The Familiar You

It's Ok, You Don't Have to Love Me Back

On a bright Sunday morning, a garden full of guests dressed up in formal wears walking around, engage in conversation among themselves, and looking rather cheerful for the event that will be held in a short moment. Among the guests, a group of people was standing among themselves, happily talking about their high school times.

It was a wedding ceremony of a teacher in SJB High School. And the teacher invited his students to be part of the happiness in his life.

And no doubt, the most prominent figure in SJB High School, Choi Siwon, was the centre of attraction in the group of his ex-classmates.

 

"Can't believe our student head is now the CEO of Choi Enterprise, in such a short period of time." One male spoke with a sip of the champagne on his hand.

"Indeed, only Choi Siwon can do way beyond what we are capable of." Another laughed while praising Siwon, who was the person at the highest position among the others.

"Not to mention the number of girls who had fallen over him."

"But he only has eyes for the school belle. Though they didn't last long."

"His current girlfriend is somebody as well. Kwon Yuri, the daughter of the biggest automobile company, isn't it Siwon?"

Siwon smiled and nodded at the question towards him. Of course he did better than any of his ex-classmates on the spot, he started off way better than them in the beginning.

 

Just then, a happy-looking being ran towards them and greeted them with a wide grin on his face.

"Lee Donghae! You are always the late one!"

"I am sorry! I was being held up." Donghae stuck out his tongue to apologize, "Hey Siwon!" He turned and hugged his best friend.

But Siwon was not surprised to see him, "Didn't I just saw you last night?" He lowered his voice, "With Hyukjae? Did you get held up by him?"

"Yah....!" Donghae blushed as he released the hug, "Did I miss anything?"

 

"So how many rounds did you and him do in the morning?" Siwon sat down with Donghae while the clique dispersed to find other familiar faces to rekindle their memories in high school.

"Tsk... Since when you are interested in my life?" Donghae gulped a mouthful of champagne, "You shouldn't make him work so late last night. We only had a few hours together, which is rather sad."

"You had last night and this morning. Isn't that enough?" And he got a slap on his arm from Donghae. "I have no choice, there is a project going on. I went back to the company after I had the drinks with you and Hyukjae, mind you." Siwon continued.

"Don't be such a workaholic. Otherwise, Yuri will run away."

Siwon remained silence for a while, with his eyes averted to give the surroundings some attention.

"Why are there three standing microphones on stage? Who is going to sing?" Siwon asked.

Donghae shrugged, "Probably Mr Kang's students from the singing club? You do know he is in charge of the singing club back in high school, right?"

"Singing club..."

Siwon widened his eyes as he mumbled the words from his mouth.

 

No way...! No wonder I find him familiar!!!

 

Before Siwon could react, the scene in front of him had his doubts answered, when the music started to play at the background, with three males standing in front of the microphones.

"Hey... Isn't that...KRY the singing trio from the singing club?" Donghae pointed out, "Kim Jongwoon still look the same huh? And Kim Ryeowook the petite looking one. And...Cho Kyuhyun the one who swooned the students with his singing voice. Woah, I still remember their names! Haha..!"

 

Indeed, one of them, was his secretary, Cho Kyuhyun.

-------------------

Flashback

Siwon was in the student council's room dealing with a few document after his last lesson. Being the responsible student head, he has to ensure that the council functioned properly under his lead. As what his father said to him when he chose to enroll in a normal (but considered the best in the neighbourhood) high school, he had to excel within his capabilities and abilities. That is what a Choi should do, no matter where he is.

Stretching himself a little once he had the document sorted, he stood to take his leave for the day. 

But something caught his attention as he was walking down the corridors. Voices singing in harmony.

Must be the singing club again... He thought, not giving further thoughts and continued his walk.

 

Just then, a solo singing voice made him stopped once again. A voice that he never hear before in the school campus.

A very refreshing singing voice.

 

Feeling curious, Siwon stood outside the singing club's room, and peeped through the windows to see the owner of that refreshing voice.

A male, standing next to Kim Jongwoon (Classmate of Siwon and was well-known as The Singing Art of SJB High School), was singing aloud under the instruction of the instructor.

A freshman... Siwon concluded.

And he stood there for a few minutes just to hear the freshman sang.

 

That was so unlike him... The student head to peep at someone who caught his attention just by the singing voice.

He shook his head at the ridiculous action, and continued his walk down the corridors. However he was stopped again with only two steps, by the freshman himself.

"What are you looking at?" The freshman frowned.

Being caught at the action, Siwon blinked his eyes not knowing how to answer that. This was the first time that he got confronted for getting caught in peeping.

"So a student head will go around peeping at others when he is free, huh?" The freshman folded his arms across his chest while he continued his words.

Oh... So you know I am the student head, and you speak to me this way?! Siwon thought.

 

"You are rather daring, since you know I am the student head." Siwon spoke finally. He can't lose to a freshman, isn't it?!

"Because your peeping action doesn't reflect that you deserve the respect." The freshman retorted.

"As a student head, it is my right to check on the school grounds, making sure things are going on smoothly." Siwon finally found a reason to fight back, after cracking his head through as fast as possible.

"And how noble are you to check on the singing club which is not of your interest at all, student head. Aren't you a more sports person?" The freshman was fast as well, in throwing back the words at Siwon.

 

The people in the singing club and the teachers were crowding at the windows to hear the bickering between the newly recruited freshman who stunned the teachers in his singing, and the almighty student head. What an interesting sight to see someone bickering with Choi Siwon.

Not wanting to lose to a freshman, Siwon moved towards to the freshman, and lowered himself to the freshman's ear.

 

"You are right, I know nuts about singing. But you have a fantastic singing voice, which accidentally caught my attention. And I can tell you, I am impressed. In both your guts and singing. You are something, freshman." Siwon whispered right into the freshman's ear, and pulled away to see the shocking look in his face. 

Satisfied with the look from the freshman, Siwon smiled his mega-watt dimpled smile, and gave a small pat on the freshman's shoulder before he walked away.

--------------------

Present

Siwon was focused in the songs that the trio is singing on the stage. With some memories of the high school dawned upon him, he finally remembered that the freshman whom captured his attention once, and many other times when the singing club performed on school's events.

That freshman, was none other than his secretary, Cho Kyuhyun.

Together with his singing's friends, Kim Jongwoon and Kim Ryeowook who formed a trio sub group from the singing club in high school, they stood on the stage, giving the blessings to their teacher through singing wholeheartedly.

And Siwon was once again, immersed in the singing voice from Kyuhyun. He had forgotten how this singing voice caught his attention once, and how that freshman retorted him with his snarky words. 

 

Didn't he showed his dislike towards me at our first encounter? Why would he want to work for me? And why didn't he admit that we knew each other beforehand? Siwon was indeed, getting more curious about Kyuhyun, full of questions swimming in his head.

 

As for Kyuhyun, he couldn't stop trembling when he saw Siwon standing at a corner staring right at him. He knew, taking up this invite in singing on his teacher's wedding day, would lead him to the exposure of his true identity to Siwon. Afterall, their first encounter was not a pleasant one. How would he know that he will end up liking the student head whom he dislike so much in the beginning?

But under the persuasion of his senior Jongwoon, he agreed to sing on this special day, relunctantly...

 

"Its been a while since we get together to sing. You had been so busy to be the top in the university and now working life... Lets have fun on this day, shall we? I missed those days where we always sing together in school..."

 

He decided he shall run away from the wedding venue, right after their small performance, to avoid the questions that he predicted will be bombarded at him. So when the last note of the last song ended, he whispered a word of "Sorry" to Jongwoon and Ryeowook, and scrambled off the stage before they could say anything to stop him.

"Should we go after him?" Jongwoon asked Ryeowook, once they were off stage.

"I guess, we will be extra if we did." Ryeowook smirked as he pointed at the figure who followed the direction where Kyuhyun exited.

 

Siwon was fast enough to notice Kyuhyun exited his way out in hurry. His long legs took off immediately trailing on Kyuhyun, ignoring the people calling out for him.

 

"Am I blamed to bring Kyuhyun here?" Jongwoon was guilty, as he fully awared of how Kyuhyun talked back to the student head back then.

"You don't have to worry, sunbae. In fact, they have been seeing each other for weeks." Ryeowook smirked.

"Huh?" Jongwoon was confused totally, seeing Ryeowook whistling happyily as they walked off to greet others of the same high school.

 

Kyuhyun stopped running when he reached an area full of trees, blocking his way.

Darn... I should have ran out to the road and hail a cab...

He turned around wanting to leave, but was shocked to see Siwon folding his arms across his chest, looking rather puzzled.

DAMNNNNN!

 

"Secretary Cho.. May I ask, where are you running to?" Asked Siwon.

Kyuhyun avoided the look from Siwon, pretending he didn't hear the question.

"Kyuhyun." Siwon tried again, "Why didn't you tell me, that you are my hoobae at SJB High School?"

Kyuhyun was not looking at Siwon, knowing what kind of effect this guy had on him.

"Why did you choose to work for me, when...you dislike me rather much, if I did not recall wrongly?" Siwon moved towards Kyuhyun, eyes still on Kyuhyun.

Knowing Siwon was getting closer to him, Kyuhyun could only back his feet a few steps away from Siwon. Still avoiding on the questions.

 

"Are you taking revenge on me? Trying to find my weakness to beat me down?"

 

That question finally got Kyuhyun's attention. And he shot his head up, looking straight into the dark orbs of Siwon. And red colour instantly filled his cheeks.

"I...didn't... It was just...coincidence... And...it was my mistake...to...be rude at...you..." Kyuhyun stammered as he tried to form his words.

"You weren't this timid, as I recalled." Siwon smirked.

"I..."

"Where was the freshman who had his pride so high that he has no respect for the student head?"

"Like...like I said... It was a mistake. I know....it was my fault.. But I don't...hate you...anymore..." Kyuhyun bit his lips, hoping that Siwon could back off a little, as their faces were rather near. Kyuhyun could even smell the cologne from Siwon.

"You don't hate me anymore? So...you admitted that you hated me before?"

Kyuhyun gasped.

"What about now? You don't hate me now?"

"No... I don't..." Kyuhyun gulped down as he answered that question.

 

But I can't tell you I like you, right?!

 

Siwon blinked his eyes, when he saw Kyuhyun's cheeks were filled with tinge of pink.

Blushing again? How many personalities do you have actually?

 

And why am I thinking of describing your blush as 'adorable' again?!

 

Siwon cleared his throat as he backed off a little, and chuckled a little when he heard Kyuhyun inhaled a deep breath.

"Good that you don't hate me anymore. Afterall, I am your boss. It will be awkward, if you hate your own boss, right?" Siwon smiled.

That smile again... Kyuhyun had to pinch himself to keep himself sane.

"And it is good to hear you sing again. Your singing voice, is still as refreshing. It is a pity you pursued IT as your major, and worked as secretary under me."

Kyuhyun could feel the blood running up to his cheeks again when he heard the praises from Siwon.

 

"Singing is just a hobby. My interest is still what I had learnt..." Kyuhyun explained.

And you are my interest as well...

 

"You are one very interesting person." Siwon chuckled, wondering aloud from his thoughts.

And I want to know more about you...

 

Kyuhyun's heart skipped a beat, hearing the chuckle from Siwon. That was one beautiful sound...

 

Just when he was intoxicating by the chuckle, a strong wind blew out of the sudden, causing the leaves from the trees to fall gracefully to the ground. Kyuhyun had to close his eyes from the strong wind, while the wind blew his fluffy hair and the coat to one side, with the leaves falling around him.

 

And this sight had stunned Siwon that he widened his eyes and held his breath in devouring such beautiful sight. Especially the closed eyes Kyuhyun with the slight blush on his cheeks...

 

Like a breathtaking painting... Like...Gone With the Wind...

 

When Kyuhyun opened his eyes, he found himself drowned in the stares from Siwon. Though knowing the effect that Siwon had on him, Kyuhyun did not look away this time...not caring about the pink blushes that took over his face entirely.

 

And hell know how long did they stand at the position... As none was willing to move a step away from each other...at that magical moment.

-------------------

Kyuhyun was done with reporting the schedules that Siwon had, before his trip to Maldives. Everytime, whenever the thought of Siwon going to Maldives on Valentines's Day, it gave a small jab to his heart... Kyuhyun sighed, knowing he has no rights to be disappointed in. He was afterall, just a secretary, or just a hoobae...

Though he had hoped he could rewind to the moment where they shared at that garden...even though it was a short while...

 

"You should have confessed! That was such a wonderful moment!!" Changmin felt rather wasted for Kyuhyun after knowing what had happened from Ryeowook.

"That was what I told him, when he returned to the wedding with a face full of red." Ryeowook sighed.

"Cho Kyuhyun, you are so failed. You went to his company to be his secretary, and he remembered you, praised you for your singing voice, and EVEN had a staring game with you! Why didn't make use of the good chance?" Changmin frowned.

"Yah! How could I?! He has a girlfriend! I can't just go upfront and declare my interest to him!" Kyuhyun turned his embarrassment to anger, "And what can he do with my confession?! Break up with his girlfriend? He is going to Maldives with her, on Valentines' Day. I stand no chance at all! And thanks to you Shim Changmin for the suggestion to make me go work for him! And you Kim Ryeowook for asking me to go sing at the wedding!" And he left the conversation, slammed himself in his room, leaving his friends at the living room looking bewildered.

"Yah!! It was Jongwoon sunbae who did that, not me!" Ryeowook shouted at the closed door.

"How could he turned everything into our faults?" Changmin sulked.

 

"Hey Kyuhyun!" Hyukjae waved his hands at the blank-looking Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun snapped from his thoughts and greeted Hyukjae with a sulking face.

"Woah whats with that sulking face?" Hyukjae asked, "Do you know, whats today's date?"

"Huh? What? You and Donghae sunbae's anniversary?"

 

Kyuhyun happened to know Hyukjae's boyfriend was Siwon's best friend in high school, after Hyukjae learnt from Siwon that they were schoolmates in high school. He was shocked to know Donghae sunbae became Hyukjae's boyfriend, and unknowingly, he felt more comforted with Hyukjae around him. Probably because he knew they were of the same kind...to like guys...

No... Kyuhyun don't like guys. He only likes Siwon...

 

"Tsk. How can you forget your own birthday?!" Hyukjae pushed Kyuhyun's forehead slightly, "Your birthday, its 3rd February, right?"

Kyuhyun nodded. 

"And its today!" Hyukjae grinned widely, showing his gummy smile.

 

OH... Right...

He was so preoccupied with Siwon's schedules and the upcoming trip to Maldives...that he totally forgot his birthday.

So much so for a person who acquired the skill in remembering everything.

 

"I...just forgot... Anyway, its not a big deal for birthday..."

"How could you say that? Birthday is important! It represents the evidence of your existence in this world! Come, I insisted in treating you for a birthday lunch!" Hyukjae dragged Kyuhyun up from his seat, and pushing him off the desk.

"Hey!! I can't go!! Sajangnim..." Kyuhyun protested.

"Nah, don't worry about him. He probably will be having lunch with Yuri, discussing the trip to Maldives. Awww so romantic. Maldives with his love one on Valentines' Day." Hyukjae laughed at his own jokes.

Kyuhyun's face dropped a little at the mention of Maldives once again. He couldn't help but feel a little more dejected when he imagined Siwon and his girlfriend lying on the white sands, looking up at the blue sky and green clear ocean. And making love to each other at night with waves surrounding them...

 

"I have already got Sungmin off his desk as well. Lets go celebrate your birthday!" Hyukjae took the chance and pulled the dazed Kyuhyun away from the office.

And Kyuhyun could only allow Hyukjae to drag him to wherever Hyukjae wanted to bring him to.

 

What they didn't know, was that Siwon had heard the conversation from his room.

 

"3rd February, Kyuhyun's birthday..." Siwon mumbled, and smiled to himself as he had a small thought in his mind.

 

When Kyuhyun got back to the office, Siwon was still not back from his own lunch.

Must be having a good time with that Yuri... Kyuhyun sighed as he sank himself down his chair.

 

As he was ready to get back to work, something on his desk caught his eyes. 

It was a packet of ramyeon, with a note of message on the packet.

 

"Happy Birthday Kyuhyun. Hope you enjoy the ramyeon. No one will snatch it away this time."

 

Ramyeon?! Seriously... Who would give a packet of Ramyeon as a birthday gift?

......

Kyuhyun gasped as he remembered a night...where he was screaming in the phone at Changmin.

 

HE HEARD ME?! 

----------------------

Its been more than a week since Kyuhyun's birthday. Nothing much happened as Kyuhyun did not dare to confront Siwon. And Siwon did not show any hint of him knowing the conversation between Kyuhyun and Changmin. Therefore, Kyuhyun decided not pursue the matter further.

 

Before Siwon departed for the Maldives, he had requested Kyuhyun to take in all the calls for him and to report on the schedules that Kyuhyun had arranged for him.

Not able to see the man for a few days whom he had been seeing for more than a month, Kyuhyun had to control and hide his sadness when Siwon spoke to him.

"Yes sajangnim." Was all Kyuhyun could throw out after all the words from Siwon.

 

And the packet of ramyeon was still kept in the drawers under his desk, occasionally taking out to caress and stare at it, smiling to himself assuming this was from Siwon.

He named it as the "First Gift".