Chapter Fourteen

Beautiful Perfect People

Kris’ family owns two homes in District One. The first is the home that his father lives in, a rather huge home located on the other side of the district, away from all of the others’ childhood homes. The house Kris lives in is just as huge, it was the home he’d meant to grow up in with his parents, and it became the home he’d moved into when he was sixteen.

Kris home is heavily fenced in, all the homes in District One are surrounded by giant black brass pickets, and high-tech security systems, but Luhan’s spent so much time at Kris’ that it’s been a rather calming and comforting sight for him.

A servant opens the door of the tall home and greets him with a deep bow upon seeing him. Luhan, like usual, nods his acknowledgement and passes the servant, heading deeper into the home. The house is sparsely decorated like many large houses. The wealthy of Caelum were materialistic people at their finest but their faux humbleness and disgust of clutter and trash stopped them from overly decorating their homes. Even then huge homes were decorated splendidly in some of the most expensive artifacts they could get their hands on.

Luhan's home in his late childhood was decorated in the same manner, boring and yet incredibly menacing. Everything in Luhan’s late childhood had held an air of intimidation, reminding him that he was not allowed to touch, that he was not to really belong.

"You're really determined to make me behind on my work aren't you," Kris asks, his voice is rough as if he'd been using it all day but it carries easily to Luhan. Luhan glances up and approaches the stairs Kris stands at the top of.

"You're the one who came out here to greet me on your own accord," Luhan states a smile on his lips. "I've done nothing so far to bother you. I know the room I'll be staying in." He reaches the top of the stairs and looks into Kris eyes with fond amusement.

"What are you doing here," Kris asks.

"See," Luhan says, with a teasing lift to his tone. "You've stopped on your own accord just to gossip."

"It's not gossip if I'm looking to figure out what caused you to come here tonight." Luhan leans against the railing and sighs softly his gaze falling to the floor below him, and his air of playful amusement slipping away.

"I'm tired," Luhan says. "I didn't want to go home or go out."

Kris wraps an arm around Luhan's small shoulders and leads him towards one of the spare bedrooms. "Will you tell me why or should I just leave you to fight for your sleep?"

"You can help tire me out," Luhan jokes in a suggestive manner, he enters the room first and beckons for Kris to follow him in. "If I did something stupid enough to get me killed would you still stand beside me?"

He falls onto the bed, every ounce of tension leaving his body as his limbs meet the fluffy sheets below him. The bed in Kris's spare room has both a familiarity and foreignness that soothes Luhan.

"Are you planning something foolish," Kris asks. "I can deal with everything you already do, the drinking, sleeping around, and partying is fine even though I'd rather you didn't. If you plan on doing something that you know will get you killed then I'll just find a way to stop you."

"Are you threatening me Kris," Luhan asks, a small laugh bubbling from his lips. "That was just a 'what-if' question, I'm not planning to do anything particularly foolish."

"What did you even do today," Kris asks sitting on the bed beside, "why are you asking strange what-if questions?"

"Minseok spent the night at my place," Luhan recalls.

"The secretary," Kris asks.

“I think he might be more than just a secretary,” Luhan admits his suspicion.

“What does that mean,” Kris asks. “If he isn’t just a secretary then what is he?”

“President Kim came to my apartment,” Luhan says. “He said some strange things about Minseok. It’s a silly suspicion, but…”

“Minseok is President Kim’s right hand, so it makes sense for you to be suspicious,” Kris says interrupting him. “President Kim also a very conniving person.”

“So I’m not paranoid,” Luhan asks.

“Well what they might be hiding might not even be anything serious,” Kris states. “Anyway, I know you’re not here to talk about what President Kim may or may not be hiding with his personal secretary. Will you tell me what you’re really here for?”

Is it really that strange,” Luhan asks. “If the person you were interested in happened to work with your father would you not be suspicious?”

“I wouldn’t be interested in anyone that works directly for my father on principle,” Kris states.

“Well, you’ve always had better control than me,” Luhan remarks. “Don’t you have work you need to finish up?”

Kris nods his head and stands. “Sleep well Luhan."

"Don't work too late," Luhan replies.

Luhan wakes in the middle of the night, eyes snapping open in frantic panic and breath coming out in short harsh bursts. The room is an unlit inky black, and Luhan can see it’s still dark outside, beyond the large ivory curtains guarding the windows. He hasn’t been asleep for long.

 He dresses in the clothes he’d stripped off before falling asleep and exits the room. The corridors light up as he edges his way to the kitchen, only to find himself stopping in front of the master bedroom. He knocks softly, knowing full well that Kris is more than likely still awake.

He gains a rough "come in," from the other side of the door and enters Kris' bedroom. In the hours since Luhan had fallen asleep, Kris looks worse for wear. Dark circles reach below bloodshot eyes, and his usually pristine hair is ruffled as if he'd been sleeping.

"Are you behind in work," Luhan asks walking over and leaning against the desk. Kris shakes his head and runs a large hand through his hair.

"I'm leading a meeting in a few days with a new client and my father’s going to be there. You had a nightmare?"

"Don't I always," Luhan replies, a tortured smile on his lips.

“They seemed a bit more under control recently.”

“It comes and goes,” Luhan says with a shrug, “If I’m not having terrible dreams, then I’m not able to fall asleep easily.”

"Do you want to try sleeping in my bed," Kris asks and Luhan shakes his head.

"Tell me about Park Chanyeol, Kris,” Luhan challenges.

"There is nothing to tell," Kris replies. "He came to me looking for a job with little experience so I said he could be my intern till he has enough experience for full employment."

"And that's the part I don't understand. Why the sudden act of kindness? Why this Chanyeol?"

"It wasn't an act of kindness. It was an act of desperation, of selfishness. I was feeling overwhelmed and then he'd snuck in demanding a meeting with me so I decided why not use him to lessen the burden. It was a win-win for both of us."

"So attraction played no role in this," Luhan presses.

"Has it ever," Kris replies.

“Have you at least done a background check,” Luhan asks. “Isn’t it a bit suspicious that he would just suddenly appear to you pleading for a job out of nowhere.”

“Don’t try to pawn your paranoia off to me,” Kris replies. “I had Yixing meet him.”

“And he loved him,” Luhan asks with a scowl.

“Well,” Kris says, “Yixing says he seemed as harmless as a bunny. Why do you seem so upset?”

“I’m not,” Luhan replies, “He’s cute, but he seems so open. It makes me uncomfortable.”

Kris laughs then, shaking his head in amused disbelief. “Only you would be uncomfortable by someone who doesn’t seem to have any secrets. You’re supposed to like them Luhan, they’re easier to understand.”

Instead of speaking Luhan frowns, hand reaching to touch Kris' face. The male freezes underneath Luhan's gentle caressing, eyes narrowed in earnest curiosity as Luhan uses his thumb to prod underneath Kris' eyes. "Do you still refuse to see a physician," Luhan whispers in concern.

"You know what I think about them," Kris replies voice stiff.

"I know," Luhan agrees, "but there are these pills, my physician says they help us keep up with the others."

If Luhan's honest he doesn't like referring to the second generation of Perfects as Next-Gens, it sounded like they were better versions of Luhan and Kris, and even though they so obviously were he didn't like being reminded of that. First Gens were as much of a minority as Imperfects, only First Gens weren’t openly persecuted. Their world consisted mainly of the Perfects that didn't kill their hosts at birth. Hosts because mothers who were injected with the very first gene had stopped being mothers and became experiments. The many deaths the first gene had caused had been strictly labeled a terrible side-affect, as if their life meant no more than a loss penny.

"I never needed help in keeping up with the rest and if I remember you didn't either," Kris retorts, focusing back on his work.

"Times have changed," Luhan replies with a cynical chuckle.

"Do you take your sleeping pills," Kris asks with concern.

"That's the thing," Luhan says. "The gimmick. You see if I don't take them and I use one of those energy vitamins then I can't function correctly."

"What do you mean," Kris asks his eyes gaze from Luhan to the expensive computer and back again.

“I don’t think they really give you energy,” Luhan explains. “For me, it feels like it just harness whatever energy I still have, and when the affects wear away, it leaves me really drained. I think for others the affects wouldn’t be much, but for me, because of my sleep issues, it completely shuts down my body, and I’m forced to take a sleeping pill unless I want to be pulled from sleep when I have just enough energy to keep my eyes open.”

"You realize you’re selling the idea of going to a physician well right,” Kris asks.

"You wouldn't have to worry about that," Luhan explains standing with a lazy stretch. "Even with nights like this you still get more sleep in a week than I do without pills. You probably have enough extra energy to be used without draining you.”

He walks with slow languish steps to the large bed in Kris room. He sits down first before immediately dropping to lay on his side. He wants to sleep again, his body is begging for it, but the thoughts in his mind are raging a difficult battle, they’re enticing him, begging him to focus on them rather than the exhaustion. "Kris," he calls out and his voice seems so low that he figures Kris wouldn't hear him, but the tall male hums in acknowledgement. "How do you think Perfects die?"

"What," Kris asks followed closely by the sound of small wheels against the floor. "What kind of question is that? Why are you so obsessed with death tonight?"

"When's a good time to be obsessed with it," Luhan teases. He sits up and meets Kris concerned eyes. "Perfects can't contract Imperfect diseases. Our immune system won't allow it, and there aren’t Perfect diseases." His lips quirk slightly at that. "I don't think it's possible to live forever. We still age, and I can’t imagine how a person living to be 300 years old might look. So, if we can't die from disease and we can't live forever, how does one die? When do we die?"

"I haven't thought about it much," Kris admits, "and I'm a business man, not a physician but I figured we died two ways. One being from external causes..."

"Like murder," Luhan interrupts. Kris frowns at Luhan's blunt words but nods solemnly.

"The second being that our body just eventually shuts down on us, like an old computer. I kind of thought that in the very distant future our hearts would eventually give out on us while we slept." Luhan nods his head thoughtful at Kris words, if there was a way for Perfects to die, those ways all made the most sense. They might have been unable to contract diseases, but they weren’t completely invincible, and neither were their organs, it made sense that things would deteriorate with age, even if it took longer for a Perfect compared to an Imperfect.

He feels a weight settle onto the bed, followed by Kris' hand grabbing onto his own. He looks to their joined hands as Kris calls out to him voice strained and tight. He looks up then, and stares into Kris worried eyes, as Kris looks back, eyes narrowed into a steady stare as he attempts to read the thoughts in Luhan's head.

"Why do you keep bringing up death? You promise you aren't planning to do something foolish right?"

Times like these make Luhan want to pet affectionately at Kris head and assure him that everything will be alright. Kris was his first friend when he'd been inducted into the world of wealthy. Shy and reserved Kris had made friends with shy and fearful Luhan and they were inseparable ever since. They were as close as two people could be without being lovers or family, they understood each other and shared their deepest insecurities with one another. He holds tightly at Kris' hand and gives a smile, it's a sad little smile, but it's meant to reassure Kris and nothing else.

"I promise I won't do anything foolish. I was just curious. I've had these thoughts in my mind for a while and you're the only person I can really talk to about it." His smile changes, it's a little stronger, a little happier. "Looks like I distracted you again,” he teases.

Kris frowns and glares at him. He stands and turns narrowed eyes onto Luhan, “Go to sleep Lu, so I can get my work done.”



Here have some late night musings featuring KrisHan. This is in the same night as last chapter for those who may have forgotten (it's been so long and I'm sorry.)

Anyway for someone who is barely competent with photoshop I was really picky about the cover/poster for this fic and made my own since I wasn't sure how to translate my vision into words for a request, heck it took me a few hours to translate my vision into an actual vision and I'm still not completely satisfied. Also there are lots of reason why this update is late ranging from personal issues to the fact that I just moved and I am only updating now to avoid cleaning and unpacking, but I've been writing and you have great things to look forward to^^.