Chapter Ten

Beautiful Perfect People

“So will you tell me why you wanted my info so badly if you weren’t going to use it till now,” Minseok asks, through the video call. He’s in a subway car on his way home and the signal is so muffled that his voice and the video goes out of sync and Luhan sees his lips moving before he actually hears the words. It had been nearly a week since Luhan had asked for Minseok’s Information and until now he’d barely contacted the boy outside of the occasional phone call.

He grimaces slightly before speaking, “there should be something done with the subway connection. I needed your information because next Friday I’m having a party, you’re invited.” Minseok’s lips move, and his eyebrows rise before the words are actually heard.

“A party,” his voice cracks due to the static and the image lags once more. “You’re not allowed to have parties anymore. That was the first thing I learned about you.”

“You asked about me,” Luhan asks, a grin on his lips and eyes sparkling. In the short time he managed to get to know Minseok he was sure that the older boy would wittily deny it.

“No, I was told about you,” Minseok replies. “Your parties were considered legendary when you could have them. You’re not supposed to have them.”

“It’s a small gathering really,” Luhan tells him, “besides Kyungsoo, Sehun, and Kai, you’re the only person from Nessen I’m inviting. You’re also the only person in direct contact with President Kim, so if you don’t tell, I won’t.”

“Hmm,” Minseok muses. There’s more lag on his side, but from the way the camera shakes in a halting motion Luhan can tell that he’s getting off the subway car, and hopefully onto the street. “I’m going to have to use voice only, unless you want me walking into walls because of you.”

“So will you come to my party,” Luhan asks, the screen goes blank before he’s met with the wallpaper of his phone and he decides to play a game on his cellphone. “How far away from your subway stop is your house.”

“Only a few blocks,” Minseok answers. “I’m five minutes away. Why are you so willing to face the wrath of President Kim for a party? I’ve been told you’ve been on your best behavior recently.”

“Honestly Minseok, I’m starting to think you do ask about me,” Luhan says teasingly. “It’s okay if you do. The party’s for two of my friends, they’re a part of the CNS so they’ve been out of the Capital for a while.”

“If it’ll make you feel better about you asking about me, then sure I ask about you,” Minseok says teasing. There’s noise on his end, and Luhan listens as he mutters a soft greeting into the air to tell his parents that he’s home.

“When did I ever say I asked about you,” Luhan asks, sitting down in a chair near the window of his apartment. “I think I see your house from my view.”

“Are you bragging rich kid?” Minseok asks, “and you didn’t say anything, Jongin did.”

“If you come to my party you can see my view,” Luhan says, “it’s the best in District Two, I can see the river from my view.”

“You probably see District Seven then,” Minseok says. “Unless you’re on the edge of District Two.”

“Come to my party and you can find out,” Luhan says in a singsong manner.

“Hmm,” Minseok says. “It’s next Friday right?”

“Do you work on Saturdays,” Luhan asks, he’s unconsciously frowning as he holds the phone up to his ear. They hadn’t gone back to video call and Luhan’s a bit disappointed by that.

“I work late on weekends,” Minseok answers. “I can go to your party.”

“Great,” Luhan says.

****

“Kris,” Luhan mutters, opening the younger male’s office door and stepping into the room. “I’m having a party next Friday and… Who the hell are you?” In Kris’s private office, sitting at the younger Perfect’s desk is a boy with short dark hair, his eyes are wide as he gazes at Luhan, pen frozen in hand.

The boy stands quickly, bowing out of manners. “I-I’m Park Chanyeol sir,” the boy says. He’s tall about Kris’s height, and his voice is deep, but filled with obvious nervousness. Luhan casts a look around the room. It’s still looks like Kris’s office, pictures still lined the desk and with the way the boy was quickly looking from Luhan to one of the pictures on the desk, Luhan was sure that he was staring at the picture of him and Kris.

“Why are you here,” Luhan asks, frowning. Kris didn’t like people in his personal space and this boy had the nerve to sit at Kris’s desk as if he owned the place.

“I-uh,” the boy starts before his gaze flickers to behind Luhan.

“Are you scaring him Lu,” Kris asks.

“Who is he,” Luhan asks as if the boy hadn’t just introduced himself.

“He’s my new intern,” Kris says. He takes the seat Chanyeol had vacated as Chanyeol begins speaking of the paperwork he hadn’t completed yet. “It’s fine, go ask Jongdae about your next assignment.”

The boy grins at Kris and nods his head, bowing politely to Luhan and scurries out of the room.

“An intern Kris, you don’t do interns,” Luhan says, taking up his usual seat across from Kris.

“Why are you here,” Kris asks.

“Why is he here,” Luhan questions in return.

“Lu,” Kris says warningly.

“Fine,” Luhan says. “I’m having a party next week.”

“Where,” Kris asks, eyebrows furrowing as he looks up from his paperwork.

“My place,” Luhan answers. “Where else do I usually throw my parties?”

“You’re not allowed to have parties at your place,” Kris says. “I remember the day President Kim banned them, you came storming into my office and made me behind on work.”

“Your behind is everyone else’s on time,” Luhan retorts. “Look, Junmyeon and Yixing are going to be here for a while apparently and I figured it would be a good excuse to throw them a welcome home party. Nothing large or outrageous, just a gathering with a few people.”

“You don’t have to feed me excuses,” Kris says. “I’m not the one that’s going to face President’s Kim’s anger.”

“Well,” Luhan says. “All I’m asking is for you to find a little bit of time in your schedule to come to my party. You can bring Jongdae and that intern of yours if you’d like.”

“I’ll try to clear my schedule,” Kris replies.

“Good,” Luhan says standing. “By the way, Kyungsoo’s hosting a get-together tonight and you’ll be a dead man if you miss it.” He heads swiftly towards the office door at that, not desiring to stay and hear Kris complain.

Chanyeol is standing near the door when Luhan exits. He's tall, so tall that he nearly towers over Luhan. He'd be threatening if it wasn't for his lean and lanky figure and the ever present smile on his lips.

The boy who'd looked intimidated and frightened upon first meeting Luhan bows deeply. "Have a good day sir," his words are typical corporate sendoff but the happy lift his deep voice brings to it almost makes it seem sincere. Luhan nods his goodbye and leaves the office.

****

Kyungsoo’s apartment is professionally decorated. Luhan’s apartment was a combination of Luhan’s mind and an interior designer’s. Kyungsoo's apartment on the other hand held very little of his personality because the younger male claimed he was too busy to give much thought into the design of his apartment.

That being said, Kyungsoo's very apartment still represented a person from a wealthy and dignified background. It was basic in color, white walls, with cream and black expensive furniture. The only signs of color were Kyungsoo's many pieces of art, such as a century old painting that Junmyeon's family had offered him as a housewarming present. Kyungsoo hadn't and still doesn't know the first thing about art but he accepted it gratefully.

On his glass coffee table between the cream sofa and extremely large television sits a jar of tiny translucent multicolored pebbles. Like a child Luhan would often stick his hand in the jar and gather a fist full before letting the smooth rocks fall back into the jar. It was a mindless but relaxing activity for him. Today, the pebbles find a different use in Yixing's hand. The younger male launches one of the tiny stones in an unaware Luhan's direction, watching as it hits softly at Luhan's cheek before falling to the sofa.

Luhan blinks rapidly in surprise while turning towards his friend. "Did you just throw something at me," he asks, gaze traveling over the sofa to find the tiny projectile. His fingers locate it before his eyes can and he fires it back at Yixing.

They continue their war of throwing rocks back and forth until Junmyeon enters the room and is struck in the chest. Yixing snickers softly as Junmyeon looks down at where he was hit and then up at the two boys, his eyes lingering particularly on Luhan. "Did you just throw one of Kyungsoo's rocks at me?"

"No," Luhan lies, gazing at Junmyeon warily. "Yixing was playing with the rocks, he must have done it."

Junmyeon eyes flicker to Yixing and the younger looks up at him a laugh still on his lips. "Why would I throw a rock at you," he asks Junmyeon innocently as he stands.

"Whatever," Junmyeon replies. "I'm not the one Kyungsoo will kill. I'm going to go tell."

Yixing pouts and Luhan begins his countdown until Junmyeon breaks and helps the boy pick up all the little stones. He meanwhile stealthily sneaks his way out of the room and into the kitchen typing out a message on his phone.

Do you want to come to Kyungsoo's? He's having a dinner thing.

"When is Yifan coming," Kyungsoo asks. His back is turned to Luhan has he finishes up their dinner.

"When he's finished screwing his new intern," Luhan replies distracted.

"Yifan has an intern," Kyungsoo asks sounding as surprised as Luhan felt meeting the boy. "An intern he chose himself?"

Does Kyungsoo want me to come? Isn't this a bit last minute?

"Mhmm," Luhan mutters. "A very tall and very attractive one at that. I don't like him."

The best plans are always last minute. I'm sure he wouldn't mind having you. You're a bit similar.

"You never approve of any of Yifan's lovers, is it because–"

"It's not that," Luhan exclaims finally tearing his gaze away from the cellphone to gaze at Kyungsoo. "Kris doesn't even have lovers or people he’s attracted to, he has people his father wants to work with. There's just something about that twitchy giant that makes me uncomfortable."

Kyungsoo goes to retort when the sound of his apartment door opening and closing distracts him. “Yifan’s finally here,” he mutters.

I sure that’s something only you believe. I’m already home so maybe next time?

Yifan enters the kitchen the moment Luhan glances down to read the message and the taller male sits beside him. “Why the sudden dinner party Kyungsoo,” he asks.

Of course, you’ll have many chances to spend time with me in the future.

“Why not,” Kyungsoo replies, “we’re all together for the first time in a long time and I figured we should do something with just us before Luhan’s big party.”

“It’s not a big party,” Luhan denies.

When they’re settled down at the dinner table, eating a feast only Kyungsoo could make, there is barely any silence. They’re young, each of them were still in their early twenties, but because of their legacy and their career choices they were all forced to grow up faster than either of them wanted.

Junmyeon ends up telling Kyungsoo about the childish rock war that took place in his living room. Both Luhan and Yixing earn a glare from the youngest, because despite Kyungsoo’s lack of caring when it came to decorating, he hated having things out of place.

It’s towards the end of dinner that Luhan decides to bring up Kris’s brand new intern. He still wants to know the exact relationship Kris has with the tall male, and Kris is keeping him from knowing just because he wants to torture Luhan.

“Kris, that intern of yours is pretty nice looking,” Luhan compliments, nearly biting the inside of his cheek to keep from smiling.

Kris glances up from his dinner to frown at Luhan, “Whatever you’re planning Luhan, don’t. Don’t you have a secretary to keep you company?”

“I just want to know more about him,” Luhan admits innocently. “Park Chanyeol right? Where did you find him?”

“He came in for a job, and seemed competent enough so I told him to be my intern,” Kris replies. Luhan glances up and locks eyes with Yixing, he almost feels a hint of pity when he sees the brief grin Yixing flashes him, but it quickly dissipates. If Kris had just told him more about the intern, then Luhan wouldn’t have to use Yixing’s thirst for knowing things and expert training against the tall male.

“Well I think it’s good you have someone else on your side besides Jongdae,” Kyungsoo says interrupting, his voice has the marking of finality to its tone and Luhan decides against upsetting the younger. Kyungsoo was still a very precious friend to him outside of their role as manager and model, and the age difference had Luhan dotting on the younger male for years before their relationship took a shift in power dynamics.

****

When the dinner party is over and Junmyeon, Yixing, and Kris leaves, Luhan sits himself on Kyungsoo’s sofa.

“So a secretary,” Kyungsoo says, Luhan watches as Kyungsoo squats down to pick something off his carpet before standing and launching the thing at Luhan. It hits his chest and Luhan frowns as it lands on his lap.

“Why do people keep throwing stones at me,” Luhan asks still frowning as he puts the rock back in its bowl.

“I know a secretary,” Kyungsoo says. “He’s still pretty new on the job, your age, and if the rumors are right, then you know him to.”

“Rumors,” Luhan repeats, turning to face Kyungsoo. “There are rumors about us?”

"Kim Minseok," Kyungsoo asks, his lips pulling into a frown.

"You don't approve," Luhan asks. "As my manager or as my friend?"

"As your manager I really don't see anything good coming out of you being involved with President Kim's secretary. Well, I don't see anything good coming out on your side of this thing. He's President Kim's secretary, President Kim could be using him."

Luhan frowns deeply, looking away from Kyungsoo to think about the younger male's words. "I don't think he'd do that, but it could happen."

"As your friend," Kyungsoo starts. "I don't disapprove. I'm just, I'm worried, we've been working together for years but we've known each other longer. We’re not as close as you and Kris and Yixing, but we're still close and I don't want to see you hurt."

"You think Minseok can hurt me," Luhan asks turning to face Kyungsoo.

"I don't know," Kyungsoo says shrugging softly. "He's from District Eight right? You can tell what people from District One and Two want with just a glance. People from other districts on the other hand are a bit harder to read."

"He's from District Eight," Luhan reiterates. "They all want the same thing, but Minseok..." He pauses and glances towards Kyungsoo. "I don't think you'll have to worry. I'll be fine."



So I don't pay as much attention to upvotes as I do subscribers. The last time I checked upvotes I had between 7 and 20 and earlier when I checked I had over 60 and for the longest I thought it was a glitch. Thank you guys! I really do appreciate the upvotes and subscribers and comments. This is a quick filler chapter that I put together and the next chapter will be Luhan's party.