Sophisticated and Cool; a Real Lady

Different Pair that Fits

Chen was barely thinking while on his way to a cab. He opened the left door of the backseat “Yinhe Cafe in 1 Maoer Hutong” he said as he looks at the driver in the rearview mirror

 

Excuse me? This is my cab

 

For second, Chen can tell that the voice didn’t come from the driver since it sounded like a girl. He looked at the right side of the backseat and found a girl sitting there. She was wearing a one piece black short dress with a high slit topped with a black coat. Even though she had shades on, Chen could tell that she giving him the look.

 

“I—I’m—sorry” Chen stuttered as he spoke in English. He never was great in speaking in English. “I’ll go to work—I need this cab” Chen was trying his best to explain himself.

 

“Maybe she didn’t understand me” Chen thought because the girl no longer looked at him. Instead, she took out her phone and dialled a number.

“No police. Don’t call police. I’ll leave--” Chen panicked and tried to stop her but then she started to talk to someone on the phone.

Hello, Daddy? Yeah it’s Chaerin. Can I not go to your dinner meeting tonight? I  just felt like going to—” she looked at Chen “Umm..where did you say you were going?”

“I—I’m—sorry.. umm. Little English” Chen felt stupid and uncomfortable since he can’t explain himself in English.

 

 

“Oh. Ni yao qu nail?(Where are you going?)” Chaerin perfectly spoke in Mandarin.

“Ah, 1 Maoer Hutong” Chen was relieved because the girl can now understand him—well, he can understand her.

Daddy, I’m going to  Maoer Hutong” she nods as she listens to her dad on the other line “Yes Daddy, I’ll be back in the hotel before you know it.” Chaerin hangs up and then looks straight-ahead. “I guess I’ll be going to where you’re headed” she said in Mandarin.

 

Chen nodded. He was amazed how Chaerin can speak so well in English and Mandarin, even if she doesn’t look like an American (well the blonde hair can’t fool him) nor Chinese (he thinks she’s foreign in the country). Aside from that, he is also amazed on how coolly she let him off. She didn’t argue or made any scene compared to the bastard in the cafe earlier.

Chaerin looked at him and said “Do you happen to know any good fashion boutique there?”

“Ahh.. in Nanluoguxiang. It’s far off where I’m headed but it has good boutiques there.” Chen can’t look at the girl since he felt like he’d be searching for her eyes with those shades she has on. “Not girl... a lady” he thought to himself since she looked sophisticated and cool, a real lady.

“Oh ok.” She nodded.

 

Chen kept his look straight-ahead. He noticed the cab driver kept on looking at the rearview mirror. He followed to where the man was looking and realized it was because of the young lady’s short dress and high slit. 

“Aish.. byeontae (ert in Korean)” he said it aloud since he knows that he was the only Korean who could understand what he said. He took off his black apron and told her “Excuse me,” he handed the apron.

Chaerin raised her eyebrows, probably because she didn’t know what the apron was for. Chen can still tell that the cab driver was looking at her that’s why he took the initiative to put it on her lap to cover her exposed thighs.

He felt his cheeks were hot, mostly because he felt shy on what he did. Chen looked at the rearview mirror to meet the driver’s eyes and he smiled to tell the cab driver to focus on his driving and nothing else.

                                                    - - - - - END - - - - -


A/N:

It's done. Not much message for now.. all I can say is--thank you & I'll do some adjustments next update