02

Bermuda Triangle

Play, Listen & Read

 

"The formula for.." I mumbled to myself as I flipped through page after endless page. I awoken earlier for this period specifically, studying for my Chemistry mid-terms that were approaching sooner than wanted. Formulas were printed on my eyelids when I closed them, even after a few minutes that I waited for them to subside, they remained stained. "On page 437, aragon.." I murmured once again, trying to comprehend the approved vocabulary for a college student. My head just couldn't wrap around the words that weren't in my dictionary, my limited vocab. 
Someone knocked on the other side of my bedroom door, disturbing my studying, focused aura. My mother called my name multiple times, requesting me to open my door, before actually entering. On any other day, she patiently waited until I was finished with my tasks, but today, she barged in my sacred grounds. 
"Honey, I have something to confess," she said, sitting at the corner of my bed. The bed spread that was once tidily done was now wrinkled due to her careless actions. I didn't know what had gotten into me, but every motion she did bothered me to the point I was slightly aggrivated. The way her hands were repeatedly swapping from being fisted in her long skirt or clutching at the hems. 
The reply that left my mouth caught me off guard, "What is it?" I was speaking down to my mother simply because she was irritating me at the moment but that was no excuse to disrespect her. But at the same time, the other voice in my head couldn't care less. 
"You know that the reason that your father's business was started because borrowed some money from the Lee company, right?" 
"Yeah, I hear you guys fight about it non-stop." 
Her laugh was strained, definitely not a joking matter as of this moment. She tensed before slowly informing on the other part of the deal, the one that they hoped they could've averted from; only if they would've repaid the loan before the limited time. They agreed to have me to marry their only child, their son that was soon to be up for the thrown of the company. Since money was burnt out of the picture of a way of repaying them, their only valuable property was me. I was to be arranged to marry an arrogant son of one of the wealthiest and prosperous companies in all of Asia. They were one of the many businesses that became globally famous, everyone knew their name and the people who didn't at least acknowledge them was obviously living under a rock. 
It took me a matter of miliseconds to answer her. It was a statement filled with unpleasant words that my parents typically scolded me for but my mother sat there and received my scolding without any complainants. My hurtful words were the only form of expression that can simulate how corrupted my insides felt and the vexation gradually devouring me. I never knew the day that I became deceived by my parents, they were sweet and wonderful people but they only thought of that business that they already knew ahead that it was going to be a bust. I demeaned them. 
"Why are you telling me this now?" I snapped at her. "Out of all the days, if would have known I would have done something to change-" 
"We didn't want you to worry over our struggle-" 
I interupted her instead of allowing her to finish "Am I not apart of this family now?" 
There was a brief period of silence that created a knot to form in my stomach. I was confused, I wasn't nervous nor about to puke, I was disgusted. My mother stated that the men were here to me to my new home with my legally contracted husband, or fiance. That was the reason such great discomfort attacked me at the intestines, wringing them until the feeling of vomitting was burning my esophagus. 
Knewing I couldn't escape with those men standing right out the door, I grabbed a backpack. At least if I was being whisked away, I can carry some type of object that could aid my reminiscing; my iPod. I popped in both of my headphones, allowing the soothing melodies to numb me from my pain, hopefully enough to distract me at the moment. No matter how much I attempted to bite back my emotions, I possibly couldn't. I cried, more like sobbed. It was an action to defend me from hurting anymore as of today. 
I mouthed, "No, I'm not alright at all. Alright at all."