ignoring him. But I didn’t want the entire school to know that I had any sort of relationship with this guy. Well at least that’s what I planned on until he showed up. That’s it, I’m going to stab him while he’s sleeping tonight.

Wow, when did I become such a violent person?

I turned another corner and spotted my classroom. Why does it have to be at the end of the hallway!? The door was so close I could almost feel the cool metal on my fingertips. But once again, my cries of help were not heard. I felt a zap as Lay wrapped his fingers around my wrist, forcefully turning me around to face him.

“Hi.” I meekly smiled at him. I had temporarily forgotten the reason as to why I was ignoring him. He rolled his eyes and revealed his dimples at the crowd that had now formed around us and pulled me into the room, locking it afterwards. Students outside crowded around the door in curiosity as they attempted to eavesdrop.

“What are you doing? They’re going to misunderstand!” I cried, but stupidly made no attempt to move to the door.

He let go of my wrist and shrugged his shoulders, making himself comfortable on one of the desks. I crossed my arms, waiting for him to give me a proper answer. “Weren’t you with a few others?” I noticed the lack of presence of his friends when he didn’t respond. He shrugged again.

A frustrated sigh escaped my lips, maybe I should just stab him now.

“Did you say something?”

I blinked, unable to find answer him, “N-no.” I shook my head.

“You did!” He got up and stepped towards me with a slight smirk on his lips. Involuntarily, I stepped back. “Then why are you moving away?”

The small fire was ignited again and I let out a shaky breath. Compose yourself Hyeonju. He’s teasing you again, and you know it. Just ignore him, and pretend he’s not there.

It was hard and I couldn’t possibly pretend he wasn’t standing inches from me when I could even smell his cologne.

Lay scoffed when I didn’t reply and took bigger steps, closing the gap between us. My back pressed against the back wall, causing my breath to hitch. The distance between us had suddenly decreased at an alarming rate.

I glanced up at him, wanting so badly to wipe that smirk off his pretty little face. But my reasoning got the more of me. I let out an agitated huff and looked anywhere but his lips. They were so plump, and it didn’t help that they were right in front of my eyes. His tongue peeked out and glided across his bottom lip. He knew very well that I could see it all through my peripheral vision. I gulped and tore my gaze away, wishing I were taller, and then maybe I’d be looking at his nose instead and wouldn’t feel so awkward.

 

A gasp left my lips when I suddenly felt his hand on my hip. He leaned in without a second more, his warm breath tickling my ear as he did so. A shiver ran down my body to the tip of toes and I froze, unable to speak nor move. All thoughts of pissing him off, annoying him or simply ignoring him had all gone out the window.

Just like my heart.

“You can keep denying it, but I heard you.” 

 


(210614)