Chapter Nineteen

Beautiful Perfect People

At 8 o’clock in the morning and not a second late, the beginning notes of Caelum’s National Anthem rattles through the thick walls of Luhan’s apartment building, loud and rousing the city from slumber like a universal alarm clock.

Even with his eyes closed and a pillow pressed tightly over his head to both block out the song and hopefully smother himself into deep unconsciousness, Luhan can still recite every word verbatim. The national anthem was played in all schools, early in the morning right before students begun classes. The instrumental was also played in planned intervals throughout the news broadcast channels.

Despite the high soprano voices singing praises for their leader and savior, Luhan somehow manages to hear his cellphone give off a low two-second ring. The model lets a tortured groan slip pass his lips as he sticks his hand out for the device on his nightstand, hoping it’s anyone but President Kim. At the moment luck seems to be on his side, because instead of a berating message from President Kim, Luhan receives a cheeky message from Yixing and despite wanting the day to be over with, he can’t help but let an affectionate smile grace his lips.

Happy Day of Sovereignty! I bet the CNS never looked as good to you as it does today. Can’t wait to hear all about your time at the gala.

The Day of Sovereignty was one of only two holidays for the country. It was a day celebrating the formation of Caelum after the last battle in the Great War. It was a day to celebrate not only the Great Ruler, but also the many veterans that belonged to a disbanded army. To commemorate the day, there were many small celebrations, but most people tuned into the parade of dated military weapons and their modernized counterpart.

What had initially started as a celebration and promise of an ended war and peace to come, quickly evolved into a show of government power with the rise of the rebellion. Despite the disbandment of an official military force, there still existed two police divisions. The first being National Security which dealt with all things Red Devils and terrorist related. The second being District police, which dealt with petty crimes within the cities.

Most of the city’s residents usually choose to watch the parade in person, while the wealthy and elite held a gathering in District One as a means to socialize and celebrate the day.

Another message comes whizzing through before Luhan can think of a reply to Yixing, and the slightest bit of bitterness arouses within him as he reads the second message. He does his best not to reply to Yixing’s message with an envious “Lucky Bastard” as he thinks of how Junmyeon gets to skip out another year of public humiliation.

P.S. Junmyeon says if you see his parents don’t tell them you've met with him.

This year marked the return of Junmyeon and Yixing to the city after two years of being away; however, the two high-ranked members of Caelum National Security would be missing out on the event once again, this time because they would be participating in the parade. The pair was in charge of being escorts, which meant they would be leading the parade in a black air-conditioned jeep.

Luhan was well aware of how happy Junmyeon was at missing the party in favor of leading the parade.  Years after his failed engagement he was still the wealthy class's favorite piece of gossip.  The only thing that stopped his parents from treating him as an utter disappointment was his rank in CNS.

Yixing on the other hand, who was charming to a fault, had no enemies. He was his parents' pride and joy, and even his ex-partners graced him with a certain type of affection that usually wasn’t seen amongst former lovers. Out of all of their friends, Yixing enjoyed the gatherings because he was always treated well amongst the other elites.

Have you ever realized that all your friends happen to be failures or did you plan for it to be this way?

Luhan doesn't see Yixing's reply to his message until after he has showered and dressed.

You've finally realize my master plan I see. Don't be stingy on the tales. My day won't nearly be half as eventful

Luhan grins at the message. Yixing had joined the security force to be a part of the action and the traveling and although escorting the parade was much tamer, Luhan knew Yixing looked forward to it. Even though Yixing was not a very conceited male he did tend to enjoy having all eyes on him.

Like every year President Kim sends a car for him in the mid-afternoon, and like every year Luhan takes the chance to glance at every red and white flag dangling from their poles and swaying in pixelated images on digital billboards as he exits his building. It's a means for stalling, for delay, in hopes that the car faces a massive gridlock and Luhan misses the gala. Those wishes never come true, most of the traffic is in the direction of the parade which is always held in the opposite direction of the gala.

It takes less than half an hour for the car to reach its destination. The Grand Capital Hall is located in the center of District One amongst all the many government buildings. The tall white marble building houses four rooms for large gatherings, a vast auditorium, and a grand ballroom. The tinted windows, reflect the brightly burning sun and all the various white buildings surrounding the hall.

Luhan muffles another groan as he follows after a familiar couple, the woman’s hair is done up in an extravagant curled style and her peach colored dress slows her down as she climbs the steps. Luhan had a rather volatile affair with her when she had been separated from the man whose arm she’s currently latched on to. Luhan follows three paces behind them, his hands pocketed in his slacks as he watches the couple converse in soft whispers.

The vast room is already filled with tons of people chatting in various groups. Intricate designs are etched in the upper walls and curved ceilings of the ballroom, and a large gold chandelier hangs from the center.  The tall glass windows reflect the brilliant green garden with the healthiest trees, and grass Luhan has ever witnessed within the city. The garden’s hedges make up a miniature maze, in at the center lies a man-made pond. The ballroom is one of the few places in District One Luhan doesn’t completely detest despite his lack of enthusiasm for any and all parties thrown there. From its tall marble pillars at the entrance to the plush cool grass of the garden, the place had always mesmerized him when he was young, and now as an adult every visit brought a sudden burst of nostalgia and longing.

Kris meets him at the entrance of the ballroom, with a glass of champagne held in each hand.

"Is one for me," Luhan asks, trying to refrain himself from snatching one of the glasses away and downing it in one go. "Please tell me one of those is for me."

"You've barely been here for sixty seconds," Kris replies, passing one of the glass flutes to Luhan. "Keep it up and you'll be utterly drunk by the end of the night.”

"Well I am in the enemy's territory,” Luhan replies, slowly sipping from the drink. "If It's like any other year President Kim will corner me when I least expect it say something unpleasant at best and ruin my mood for the rest of the week. Speaking of which, you came with your father right? I bet that was one hell of a car ride."

The grimace Kris makes has Luhan snickering softly after quickly swallowing down the rest of his drink.

 "Don't remind me,” Kris mutters. “I have to share the car home with him as well.”

"For once I feel grateful my step-father hates the idea of us being in the same place for longer than necessary.”

The pair keep to themselves for a bit, catching up on things. When Kris asks about Minseok, Luhan feels a rush of silly giddiness as he recalls the day prior. The pair had spent their whole day together, and despite utilizing his best persuasive techniques to make Minseok spend another night, the slightly older male had left in the evening, promising to meet with him the day of the holiday.

The two males eventually realize that they can’t ignore those around them for too long, and as time continues, they find themselves mingling with the guests. Kyungsoo, of course, is also at the gala but since he’s with his parents, Luhan only manages to utter a hello to them, as he is swept off into a different direction, chatting with gossiping women, and mildly erted men. Luhan isn’t a business man, he’s not married into wealth, nor was he born into it, and therefore the only people that really acknowledge his presence are people either interested in the inner workings of the entertainment world or the ones interested in him.

As the day persists, Luhan finds himself standing beside one of Nessen’s board members as the older man leads the small crowd into a toast. A toast to wealth, happiness, and health for the Great Ruler and all the people in the room as the man proclaims into the open air. All the attendees lift their glasses in glee and swallow down a bit of the champagne in hand, Luhan chugs it like a shot.

“Should you really be drinking like that,” he hears, and freezes in place. He knew President Kim would come to him eventually, his coming to ruin Luhan’s evening was just as traditional as the rest of the day. He turns to face the older man, and bows his head in respect, eyes straying to the glossy floor below his feet as he tries to brace himself for whatever President Kim will say or do.

“The dog is starting to learn manners I see,” President Kim remarks scathingly. “Should I thank my secretary for this? Maybe keep him around a bit longer.” Luhan doesn’t speak, instead he lets his eyes stray to the black leather shoes President Kim is wearing, unconsciously gripping the glass in his hand tighter.

“What,” President Kim asks rhetorically, laughter imprinted on his tone. “No defiant word, no pathetic glare? It seems he’s trained you too well in all your free time.”

“Why,” Luhan finally says. His curiosity behind the reason President Kim had poised an embargo on his work drawing the word out before he could stop it.

“Why,” President Kim repeats, “and here I thought you’d be grateful for all the time off. Ah, but nothing is free, you’ll see what I have in store for you soon child.”

Luhan glare is transfixed on President Kim’s back as he watches his boss stalk away from him with calm and dignified steps.

“Stop glaring, before people think you’re trying to burn a hole in his back,” he hears from the right of him.

“But I am,” Luhan replies, turning to his manager and friend.

“We can’t have others know,” Kyungsoo says in return. “It’s unsightly on this day of celebration.” There’s a small fond smile on his lips as he rolls his eyes in mock. Luhan smiles as well, remembering that although Kyungsoo was not seen in a bad light even after refusing to follow in his father's footsteps of a high positioned spot in the CNS, he still held a deep hatred for gatherings of such.

It was a bit ironic that the one that kept most of his District One sophistication had such a disdain for the parties. “What did he say,” Kyungsoo then proceeds to ask.

A small frown graces Luhan’s lips. President Kim hadn’t said anything particularly cruel this time around, but the taunting was still enough to turn Luhan’s already bad day even sourer. “Well he pretty much revealed he’s the reason behind the lack of work I'm getting, but we already knew that. Apparently I’ll get to repay him for that soon.”

"Well that must mean he’s been loosening the reigns then," Kyungsoo replies dryly. "I managed to get you some work."

"With who," Luhan asks, unless Kyungsoo is right and President Kim has decided to allow him more work then he doubts it's anyone prestigious, and if it is someone prestigious, Luhan wonders what exactly President Kim has in mind for him.

"A luxury men's formal line. You've worked with them quite a few times."

"Will I be alone," Luhan asks next. Kyungsoo never gets to answer his question, because only seconds later, the earth begins to rock violently underneath their feet, throwing the pair off balance. The loud shrieks of the party guests is quickly masked by the reverberation of explosions. The rapid booming sounding like the fireworks usually shown late into the evening, only louder and closer. Luhan has to grip the wall to not lose balance as the ground continues to rock underneath him. Glasses shatter and other unhinged things tumble alongside them, and just as quickly as it begins it stops.

The room is quiet, silence covers the aftermath as people get over the shock of the earth quivering beneath their feet and just as quickly a murmur erupts through that quietness. Everyone begins to chatter all at once, as if they're afraid their next word will be their last. Luhan is quiet as he uprights himself, he sees Kris behind Kyungsoo, breaking from the crowd of frantic people, and Luhan grabs his manager's arm, leading him towards their friend.  The three boys then proceed to dodge the crowd, only stopping when they're outside the building.

It's not quiet outside, despite the emptiness of the streets. Sirens and car alarms blare loud in the empty air as Luhan proceeds to take a look around the area for damage. There are vine like lines against the asphalt, splintering the land. A tall street lamp has been uprooted and has taken up a new home smashed into the city's courthouse.

"You need to be inside," Luhan hears and he turns to face the newcomer. There is a woman, shorter than him with long brown hair in loose waves, she's dressed as if she just stepped out of the party herself. Beside her is the person that had spoken, a man about Kris' height, with a frown on his thin lips. Luhan figures he's either her lover or bodyguard.

"Why," Kris asks. The woman reaches a hand out to hold the male’s arm as she steps forward.

"Because," she begins, Luhan notices then her hesitance, and the way the man beside her shuffles off towards the entrance.

She beckons them towards the entrance hurriedly, and Luhan follows behind her without complaint. He's sure he has seen her before, but at the moment he can't seem to recall where or when he had done so.

The four of them pause outside of the entrance of the ballroom. Luhan can hear from behind the thick doors, how the once hysteric murmur has grown louder in volume. Everyone's voices mix together in a terrified cacophony, and even though Luhan can barely understand a word said on the opposite side of the door, he steps forward in morbid curiosity. He's intrigued and just a bit fearful. He's curious about what has spurred this on, what could possibly be happening at this very moment and second, but he's also worried that once he finds out he'll be another petrified voice added to the ongoing ensemble of panicked noises.

"I'm a member of the cabinet," the woman who had stayed silent up until this point says. Luhan looks at her in anticipation, his stomach dropping at the thought that what just occurred could possibly be more than just natural earth tremors.

"And right now we're under attack.”



First update on the new account!! Sorry about the ending but it sets up everything for the next chapter which will be pretty long ^.^  Also for future notice if all goes well I'll be starting school on Wednesday and I'll have classes six days a week. At the moment that doesn't really screw up my writing time and update time, I'll try to give you a heads up if things change. otherwise expect an update every two weeks at the earliest or every three weeks at the latest(I get more productive when school begins)